Kuyt Retires - Recall His Great Career & ''Unreliable Evidence'' About Suarez/Evra Right Here

Snafu17

He was essentially a shit Park throughout most of his career but fair play for the way he ended it. Tittle winning hattrick in your last game ever is a pretty special way to go.

RU Devil

Yeah, despite his ties to Liverpool, you have to respect someone who has got the most out of his talent. Not one that can break a game open by himself, but always working for the team and willing to play where assigned. Plus he goes out as a champion. A top class donkey, and I mean that in a nice way.

Akshay

Staff
Suppose it's the same as someone whose favorite was Park. People like grafters.
Maybe it's just me but the only fan I met for whom Park was his favourite United player was a Korean. Obviously plenty of people liked Park a lot, but usually a more talented player is the favourite.

He was many people's favourite player.

Besides the obvious workrate, commitment and steely temperament, he was a dead clever player with really good decisionmaking. He knew the footballing manual inside out. Sort of had to to make it at this level given his natural ability and all, but still.

If he had either pace or technique, he would have been brilliant.
Yeah, that's fair. He had that irritating knack of being in the right place at the right time, and he was always a hard worker. I do wonder about that kind of player though, if they'd had more natural ability would they have developed as they did, or just banked on those talents like most other players do? Imagine if Kuyt had Babel's pace, or Babel had Kuyt's nous and determination. I do have to admire Kuyt for how much of a career he made out of himself.

johnamiri

Supports
Liverpool
Reading some of the comments on here make me laugh. This is a guy with over a hundred caps for the Dutch national team. He may not be Denis Bergkamp but a team with 11 Bergkamps will win sod all. You need a couple of Dirk Kuyts in any great team. The guys who will run and battle the whole 90 minutes to get a result. Kuyt had another saving grace. He would score a lot of crucial goals in big games. Marmite could have been named Kuytmite. You either love him or hate him

Goochy

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, despite his ties to Liverpool, you have to respect someone who has got the most out of his talent. Not one that can break a game open by himself, but always working for the team and willing to play where assigned. Plus he goes out as a champion. A top class donkey, and I mean that in a nice way.
Jeez, that made me giggle.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Reading some of the comments on here make me laugh. This is a guy with over a hundred caps for the Dutch national team. He may not be Denis Bergkamp but a team with 11 Bergkamps will win sod all. You need a couple of Dirk Kuyts in any great team. The guys who will run and battle the whole 90 minutes to get a result. Kuyt had another saving grace. He would score a lot of crucial goals in big games. Marmite could have been named Kuytmite. You either love him or hate him
Yes if I didn't watched Kuyt playing in Feyenoord before he went to Liverpool we could think they are talking about someone like Charlie Austin. :lol:

BullishBull

Supports
Liverpool
I always thought if he had pace he would of been an absolute machine.

Ferguson

Kuyt was always a hard worker and a great professional. I was happy for him to end it the way he did.

As I recall he was a deadly goalscorer in the Dutch league before coming to Englsnd where he proved to be bang average, though not as poor as Mateja Kezman. That failure to meet expectations makes it easier to be nice to the guy.

Oh, and his name is actually pronounced KITE not K-OW-T yet for some reason I thought the latter was right

Bloedrood

Oh, and his name is actually pronounced KITE not K-OW-T yet for some reason I thought the latter was right
Nah, Kite is wrong too. Hard to explain in English as I don't think there's similar English words that sound like how his name is pronounced in Dutch.

GuyfromAustria

I really don't find any joy in players who build their careers on work ethic, commitment, professionalism etc., when they are playing at clubs I don't care about, or in this case don't like at all.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Made a good career out of his limited ability through hard work, determination and mental strength. An advert to the average player of what they can achieve with the right application. Hope he enjoys his retirement, the complete polar opposite of the Saido Berahino's of the world who have talent but are lazy arrogant shits. A good career and earned everything he got.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
Won over 100 caps for the Netherlands and was a regular in WC runner-up and third place sides despite being one of the least technically gifted Dutch players I've ever seen. Total respect for the guy and what he's achieved.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Another player that got by on his looks alone.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Always quite liked him, except for the hat trick against us. Seems like a good bloke too. Good time to bow out, as there's no topping a title winning hat trick for him now. That's some way to go.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
Nah, Kite is wrong too. Hard to explain in English as I don't think there's similar English words that sound like how his name is pronounced in Dutch.
It's essentially the vowel sound that Alan Green would use if he were to try to say "Kowt".

Same as how you say De Bruyne by trying to impersonate Alan Green saying "De Brown-uh".

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Superb career, decent if not spectacular player than was better than given credit for.

montpelier

So generally then... for this hugely annoying Scouse bellend.

We think he was crap & not particularly handsome, but quite good in the Dutch League. We salute his achievements what he done playing for Liverpool of all teams & do this despite the hat-trick & him being a treacherous dog who would probably kick his Grandma & then deny it, in order to win the last hand of a game of late-evening cribbage.

I'm completely appalled by some of the content posted on these fora at times. Especially shit jokes that people don't understand that mean you have to amend the thread title, they're the worst ones, :(.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Remember seeing him play long before the Liverpool connection poisoned most of our thoughts about him.

Just thought he was an absolute mediocrity in ever way bar work ethic.

Praising a player for "working hard" is the ultimate back handed compliment.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Great professional and sound person too. Really charitable from what I heard.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Don't get the bitterness. He's not John Terry. We can let it go now, surely? Patrice has. So can we.

Wish him all the best in his retirement and I'm glad he bowed out in style at the top in Holland. Always had a great work ethic and as the poster above said, I too had heard that he was extremely generous with his time and resources to charities and good causes.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Praising a player for "working hard" is the ultimate back handed compliment.
You could flip that and suggest it's possibly the greatest testament of a person's character. Getting to the top through sheer will and effort is to be applauded, no?

Bole Top

always admired his attitude and tbh, to say he was shit version of Park or "just" a workhorse is unfair to him. when you look at some of our players and their injury record, you can't really say that someone "only" has physical attributes and determination, like Kuyt's unlimited stamina, complete resistance to injuries and versatility on field is something that most players have. some players are lucky to survive training and look like they're falling apart at the age of 23 or 24, and then you have this guy who just captained Feyenoord to their first title in years, just a month before his 37. birthday. you can only admire players like him.

Last edited:

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
I think he was at his best when he helped that bunch of kids find that treasure ship and save their parents homes.