Last 25 minutes today

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Awful

What the feck happened there? It's like we suddenly stopped being any kind of team, and just took turns in attempting to take on the entire Everton team single handedly.

Having only one midfielder on the pitch didn't really help

In fact, we only really got it going for about ten minutes at the start of the second half. The rest of the time we looked laboured

Very lucky to get a win out of that imo. I was more worried about someone losing the ball costing us the game

Bape

I agree, lucky with the win, we didnt really deserve the win the way we played, still not complaining.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
We didn't really seem to create any clear cut chances either. Let's just hope it was an off day and be grateful we got away with it.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Awful

What the feck happened there? It's like we suddenly stopped being any kind of team, and just took turns in attempting to take on the entire Everton team single handedly

Very lucky to get a win out of that imo. I was more worried about someone losing the ball costing us the game
Yes, taking Carrick off and bringing Saha on was not a good move. The message to the players is forget about passing and just boot it long to the 3 strikers, something that does not suit us at all.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
Yes, taking Carrick off and bringing Saha on was not a good move. The message to the players is forget about passing and just boot it long to the 3 strikers, something that does not suit us at all.
There we have the problem.

We got desperate and looked clueless after that switch

acnumber9

We needed someone who could run with the ball through the middle. There was a lot of space in central areas and it was a great move by Fergie to switch Giggs to a more central role.
You're right that putting Giggs in the centre was a good move but surely the chanmge should've been Anderson who had gone missing in the game. I certainly didn't understand taking off Carrick and then throwing Fletcher on. Still, we won the game so the manager can claim justification for his changes.

kikks

Awful

What the feck happened there? It's like we suddenly stopped being any kind of team, and just took turns in attempting to take on the entire Everton team single handedly

Our players seemed to think it was easier trying to play the ball through the Evertonplayers. Really awful passing the last 25 minutes.

mjdj

Reminded me a bit of the Blackburn game at the end of last season. A lot of huffing about but not much going on. In that game Scholesy said feck you danced around a few blokes and scored.

Today Giggsy did the same thing. That whole 2nd half I wanted the ball to his feet as he works at a level above everyone else on the pitch when he isnt being a grumpy old cnut.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
We "lost" control of the game when Saha came on. We stopped passing the ball and instead the Vidic/Brown hoof show started. Horrible to watch.

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
I certainly didn't understand taking off Carrick
Taking Carrick off was the right decision. Anderson is capable of producing a moment of magic and could have won us a penalty or freekick. When we need some player to turn around a game in an instant, Carrick will not be high on the list. Also Anderson has pace to burn and can track back well if we over commit forward.

Alex

Who gives a shit I'd rather a thread like this, than one about how United played great but tied, United weren't great but they did have without out a doubt the best player,anyone gonna whine about the dives today, Ronaldo created and scored a great goal in teh 1 st half and then, well then, well he reaffirmred his pure quality of #7

acnumber9

Taking Carrick off was the right decision. Anderson is capable of producing a moment of magic and could have won us a penalty or freekick. When we need some player to turn around a game in an instant, Carrick will not be high on the list. Also Anderson has pace to burn and can track back well if we over commit forward.
Anderson had went missing in the game and essentially we were carrying a player in the middle of the park. I do think he's a smashing young player with plenty of potential but moments of magic that win games have been few and far between from him so far. In fact I would say I can only think of the through ball he played for Tevez against Wigan as an example of him even creating a goal.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Reminded me a bit of the Blackburn game at the end of last season. A lot of huffing about but not much going on. In that game Scholesy said feck you danced around a few blokes and scored.

Today Giggsy did the same thing. That whole 2nd half I wanted the ball to his feet as he works at a level above everyone else on the pitch when he isnt being a grumpy old cnut.
:confused:

We were superb against Blackburn last year, even before Scholes scored. Today was more like how we usually play against Middlesbrough

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why are people saying Fergie did the wrong subs and he should have done this that and and an other when it was the way he changed the players and personel that won us the game? Some peolpe will never be happy! Well done Fergie your changes won us the game!

mjdj

:confused:

We were superb against Blackburn last year, even before Scholes scored. Today was more like how we usually play against Middlesbrough
I agree but I'm not talking so much about the quality of the play just how we needed somebody to put their foot on the ball and stop the rushing.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I agree but I'm not talking so much about the quality of the play just how we needed somebody to put their foot on the ball and stop the rushing.
Yes, but that never really happened. Giggs wasn't going anywhere, it was just an unbelievably stupid challenge on him

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
What we must all remember is that we were playing a fecking good Everton team. One that before today had gone on a 12 game unbeaten run.

Ok so they don't have the prestige' of a Chelsea or Liverpool but in football terms there not a million miles away from them.

Lets be happy with the win and thankful that even though we played badly we still got the three points

Ferguson

Taking Carrick off for Saha was a mistake.

The practical result was exchanging Carrick, a proper CM, for Giggs in the central midfield. Playing Giggs there meant we lost some width as well.

What use is Saha if we aren't passing the ball from the midfield?

Take Giggs off for Saha if you aren't going to use Giggs as a winger.

The only rationale I could think of was Fergie simply wanting an experienced player like Giggs in the side at the end of the game. Also Giggs has a goalscoring ability that Carrick doesn't.

I still wouldn't have taken Carrick off, but the fact is that Giggs' ability on the ball and cool head took him into the box where Pienaar could make a mistake. In the end Fergie's instinct to keep Giggs on produced the winner against all evidence in United's play. Unbelievable.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I enjoyed the first half today - a real match, though as usual with the buts - but Rio is needed to run the back 4, but the passing wasn't as good as it could have been.

Second half a bit of desperation was creeping in - Ron and Giggs were the coolest players on the pitch so the outcome was fitting.

Anybody else feel their nerves twitching as Ron ran up to take the pen? What football's designed for!

Cornell

We were amazing in that game though. Deserved win.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Very nervous last minutes of the match... but experience of Giggs is priceless to Manchester United and he won a penalty.

Kuszczak, Anderson and O'Shea were a little bit nervous but in the end, United have 3 points.

Well Done, lads.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
What we must all remember is that we were playing a fecking good Everton team. One that before today had gone on a 12 game unbeaten run.

Ok so they don't have the prestige' of a Chelsea or Liverpool but in football terms there not a million miles away from them.

Lets be happy with the win and thankful that even though we played badly we still got the three points
...and they did not have Arteta and Osman...two regulars...

believe me Arse wont have it easy against them....

Broo

Get a brew on
It started to piss me off when we kept trying to cross it when their defence was clearly able to deal with high balls better than our forwards. I think our players (or SAF) should have realised that after a while and tried a different approach. Both our goals came from passing moves around the penalty area.

sonymobby

I will make a stupid question, what causes such poor performances? Is it match fitness, is it certain unfit players, is it because the opposition actually cancels our game, is it just an one-off (we would have 4-5 of these per season:p) or is it some psychological reason (the opponent or other circumstances like the party)?

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Tevez and Rooney were playing a bit cack and instead of just taking one of them off and bringing on Saha we went a bit mental and played that god awful formation with forwards as wingers.
Yep.

We were lucky to win it, mainly because Everton are a very good side and played well, also because Carrick, Rooney and Tevez weren't on their game.

Giggs was great until he stuck him in the middle, he should've stuck Fletch on if he was that keen to get Carrick off. noods is right about everyone trying to dribble through the whole team in the last ten.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
I will make a stupid question, what causes such poor performances? Is it match fitness, is it certain unfit players, is it because the opposition actually cancels our game, is it just an one-off (we would have 4-5 of these per season:p) or is it some psychological reason (the opponent or other circumstances like the party)?
If they knew that, being a manager would be easy...

I'd say today, we came up against a strong side on a great run, missing Rio which always makes us nervy, and with a very flat atmosphere. Then a few players had poor games, which makes the whole team lose confidence, and players like Anderson and Evra played slightly less well than usual too. Also maybe the Christmas party disaster affected morale. All those factors and more...and also, sometimes it just happens for no real reason. I played today and we're normally decent, but none of us could play a five yard pass today... no idea why it started, but once you've spooned it five times you lose confidence and play worse and worse for the rest of the game.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
In terms of subs, i thought we would have benefited more from bringing Louis on for Tevez and Nani for Giggs. In thar order, simultaneously, whatever suited.

As it was, we managed to get the win anyway, though we were fortunate, and it was in no small part thanks to Pienaar. Can't rely on that sort of thing but hey.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Awful

What the feck happened there? It's like we suddenly stopped being any kind of team, and just took turns in attempting to take on the entire Everton team single handedly.

In fact, we only really got it going for about ten minutes at the start of the second half. The rest of the time we looked laboured

Agreed!

Taking Carrick off.....our one creative player didn't really make sense....we then started knocking high balls into the box for the forwards...well Rooney and Tevez aren'r renowned for their heading ability!!!!

We stopped passing the ball about even though we had most of the possession in the second half....

Rooney was very poor today....sure he had a couple of decent efforts on goal but didn't really create anything for others.....Carrick should have stayed on and Rooney taken off for Saha......

A lucky win really!!

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
We "lost" control of the game when Saha came on. We stopped passing the ball and instead the Vidic/Brown hoof show started. Horrible to watch.
We lost control long before Saha came on, neither Anderson or Carrick was effective in midfield in the 2nd half up to that point.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Everton are in form and they were up for it. Our defence loses its shape without Rio (Neville has traditionally been our other defensive organiser). Anderson and Carrick didn't look comfortable - maybe because the defence weren't.

Roo seems to be still recovering his rhythm and without Roo to bounce off, Tevez isn't as good - though his link-up with Ron is starting to improve (which could be great news for our season)

Fortunately, Giggs and Ronaldo gave us the edge.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Agreed!

Taking Carrick off.....our one creative player didn't really make sense....we then started knocking high balls into the box for the forwards...well Rooney and Tevez aren'r renowned for their heading ability!!!!

We stopped passing the ball about even though we had most of the possession in the second half....

Rooney was very poor today....sure he had a couple of decent efforts on goal but didn't really create anything for others.....Carrick should have stayed on and Rooney taken off for Saha......

A lucky win really!!

Agree about Rooney, really he should have been subbed, the side would have kept more shape.