g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

LASK v United - will be played behind closed doors

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I'm hearing from sources that this game might take place behind closed doors (mate of mine knows a guy close to Howard Nurse).

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Pretty bad for them - one of the biggest games in their history and none of their fans will be able to go.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I'm glad to see this (given the relative context of the situation). I think it's the right thing to do.

Great to see other Governments actually acting now and doing something to help protect Healthcare systems and their own citizens.

Hopefully the UK Government will soon be forced to follow suit and actually make some moves to protect it's own already struggling Healthcare system.

Pretty bad for them - one of the biggest games in their history and none of their fans will be able to go.
True but people's lives are more important.

Far more important.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Advantage United. We already have experience at playing in empty stadiums (Etihad).

Mike Smalling

Sad state of affairs, but it can only be an advantage for us. I fear it may be slightly boring to watch, as well.

Devil may care

At this rate the world is going to shut down, I know it's serious but the media are ramping up the panic factor non stop with their coverage.

Sad state of affairs, but it can only be an advantage for us. I fear it may be slightly boring to watch, as well.
It can't be worse than many of our games under Mourinho.

Ludens the Red

The playing behind closed doors is tainting the competition for me. Home team loses a big advantage & it’s just not right fairness wise.

Why is football being targeted to close down and not airports or the tube which has more people in close contact? I don’t understand the logic
Said this in the other thread. It’s a small fish in a gigantic pond in terms of containing the virus.
If you are that concerned then there must be a significant attempt to close down banks, shops, work offices, schools, colleges, university, McDonalds (I keep seeing absolutely jam packed Mcd’s) etc. It is not mandatory for these places to open in a situation where you believe there is a significant health risk to the general population. That way you reduce the amount of people using public transport which is in the millions daily. Transport to generally only be used by those working for the emergency services.

I don’t see any of these things happening.
Basically whats happening is they’re saying “oh you 50,000 people will not gather at ‘insert football stadium’ in case you spread this virus but you’re free to cram onto buses and trains and into McDonald’s with hundreds upon thousands of people. As if the corona virus is self aware and picks and chooses the venues where it is contagious.

Like @Classical Mechanic said, it’s as if they just want to be seen to be doing something.

arnie_ni

Why am I seeing this question everywhere? Is this the first time people are experiencing any professional match being played behind closed doors?
Due to a virus, yes. Id imagine to televise a game it would take a couple of hundred people to make it work. If gatherings of above 100 are banned, are they allowed to gather to televise a football match

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Due to a virus, yes. Id imagine to televise a game it would take a couple of hundred people to make it work. If gatherings of above 100 are banned, are they allowed to gather to televise a football match
Some of the Italian "closed doors" matches limited the size of the press contingent last week. A couple reduced the size of the broadcast team as well - single camera position, not the usual multi-angle setup - which would feel a bit like watching youth team football on TV. I doubt they'll do it for this game though.

arnie_ni

Some of the Italian matches limited the size of the press contingent last week. A couple reduced the size of the broadcast team as well - single camera position, not the usual multi-angle setup - which would feel a bit like watching youth team football on TV. I doubt they'll do it for this game though.
Thats the solution then, i wasnt sure how it would work but i knew they'd have to do something

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I'm glad to see this (given the relative context of the situation). I think it's the right thing to do.

Great to see other Governments actually acting now and doing something to help protect Healthcare systems and their own citizens.

Hopefully the UK Government will soon be forced to follow suit and actually make some moves to protect it's own already struggling Healthcare system.
I think the UK has managed it pretty well so far, but difficult to tell when research is suggesting many might not show symptoms for five days after contracting. The UK can't do an Italy too soon and quarantine the whole country, when it is simply not necessary yet. People, and the economy, can't cope with self isolation over a lengthy period, and if you do it too soon, you also undermine the deployment of the measure. People won't take it seriously, when it is actually needed. The best we can hope for now is just managing the curve and trying to avoid that mammoth spike in cases, when hospitals can't cope and the mortality rate surges from 1-3% to 6%+ as it has in Lombardy.

As soon as there is a massive outbreak in the UK, you'll see quarantine of regions or the country. Until then, it would be a panic move to do so.

Rhyme Animal

I think the UK has managed it pretty well so far, but difficult to tell when research is suggesting many might not show symptoms for five days after contracting. The UK can't do an Italy too soon and quarantine the whole country, when it is simply not necessary yet. People, and the economy, can't cope with self isolation over a lengthy period, and if you do it too soon, you also undermine the deployment of the measure. People won't take it seriously, when it is actually needed. The best we can hope for now is just managing the curve and trying to avoid that mammoth spike in cases, when hospitals can't cope and the mortality rate surges from 1-3% to 6%+ as it has in Lombardy.
Maybe not yet. But I'm talking about football matches here, and incoming fans from other countries - like Liverpool vs Atletico tomorrow, that's what I'm talking about when I say act now.

The UK has been lax thus far in this regard.

arnie_ni

Maybe not yet. But I'm talking about football matches here, and incoming fans from other countries - like Liverpool vs Atletico tomorrow, that's what I'm talking about when I say act now.

Considering the amount of cases in madrid youd think the uk would ban flights in and out of there

Alabaster Codify7

Will be so strange watching a game in total silence on TV. It's right move though, if the Austrian government feel that way.

Gator Nate

That doesn’t make sense. Importance shouldn’t matter, either we need to avoid large public gatherings or not
Feels like a token gesture to reassure the public that they're doing something really.
Once you accept the truth that the sole goal of any government official, be they elected or appointed, is to remain a government official, then it all becomes very clear. Effectiveness of a policy comes in a distant second to the appearance of a policy.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Has anyone mentioned that it'll be like playing in the Etihad yet?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
But apparently the science doesn’t even support this measure

Dr Harries said cancelling big outdoor events like football matches would not necessarily be a decision supported by science.
"The virus will not survive very long outside," she said. "Many outdoor events, particularly, are relatively safe."
This is a truth that absoluely requires some nuances. Firstly, she doesnt say that science doesn't support it. But that it necessarily doesn't support it. What she means is that they don't have the proper data to support the claim.

My SO happens to have a phd in Molecular Microbiology and has done research on pneumococcal pneumonia, so this is actually a frequent topic at home these days.

Being in close proximity to a person who is still contageous is what will get you infected. Either through pyhsical contact or airborne droplets from cough, breath etc. The virus does require a set of conditions to surive outside this is true. A combination of temperature, humidity and lack of UV exposure. Colder climates are not a good survival climate for this type of bacteria, but it can easily jump from person to person if you were to say, sneeze at someone.

The scientific community doesn't know for sure yet if things like warm climate will hamper the spread of the virus like the common cold. They assume but don't know. Italy has a moderately warm climate and it's spreading like wildfire there. In italy, over 500 people have died out of around 10,000 infected.

Covid-19 is currently more deadly than the flu. Most will think "so what, people die from flu every year". Yes, true. but the people currently dying off would for the majority be well and fine without the current infection thats spreading. It's a more aggressive and more easily transmitted virus, that IS cause for great concern. Not for me and you most likely, 85% of infected even only see mildy symptoms, but for the rest it can be a real showboat.

Oh yes, and always wash your hands. The virus is transmitted through hijacking the bacterial cell, or biomass on your hands when you cough on your hands or touch someones hands who happen to have the virus on it. An antibacterial soap washes away most of the bacterial biomass, and the virus with it from your hands.

So while I think this absolutely sucks, having this outbreak affect public events. There is good reason to limit contact with people. But at this rate, it does seem like it's too late to stop it from spreading exponentially.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Not really sure how that would help widely. Seems sensible to quarantine people from certain hotpsots, but people quickly make irrational decisions about national borders, as if we somehow have to be more fearful of international travellers carrying the virus, versus British people travelling domestically with the good old red, white and blue version of the virus.

I'm not generally in favour of giving the Home Office and UK Border Agency more reason to be prejudiced against people. Sealing off the country isn't going to help. The genie is out of the bottle.

Rhyme Animal

Not really sure how that would help widely. Seems sensible to quarantine people from certain hotpsots, but people quickly make irrational decisions about national borders, as if we somehow have to be more fearful of international travellers carrying the virus, versus British people travelling domestically with the good old red, white and blue version of the virus.

I'm not generally in favour of giving the Home Office and UK Border Agency more reason to be prejudiced against people. Sealing off the country isn't going to help. The genie is out of the bottle.
It is though... it's going to help a lot right now.

And I'm firmly anti-Brexit.

Having thousands of people from Italy or Spain crammed into a busy stadium and using the public transport systems en masse in a busy city is insane when it can be easily prevented.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It is though... it's going to help a lot right now.

And I'm firmly anti-Brexit.

Having thousands of people from Italy or Spain crammed into a busy stadium and using the public transport systems en masse in a busy city is insane when it can be easily prevented.
Without even a single other person entering the country with the virus, the virus is here and spreading. It won't be contained any longer. We could close the borders, insist everyone stays at home for two weeks, and that still wouldn't stop it. It's all about flattening the curve now, ensuring the number of cases doesn't peak too highly at any one point, but also accepting there could possibly be an even greater number of them long term, as long we don't get that spike and that we have capacity to help those most vulnerable.

On the topic of border, you're sounding completely irrational like Trump now. What do you want to do? Strand British citizens abroad where the costs and burden of assisting them are orders of magnitude higher? Do you want to strand tourists and business visitors here and take on the burden of catering for them, when you could just allow them to return home and be catered for more effectively? What do you do about dual nationals and those with residency in multiple countries? What about carers or those do critical jobs in a different country to their passport? National countries acting in self interest will only make this worse. This is a truly international problem.

There's this irrational trigger to seal national borders when anyone suggesting locking down regional borders at that point in time would be looked at as insane.