La Liga/Serie A/BuLi Draft - 1st Rd Joga Bonito/Balu vs RedTiger

Who will win with player peaks in the specified leagues (not career peaks)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marty1968

Please remember that players should only be judged by their performances in their assigned leagues for this draft (not career peak)

vs

Team Joga Bonito/Balu.............................................................vs...................................................Team RedTiger

Last edited:

Marty1968

Joga Bonito/Balu Tactics

OVERVIEW

The team employs a straightforward 4-2-3-1 - featuring an exciting and multi-faceted offense, a complete enigne room and a resolute defense. Tactically it's fairly simple with an emphasis on keeping things tight at the back, a facilitatory midfield unit bridging defense and offense; whilst playing a fairly direct game from which our attack would thrive in.

THE BACK LINE
Eike Immel
broke through as a 17 year old in Dortmund and instantly became a success in goal. Having made his international debut at just 19 years old (a record at that time), he went on to be a part of the 1980 Euro winning German vintage as back up to Schumacher. After 8 solid years for Dortmund, he then transferred to Stuttgart for a record transfer for a goalie. He went to win the Bundesliga in 1992 and made the UEFA final in addition to starting in goal for Germany in Euro 1988.

Giuseppe Bergomi is tasked with marshalling the defense and together with his compatriot Ferri, he reforges and impregnable unit at the back - just as they did for two defensively formidable sides in Inter and Italy. An exceptional man-marker, the moustachioed hardman certainly knew a thing or two about about shutting down the opposition, and holding the fort like few others. His trusted lieutenant Riccardo Ferri was an excellent all-round defender who kept the likes of Vierchowod and Ferrara out of the Italian side. Pacy, robust and tactically astute, Ferri's versatility meant that he was equally at home as a side-back/sweeper.

Dani Alves was a real tour de force on the right flank, with his barnstorming runs and sheer creative output - 15 league assists in a single season at his peak for Barca. He simply added a whole new dimension to one of the greatest sides ever with his wingsmanship and quality stream of supply from the right - in addition to linking up brilliantly with the central players on the ball. You can expect him to dovetail well with Häßler, who is certainly no stranger to playing alongside a wing-back, and keep things ticking along from the back with the likes of Dunga and Alonso.

Dedê was a mainstay for more than a decade for Borussia Dortmund and his lung bursting runs were a regular feature of the Die Borussen. A fan favourite, he was a key figure in Dortmund's Bundesliga triumph in 2002, and it's a testament to his longevity that he was still present as a squad player, in Klopp's title winning side almost a decade later. Even during Dortmund's worst periods, he showed resilience and individual quality, providing 11 assists when they fought relegation in 07/08 along with the assist for the last minute equaliser in the cup final that season (which they lost in extra time against Bayern).

ENGINE ROOM

Arguably the best midfielder of his ilk in this draft, Spanish maestro Xabi Alonso is the creative metronome of this ensemble and he would be right at the heart of our team's plays. The Spaniard was an uncanny and a smooth operator capable of both excelling in a lower tempo possession set up (tiki-taka Spain) or being the creative lynchpin of a rapid high tempo side (Mourinho's counter attacking Real). Defensively he was excellent and whilst he excelled at cutting out passing lanes and playing the role of an interceptor, he was also capable of putting his foot down if need be.

The gritty destroyer Dunga screens the defense and plays his usual 'protect and serve' role in midfield as the unsung water-carrier. Tactically impeccable, Dunga's reading of the game in fine blend with his physicality and leadership qualities, made him a formidable presence in the middle. A fine passer of the ball, Dunga's no-frills direct passing was always a key feature for both club and country. In tandem with the central Alonso and Aimar, it most certainly would take some doing to dispossess that trio.

OFFENSE

A sublimely talented playmaker at his pomp, Pablo Aimar could scythe through a defense with both his trickery and vision. El Mago was a talismanic figure for the successful early noughties Valencia vintage which bagged two la ligas amongst several other trophies. The magical Argentine wizard sported a twin-pronged threat on the ball, pulling the strings in the final third or dazzling his opponents with his mesmerising trickery. A rapid trickster and an intuitive playmaker rolled into one, Aimar was damn near unplayable for Valencia.

Goalscoring machine Diego Forlan was amongst the best forwards in the world for Atletico and Villareal, with his fulminating long range missiles and predatory instincts coming right to the fore. 128 goals in seven seasons bagged him two pichichis (the highest for any individual in this draft) and 2 European Golden Shoes for good measure. Whilst his goalscoring exploits were a remarkable feat, it would do Forlan a huge disservice to reduce his la liga career to mere goals. The marauding forward was a inspirational figure for both club and country with his industry, link-up play and dynamism always on display for all to see.

Thomas Häßler was a real livewire whose creativity, incessant running and technical ingenuity made him stand out in a quality WC winning German generation. The pint sized dynamo was a real menace, with his bewildering low centre of gravity giving him the ability to whisk and jinx past players, and his grafting making him a truly pesky presence off the ball. Häßler's tactical malleability and all-round game meant that he was equally at ease at various roles and positions whilst his quality was undeniable.

The lethal hitman Hernan Crespo was a consummate goalscorer who boasted a stunning array of finishes in his arsenal. At his peak at Serie A for Parma and Lazio, Crespo bagged a whopping 101 goals in 170 games (including an incredible 39 goals in just 55 for Lazio), winning the golden boot and earning himself a then-world transfer record of £35 million to Lazio. His horizontal runs behind the defence and his clinical finishing made him a nightmare to face, and a joy to watch. It took him just four seasons to become Parma's all-time top goal scorer and it was no surprise that he was named as Parma’s greatest ever player. It speaks volumes that Crespo is still regarded as being of one of Serie A's deadliest ever strikers in an era where he vied with the likes of Shevchenko, Batistuta and Vieri for top billing.

KEY POINTS

1) Our proven and complementary CB duo and the deep screening midfield fulcrum should match up well against RedTiger's diamond. Esp Dunga, a pragmatic tactical mastermind whose organisational skills and ability to dominate and shut down the central areas, would prove to be invaluable in this match-up against the RedTiger's central threats.

2) A fluid and multi-faceted attack with Forlan's probing runs from his favourite left channels & goalscoring prowess and Crespo's all-round spearhead play, synchronising finely with Aimar's and Häßler's invention and ball carrying threat. All three are well-versed at interchanging roles and playing a fluid game if need be. Forlan, who was as to footed as they come, excelled both from a central position and as an inside left, Häßler was capable of playing anywhere alongside the advanced midfield line and Aimar whilst primarily a central #10, was excellent in the wider areas with his pace and trickery.

It's also notable that both Forlan and Häßler were true grafters in every sense of the word, whilst Aimar was no slouch in this regard too, having played in the exacting Benitez's off the ball system. It's fair to say that they will be quite the forward line to deal with in both basic phases.

3)Dani Alves. One of the greatest wing-backs of the modern era, his combination with Häßler would be a mouthwatering one.

With Alves's wingsmanship and Häßler craft and selflessness, it has all the makings of a threatening flank. Dede's adventurous game on the left ties in very well with Forlan's inside left role, constituting for two balanced flanks.

Last edited:

Marty1968

Joga Bonito/Balu League Peaks

Serie A

Ricardo Ferri - Serie A 1988/1989
Giuseppe Bergomi - Serie A 1988/1989
Hernan Crespo - 2000/2001 Golden Boot, 3 Serie A s.

Bundesliga

Eike Immel - Kicker's top 5 goalkeeper of the year - 1982, 1986, 1988, 1992, 1993; kicker Bundesliga Team of the Season - 1982, 1986, 1992

Dede - 2 Bundesligas
Dunga - Only midfielder to be rated as world class by kicker in Bundesliga for 1994
Thomas Häßler - German Player of the Year - 1989, 1992; Kicker's top 5 midfielder of the year - 1988, 1989, 1990, 1995, 1996, 1997; Bundesliga Team of the Season - 1988, 1989, 1990, 1996, 1998, 2000

la liga

Dani Alves - 5 la ligas; la liga's best defender 2009; UEFA Team of the Year - 2007, 2009, 2011, 2015 etc
Xabi Alonso - 1 la liga; la liga's best midfielder 2012; Spanish Player of the Year 2003;
Pablo Aimar - 2 la ligas
Diego Forlan - Pichichi - 2005, 2009; European Golden Shoe - 2005, 2009;

Sub - Amedeo Carboni - 2 la ligas

Marty1968

RedTiger Tactics

I'm playing a classic 5-3-2 interchangable with 4-4-2(diamond)/3-5-2. I will look to my wingbacks to give width to the formation but i will mainly play through the middle with the overall intent of controlling the middle of the park.

Players.

I have Hamburg and Leverkusen stalwart Hans-Jörg Butt keeping goal, he has a fine pedigree having played in 3 CL finals. My 2 centrebacks are Valencia great Roberto Ayala and Dortmund/Leverkusen legend Christian Wörns. Ayala is considered one of the best CBs in the world during his time with Valencia, as was Wörns during his time in the Bundesliga. Both CBs will be expected to stay back with Wörns venturing forwards to join Sensini when we are in attacking possession. Argentina great and parma legend Roberto Sensini will act as a shield for the CBs and a solid foundation for winning the ball back in midfield. Sensini was used primarily as a CB and DM throughout his career in Serie A, on many occasions he was deployed as an exclusive man-marker. My flanks will be manned by 2 of the best wingbacks in world football during the 90s, Gianluca Zambrotta and Christian Panucci, Both players possessed great pace and defensive recovery accumen. both players were well known to have the capability to man the flanks on their own.

My 3 players 9in the middle of the park are Arturo Vidal, Paulo Sousa and one of the greatest Bundesliga midfielders ever Michael Ballack.

Sousaand Vidal will have licence to roam with Arturo playing his classic B2B role and Sousaoffering protection to the runs of panucci, Ballack act as the main conduit and link between the defensive third and the attacking third.

My front 2 will consist of a young Atletico madrid striker Sergio Agüero and Real madrid and La Liga legend Predrag Mijatović. Agüero will play a second striker role where he will support bothZambrotta on the left and Mijatović up top.

Leagues Represented

La Liga
Roberto Ayala
Christian Panucci
Sergio Agüero
Predrag Mijatović

Bundesliga
Hans-Jörg Butt
Christian Wörns
Michael ballack
Paulo Sousa

Serie A
Roberto Sensini
Gianluca Zambrotta
Arturo Vidal

Reserve
Enzo Francescoli

Last edited:

Marty1968

@Rado_N can you make a poll for us as always?

Who will win with player peaks in the specified leagues (not career peaks)?
Team Joga Bonito/Balu
Team RedTiger

Cheers Rado!

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I was expecting the opposition to line up a little narrow:) I'll have Sensini man-mark Xabi Alonso.
hmm not sure if you can get anything from there, Xabi will play deep so that would mean your Sensini would spend most of the game in AM spot and you will lose your DM for nothing really as joga/balu have xy options in how to move the ball from defence to the final third. If anything you would make yourself weaker as both Hassler and Forlan would drift centrally and you lose your central figure(there is still enough protection from Vidal and Sousa but it would be better with Sensini in there as well).

RedTiger

Half mast
hmm not sure if you can get anything from there, Xabi will play deep so that would mean your Sensini would spend most of the game in AM spot and you will lose your DM for nothing really as joga/balu have xy options in how to move the ball from defence to the final third. If anything you would make yourself weaker as both Hassler and Forlan would drift centrally and you lose your central figure(there is still enough protection from Vidal and Sousa but it would be better with Sensini in there as well).
Then I'll go with what you say:)

Enigma_87

You know who
Mijatovic isn't really playing that far forwards.... My team is set up a little deep and we will look more towards countering any defensive mistakes.
I think it will be better of with changed positions. Mijatovic played off Suker or Morientes. Would look better, he was primarily SS in his peak there.

RedTiger

Half mast
I think it will be better of with changed positions. Mijatovic played off Suker or Morientes. Would look better, he was primarily SS in his peak there.
I'm on my phone for the rest of the night would you be able to put up a new formation for me bro?
Aguero leading the line and mijatovic playing off the right as a second striker

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Don't get Red Tiger's team at all. Don't like JogaBalu's front 3 either. Basically trying to shoe-horn too many central attacking players. Aimar+Crespo is a tasty combination though.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I was expecting the opposition to line up a little narrow:) I'll have Sensini man-mark Xabi Alonso.
Hmmm, I'd say that's a risky move as Sensini is playing as a DM/SWP and man-marking Alonso, a deeper playmaker, would just push him out of position. Also as Sjor aptly stated, we have plenty of options, with Dunga being a proficient passer to boot and Alves capable of playing a supporting 'playmaking' role from the back if need be (just like he did for Sevilla). Needless to say, with Häßler and of course Aimar, we have no shortage of creativity or ball-carrying threat in the side.

So whilst Alonso plays a critical role in our team, I wouldn't necessarily say he is the be all and end all to our team.

EDIT: Just noticed that you withdrew that move, so ignore this.

Don't like JogaBalu's front 3 either. Basically trying to shoe-horn too many central attacking players. Aimar+Crespo is a tasty combination though.
That's a fair criticism, and indeed most teams lack a proper wide flanker giving them a width, purely due to the paucity of quality wingers. Tbf, I'd say we have an excellent RAM in Häßler who has thrived in this role before and featured in several Bundesliga Team of the Seasons as the RM. He had an excellent cross on him and was a quality dribbler capable of stretching play on the flanks.

This shouldn't count as it's a league peak draft but just putting this as a reference point of his game on the right, due to the severe lack of Bundesliga footage available. Also it isn't purely Häßler's highlights in this vid, but he does feature heavily

Also with two wing-backs in Dede and Alves, we have no shortage of width and service from the flanks. Häßler was excellent on the right to boot, and Forlan loved cutting in from his favourite left hand channels, so it's a complementary forward set-up imo - with the forwards having clearly defined roles and not having any significant overlap in terms of their roles and positions.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
That's a fair criticism, and indeed most teams lack a proper wide flanker giving them a width, purely due to the paucity of quality wingers. Tbf, I'd say we have an excellent RAM in Häßler who has thrived in this role before and featured in several Bundesliga Team of the Seasons as the RM. He had an excellent cross on him and was a quality dribbler capable of stretching play on the flanks.

This shouldn't count as it's a league peak draft but just putting this as a reference point of his game on the right, due to the severe lack of Bundesliga footage available. Also it isn't purely Häßler's highlights in this vid, but he does feature heavily

Also with two wing-backs in Dede and Alves, we have no shortage of width and service from the flanks. Häßler was excellent on the right to boot, and Forlan loved cutting in from his favourite left hand channels, so it's a complementary forward set-up imo - with the forwards having clearly defined roles and not having any significant overlap in terms of their roles and positions.
Don't think you can claim that when someone like Joaquin was left out. In any case, it is not Hassler but Forlan's role that I have more of an issue with. With AM he played as a proper 9 with Aguero playing behind him. So this is reversal of his peak role here. It is only for Uruguay he played in this sort of role in 2010 behind Suarez.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Don't think you can claim that when someone like Joaquin was left out. In any case, it is not Hassler but Forlan's role that I have more of an issue with. With AM he played as a proper 9 with Aguero playing behind him. So this is reversal of his peak role here. It is only for Uruguay he played in this sort of role in 2010 behind Suarez.
Hmm, I'd say with Atletico he mostly played in a withdrawn role whilst it was at Villareal that he predominantly played as a proper centre-forward.

Enigma_87

You know who
I really don't like Forlan in that role and to be honest I can't see him working well with Crespo.

I'd also prefer Carboni on the left as well instead of Dede.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I'd also prefer Carboni on the left as well instead of Dede.
Carboni was never going to start for us in this game. The only way to bring him in would be to use Alonso as a Bundesliga player and that makes no sense. We need a physically still at his peak version of Alonso against the strong central core he's up against.

Carboni was obviously the much better defender than Dede, but he didn't really offer more going forward as Dede was a quite good attacking fullback and with no wide threat in RedTiger's team to cause Dede problems in defense, it's really not an issue in this game.

Enigma_87

You know who
Carboni was never going to start for us in this game. The only way to bring him in would be to use Alonso as a Bundesliga player and that makes no sense.

Carboni was obviously the much better defender than Dede, but he didn't really offer more going forward (I'd argue he offers less) and with no wide threat in RedTiger's team to cause Dede problems in defense, it's really not an issue in this game.
Yeah, BuLi Alonso will not be very good option and he's one of your main assets. I do like that midfield set up especially spearheaded by Aimar. That front two somehow irks me and I'm not sure what Hassler's role is in this set up, he was a more of a RM(Beckham style) rather than a winger as depicted on the formation or I'm missing something?

montpelier

this Red Tiger set up could use a few more arrows but I like the Mijatovic, Aguero & Ballack threesome

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Yeah, BuLi Alonso will not be very good option and he's one of your main assets. I do like that midfield set up especially spearheaded by Aimar. That front two somehow irks me and I'm not sure what Hassler's role is in this set up, he was a more of a RM(Beckham style) rather than a winger as depicted on the formation or I'm missing something?
I'd say he is much more of an RAM rather than a right wing-forward or a right sided midfielder in a midfield 4. With Forlan being the more incisive forward on the left, Häßler provides the balance with his creativity and ability to stretch play. There is also a footage of Häßler in post 30, that I'd recommend for more clarification on how he operated on the right.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I'm not sure what Hassler's role is in this set up, he was a more of a RM(Beckham style) rather than a winger as depicted on the formation or I'm missing something?
Häßler wasn't like Beckham. He was much more mobile, a much better dribbler. If anything, one could argue that Häßler would drift inside too much, because he's naturally more an AM than a winger, but it was never a problem when he played out wide and with Dani Alves behind him, there's enough width either way.

I'll let @Joga Bonito argue our team from now on though, don't want to make it 2 vs 1 against RedTiger.

Tuppet

@Balu @Joga Bonito Just saw this on Dunga -

Kicker Ratings -

1993 national level or below
1994World Class O [Central Offensive Midfielder]
1995 national level or below

In his world class season was he actually playing the role you want him to play ?

Enigma_87

You know who
I'd say he is much more of an RAM rather than a right wing-forward or a right sided midfielder in a midfield 4. With Forlan being the more incisive forward on the left, Häßler provides the balance with his creativity and ability to stretch play. There is also a footage of Häßler in post 30, that I'd recommend for more clarification on how he operated on the right.
I'd tend to agree with that if that is his role here, maybe RM position with an arrow would be a more clear depiction, looked like a winger to me in this set up.
Häßler wasn't like Beckham. He was much more mobile, a much better dribbler. If anything, one could argue that Häßler would drift inside too much, because he's naturally more an AM than a winger, but it was never a problem when he played out wide and with Dani Alves behind him, there's enough width either way.

I'll let @Joga Bonito argue our team from now on though, don't want to make it 2 vs 1 against RedTiger.
Nah, not comparing him to Beckham playing style, I mean the zone that he operated. They are quite different alright.