Leeds (dirty thugs) discussion

Darlington Padgett

Since SAF we have endured Moyes (not up to it) LVG (well past his best & not up to it) Mourinho (past his best, bad fit & not up to it) and now Olé (not up to it & never will be)
How come we didn't get Bielsa? We would probably be going for title. 25 now if we got him.
Still not too late. The man's teams really play, they play good attacking ball, they play for him. For the shirt.
Just what we need.
He's a top-class manager but he's known for not being mentally stable. I would've loved to have him but he would've been a huge risk too. We can't deny the man is a genius but if you take a look at his past you'll see why the board will be reluctant to have him.

R77

The idea of Bielsa and Woody is quite amusing. Shortest stint yet?

This turned up in my feed. Not especially easy to digest, but interesting nonetheless so might as well throw it in here;

Foxbatt

R77 thank you very much for this video. It is amazing his ideas. I really wish he would be given the gig and time to implement his ideas.

R77

Glad you found it interesting. It seems pretty much a high intensity, refined take on Cruijff-school Total Football, only the reasoning behind it is slightly different. Mainly so the team can regain/maintain shape quickly during transitions, and when players get pulled out of position. At least that's how I read it, but I'll watch again at some point in a clearer state.

His influence on Guardiola is certainly more evident after watching.

Ludens the Red

Just a gentle reminder that Leeds United and their fans are gigantic cnuts. Let’s try and throw that reminder in ever so often.

Foxbatt

Glad you found it interesting. It seems pretty much a high intensity, refined take on Cruijff-school Total Football, only the reasoning behind it is slightly different. Mainly so the team can regain/maintain shape quickly during transitions, and when players get pulled out of position. At least that's how I read it, but I'll watch again at some point in a clearer state.

His influence on Guardiola is certainly more evident after watching.
Yes very interesting. I never knew anything about Bielsa. This shows at least he is a top coach at least theory wise.
I like the fact about how simple it becomes but all at the end. It was intense early on and confusing until the end.
His axis and the triangles players need to play make it very simple. Also the multifunctionality of the players.
From my understanding at the level AWB will not get into his team at United while Lindelof will.
The lack of lateral movement of our players will also be a problem.
For any Leeds fans here how good is he really?

tomaldinho1

Just a gentle reminder that Leeds United and their fans are gigantic cnuts. Let’s try and throw that reminder in ever so often.
It fills me with dread but also excitement to think we will have Home & Away fixtures versus the biggest rivals possible: Liverpool, Leeds, City. The fact Leeds look pretty good and we're a bit all over the shop only adds fire, it's just a shame there'll likely be no fans.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yes very interesting. I never knew anything about Bielsa. This shows at least he is a top coach at least theory wise.
I like the fact about how simple it becomes but all at the end. It was intense early on and confusing until the end.
His axis and the triangles players need to play make it very simple. Also the multifunctionality of the players.
From my understanding at the level AWB will not get into his team at United while Lindelof will.
The lack of lateral movement of our players will also be a problem.
For any Leeds fans here how good is he really?
I think you would struggle to find a Leeds fan who doesn't think Bielsa is a football god at the moment.

Foxbatt

I think you would struggle to find a Leeds fan who doesn't think Bielsa is a football god at the moment.
His theories are extremely impressive but I wanted to know how good is he in implementing them at Leeds? All top coaches have a theory or a philosophy. But not all of them can implement it very well. Perhaps due to the players available in not being able to implement them and mostly not being given time to implement them from the academy and the young players coming through.
I have to watch them this season just because of Bielsa.

dev1l

His theories are extremely impressive but I wanted to know how good is he in implementing them at Leeds? All top coaches have a theory or a philosophy. But not all of them can implement it very well. Perhaps due to the players available in not being able to implement them and mostly not being given time to implement them from the academy and the young players coming through.
True.
He still find it difficult to go to a big team eg Barca/Real etc. The reason is that he s very demanding and wants full control.

I m also convinced that some "big names" won't play for him because his focus is totally on the system. The individual comes second (tbf it should be like that)

ray24

Supports
Arsenal
He turned a team that finished mid-table in the Championship before he arrived into title-contenders, and subsequently promoted them in his second season without any heavy investment. Look up Leeds fans reaction to the first match under Bielsa, as he managed to turn the team from one that most fans would want to get rid off into a team playing a high-pressing/passing football.

It's why he is better with mid-tier or lower-tier players, as they are more willing to fight and train harder when they are playing for Bielsa than top-tier players. Top-tier players don't need Bielsa as a coach to play well against top-level sides. But lower and mid-tier players would absolutely love him as they can become competitive against the top-tier sides under Bielsa.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

FizzyWomack

Jesus some of you need to take Leeds balls out your mouth. They hate us. We don’t like them.

Now stop sounding like closet Leeds fans and grow a pair.

Horrible club with horrible fans. I work with them trust me I know what they think of us.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Spark

Yeah Leeds are cnuts obviously, with utter scum for fans, but Bielsa is still an intriguing manager regardless.

It's just painful seeing City, Liverpool, Leeds and even Everton with actual managers. Ones with a CV beyond "club legend".

R77

Jesus some of you need to take Leeds balls out your mouth. They hate us. We don’t like them.

Now stop sounding like closet Leeds fans and grow a pair.

Horrible club with horrible fans. I work with them trust me I know what they think of us.
Can't argue with that, but it's so eminently 2020 that three of the most influential mangers around atm happen to be in charge of our three biggest rivals. It's worth trying to seperate the two now and then to geek out a little, for those of us that are into that kind of thing. Doesn't mean we like them.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He turned a team that finished mid-table in the Championship before he arrived into title-contenders, and subsequently promoted them in his second season without any heavy investment. Look up Leeds fans reaction to the first match under Bielsa, as he managed to turn the team from one that most fans would want to get rid off into a team playing a high-pressing/passing football.

It's why he is better with mid-tier or lower-tier players, as they are more willing to fight and train harder when they are playing for Bielsa than top-tier players. Top-tier players don't need Bielsa as a coach to play well against top-level sides. But lower and mid-tier players would absolutely love him as they can become competitive against the top-tier sides under Bielsa.
This. There is zero chance established players like Neymar, Pogba and Dele Alli can work with Bielsa. It is double and even triple training sessions and non stop pressing for 90 min on the pitch. Only the young, unknown, and up and coming young players will have the drive and push to work with him to improve themselves to the next level. Look no further than Luke Ayling, Liam Cooper and Kalvin Phillips. Without Bielsa, Kalvin Philips has zero chance make it to the national team. I will not be suprised if Jack Harrison leaves Man City and join Leeds united on a permanent basis. As a young player you want to play for Bielsa. I feel sorry for Daniel James.

NM

This. There is zero chance established players like Neymar, Pogba and Dele Alli can work with Bielsa. It is double and even triple training sessions and non stop pressing for 90 min on the pitch. Only the young, unknown, and up and coming young players will have the drive and push to work with him to improve themselves to the next level. Look no further than Luke Ayling, Liam Cooper and Kalvin Phillips. Without Bielsa, Kalvin Philips has zero chance make it to the national team. I will not be suprised if Jack Harrison leaves Man City and join Leeds united on a permanent basis. As a young player you want to play for Bielsa. I feel sorry for Daniel James.
And I feel sorry for anybody that has to play for Arteta or support Arsenal but here we are :lol:

It's possible to discuss Biesla and Leeds without slagging United, even if you are an opposition fan

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
And I feel sorry for anybody that has to play for Arteta or support Arsenal but here we are :lol:

It's possible to discuss Biesla and Leeds without slagging United, even if you are an opposition fan
nothing to do with Man utd. I was refering to his missed opportunity joining Leeds United from Swanesa back in 2018. It is documented in amazon prime video.

Ludens the Red

Can't argue with that, but it's so eminently 2020 that three of the most influential mangers around atm happen to be in charge of our three biggest rivals. It's worth trying to seperate the two now and then to geek out a little, for those of us that are into that kind of thing. Doesn't mean we like them.
Ah yeah I like Bielsa, I sat through the first season of their documentary mostly for him...... and because I knew a crushing defeat to Derby was coming.

But yeah I’ve seen some comments in here about Leeds being a second team and it’s kinda gross to be honest. I can’t imagine these comments are coming from people who’ve attended Leeds/United games or had the displeasure of even meeting one of them and hearing how they talk about our club.

:lol: Nice to see you lot are still obsessed with us.
Nah not obsessed. After all, You’re only our fifth biggest rival;)

Cloud7

What is the history with United and Leeds? That's one rivalry that never managed to filter down to me.

Foxbatt

It's got nothing to do with Leeds for me. When you see a top class manager and with his own vision and philosophy you try to learn from him no matter what club he coaches. It's not my second or third club but I want to watch them to learn from him.
I think all upcoming top players want to learn. If you have an ego no top manager is going to tolerate it. Neither would Pep, SAF, Klopp or even Cruijff. You play for the team.
I am going to watch him and see what he can do. It's very interesting.
It's understandable that he wants full control. Otherwise he can't implement his vision. I want him to see at a big club to see how good his theories are and if he can implement it with better players.
Yes James would be a top player if he had gone to Leeds.

FizzyWomack

Fair play mate. But just remember, they despise us and aren’t shy of doing an airplane impression.

Feck Leeds and feck their fans. Oh and feck Bielsa too.
:smirk:

ray24

Supports
Arsenal
There's one thing that Bielsa does really well, irregardless of how his perform by the end of the season is that he improves players. If you are a young player, Bielsa is the best coach for you.

On the other hand, I think a coach like Ole will waste the potential of his younger players. Yes, some of them will still develop because they are given a chance to play, but it's more of a learn on your own approach.

Players like Daniel James who can appear too one dimensional can benefit more from a coach like Bielsa than Ole.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
He's a top-class manager but he's known for not being mentally stable. I would've loved to have him but he would've been a huge risk too. We can't deny the man is a genius but if you take a look at his past you'll see why the board will be reluctant to have him.
Who says he's not known for being mentally stable?
I think that's BS.
Was Eric known for being "stable"?
George Best?
Denis Law? Roy Keane?
Even SAF had a few wild accusations thrown at him in his time.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Would Bielsa have failed or fallen out with the players if he coached a Ferguson team?
He definitely would of failed with our last title winning squad. A lot of the squad was on its last legs and would never have bought into his work ethic.

It's possible he could of been successful with our squad just before we won our first PL.. A lot of young players coming through and players Robson, Hughes, Ince, Kanchelskis, Irwin who would run through brick walls every game. Cantona might of been a problem but some players are worth treating with kid gloves. Pallister and Bruce would probably have needed an ambiance on standby for the training sessions though.

As long as players buy into what the manager has to sell then there's a very good chance he could of had a successful career with us.

Foxbatt

Eric has a very good work ethic so shouldn't be a problem. Bielsa always indulge in players who can do the unexpected. Eric would press from the front if required.
This guy is becoming very interesting for fans of good football.
Leeds are going to get a lot more people watching them just because of Bielsa. I really want to see him at a bigger club with more money available to see what kind of football he can deliver.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Eric has a very good work ethic so shouldn't be a problem. Bielsa always indulge in players who can do the unexpected. Eric would press from the front if required.
This guy is becoming very interesting for fans of good football.
Leeds are going to get a lot more people watching them just because of Bielsa. I really want to see him at a bigger club with more money available to see what kind of football he can deliver.
Leeds united spent 100m this transfer window. Victor Orta is responsible for identify players and recruitment there. Bielsa is just a head coach. This is a big investment for a team just got promotion from EFL. I would assume the target this season is just to avoid relegation.

Foxbatt

Leeds united spent 100m this transfer window. Victor Orta is responsible for identify players and recruitment there. Bielsa is just a head coach. This is a big investment for a team just got promotion from EFL. I would assume the target this season is just to avoid relegation.
From what I have seen and heard of Bielsa he has a certain philosophy in his football. So it's just not only the recruitment but also his kind of players is crucial.
I don't see them in a relegation fight from what I have seen this season.
I think they can be a mid table team at least.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Ah yeah I like Bielsa, I sat through the first season of their documentary mostly for him...... and because I knew a crushing defeat to Derby was coming.

But yeah I’ve seen some comments in here about Leeds being a second team and it’s kinda gross to be honest. I can’t imagine these comments are coming from people who’ve attended Leeds/United games or had the displeasure of even meeting one of them and hearing how they talk about our club.

Nah not obsessed. After all, You’re only our fifth biggest rival;)
:lol: Stay safe Leroy.

Mid table team? Check.
I'll take that GB! This season is all about survival in the PL. I look forward to our teams sitting next to each other in the table come May. :)

ray24

Supports
Arsenal
One of the thing Bielsa is really good at is the ability to communicate with the fans. His quotes are often addressed directly to the fans and express what they feel about football.

“ A humble opinion of mine is that the tip of the iceberg has a responsibility to the rest of the iceberg. If anything describes English football, it's Leagues One and Two. It's important not to forget where you came from

I’m not the right person to have an opinion. The PL is the best league in the world... but if anything describes English football it’s League 1 & League 2. As a spectator of football in this country, I feel these 2 categories have the essence of English football."

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Bad comedown after the Liverpool acid trip.

Have to credit Leeds though, they are a very well coached team and completely did us second half tonight (and they were good first half aswell). Missing 2-3 key players aswell.

Have similar quality to what Wolves came up with although I don't think they'll finish quite so high. Still finishing above them will somewhere in top half and their style will take plenty of points off other top half teams as they've already shown v Man. City.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Bad comedown after the Liverpool acid trip.

Have to credit Leeds though, they are a very well coached team and completely did us second half tonight (and they were good first half aswell). Missing 2-3 key players aswell.

Have similar quality to what Wolves came up with although I don't think they'll finish quite so high. Still finishing above them will somewhere in top half and their style will take plenty of points off other top half teams as they've already shown v Man. City.
I think they'd tear us a new one if we picked the wrong double pivot against them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think they'd tear us a new one if we picked the wrong double pivot against them.
Yep that will be an interesting watch for sure. Not sure it would be the type of game to start Matic!

Think someone mentioned it previously but given they wanted Dan James 18 months ago loaning him there in January could really kick him on as a player. Or you could sell him for 30-40m if you don't think he's going to break through here. He'd fit in their frentic style very well.

ray24

Supports
Arsenal
Yep that will be an interesting watch for sure. Not sure it would be the type of game to start Matic!

Think someone mentioned it previously but given they wanted Dan James 18 months ago loaning him there in January could really kick him on as a player. Or you could sell him for 30-40m if you don't think he's going to break through here. He'd fit in their frentic style very well.
They bought Raphina instead, so I doubt they will go back for Dan James.

SuperiorXI

fecking Leeds, another fixture that could bite us in the arse. I hope the players do their homework and realise how much we need to smash these cnuts into smithereens.