Lack of progress on player sales...

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
People are getting pretty impatient with lack of new signings and I totally get that. But what has got me more worried is the lack of progress on getting players out.

Sanchez is gone, true, but we was out on loan anyway and we got no fee. Supposedly had to pay him off a little bit too just to force him out. I suppose the savings on wages is worth that though.

Other than Sanchez we don't seem to be hearing much on this player exodus that many were expecting. This 20m for this player and 15m for that seems to be awfully quiet now. Smalling keeps getting mentioned but doesn't sound like Roma have much cash or are in any rush. They know he wants to join them most likely so again we will get screwed on the fee.

Romero to go for peanuts and Dalot on loan I have seen mentioned once or twice and that's about it. No offers for Lingard, Pereira, Mata, Jones etc.

This could be what's holding up offers on new players. We only have 25 spaces for players above age of 21 and non home grown. We must be close to that as it is.

RedDevil@84

We cannot throw players out, if we are not buying anyone. Lingard and Rojo to get extensions for sure.

Paul_Scholes18

We cannot throw players out, if we are not buying anyone. Lingard and Rojo to get extensions for sure.
We need Lingard. He is our main backup to Bruno at the moment. Unless we buy someone better then we need to keep him.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
wages are a huge problem - obviously
Yeah we pay most of our players way too much. We seem to be afraid to tell them 'No'.

And what is worse is most of them aren't even that amazing so if they left because they didn't get the wages they wanted we'd be okay anyway.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
People are getting pretty impatient with lack of new signings and I totally get that. But what has got me more worried is the lack of progress on getting players out.

Sanchez is gone, true, but we was out on loan anyway and we got no fee. Supposedly had to pay him off a little bit too just to force him out. I suppose the savings on wages is worth that though.

Other than Sanchez we don't seem to be hearing much on this player exodus that many were expecting. This 20m for this player and 15m for that seems to be awfully quiet now. Smalling keeps getting mentioned but doesn't sound like Roma have much cash or are in any rush. They know he wants to join them most likely so again we will get screwed on the fee.

Romero to go for peanuts and Dalot on loan I have seen mentioned once or twice and that's about it. No offers for Lingard, Pereira, Mata, Jones etc.

This could be what's holding up offers on new players. We only have 25 spaces for players above age of 21 and non home grown. We must be close to that as it is.
If you put yourself in the potential buying club's shoes there isn't much incentive to rush through a purchase. There's hardly a bidding war for any of them, wait until near deadline day for the best deal.

Alemar

We can, but the management needs to WORK ON SALES. They do absolutely nothing (wouldn’t be surprised to know they are actually on vacation now)

kopviolator

Yeah we pay most of our players way too much. We seem to be afraid to tell them 'No'.

And what is worse is most of them aren't even that amazing so if they left because they didn't get the wages they wanted we'd be okay anyway.
The broken record gets tiresome, I know, but I think it's pretty obvious that the club is being grossly mismanaged at boardroom level when it comes to football matters. But then again, Manchester United these days is a commercial machine more than a football club.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If you put yourself in the potential buying club's shoes there isn't much incentive to rush through a purchase. There's hardly a bidding war for any of them, wait until near deadline day for the best deal.
Giving Phil Jones a new 4 yr plus 1 option contract really went well for us.

Sanchez wasn't even the latest catastrophe from the club. That Jones contract is going to cost us how much over next 4 years??? Let's face it nobody will buy him.

romufc

Like who actually thinks Phil Jones injury prone is worth over 100k a week? There isnt anyone there going to offer him more than 40k anyway, so if he digs his heels in see you later.

Yet, we cannot give players like Herrera a 150k pay who is fit.

We give Perreira a new contract when he has done feck all for the club..

Even signing players, we never say no. I will give you an example.. Liverpool bid £15m? for Jamal Lewis, they said no, Liverpool went out and bought another player for £11m within 3 days.

We signed Dan James for double the price he was about to go to Leeds 6 months later.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The broken record gets tiresome, I know, but I think it's pretty obvious that the club is being grossly mismanaged at boardroom level when it comes to football matters. But then again, Manchester United these days is a commercial machine more than a football club.
They are a total shambles and always will be.

The lack of strategy we've had for 7 years, the ridiculous u-turns on managers with different ways of playing, the ridiculous contracts.....etc

TheLord

Most of our deadwood won't make the first eleven of top clubs. Why would any club be interested in buying them on insane wages?

Last edited:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Giving Phil Jones a new 4 yr plus 1 option contract really went well for us.

Sanchez wasn't even the latest catastrophe from the club. That Jones contract is going to cost us how much over next 4 years??? Let's face it nobody will buy him.
No chance. Even if a club were somehow convinced he wouldn't just be swapping treatment tables, when was his last PL level performance? Surely you wouldn't risk a penny on him with the current financial issues.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Those wages are a big problem. For example, as a Ligue 1 fan, Rojo could be very useful to many 2nd tier Ligue 1 teams (like Rennes, Lille or my own team Nantes) and they could probably afford his transfer fee, but he makes more in a week than the highest paid player on my team makes in a month. So there are only the top 3 or 4 teams that could afford him but he's not good enough for them. And I'm not even talking about Lingard who makes as much but wouldn't get anywhere near the first team in any top5 leagues team.

Gandalf

Smalling will go as there is actually competition for his services and 20m is not outrageous for a proven player of his level. I think the slow progress is because Roma is his preferred destination and they are biding their time hoping to get a reduction in fee but ultimately there are clubs out there willing to pay and so unless he digs in his heels they are going to have to up their offer or miss out.

The rest of our potential outgoings are much harder to figure out. Jones is a bit of a joke and yet he was an established England player at the 2018 WC and has buckets of experience along with still being under 30. Can't see a significant bid but Moyes was rumored to be interested so I think a loan with an option to buy might make sense as West Ham clearly need recruits and it is the best we are likely to get. Pereira will probably have a market but I doubt he goes for that much, he has some admirers in Spain and Portugal and I believe Brendan Rogers showed interest at some point. Lingard is a mystery. If we sold him in 2018 he would probably have gone for 50m plus off the back of a good couple of seasons and some great games for England but now I have no idea what he is worth. He has taken up with Raiola who may well be working hard behind the scenes to get him a move by persuading teams this last season was an aberration but I don't know that anyone will bite and it is anyones guess what kind of fee he would attract. I imagine something with a low initial fee up front with some achievable clauses so that we get paid if he is a success and the buying club is protected if he flops. Rojo is the simplest but I don't think our board will go for it, we should negotiate a payoff and terminate his contract.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

de gea, henderson, Grant, romero, periera
awb, tfm, shaw, rojo, Dalot
maguire, lindeloff, bailly, jones, tzanube, Smalling
Matic, Fred, Mctominy,
Pogba, Fernandes, Periera, Lingaard, Mata
James, Rashford, Martial
Thats 27 but hard to see 2 of the keepers not going
Rojo and smalling seem almost certain to not be here next season even if thats extended loans - could easily see one of james / mata leaving as well as one of dalot / TFM on loan... that would take us to 21 players over 21
So getting under the 25 shouldnt be too difficult - especially if we are after sancho as he wont count due to age

monosierra

We can, but the management needs to WORK ON SALES. They do absolutely nothing (wouldn’t be surprised to know they are actually on vacation now)
I mean who knows what's going on behind the scenes. For all we know, no one wants what we have to offer at whatever conditions we are offering them all - wage distribution being one.

El Jefe

Agreed, yet some on here will tell you Woodward and Judge are not terrible negotiators. How Mata and Matic got a 3 year contract extension is beyond me. You look at Chelsea they stuck to their guns with Willian on the 2 year deal and eventually let him go and he's a far better player than Mata is right now.

Paul_Scholes18

Now you've depressed me. Thanks Paul!
Hopefully we will get the backup 10 we need and a right winger. If we just gets that then I am happy.
Then Lingard or Pereira can go if anyone wants them. I rather keep Lingard, but if we get good money for him then we should sell.
No transfers and we can't really do much. Just hope Mata turn back the years and Lingard finds form again.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Hopefully we will get the backup 10 we need and a right winger. If we just gets that then I am happy.
Then Lingard or Pereira can go if anyone wants them. I rather keep Lingard, but if we get good money for him then we should sell.
No transfers and we can't really do much. Just hope Mata turn back the years and Lingard finds form again.
Lingard would be the second player out the door for me, absolute waste of space in the final third of the pitch.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yes, this needed a new thread.

AsonUnique

I am all for offloading but if we don't have any incoming what's the point? We have a lot of games and need depth. A small fee is not worth shortening our bench even more. It sucks but we are stuck at the moment.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Him and Mata are our main backups for Bruno though. It is the sad state of things.
We played Pereira more than Lingard in the easier games though early in the season.
not sure they are
bruno, pogba and one of mctominy, fred or matic will presumably be our main midfield
If bruno is out then its probably pogba plus two of mctominy, fred and matic

flappyjay

Even the ones playing well are overpaid. Martial and Rashford should not be on 200k. The likes of lingard would have ended up at Everton or westham had we let him walk but instead we gave him a big contract.

Paul_Scholes18

not sure they are
bruno, pogba and one of mctominy, fred or matic will presumably be our main midfield
If bruno is out then its probably pogba plus two of mctominy, fred and matic
We could try Pogba as a 10, but we have not done it yet. Not sure Ole fancy doing it either.
In big games it would be way better though I think.