Lee Martin going on loan this week

oskarutd

Fergie hails starlet Evans
Stuart Brennan

RISING STAR: Jonathan Evans
JONNY Evans can return from his season's loan with Royal Antwerp and start to push for a first-team place at Old Trafford.

That was the belief of Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson, who is convinced the teenage centre-half can be the latest in an illustrious line of Ulstermen to play for the Reds - from Jackie Blanchflower through George Best to Sammy McIlroy and Norman Whiteside.

Ferguson also has high hopes for Eccles lad Danny Simpson and midfielder Lee Martin who, like Evans, have made a big impression during high-profile games in pre-season.

Belfast-born Evans, who is 18, has caught the eye most, scoring in a friendly at Celtic and looking mature and sharp in the South Africa tour and last weekend's Amsterdam Tournament. Now he is to head off for a year at United's associate club Royal Antwerp in the Belgian second division.

Ferguson, normally cautious in his praise of up-and-coming talents, said: "Jonny has been here since he was 12 years of age. We have an academy in Belfast which has produced some terrific young players for us, and the scouting system in that part of the country has been very, very good to us.

"Jonny has wonderful composure, temperament, balance and stature and in a year's time he will be absolutely outstanding.

"I think he will play for Northern Ireland in the next year and a half, even though he is only 18. And I am 100 per cent certain he will be a Manchester United player."

Simpson is a year older than Evans, but there is already talk within Old Trafford that he will challenge fellow Salfordian Phil Bardsley for the right to be Gary Neville's natural successor at right back.

Ferguson, speaking at the launch of the Manchester United Premier Cup this week, said: "Danny is a local boy from Salford which has been a great breeding-ground for us over the past few decades. Danny has the potential to be an outstanding player. For a young boy he is a natural defender, with great speed. Our plan is to farm him out to Royal Antwerp along with Jonny."

Martin is a different case - he already had first-team experience with Wimbledon as a 16-year-old before joining United for an initial fee of £200,000 which could rise to £1m depending on his success. Last season he made his United first-team debut in the Carling Cup tie with Barnet.

Now 19, the Somerset lad usually plays up and down the left flank, and is also expected to go out on loan next week, with Rangers first in the queue to sign him.

"We signed Lee from Wimbledon two years ago, and he cost us some money, but we are now seeing why he cost us money.

"He came here for the final year of his schooling and then went into our academy. He will be farmed out this week to another club for six months to give him experience."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchesterunited/s/220/220366_fergie_hails_starlet_evans.html

Epic

oskarutd said:
"He will be farmed out this week to another club for six months to give him experience."
Hope it's Rangers

Danish Wizard

Well, I hope to see all three be more involved with the first team next season. And get some Premiership games..

It would be good for Lee Martin to play 6 months with Rangers in Scotland..

oskarutd

It´s confirmed, until the new year with Rangers.
TonyPark was, as I didn´t doubt, right. Adam Eckersley has gone to Bröndby on loan for the same period.

BezsMaracas

Are SPL games on sky? Might have to start watching it to see how he gets on. Really good move for Martin.

BezsMaracas

Lee Martin on Rangers move

"I know a lot of the players by name only. I used to play football computer games and Rangers were one of the teams! Now these are the guys I will be training with so I'm looking forward to meeting them all and settling in as quickly as possible. I'm delighted to come to such a club as Rangers. It's unbelievable and I have high expectations during my loan period. The whole reason for me coming her is to improve as a player on and off the pitch. It would be brilliant if I could get into the squad for Sunday's game at Dunfermline. My aim is to get into the starting 11 as quickly as possible. I know this is a new period for Rangers with a new manager and new players so for me to come in and be a part of it is really exciting. I'm really looking forward to it."

Paul Le Guen

"I am excited about this young player and I think he could be a good addition to the squad. I was impressed with Lee when I watched him play for Manchester United against Celtic recently and I have spoken about him many times with Alex Ferguson – he confirmed to me that he is a good player. I think it could be good for all parties - the player, Manchester United and Rangers - because he will be able to improve here so it's good for everyone. He could be involved at Dunfermline on Sunday, why not? I am happy that he is fit because he has played in quite a few matches in pre-season."

oskarutd

18 August 2006
MCCLAIR: ROOKIES WILL LEARN WHAT IT TAKES AT IBROX
By Hugh Keevins

BRIAN McCLAIR knows what it takes to make it all the way at the Old Firm and Manchester United -big bollocks.

That's why Lee Martin and Phil Bardsley, both helped through the Old Trafford youth system by McClair, have been allowed to go to Rangers on loan until the end of the season.

The talent possessed by the full-back and the winger is not in question.

The time they spend at one half of Glasgow's big two will determine whether they have the bottle to live with 50,000 crowds for home games, and the fact their every move off the park will be scrutinised in a way they've never experiencedbefore.

McClair was known as Choccy during his playing days at Celtic Park but the nickname had nothing to do with him having a soft centre.

Atotalof120goalsin199appearancesfor theHoopsbetween 1983 and 1987 vouched for the size of his heart and explains why Sir Alex Ferguson paid £850,000 to take him to Manchester United.

Advertisement

But it was when Choccy squared up to Graeme Souness in an Old Firm derby that he showed what strength of character it takes to survive at the highest level.

The game was goalless when McClair and Rangers' player-manager clashed on the park. "Showusyermedals, sonny," Soueytaunted.

Then, in the space of three controversy-filled minutes, Celtic were twice awarded penalty kicks and McClair slotted both of them beyond ChrisWoods.

After the second one hit the net Choccy ran past Souness and said: "Where are yer medals now then?"

McClair wouldn't recommend on-field confrontationinthewhite-hotheatofanOld Firm game as adeliberate course of action for Bardsley or Martin. But he does expect them to stand up to the rigours of life in a world removed from the one they've known down south.

He said: "What's well known is that Phil and Lee are exceptionally talented players. We've always got a good handle on how the young lads at the academy are progressing and there's no doubt in our minds that these two lads are future first-team players at United.

"I've worked with Phil since he was nine and the situation he's in now is that his first-team opportunities will be restricted because of the alternatives the manager has at his disposal at present. But Phil needs to play and Rangers is the ideal opportunity for him.

"Lee'sbeenwi thus since hewas 16 and while he's already been on loan to Royal Antwerp in Belgium - and been their Player of the Year - he needs another temporary transfer that takes him up to an even higher level.

"My belief, based on personal experience, is that you need to be a special type of person to play for Manchester United, Celtic or Rangers. You do need big bollocks and their good fortune is that both of them have a finely-honed competitive streak.

"That comes from being with a club where, even though it may be a youth team match in a deserted stadium, theoppositionis desperate to beat you because you're wearing Manchester United jerseys.

"But being with United is about howyou conductyourself on and off the park. And this move to Ibrox for Lee and Phil is going to be a life experience as well as a shrewd move for their playing careers."

McClair at least had the advantage of being born in Lanarkshire and brought up in the intense rivalry of the Old Firm divide. But he has no reservations about Rangers' two incomers quickly adapting to the peculiar nature of their adopted surroundings.

He said: "It'll be great for them, a wonderful chance to show what they're made of. Rangers also offer them the European dimension of the UEFA Cup and we want them to enjoy the spine-tingling atmosphere of Ibrox when it's filled to capacity.

"When the young players at United go to watch afirst-team game at Old Trafford we want them to sit there thinking to themselves, 'I'm going to be there one day'. We don't wantthem everto say, 'Imightbe out there someday'.

"Lee and Phil have to be better men for the experience of being with Rangers."

McClair's personal assessment of bothplayersisthatfirstandforemost they have the self-belief in their headstogo with the obvious talent at their feet. He said: "Phil's a strong boy, tough and resolute in the tackle.

"Lee has great confidence in his own ability as well and there's absolutely nothing wrong with being like that.

"I've lost count of the number of times I've watched opponents think they've backed Lee into a corner, only to lose him when he wriggles free because of his two-footed assurance. And he's industrious with it.

"The number of dangerously-placed free-kicks he'll win for Rangers will be another part of his game they'll love to have on their side.

"But the one thing I won't do is compare them with anyone, past or present, at Man United. I think that kind of exercise is wrong.

"The boys are in Glasgow to be monitored in their own right.

"I'm certain Paul Le Guen will update our gaffer on their progress and it would always be Manchester United's way to keep close tabs on the guys for ourselves.

"Personally speaking, I don'twant to see them again. My work with them is over and the next time they go back to Old Trafford I want it to be as members of the Manchester United first-team squad."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/tm_objectid=17582719%26method=full%26siteid=66633%26headline=mcclair--rookies-will-learn-what-it-takes-at-ibrox-name_page.html