Kylian Mbappe

berbasloth4

Be major major difficult for mbappe to turn down that finance, but if he goes know as he is approaching his prime he can never ever be named amongst the greats. If he was to force a loan move to a European club or the permanent move to Madrid early. He could win European cups prove himself in better leagues and when he is close to retiring probably get same money anyway as his stock will have grown

Plastic Evra

He's already so loaded from his PSG years he can probably turn this down without too many regrets. There's been a tendency lately to comment on him in the most cynical way as entirely greedy but I wouldn't be too surprised he's also after glory. PSG failed to build around him (there's a clear policy shift after acquiring Neymar and Mbappé and a downgrade in the quality of other recruits compared to the first era of QSI ownership) but I think it was part of agreeing to an extension on top of the obscene money.

Jacob

Why would PSG be willing to loan him for the seasons? Doesn't make sense to me. You avoid paying his wages but then what - he still leaves on a free.

Plastic Evra

Why would PSG be willing to loan him for the seasons? Doesn't make sense to me. You avoid paying his wages but then what - he still leaves on a free.
The talk, if true, was that they expected a sizable loan fee to at least get something instead of nothing financially.
That and just benching him all season (which was threatened though it's likely empty) would look terrible for the club. Heated national debate level probably.

BULB

A few things being missed here.

If he doesn't go, PSG will make him sit on the bench all season.

How come Real Madrid are being offered him for 150m but the Saudi's are going to pay 250m?

It's not just going to Saudi Arabia for a year, it's a pre-payment for a 5-7 year career at Newcastle afterwards.

As if the Saudi's would invest 1 billion in a player for one year. It might have an option after a year to go to Madrid, but then as planned Newcastle would "hijack" the deal.

Journalists should be all over this fraud. Perfect way for Saudis/Newcastle to get around FFP.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
It's amusing to me that PSG, through media contacts, keep running with this line that "the club is convinced this is happening because Mbappe wants to join Real Madrid as a free agent in 2024."

Wow man what a shock, a guy who asked you to let him go to Real Madrid in 2021 still wants to go to Real Madrid.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Money has never been Mbappé's driver. He could make more money than at Monaco and then PSG. It is disgraceful to paint him as some money-grabber...

Borussia Teeth

Money has never been Mbappé's driver. He could make more money than at Monaco and then PSG. It is disgraceful to paint him as some money-grabber...
I don't agree here. He's staying at PSG this season because he wants his "loyalty" bonus and he wants a free transfer so he can get a huge signing on fee from Madrid. (I don't blame him)

If he wasn't driven by money then he would leave to Real this summer; PSG want to sell him now after all. He has always wanted to go there but if Madrid have to pay a transfer fee then he won't get his big sign on fee.

Yes, he may be rejecting the Saudi money, but playing in that league is well beneath him at this point in his career and he may not want live in the middle east either.

Again, if he didn't care about money he would join Madrid this transfer window. We'll see.

antk

I don't agree here. He's staying at PSG this season because he wants his "loyalty" bonus and he wants a free transfer so he can get a huge signing on fee from Madrid. (I don't blame him)

If he wasn't driven by money then he would leave to Real this summer; PSG want to sell him now after all. He has always wanted to go there but if Madrid have to pay a transfer fee then he won't get his big sign on fee.

Yes, he may be rejecting the Saudi money, but playing in that league is well beneath him at this point in his career and he may not want live in the middle east either.

Again, if he didn't care about money he would join Madrid this transfer window. We'll see.
Why did he want a transfer to Madrid in 2021 then?

JB7

Surely if it wasn’t about money he’d have signed for Real last summer?

Borussia Teeth

Well, he didn't go did he? He signed on with PSG for huge wages, a big sign on bonus and a ridiculous "loyalty" bonus despite not really being loyal to PSG. He's well within his rights to do what he's doing but you can't suggest that he's not after money.

Why is he not interested in going to Real this summer when PSG are actively trying to push him out?

Plastic Evra

Why is he not interested in going to Real this summer when PSG are actively trying to push him out?
To be fair there's no public bid (yet ?) for him from Real or another large European team to turn down.
I suppose this may happen later in the window because the clubs that could afford Mbappé are not in a dire need of a striker immediately (and PSG might be more under pressure to ship him off, if things stand) and the teams below that are exploring other options at the moment.

I don't know Mbappé has been "disloyal" though. In his public communication (which is all we have as peons) he's been ambivalent, sending mixed signal and you can certainly label all the "it's not about the money" "I'm a fan since a child" talk as manufactured and hypocrite. Then again that's pretty much the safe line followed by every pro footballer in this day in age.
He performed at insane levels of production, arguably carried a team poorly built (moreso than the ones before his and Neymar arrival) and raised positively the profile of PSG in France and internationally and really isn't what matters in a work relationship ?

I mentioned Bernd Schuster earlier as an example of a star player sitting out an entire year of his contract over his conflict with FC Barca. Also left for free to Real ultimately, letting on the table a strange offer of contract extension by his club. And I think even the litigation he instigated has some bearings on Mbappé because it was ruled Barca couldn't refuse access to the facilities and training to a contracted player.

Schuster was a real rock star / prick though : Aloof, even weird (somewhat fringe Christian beliefs, supposedly), would shit talk teammates, constantly ask to be the center point on the pitch, call out in the press his coaches, retired early from international career (with intermittent returns) over feuds with the staff, beef with sacred cows like Rumenigge, and constantly threatened litigation of some kind.

Comparatively Mbappé is obviously a lot more curated, smooth and well... inane and on some level fake. Doesn't really sell his supposed fire, drive and hunger for glory.

A few things being missed here.

If he doesn't go, PSG will make him sit on the bench all season.

How come Real Madrid are being offered him for 150m but the Saudi's are going to pay 250m?

It's not just going to Saudi Arabia for a year, it's a pre-payment for a 5-7 year career at Newcastle afterwards.

As if the Saudi's would invest 1 billion in a player for one year. It might have an option after a year to go to Madrid, but then as planned Newcastle would "hijack" the deal.

Journalists should be all over this fraud. Perfect way for Saudis/Newcastle to get around FFP.
I don't think the guy with a plan to live in Monaco, Paris and Madrid is going to turn up in Newcastle any time soon.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It's pointless to argue with ignorant people who refuse to do even the most basic of research.
what a charming person you must be - and, of course, still evading answering the question. You should be a Tory MP

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Well, he didn't go did he? He signed on with PSG for huge wages, a big sign on bonus and a ridiculous "loyalty" bonus despite not really being loyal to PSG. He's well within his rights to do what he's doing but you can't suggest that he's not after money. Why is he not interested in going to Real this summer when PSG are actively trying to push him out?
What he's doing is what many people, including some PSG supporters, thought was his best option. Renew with PSG, stay a few more years, have the chance to win major trophies there, and then when his contract is up he's still young enough to move to a top club of his choosing. If you look through old threads here you'll see that was a common opinion.

PSG had already risked Mbappe leaving on a free so I think most people did not expect they'd be so hellbent on selling, to the point they're trying to kick him out. They're behaving in the exact opposite way as two seasons ago.

Last edited:

dinostar77

Primadonna who wants tactical freedom at madrid and not be the pivot like he is for PSG.

Also Madrid can afford him this summer without breakin ffp.

Last edited:

bosskeano

quite the stand off we have going on right now b/w PSG and Mbappe.....he wants to see out his contract so he can get a FAT signing bonus next summer from Madrid

Hammondo

Primadonna who wants tactical freedom at madrid and not be the pivot like he is for PSG.

I agree with the video but they do produce some crap, full of opinion and bias usually.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

That kind of take is confusing. How often players are criticized for not enjoying a role that limit them? Are players supposed to enjoy everything?

Partridge

I could see PSG benching him, or putting him with the kids. Mbappe probably wont be all that arsed. wait the year out, collect his money, and go. It would be funny to see him benched and not used for an entire year. :lol: it's ok, he got money!!!!

croadyman

Him being supplied by that Madrid midfield is actually even scarier than City's to Haaland

GlasgowCeltic

PSG bench Mbappe, play Asensio instead, realise they've made a massive mistake signing Asensio, sell Mbappe to Madrid and get Dembele from Barca, Perez 4D chess

seegoblu

quite the stand off we have going on right now b/w PSG and Mbappe.....he wants to see out his contract so he can get a FAT signing bonus next summer from Madrid
Don't forget the HUGE loyalty bonus he is allegedly due August 1 from PSG. I'd guess that he will be much more open to a move to Real Madrid after that wire transfer hits his bank account.

Plastic Evra

I could see PSG benching him, or putting him with the kids. Mbappe probably wont be all that arsed. wait the year out, collect his money, and go. It would be funny to see him benched and not used for an entire year. :lol: it's ok, he got money!!!!
Realistically, in a financial sense, they could probably afford it. It would trigger a huge controversy in France maybe up to the President. It's a little bit ridiculous but Sarkozy helped QSI set foot in Paris and Macron loves to insert himself with the national team. Qatar capital in France is a big deal and they probably don't want to antagonize that. Even excluding that, just a year of the rag sport media writing stories every week would be hugely negative publicity. In a sporting sense it may be that Luis Enrique having to work without his biggest asset / biggest handicap* is actually a blessing mid to long term... But no pundit is gonna view it like that.
I think it's more likely Nasser and Mbappé have a big public make out ( a fake one would suffice) or that Mbappé is shipped somewhere on a transfer or a loan.

* I don't think he is the biggest issue of that XI but that's up for argument.

ForeverRed1

he’s a life long Real Madrid fan boy. Real Madrid is his ultimate footballing dream…but then money talks and when you’re being offered such contracts and promises it’s probably hard to turn down. For anyone.

croadyman

he’s a life long Real Madrid fan boy. Real Madrid is his ultimate footballing dream…but then money talks and when you’re being offered such contracts and promises it’s probably hard to turn down. For anyone.
Yeah he will end up there no doubt

ScholesyTheWise

Don't forget the HUGE loyalty bonus he is allegedly due August 1 from PSG. I'd guess that he will be much more open to a move to Real Madrid after that wire transfer hits his bank account.
How do loyalty bonuses work?
Assuming that he indeed gets paid such a bonus on August 1st, a couple of days from now...

Does he have to stay at PSG for the upcoming season so as to not have to hand them this money back?

Partridge

Realistically, in a financial sense, they could probably afford it. It would trigger a huge controversy in France maybe up to the President. It's a little bit ridiculous but Sarkozy helped QSI set foot in Paris and Macron loves to insert himself with the national team. Qatar capital in France is a big deal and they probably don't want to antagonize that. Even excluding that, just a year of the rag sport media writing stories every week would be hugely negative publicity. In a sporting sense it may be that Luis Enrique having to work without his biggest asset / biggest handicap* is actually a blessing mid to long term... But no pundit is gonna view it like that.
I think it's more likely Nasser and Mbappé have a big public make out ( a fake one would suffice) or that Mbappé is shipped somewhere on a transfer or a loan.

* I don't think he is the biggest issue of that XI but that's up for argument.
Yeah, I get that. He isn't the biggest issue and his loss would be enormous. I think psg are stuck. They can try to sell him, but obviously, unless he agrees, he's going nowhere. Thinking about his loyalty bonus. A.loan somewhere won't help, even with a few attached, and there's only four or five clubs that could lay out money for him, and a few of them don't need him per se. Horrible situation to be in.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
How do loyalty bonuses work?
Assuming that he indeed gets paid such a bonus on August 1st, a couple of days from now...

Does he have to stay at PSG for the upcoming season so as to not have to hand them this money back?
You can't know for sure without seeing the contract but some tweets said that it's paid in installments so probably some of it now, some in January post window and then at the end of the season. Even that way 1/3 of 60M is worth keeping his mouth shut for a few days :angel:

ScholesyTheWise

You can't know for sure without seeing the contract but some tweets said that it's paid in installments so probably some of it now, some in January post window and then at the end of the season. Even that way 1/3 of 60M is worth keeping his mouth shut for a few days :angel:
As a great Scotsman used to say - no doubt about that.

croadyman

Surely reliable scouse sources will pour cold water over this loan deal stuff in todays papers