Kroos "the deal was all but done"

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Although depressing to know we missed out on him, I'm sort of relieved! A player of that talent and a guy who seems to show a lot of respect to other deserved a great career. Wasting years with LVG and JM would have been a crime.
Aye fecking heartbreaking it would have been.

EtH

Giving LVG carte blanche was the biggest mistake this club made post SAF.

What'd he buy Rojo off? Him analyzing Argentina during the WC!? Incredible that was allowed and that there are top managers out there thinking they can scout multiple players in an afternoon.
When he was managing De Vrij in his own bloody squad. But he needed a left-footed CB for the left side CB position. The man is insane.

Martial

He is the type of class who would have almost certainly just elevated everyone else in the team, sort of like Bruno.

It's sliding doors stuff, but then again we have come away fortunately to say the least with such moments in the past with Fergie.

arthurka

Glad he didn't come here. Would have been a travesty to shower him with our shite.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Well, knowing that in the 3 seasons he won 3 CLs we were busy with not getting out of an easy group, then spending the season in the EL and then being embarrassed by Sevilla, I am kind of glad the transfer didn’t actually happen.

izec

Van Gaal wasn't his biggest fan, it was obvious he preferred Schweinsteiger. That is what happens when you randomly appoint managers. Same with Moyes and Thiago. Moyes wanted Kroos and Fabregas.

Shit happens. Toni Kroos wouldnt have turned our fortunes around and he probably would have been gone after a couple of unsuccessful years without silverware. Our problems run deeper.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
When he was managing De Vrij in his own bloody squad. But he needed a left-footed CB for the left side CB position. The man is insane.
Snubbed Virgil Van Dijk too in favour of Bruno Martins Indi and Terence Kongolo :lol:

What a fetish the man had for left feet.

izec

Snubbed Virgil Van Dijk too in favour of Bruno Martins Indi and Terence Kongolo :lol:

What a fetish the man had for left feet.
It was all about balance for him. One thing is gor sure though, McTominay and Fred wouldn't be starting under him.

Swordsman

Depressing shit, but every time I feel horrible disappointment at missing out on a player, I remind myself it's not as bad as when we missed out on Ronaldinho. Oddly, that makes me feel a bit better.
missing out on paul gascoigne was up there too. SAF himself said he regret missing out on signing gazza.

The reason he miss out is a freaking house.

Vernon Philander

He would have won nothing here.

Instead he assisted Ronnie in winning his 3 CLs in a row, and allowing him to semi retire by coming here.

Siezard

missing out on paul gascoigne was up there too. SAF himself said he regret missing out on signing gazza.

The reason he miss out is a freaking house.
Wayne Rooney is the next Gazza named Wazza.

Isn't Luke Shaw the next Wazza? Named Shazza

Lee565

Van Gaal wasn't his biggest fan, it was obvious he preferred Schweinsteiger. That is what happens when you randomly appoint managers. Same with Moyes and Thiago. Moyes wanted Kroos and Fabregas.

Shit happens. Toni Kroos wouldnt have turned our fortunes around and he probably would have been gone after a couple of unsuccessful years without silverware. Our problems run deeper.
Makes me forget that moyes actually wanted to improve our midfield, in fairness mourinho did the same but van gaal and ole are the opposite.

MrSingh2002

If only Moyes wasn't so shit that he had to be fired.

Kroos is up there with the biggest misses for me.

Kroos, Thiago and Strootman were so close together and could have completely changed the last few years struggles with the midfield.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I think loads of people thought it was all fake news when Moyes said 'lots of big players want to sign for me'. This is the first real confirmation that the story was true.
yeh but the number of times I heard Kroos was signing or this club or that club...

Cloud7

Bet he isn't upset that this didn't work out :lol:

Would have been great to see him here though

Chairman Steve

I’d rather have a studs up tackle to the balls than read any more of these stories this season.

croadyman

Elite player, elite mentality, he gets it and we would have gotten it.
What the bloody hell was LVG playing at pulling the plug on this deal. Surely the club knew Moyes had something in place when sacking him

flappyjay

Lvg might have been the better coach but Moyes could see what was needed in that team. Moyes wasted his 1st summer chasing Fabregas after failing he went for Kroos. He knew we needed a playmaker.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I've gotten over him to be honest, we would have ruined like all the others anyway.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
What the bloody hell was LVG playing at pulling the plug on this deal. Surely the club knew Moyes had something in place when sacking him
The weird thing is after Van Gaal got the sack he moaned that we couldn’t attract the big names - “I thought Manchester United could sign anyone!”. We had Toni fecking Kroos gift wrapped and you turned him down you mental case.

Red00012

Lvg might have been the better coach but Moyes could see what was needed in that team. Moyes wasted his 1st summer chasing Fabregas after failing he went for Kroos. He knew we needed a playmaker.
Moyes pissed away the summer fecking around and ended signing Fellaini on deadline day

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Confirms the myth.

It’s been confirmed by himself years ago and someone still asked him the question :(

Oh we also ignored Thiago despite he wanted to come here and called Rio so he could come here. :(

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Pretty sure the season when the club didn’t want to sign Thiago despite of player begging to Rio to sign him was the moyes season.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Just signing Kroos would have made no difference to our fortunes IMO. That alone isnt enough to change anything significant.

croadyman

It’s been confirmed by himself years ago and someone still asked him the question :(

Oh we also ignored Thiago despite he wanted to come here and called Rio so he could come here. :(
Got it stings like feck we missed out on both

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Just signing Kroos would have made no difference to our fortunes IMO. That alone isnt enough to change anything significant.
It would at least save from over-spending on Pogba for 89m and lost him for free years later as well as less drama. He might even be strong candidate for the captaincy right now.

NoPace

Kroos would have single-handedly turned us coherent I think.

More fodder for the insane but correct theory that if we'd given Moyes more time it would have been a much better decade even though he absolutely would have gotten fired at some point, though from a fairly strong position.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Moyes was shit for us and deserved to be sacked, no doubt. But...

One can't help but wonder what would've happened if we had kept him for another season instead of appointing LVG. For all his faults, Moyes did seem to understand where the main problems lay in the squad.

Andrew7582

One can't help but wonder what would've happened if we had kept him for another season instead of appointing LVG. For all his faults, Moyes did seem to understand where the main problems lay in the squad.
That wasn't exactly rocket science was it, any idiot could see that our midfield options were garbage. United fans had been complaining about it for years.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

He played his role in making the squad shit too. Going by reports he didnt confirm Thiago transfer, then Van Gaal followed up the mess by rejecting Kroos.

But yeah he had right ideas on squad, he also identified CF as weak position when we had RVP and Rooney, at that time it didn't look right and one year later it was a problem position. IIRC it was reported that our CFs lack physicality and pace, Cavani's name was floating around even though he just moved to PSG.