Le Parisien: UEFA considering creating FFP 2.0, which limits net transfer spending to €100m/season

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
@Carolina Red + @stevoc Sorry for the long delay in responding to your posts, it is just that I have been rather busy of late (what with the World Cup and all). Anyway here are the responses in question...

That’s the thing. On paper they’re completely separate entities, not inferior ones.
On paper they are indeed seperate football clubs to Man City, even if operations wise it is a different story. However to be fair to the B Team's in La Liga, many did orginate from seperate standalone clubs in their own right before being taken over by their eventual parent clubs.

CFG are being dishonest if they’re operating the clubs as international B teams.
Like many things about the CFG and its owners, they are indeed being dishonest about this matter. It does not however mean it is a bad idea overall though (in terms of the concept of having "International" B Teams), far from it in fact.

It doesn’t matter that they do. They’re not legally separate entities being used as reserve teams.
It does when those same fans critcise other clubs like City from having B Teams of their own in La Liga, regardless of their actual legal status. Especially when many of those La Liga clubs B Teams began as legally seperate entities in their own right.

Time.

Messi and Ronaldo are both over 30 now, It's highly unlikely they will be replaced with players of equal quality. Aside from that most both Real and Barca's better players are aging as well.

Thats how cycles go, it will take both of them time to rebuild sides capable of winning multiple Champions leagues.
While there might not be players out there who are "equally" as good as Ronaldo and Messi, there are plenty of players who are more than good enough to enable them to maintain their dominance over the Champions League, players whom they are able to afford with the commercial success that both the Messi generation at Barcelona (as well as players like Ronaldinho beforehand) and the Ronaldo generation at Real Madrid (as well as the previous generation of Galacticos) have helped generate for their clubs (with the help of government support of course).

For example while Real Madrid have got rid of Ronaldo, they can still afford to replace him with either Neymar or Hazard (heck they would likely afford both), which (so long as the formations/tactics are modified to take account of their inclusion) would enable them to maintain the same level of quality and thus continue their dominance of in the CL. Likewise Barcelona have basically managed to sign Iniesta's replacement in the form of Coutinho (which is not a bad like-for-like replacement), hence why I want Man City to sign him up) and are able to afford someone like Salah to replace Messi when the time comes.

So it is is very foolish of other clubs to assume that the decline of the El Classico sides (and without a doubt they are declining) will enable them to start winning CL's once more considering the ability of both clubs to maintain their dominance in the long-term, hence why both "declining" clubs continue to dominate the CL to this day (despite Barcelona bottling it against Roma in the QF 2nd Leg Last Season, which had they not done so would have enabled them to reach the final). Thus the only way anyone can break their monopoly is if they invest massively on transfers (and in turn rob many other major clubs of their best players) to build a squad that can outcompete with them in the Champions League.

That in turn either requires scrapping FFP altogether or at the very least reform FFP to allow for clubs to obtain a unrestricted amount of inflated self-sponsorship from the owners of said club. Which would allow owners to invest into clubs without the possibility of lumbering said clubs with debt that they cannot afford (which should be the main focus of FFP in my view).

How exactly does FFP stop teams from challenging?
It stops team's like Man City (1) from building up squads which are able to win the CL while also being able to dominate their domestic competitions. Especially in an age of when the likes of Pogba cost £100 million and the likes of Neymar cost £200 million.

With Man City and PSGs inflated sponsorships which are allowed within FFP it seems.
The thing is though, UEFA have shown that there is an "unspoken" limit to how far you can "inflate" sponsorship (despite being no formal criteria as such) within the limits of FFP as their recent actions have shown. Now if UEFA stopped doing this and permitted it under FFP (which would not be a bad thing since it does not encourage owners from lumbering clubs with debt) then I would no longer be against FFP.

Because footballing biases aside, I feel that FFP should be used to stop clubs being lumbered with debt (either to achieve success for other reasons) rather than it being used as a tool to perserve cartels and monopolies in the world of European Club Football. Because for me the issue of the former is far more important (especially for us football fans, no matter what club we support) than disputing about who had a god given right to success/trophies or not.

They are already competing, in fact i'm fairly certain both PSG and City have probably spent more than Real and Barca respectively over the last few years.
That is because both PSG and Man City started off from a much lower base than Real Madrid (2) or even Barcelona, the latter of wholm beneftted from a golden generation of players from La Masia which is unlikely to be repeated every again by any other another club academy.

So how much do you think City and PSG need to be able to spend exactly?
Now as I have stated previously, I feel that for City (and also PSG) to be in any position to win a Quadruple (and dominate their domestic league at the same time) (3) and do so on a regular basis, they need to have a squad which contains enough players (and the quality) to form 2 World Class XIs. Likewise to be in a strong position to achieve those goals on a regular basis I would go as far as suggest they need a squad which contains enough players (and the quality) to form 3 World Class XIs.

So to answer your question about "How much I feel City need to spend", well lets firstly take a look at their best possible First and Second XIs:

First XI

Ederson
Walker - Kompany - Laporte - Mendy
KDB - Fernandinho - D.Silva
Sterling - Aguero - Sane

Second XI

Bravo
Danilo - Stones - Otamendi - Delph
Gündoğan - Toure - Foden
B.Silva - Jesus - Zinchenko​

As you can see when you can look at the First XI, you can see why Man City ended up winning the League by 100 points (and breaking other records in the Premier League) when you look at the quality of that starting XI (even if Mendy hardly played while Kompany missed large parts of the previous few seasons).

However when you look at the Second XI, the amount of quality in that side is considerbally less to say the least, so much so that I ended up having to put Zinchenko (despite being a CM/CAM...even if he has been played as a LB last season) as LW for lack of any other options (hence why we should have got Sanchez last season instead of royally f**king that one up). Which (4) explains a lot why we crashed out of the Champions League in the QF, got kicked out of the FA Cup by Wigan, struggled to maintain the same level of performance in the Premier League during the second half of last season and of course lost 3 times to Liverpool (despite having a utter shock of defence as well as having Henderson as their capitain). Simply because we lacked strength in depth.

So to enable us to have enough players (and quality) to allow us to have 2 World Class XI's within our squad, we need to purchase another GK, another LB, 2 CBs, another RB, another DM, another CM, another LW, another RW and another Striker. In other words 10 new players or more specifically these players:

GK: Allison (Transfermarkt Value: £54 Million) (5)

LB: David Alaba (Transfermarkt Value: £45 Million)

CB: Jan Vertonghen (Transfermarkt Value: £29 Million)

CB: Toby Alderweireld (Transfermarkt Value: £36 Million)

RB: Joshua Kimmich (Transfermarkt Value: £50 Million)

DM: Casemiro (Transfermarkt Value: £54 Million)

CM: Isco (Transfermarkt Value: £68 Million)

LW: Eden Hazard (Transfermarkt Value: £100 Million)

RW: Riyad Mahrez (Transfermarkt Value: £45 Million) (The only one on this list who has actually been signed up)

ST: Harry Kane (Transfermarkt Value: £135 Million)

Now to get all 10 of these players would cost a grand total of (according to the Transfermarkt) of £616 Million, although in reality the cost would be closer to £800-900 million for all 10 of these players (if not more) while the wages required to obtain these players would likely push the overall cost of these 10 players past £1 billion.

It would however mean that Man City would finally a squad which could provide them with 2 World Class XI's, as these post-transfer First and Second XI's show:

First XI

Ederson
Kimmich - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Alaba
KDB - Casemiro - D.Silva
Sterling - Kane - Hazard

Second XI

Allison
Isco - Fernandinho - B.Silva
Mahrez - Aguero - Sane

Additional Players: Stones (CB); Danilo (RB/LB); Gündoğan (CM); Jesus (ST)​

Likewise for Man City to obtain enough players (and quality) to have 3 World Class XI's, they would also need obtain the following 10 players as well:

GK: Hugo Lloris (Transfermarkt Value: £23 Million)

LB: Alex Sandro (Transfermarkt Value: £41 Million)

CB: Kalidou Koulibaly (Transfermarkt Value: £54 Million)

CB: Raphaël Varane (Transfermarkt Value: £63 Million)

RB: Kieran Trippier (Transfermarkt Value: £18 Million)

DM: N'Golo Kanté (Transfermarkt Value: £54 Million)

CM: James Rodríguez (Transfermarkt Value: £63 Million)

CM: Thiago (Transfermarkt Value: £54 Million)

LW: Lorenzo Insigne (Transfermarkt Value: £54 Million)

RW: Mo Salah (Transfermarkt Value: £135 Million)

Now to get all 10 of these additional players would cost a grand total of (according to the Transfermarkt) of £559 Million, although again one has to bear in mind that in reality the cost would be closer to £800-900 million for all 10 of these players (if not more) while the wages required to obtain these players would likely push the overall cost of these 10 players past £1 billion.

However if City did decide to spend a grand total of £2 Billion on those 20 players, it would actually give them more than enough players (and quality) to provide the club with 3 World Class XI's:

First XI

Ederson
KDB - Kanté - D.Silva
Salah - Kane - Hazard

Second XI

Allison
Walker - Varane - Koulibaly - Sandro
Thiago - Casemiro - Rodríguez
Sterling - Aguero - Sane

Third XI

Lloris
Trippier - Kompany - Laporte - Mendy
Mahrez - Jesus - Insigne

Additional Players: Stones (CB); Danilo (RB/LB); Gündoğan (CM);​

So long story short, the amount of addtional investment Man City need to invest into their squad is at the very least £1 billion and as a maximum £2 billion. A figure which is course stupidly high, but when you want to build a that wants to completely dominate both Domestic and European football and do so in an age of £100 million Pogba's and £200 million Neymars, the overall cost is going to reach such levels.

Note

(1) Who don't have the benefit of competiting in a domestic league which only 2 sides have a realisic chance of winning. A benefit which makes it eaiser for a team to win both their Domestic League and the Champions League.

(2) Let us not forget that ever since George Weah left for AC Milan (who was practised in the art of financial doping long before PSG or City where), PSG where basically a mid-table side who qualified for the Champions League 3 times in 15 years (and all the while get knocked out in the Group Stage every time) and whose best league performances during the 1997-2011 period were finishing 2nd on 2 occasions. All this in a domestic league which was at best the 5th best one in Europe.

Man City meanwhile where also a mid-table side (who had brief spells in the 2nd and even 3rd tiers of football) in the last 10-15 years before the ADUG takeover and one which qualified for European competition only once (the Europa League in 2003-2004) before the takeover.

Real Madrid in contrast since 1997 has never finished lower than 5th in their domestic league (which is among the strongest of domestic leagues in Europe), won said league 4 times, finished 2nd 3 times, reached the Copa Del Rey finals twice and won the Champions League 3 times in the years before ADUG's takeover of City. All this in a period that was considered disappointing (for a club like Real) by many.

(3) In other words win the domestic league by at least 95-100 points as part of a Quadruple.

(4) When you combine the fact that it is pretty much impossible to win a Quadruple by playing the same First XI across 60+ games, games which they need to play to win all 4 trophies.

(5) Yes I know he has foolishly signed up for Liverpool, but there is nothing stopping City (who should have hijacked the move in the first place) from signing him up in January from Merseyside, which hopefully would be helped by Allison finding out the painful reality of having Lovern right in front of you.

Dante

Average bang
I don't know what prize that should win in the 2018 Redcafe Awards, but I had to narrow it down, I'd say all of them.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
@1Manchester

I don't know if its been mentioned, but there is no need for footnotes on a forum.

Member 90887

What about a squad that has, 5 world class 11 ? this way, city can even win the euro and the world cup.

Edit: come to think about it, with 6 world class 11, they can win la liga as well as the bundesliga.

Edit 2: a question is bothering me, i don't think 6 world class 11 is possible, i don't think there's enough players in the world to do that.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
If this went through, Madrid can forget about buying Neymar or Mbappé.

Haddock

It bears repeating again and again that Financial Fair play was brought in to avoid a situation like Leeds United 2003/2004 from happening again. It was not meant to be Football's version of anti trust law (anti monopoly law).

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
And your point is (other than taking the p**s)? Just asking that is all...

What did I just read?!
Mainly about the reasons why:
  • FFP needs to be scrapped/relaxed to break the El Classico monopoly on the Champions League.
  • Why Man City and PSG have had to spend more money (for better or worse) than Real Madrid and Barcelona
  • What Man City need to a certain amount on transfers to break said monopoly.
@1Manchester

I don't know if its been mentioned, but there is no need for footnotes on a forum.
Look, I have cutback on the number of footnotes I have put into my posts compared to what I have done previously. It is just that on this occasion I had little choice to put than number of footnotes in that post to prevent completely cluttering said post.

If this went through, Madrid can forget about buying Neymar or Mbappé.
And the day Real Madrid (or for that matter Barcelona) are financially beaten by other clubs for any world class player is the day all football fans (apart from the Real Madrid and Barcelona) can celebrate the day the CL became competitive again, well as when club football became more competitive overall...

It's like the DNA of @fontaine, @Boss and @Successful were put together to produce a Man City fan.
Any particular reasons why?

C'est Moi Cantona

Why would anyone want a club who is backed by the people they are backed by to break the monopoly on anything? it's about stopping them, not encouraging them, what they are doing isn't talented, it's the worst of modern football.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Look, I have cutback on the number of footnotes I have put into my posts compared to what I have done previously. It is just that on this occasion I had little choice to put than number of footnotes in that post to prevent completely cluttering said post.
?
To anyone reading on mobile, any footnotes make the post far more cluttered and unreadable than just writing the post without the foot notes. An audience reading a xenForo forum on mobile does not want to continually scroll up and down through a post for footnotes.

Carolina Red

Staff
Still not a single youth product in any of those XI’s.

They must all be playing in those fake “B teams” City “has”.

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
It bears repeating again and again that Financial Fair play was brought in to avoid a situation like Leeds United 2003/2004 from happening again. It was not meant to be Football's version of anti trust law (anti monopoly law).
If it was really designed to prevent footballing financial meltdowns such as Leeds, Parma and Portsmouth, the FFP would have simply imposed a cap on any ones club overall debt (subject to variation in relation to a clubs overall revenue) and nothing else. Which would have had the side benefit of forcing the Glazers to pay off the debt they have lumbered Man United or sell the club to those who will.

Instead by imposing a cap on net losses (and unoffically on owners doing self-sponsorship deals with their clubs they own) and thus stopping ambitious owners from making the investments needed to challenge the established, it is in reality nothing more than a cynical anti-competitive policy that basically designed to maintain the status of the established clubs from any prospective challenges. That is how I see it anyway...

Why would anyone want a club who is backed by the people they are backed by to break the monopoly on anything?
I would be happy to agree with all the crimes and sins the owners of my club have comitted, however if we are going to go down this road. One must also ask why would anyone would want a club with the tainted history of Real Madrid to form part of a dulopoly that monopolies the CL? Or for that matter why would anyone who supports Russian/Ukrainian (and others) football clubs from participating in either the CL/EL as while they refuse to deal with their racism issues? Or even why would anyone who supports the survival of a club like Beitar Jerusalem?

The fact is overall the vast majority of football clubs and for that matter football authorities are run by deeply flawed individuals, so there is no point debating the morals of backing any football club breaking said dulopoly.

it's about stopping them, not encouraging them
All the while allowing equally "tainted" clubs to dominate European Football at the expence of everyone else.

what they are doing isn't talented, it's the worst of modern football.
Not quite, rather it is the idiots who run football that are its worst aspect...

Still not a single youth product in any of those XI’s.
You seem to forget that one of the 20 signings I am advocating includes Kieran Trippier, a guy who (despite coming from a family of United supporters) actually started off his football career at Man City's academy and remained on our books until 2012, when City stupidly sold them (without a buyback clause) to Burnley, who then sold him to Tottenham Hotspur (and eventually replaced a City bound Walker in their First XI).

So if we bought him back (which we very much should) then he would like Pogba and Alives, a youth academy which we ended up paying stupid money to bring back as the result of our mistake...

Anyway on the broader point you have made, I have always said that if any youth player wants to get into the senior mens team, they need to prove themselves elsewhere before they should be deemed to be fit to wear the shirt. Because in my view no one player should have a god given right to play for any team no matter how good they might well be.

Hence why I am strongly in favour of B Teams (fake or otherwise) to give our youth players the chance to prove themsevles.

They must all be playing in those fake “B teams” City “has”.
And the more that do the better. Because they will be given a better chance to prove themselves than be expected to win a Quadruple from the get go.

To anyone reading on mobile, any footnotes make the post far more cluttered and unreadable than just writing the post without the foot notes. An audience reading a xenForo forum on mobile does not want to continually scroll up and down through a post for footnotes.
It is a good point to be fair...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Spending 2 billions and ending up with Lloris. More money than sense.:houllier:

Carolina Red

Staff
You seem to forget that one of the 20 signings I am advocating includes Kieran Trippier, a guy who (despite coming from a family of United supporters) actually started off his football career at Man City's academy and remained on our books until 2012, when City stupidly sold them (without a buyback clause) to Burnley, who then sold him to Tottenham Hotspur (and eventually replaced a City bound Walker in their First XI).

So if we bought him back (which we very much should) then he would like Pogba
Who gave Trippier his senior debut?

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
Spending 2 billions and ending up with Lloris. More money than sense.:houllier:
As a 3rd choice keeper to be fair (and yes he is still better than Bravo). Besides it is not like there are a large range of options out there considering Pep's peferences for Sweeper Keepers, especially since I don't think Neuer will be leaving Bayern Munich any time soon.

Who gave Trippier his senior debut?
Barnsley. However he was on City's books at the time though. Just like Lingard was (and still is) on United's books when he made his (overall) senior footballing debut for Leicester City.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
No it wasn't, it was brought in to protect the existing big clubs from any more new billionaire-fuelled competitors like Chelsea and City, hence why they tried to link spending to football-related income.

Carolina Red

Staff
Barnsley. However he was on City's books at the time though. Just like Lingard was (and still is) on United's books when he made his (overall) senior footballing debut for Leicester City.
It’s not the same though. Trippier has never even made a senior appearance for City, so forgive me if I see him as the product of Barnsley and Burnley and don’t include him when I say that you created 3 City XI’s and, like Pep, didn’t even consider a current Academy youth for any of them.

C'est Moi Cantona

@1Manchester You're clearly bending things to fit your remit, understandable, but to expect anyone (other than City fans) to go along with a club that has been plucked from the abyss to somehow be given 'carte blanche' to break the monopoly on the Spanish clubs is stupid, the reality is on a whim a club like Villa could have been in City's position just now, it was right place, right time, nothing else, like it or not people respect the history of the established top clubs, but no one will ever respect City or PsG if they are just cut loose to spend what they want to win the CL, even though one you really should have done by now.

1Manchester

Supports
Manchester City
It’s not the same though.
You implyed that Trippier was not a City graduate (despite the fact he came our academy) because City did not give him his senior debut. My point was that it is about as accurate as claiming Lingard is not a United graduate because another club gave him his senior debut. Hence why few despute that Carvajal is a Real Madrid graudate and Alba is a Barcelona graduate, despite the fact they made their senior debuts with other clubs.

Likewise the fact is United were smart enough to retain Lingard until he could prove himself while City were dumb enough to not do the same for Trippier is another matter altogether.

Trippier has never even made a senior appearance for City, so forgive me if I see him as the product of Barnsley and Burnley
If you are going down that road, do you also agree that Tom Heaton and Danny Drinkwater are graudates of Swindon Town and Huddesfield Town respectively (the clubs that gave their senior debuts), despite coming from United academy (although not playing senior games for them) and for being on United's books for many years after their senior debut.

Because if I was a United fan, I would be proud that both of them came from United's academy and angry at the club for letting them go too early (while keeping Fellaini on the books).

don’t include him when I say that you created 3 City XI’s and, like Pep, didn’t even consider an Academy youth for any of them.
So how did he end up in our academy teams if he is not an "academy youth", as this photo shows:

I mean I know things where bad in those days, but I don't recall things being that bad that we selected random people to play in our youth sides games :lol:

decorativeed

Mainly about the reasons why:
  • FFP needs to be scrapped/relaxed to break the El Classico monopoly on the Champions League.
  • Why Man City and PSG have had to spend more money (for better or worse) than Real Madrid and Barcelona
  • What Man City need to a certain amount on transfers to break said monopoly.
But - despite reading about 30,000 words you've written in this thread (footnotes included) - I've still no idea why you'd think you'd find people on this forum in particular willing to back City and PSG (or more accurately speaking, their owners and financiers) over Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Now I'm no fan of either of those, but your idea that City and PSG should be allowed free reign to bulk buy every available world class player in the world, making it impossible for any other team in their countries or in the Champions League to get so much of a glimpse of silverware for the foreseeable future just to stop Real and Barca - as if you'd be fighting a noble battle on every other club's behalf - is ludicrous.

Your suggestion it would increase competition is even more ridiculous.

The notion that age-old rivals across Europe would merge just to get a slightly bigger chance to win their domestic titles - and presumably for the honour of being knocked out by our golden saviours City and PSG in the Champions League semis, is laughable.

And on top of that, as a "Proud Mancunian" you'd be happy to create a system whereby there's even less chance of a local, home-grown player featuring in City's decade long run of quadruple winning seasons than there is currently?

It's like I'm reading something produced by a 1980s under-16 Young Conservative economic policy club. Absolute nonesence.

Carolina Red

Staff
@1Manchester

I personally don’t put buying back established players after they’ve left your academy and made careers at other clubs after you’ve sold them into the same category as actually promoting someone from your academy into your senior squad, which is what I’m refering to when I made the post above.

Specifically, I was drawing reference to the day that Pep fielded a 6 man bench instead of putting an academy kid on it.

Haddock

If it was really designed to prevent footballing financial meltdowns such as Leeds, Parma and Portsmouth, the FFP would have simply imposed a cap on any ones club overall debt (subject to variation in relation to a clubs overall revenue) and nothing else. Which would have had the side benefit of forcing the Glazers to pay off the debt they have lumbered Man United or sell the club to those who will.

Instead by imposing a cap on net losses (and unoffically on owners doing self-sponsorship deals with their clubs they own) and thus stopping ambitious owners from making the investments needed to challenge the established, it is in reality nothing more than a cynical anti-competitive policy that basically designed to maintain the status of the established clubs from any prospective challenges. That is how I see it anyway...
You may see it many ways. The fact is that the Commission in charge of these things dismissed the case against FFP that alleged it was anti-competitive.
No it wasn't, it was brought in to protect the existing big clubs from any more new billionaire-fuelled competitors like Chelsea and City, hence why they tried to link spending to football-related income.
The intent was literally to stop clubs going bust because in 2009 half the clubs in Europe had made a loss in the 2008 season and at least 20 percent were in danger of going bankruptcy. The fact that the gap widened was a failure of policy, it's not a conspiracy. The Commission even rejected the case against FFP. In any case intent is almost never used to decide an Article 101 or 102 case.

stevoc

For example while Real Madrid have got rid of Ronaldo, they can still afford to replace him with either Neymar or Hazard (heck they would likely afford both), which (so long as the formations/tactics are modified to take account of their inclusion) would enable them to maintain the same level of quality and thus continue their dominance of in the CL. Likewise Barcelona have basically managed to sign Iniesta's replacement in the form of Coutinho (which is not a bad like-for-like replacement), hence why I want Man City to sign him up) and are able to afford someone like Salah to replace Messi when the time comes.

So it is is very foolish of other clubs to assume that the decline of the El Classico sides (and without a doubt they are declining) will enable them to start winning CL's once more considering the ability of both clubs to maintain their dominance in the long-term, hence why both "declining" clubs continue to dominate the CL to this day (despite Barcelona bottling it against Roma in the QF 2nd Leg Last Season, which had they not done so would have enabled them to reach the final). Thus the only way anyone can break their monopoly is if they invest massively on transfers (and in turn rob many other major clubs of their best players) to build a squad that can outcompete with them in the Champions League.

That in turn either requires scrapping FFP altogether or at the very least reform FFP to allow for clubs to obtain a unrestricted amount of inflated self-sponsorship from the owners of said club. Which would allow owners to invest into clubs without the possibility of lumbering said clubs with debt that they cannot afford (which should be the main focus of FFP in my view).
What a bump.

It stops team's like Man City (1) from building up squads which are able to win the CL while also being able to dominate their domestic competitions. Especially in an age of when the likes of Pogba cost £100 million and the likes of Neymar cost £200 million.
It doesn't City over the last few years have spent as much or more than anyone. If you haven't got a squad capable of winning the Champions League then it's not because of a lack of spending power.

The thing is though, UEFA have shown that there is an "unspoken" limit to how far you can "inflate" sponsorship (despite being no formal criteria as such) within the limits of FFP as their recent actions have shown. Now if UEFA stopped doing this and permitted it under FFP (which would not be a bad thing since it does not encourage owners from lumbering clubs with debt) then I would no longer be against FFP.

Because footballing biases aside, I feel that FFP should be used to stop clubs being lumbered with debt (either to achieve success for other reasons) rather than it being used as a tool to perserve cartels and monopolies in the world of European Club Football. Because for me the issue of the former is far more important (especially for us football fans, no matter what club we support) than disputing about who had a god given right to success/trophies or not.
Yeah no shit mate if there wasn't a limit to how much they are letting you take the piss then there would be no point in FFP at all. For your information the ''limit'' you are speaking of is what other top clubs get from legitimate sponsorships, City and PSG's inflated deals have to be in or around those. For example if Chevrolet are paying United £50m per year then City can't say Etihad are willing to pay them £80m per year.

That is because both PSG and Man City started off from a much lower base than Real Madrid (2) or even Barcelona, the latter of wholm beneftted from a golden generation of players from La Masia which is unlikely to be repeated every again by any other another club academy.

Now as I have stated previously, I feel that for City (and also PSG) to be in any position to win a Quadruple (and dominate their domestic league at the same time) (3) and do so on a regular basis, they need to have a squad which contains enough players (and the quality) to form 2 World Class XIs. Likewise to be in a strong position to achieve those goals on a regular basis I would go as far as suggest they need a squad which contains enough players (and the quality) to form 3 World Class XIs.

So to answer your question about "How much I feel City need to spend", well lets firstly take a look at their best possible First and Second XIs:

First XI

Ederson
KDB - Fernandinho - D.Silva
Sterling - Aguero - Sane

Second XI

Bravo
Danilo - Stones - Otamendi - Delph
Gündoğan - Toure - Foden
B.Silva - Jesus - Zinchenko​

As you can see when you can look at the First XI, you can see why Man City ended up winning the League by 100 points (and breaking other records in the Premier League) when you look at the quality of that starting XI (even if Mendy hardly played while Kompany missed large parts of the previous few seasons).

However when you look at the Second XI, the amount of quality in that side is considerbally less to say the least, so much so that I ended up having to put Zinchenko (despite being a CM/CAM...even if he has been played as a LB last season) as LW for lack of any other options (hence why we should have got Sanchez last season instead of royally f**king that one up). Which (4) explains a lot why we crashed out of the Champions League in the QF, got kicked out of the FA Cup by Wigan, struggled to maintain the same level of performance in the Premier League during the second half of last season and of course lost 3 times to Liverpool (despite having a utter shock of defence as well as having Henderson as their capitain). Simply because we lacked strength in depth.

So to enable us to have enough players (and quality) to allow us to have 2 World Class XI's within our squad, we need to purchase another GK, another LB, 2 CBs, another RB, another DM, another CM, another LW, another RW and another Striker. In other words 10 new players or more specifically these players:

GK: Allison (Transfermarkt Value: £54 Million) (5)

LB: David Alaba (Transfermarkt Value: £45 Million)

CB: Jan Vertonghen (Transfermarkt Value: £29 Million)

CB: Toby Alderweireld (Transfermarkt Value: £36 Million)

RB: Joshua Kimmich (Transfermarkt Value: £50 Million)

DM: Casemiro (Transfermarkt Value: £54 Million)

CM: Isco (Transfermarkt Value: £68 Million)

LW: Eden Hazard (Transfermarkt Value: £100 Million)

RW: Riyad Mahrez (Transfermarkt Value: £45 Million) (The only one on this list who has actually been signed up)

ST: Harry Kane (Transfermarkt Value: £135 Million)

Now to get all 10 of these players would cost a grand total of (according to the Transfermarkt) of £616 Million, although in reality the cost would be closer to £800-900 million for all 10 of these players (if not more) while the wages required to obtain these players would likely push the overall cost of these 10 players past £1 billion.

It would however mean that Man City would finally a squad which could provide them with 2 World Class XI's, as these post-transfer First and Second XI's show:

First XI

Ederson
KDB - Casemiro - D.Silva
Sterling - Kane - Hazard

Second XI

Allison
Mahrez - Aguero - Sane

Additional Players: Stones (CB); Danilo (RB/LB); Gündoğan (CM); Jesus (ST)​

Likewise for Man City to obtain enough players (and quality) to have 3 World Class XI's, they would also need obtain the following 10 players as well:

GK: Hugo Lloris (Transfermarkt Value: £23 Million)

LB: Alex Sandro (Transfermarkt Value: £41 Million)

CB: Kalidou Koulibaly (Transfermarkt Value: £54 Million)

CB: Raphaël Varane (Transfermarkt Value: £63 Million)

RB: Kieran Trippier (Transfermarkt Value: £18 Million)

DM: N'Golo Kanté (Transfermarkt Value: £54 Million)

CM: James Rodríguez (Transfermarkt Value: £63 Million)

CM: Thiago (Transfermarkt Value: £54 Million)

LW: Lorenzo Insigne (Transfermarkt Value: £54 Million)

RW: Mo Salah (Transfermarkt Value: £135 Million)

Now to get all 10 of these additional players would cost a grand total of (according to the Transfermarkt) of £559 Million, although again one has to bear in mind that in reality the cost would be closer to £800-900 million for all 10 of these players (if not more) while the wages required to obtain these players would likely push the overall cost of these 10 players past £1 billion.

However if City did decide to spend a grand total of £2 Billion on those 20 players, it would actually give them more than enough players (and quality) to provide the club with 3 World Class XI's:

First XI

Ederson
KDB - Kanté - D.Silva
Salah - Kane - Hazard

Second XI

Allison
Walker - Varane - Koulibaly - Sandro
Thiago - Casemiro - Rodríguez
Sterling - Aguero - Sane

Third XI

Lloris
Trippier - Kompany - Laporte - Mendy
Mahrez - Jesus - Insigne

Additional Players: Stones (CB); Danilo (RB/LB); Gündoğan (CM);​

So long story short, the amount of addtional investment Man City need to invest into their squad is at the very least £1 billion and as a maximum £2 billion. A figure which is course stupidly high, but when you want to build a that wants to completely dominate both Domestic and European football and do so in an age of £100 million Pogba's and £200 million Neymars, the overall cost is going to reach such levels.

Note

(1) Who don't have the benefit of competiting in a domestic league which only 2 sides have a realisic chance of winning. A benefit which makes it eaiser for a team to win both their Domestic League and the Champions League.

(2) Let us not forget that ever since George Weah left for AC Milan (who was practised in the art of financial doping long before PSG or City where), PSG where basically a mid-table side who qualified for the Champions League 3 times in 15 years (and all the while get knocked out in the Group Stage every time) and whose best league performances during the 1997-2011 period were finishing 2nd on 2 occasions. All this in a domestic league which was at best the 5th best one in Europe.

Man City meanwhile where also a mid-table side (who had brief spells in the 2nd and even 3rd tiers of football) in the last 10-15 years before the ADUG takeover and one which qualified for European competition only once (the Europa League in 2003-2004) before the takeover.

Real Madrid in contrast since 1997 has never finished lower than 5th in their domestic league (which is among the strongest of domestic leagues in Europe), won said league 4 times, finished 2nd 3 times, reached the Copa Del Rey finals twice and won the Champions League 3 times in the years before ADUG's takeover of City. All this in a period that was considered disappointing (for a club like Real) by many.

(3) In other words win the domestic league by at least 95-100 points as part of a Quadruple.

(4) When you combine the fact that it is pretty much impossible to win a Quadruple by playing the same First XI across 60+ games, games which they need to play to win all 4 trophies.

(5) Yes I know he has foolishly signed up for Liverpool, but there is nothing stopping City (who should have hijacked the move in the first place) from signing him up in January from Merseyside, which hopefully would be helped by Allison finding out the painful reality of having Lovern right in front of you.
I'm going to be honest mate lifes too short to read all that.

NikkiCFC

Supports
Chelsea
I like this, it's a great idea from UEFA especially for the future. But if you look at the past not many clubs break this rule.

Real 2009, 2013.
Barcelona 2017.
PSG 2012, 2013, 2017.
AC Milan 2017.
Chelsea 2003, 2004, 2010.
United 2014, 2016, 2017.
City 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017.

Liverpool, Barcelona 2018 for sure and possible Utd, City, Juventus.

I like that Roman spent crazy money just in his first two years at Chelsea. After that we become very stable club.
City in the other hand 10 years later after new owner came still didn't accomplished something similar.
Utd lost their plot after SAF left.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
You may see it many ways. The fact is that the Commission in charge of these things dismissed the case against FFP that alleged it was anti-competitive.

The intent was literally to stop clubs going bust because in 2009 half the clubs in Europe had made a loss in the 2008 season and at least 20 percent were in danger of going bankruptcy. The fact that the gap widened was a failure of policy, it's not a conspiracy. The Commission even rejected the case against FFP. In any case intent is almost never used to decide an Article 101 or 102 case.
You were duped by the PR. The rules were set purely to stop new money coming in and threatening the existing big clubs. The big clubs didn't give a toss whether Leeds went bust, they did care when new billionaire clubs threatened their own dominant positions and chances of winning the big prizes. If they were truly concerned about bankruptcies they would have welcomed money coming into the game from all sources and set the spending restrictions against that, but of course they didn't, for their own reasons.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Don't see anything wrong with that. I too feel sorry that Manchester City have only one world class first XI and totally agree that a further 2 billion in spending is totally reasonable and fair.

brb starting a gofundme.