La Liga/Serie A/BuLi Draft - 1st Rd mazhar13/Boycott vs Marty1968

Who will win with player peaks in the specified leagues (not career peaks)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I really like both Bein and Rufer, but I'm disappointed that they will continue to remain unappreciated on the Caf.
Both have been picked for the first time now if I'm not mistaken and it usually takes a few appearances for people to appreciate lesser known players. Even the likes of Netzer and Schuster went from completely anonymous in their first draft matches to vote winners now. You did an excellent job and if there really is interest for a Bundesliga draft in the next few months, I'll run it and I'm sure those two will get to play a bigger role.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Firstly McManaman was better at Madrid than Beckham and secondly he offers more versatility than Becks in that he can play as a true winger or an inside right mid. Beckham was never a winger.
I don't think he was. I also don't think he offers more versatility. You're playing him out of position, that tactic is more suited to Beckham. So you've got a tactic that suits Beckham better, he's the better player for defenders to have in front of him and he's the best passer and crosser in the draft and arguably the best overall set pieces taker. He also scored more goals than McManamanan and crushed him with assists.

The difference between the two is that one managed to get to play for Real before Perez came and subsequently started to ruin the club with his policies.

I don't think there's a situation in terms of the PL or La Liga that I'd have McManaman over Beckham.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
I don't think he was. I also don't think he offers more versatility. You're playing him out of position, that tactic is more suited to Beckham. So you've got a tactic that suits Beckham better, he's the better player for defenders to have in front of him and he's the best passer and crosser in the draft and arguably the best overall set pieces taker. He also scored more goals than McManamanan and crushed him with assists.

The difference between the two is that one managed to get to play for Real before Perez came and subsequently started to ruin the club with his policies.

I don't think there's a situation in terms of the PL or La Liga that I'd have McManaman over Beckham.

Indeed.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

I did mull over bringing Beckham in. His time in Spain is under-appreciated. But you'd end up spend half the thread justifying his role, position and performances.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I did mull over bringing Beckham in. His time in Spain is under-appreciated. But you'd end up spend half the thread justifying his role, position and performances.
He pretty much won them the league title in '07. Capello was being a sour puss towards him but was forced to play him. Turned from "he can't leave" to them trying to buy out the LA contract and stopping him from going.

The season before they voted him as their player of the year but I personally will always take that kind of stuff with a grain of salt. Does point to him being on of their best players but his popularity probably had something to do with it.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Both have been picked for the first time now if I'm not mistaken and it usually takes a few appearances for people to appreciate lesser known players. Even the likes of Netzer and Schuster went from completely anonymous in their first draft matches to vote winners now. You did an excellent job and if there really is interest for a Bundesliga draft in the next few months, I'll run it and I'm sure those two will get to play a bigger role.
Thank you. I must have done something good if I'm getting your praises. :angel:

Just wondering, but how would you rate them against their counterparts in the Bundesliga and Europe? I honestly thought that both were world class players given what I found about them.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I went for @Marty1968 because I think:

- Donadoni is better as a outside midfielder in a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 system.
- Rufer is a central forward, not a winger
- Hard for Bein to play as the only one offensive midfielder

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
- Donadoni is better as a outside midfielder in a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 system.
- Rufer is a central forward, not a winger
- Hard for Bein to play as the only one offensive midfielder
Before I start, I want to ask if you even took the time to read our player profiles as well as our posts regarding the players we had in our team. It seems as if you just made instant judgements without really even considering who our players really were. Anyways, I'll discuss each point so that you can learn more about the players we had.

Interesting that you say that about Donadoni given that he was completely comfortable playing through the middle as well as out wide. Even if he played as a winger most often, under Sacchi, he would drift into the middle frequently and even get involved in the midfield play. His complete skill set allowed him to pretty much play everywhere on the attack. That's what made him a great player. Heck, when he came out of retirement to play for the MetroStars, he was playing in central midfield for them, not out wide or as an attacking midfielder.

As I stated in a recent post in this matchup, Rufer was never a proper centre forward. His partners (Bode/Riedle) were the proper centre forwards whilst he played as a second striker, drifting around freely, dragging defences around, and exploiting the gaps that he and his partner create. We used him similarly here with Sheva, drifting around and combining with his attacking teammates whilst making runs into the gaps and getting the goals as he did for Werder Bremen.

Regarding Bein, we explained in the writeup that we never really played a set formation. Emerson (Bayer Leverkusen version) and Cocu were both quite comfortable going forward as well as defending. I even posted a video showing how well Emerson went forward and split open defences with his passing and movement. Both Emerson and Cocu started out as attacking midfielders at the start of their career (Cocu being a winger before moving into midfield), and it was only when they moved to Bayer Leverkusen and Barcelona, respectively, that they were given more defensive responsibilities, but that didn't stop them from getting involved in the attack. Emerson only became a proper defensive midfielder when he moved to Roma, whilst at Bayer Leverkusen, he was a box-to-box midfielder. Cocu was used in defensive roles after van Gaal left the club, but that didn't stop him from getting involved in attacks either under other coaches.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Just wondering, but how would you rate them against their counterparts in the Bundesliga and Europe? I honestly thought that both were world class players given what I found about them.
I don't like the world class tag, because it means something different for so many people. Both were brilliant players and definitely worthy picks in this draft. Bein was one of the most technically gifted German footballers of all time, he was such a wonderful passer and really unlucky that he never won a league title. He's in good company with that though, Häßler, Völler and Littbarski also never won a league.

Rufer was an inspired pick and he was amazing in the early 90's for Bremen. I love that the key players from Rehagel's Cup Winner's Cup winning team were picked (Bratseth and Eilts the other two). It's a bit of an underrated team compared to the more modern Bremen sides, when they played more entertaining football under Schaaf. But the original story of Rehagel and his success at Bremen is the true gem and they had some epic performances in Europe as well, not just in the league.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Before I start, I want to ask if you even took the time to read our player profiles as well as our posts regarding the players we had in our team. It seems as if you just made instant judgements without really even considering who our players really were. Anyways, I'll discuss each point so that you can learn more about the players we had.

Interesting that you say that about Donadoni given that he was completely comfortable playing through the middle as well as out wide. Even if he played as a winger most often, under Sacchi, he would drift into the middle frequently and even get involved in the midfield play. His complete skill set allowed him to pretty much play everywhere on the attack. That's what made him a great player. Heck, when he came out of retirement to play for the MetroStars, he was playing in central midfield for them, not out wide or as an attacking midfielder.

As I stated in a recent post in this matchup, Rufer was never a proper centre forward. His partners (Bode/Riedle) were the proper centre forwards whilst he played as a second striker, drifting around freely, dragging defences around, and exploiting the gaps that he and his partner create. We used him similarly here with Sheva, drifting around and combining with his attacking teammates whilst making runs into the gaps and getting the goals as he did for Werder Bremen.

Regarding Bein, we explained in the writeup that we never really played a set formation. Emerson (Bayer Leverkusen version) and Cocu were both quite comfortable going forward as well as defending. I even posted a video showing how well Emerson went forward and split open defences with his passing and movement. Both Emerson and Cocu started out as attacking midfielders at the start of their career (Cocu being a winger before moving into midfield), and it was only when they moved to Bayer Leverkusen and Barcelona, respectively, that they were given more defensive responsibilities, but that didn't stop them from getting involved in the attack. Emerson only became a proper defensive midfielder when he moved to Roma, whilst at Bayer Leverkusen, he was a box-to-box midfielder. Cocu was used in defensive roles after van Gaal left the club, but that didn't stop him from getting involved in attacks either under other coaches.
Thank you for your answer.

You're right: I have not spent enough time to make a proper analysis.

For the next games, I will have the time to do so.