Learn to Retain the Ball if Under Pressure

IrishRedDevil

We all love watching the killer ball being played, and it’s great to have players always willing to take a risk. Fernandes has come in and is always attempting to ping the ball forward, often leading in us scoring goals, which is great.

However, there has been times where we have been under pressure for sustained periods of a game, then we win the ball back, the risky pass is attempted immediately, isn’t successful, which gives the ball straight back to the opposition team and puts the team back under pressure for another several minutes. It happened several times against Southampton and we were very nearly punished tonight vs Palace.

Surely the players need to be told to play smarter and to keep the ball for a few minutes and focus on game management, rather than always going for the risky pass. A few boring, sideways passes is sometimes needed.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I like the if in the title. It feel more instructive.

padr81

Supports
Man City
KDB does this as well and at times its infuriating but to take it out of him would be taking the magic out of him. Same with Fernandes.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Fernandez is very direct. It's what makes him what he is. In some games, we need more patience.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It would actually be fine if his midfield peers weren't getting dispossessed and so lackadaisical on the ball themselves. Taking Palace's offside goal as an example, sure Bruno lost it but he won it half a second before with a great tackle. At least with Bruno he's creating enough to warrant it. Most our good moves still come from an issue he forced. We aren't controlling the game as well because we're generally too passive and ponderous. The opposition can smell that out and flood players to press.

Skills

Snitch
Fernandez is very direct. It's what makes him what he is. In some games, we need more patience.
But he needs to remember who he's playing for now. If there's one thing this fanbase hates, it's flair, creativity or risk taking. A full season at a packed Old Trafford will knock it out of him, no problem.

Hammondo

I wrote this on this forum about a week ago, we do not make space well. Pogba is not a midfielder who can run a game because he bad at creating and understanding space. We need another midfielder who can do it like Carrick, Xavi, Pirlo.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Every single midfielder of ours gets caught on the ball time and again. Matic just now. I’m surprised we don’t pay for it more often to be honest.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Every single midfielder of ours gets caught on the ball time and again. Matic just now. I’m surprised we don’t pay for it more often to be honest.
In fairness since Matic has come on we look to be generally controlling the game far better than we were. Not saying Matic doesn't get caught out at times though.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
In fairness since Matic has come on we look to be generally controlling the game far better than we were. Not saying Matic doesn't get caught out at times though.
We have been but I’d still love someone who’s really tight in possession and press resistant. Bruno is but his game makes him take risks cause he’s always looking for killer pass.