Leeds (dirty thugs) discussion

SiRed

I must admit. the game last night was the most entertaining game i have watched in years and years.
Both teams going for it, end to end and 22 men giving their all.
I was amazed at the fitness levels of the players who played the full game with the same intensity that we played in the recent game against city for 8 minutes before running out of breath.

Great stuff and seeing Leeds bottle it made it even better.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Dont care what anyone says I wanted them in the PL. Was looking forward to reigniting the rivalry.

Just imagine our victory over them being the reason they get relegated.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I have to say (and I will be washing my mouth out with soap later): taking the season as a whole they deserved to be promoted. They played some exciting football and have some good youngsters. At least it isn't going to be super-bores WBA

G-manc

I live in a Leeds postcode these days and i've enjoyed today returning some of the abuse i've copped from work colleagues over the course of this season.

Bielsa walks past my house to their training ground - he seems pretty down to earth but i reckon he'll go now. They won't get a better chance than that with their current squad.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I live in a Leeds postcode these days and i've enjoyed today returning some of the abuse i've copped from work colleagues over the course of this season.

Bielsa walks past my house to their training ground - he seems pretty down to earth but i reckon he'll go now. They won't get a better chance than that with their current squad.
Especially considering Bielsa and some of their star players will feck off :lol:

Where you living in Leeds? I'm from there.

Acole9

Outstanding
Delighted about this, my sister's fella is a Leeds fan and he would've been unbearable.

Crustanoid

Loved seeing those tw@ts losing the other night. Worst form of scum. Got their just desserts.

Loublaze

ATLien
I don't really think facing another set of game raising cnuts during the time of our rebuild is a good idea.
Its part of the reason we love this game, the drama. Plus im sick of seeing Derby in and out the league and they have another shot at it

MoskvaRed

Dont care what anyone says I wanted them in the PL. Was looking forward to reigniting the rivalry.

Just imagine our victory over them being the reason they get relegated.
It’s not really a genuine two-sided rivalry though is it? Leeds are a mid-size club who have won very little in their history and have a massive chip on their shoulder about United. Also, they are not local like City or even Liverpool. I’ve been following United since the early 80s and can remember only one year when Leeds were genuine rivals (91/92). So I’d rather play clubs like Villa or Derby or Sheffield Utd who don’t have an irrational hatred for us.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
It’s not really a genuine two-sided rivalry though is it? Leeds are a mid-size club who have won very little in their history and have a massive chip on their shoulder about United. Also, they are not local like City or even Liverpool. I’ve been following United since the early 80s and can remember only one year when Leeds were genuine rivals (91/92). So I’d rather play clubs like Villa or Derby or Sheffield Utd who don’t have an irrational hatred for us.
It's a historic rivalry between Lancashire and Yorkshire. War of the roses and all. I think (would like to believe) we are over past generations of hooliganism and would welcome a proper rivalry where we just keep beating them!

Robertd0803

They really made a mess of that didnt they. Shame, would have been nice to see them back in the league. Though no doubt we would have dropped buckets of points to them.

MoskvaRed

It's a historic rivalry between Lancashire and Yorkshire. War of the roses and all. I think (would like to believe) we are over past generations of hooliganism and would welcome a proper rivalry where we just keep beating them!
On the Roses rivalry point, I’ve always found it surprising that Mr Yorkshire himself, Geoffrey Boycott, supports United.

Fener1907

I met someone from Yorkshire who claimed they didn't know where or what Lancashire was. I'm not sure if they had a great sense of humour or just reaffirmed what unflattering things Lancastrians sometimes say about Yorkshire folk. If it was humour, their poker face was amazing.

Untd55

Not sure why people are happy about this. It means we might see Derby in the Premier League. How exciting...

redshaw

It's more on them still. Sheffield is in Yorkshire, we have no rivalry with Sheff United or Wednesday.

United, City and Sheff Wed have a long history of using the red and white rose, Leeds don't.

Leeds colours are yellow and blue historically. Don Revie changed their kit to all white trying to emulate Real Madrid. Leeds came to the football party quite late, it's a rugby town originally. They added the white rose in the 80s. It's all a bit fake and coincidental this wars
of the roses thing. The vile hatred is from them. We should see evidence involving other Lancs and Yorkshire clubs if this was true.

We had some crunch games with them in the 60s which is the source of the rivalry, bought a couple of their players which incensed the fans and more recently bought Cantona off them to top it off.

RedDave0209

Beautiful.

All we need now is Liverpool to lose CL, Arsenal to win Europa and City to get banned from CL next year and we've had a great season.

(if someone said this already I didn't meant to plagiarise)

Fener1907

We should see evidence involving other Lancs and Yorkshire clubs if this was true.
To be fair, I have heard plenty of 'Lancashire na-na-na' and 'Yoooorkshire' chants at games involving clubs from those regions. Not saying it's nearly as heated as United-Leeds or even considered anything close to a rivalry but Lancashire and Yorkshire clubs certainly aren't averse to pointing it out.

Revaulx

On the Roses rivalry point, I’ve always found it surprising that Mr Yorkshire himself, Geoffrey Boycott, supports United.
I'm not. The percentage of Yorkshire folk who are Leeds fans is small; all the rest absolutely hate them. There's a lot of affection for United simply because Leeds hate us.

MoskvaRed

I'm not. The percentage of Yorkshire folk who are Leeds fans is small; all the rest absolutely hate them. There's a lot of affection for United simply because Leeds hate us.
I know Leeds aren’t that popular even in Yorkshire. My best mate is from Harrogate and he supports Arsenal. But Sir Geoffrey himself supporting a team from the historical county of Lancashire...

Revaulx

I know Leeds aren’t that popular even in Yorkshire. My best mate is from Harrogate and he supports Arsenal. But Sir Geoffrey himself supporting a team from the historical county of Lancashire...
Lots of United fans in Barnsley. Tommy Taylor and the Greenhoff brothers were from there. The ex-mining villages round Doncaster are (or were at one time) full of them as well; Rossington Reds had a fearsome reputation.

Outside of Leeds itself and a handful of neighbouring places (Wakefield, Pontefract, Castleford) you are most unlikely to encounter a Leeds fan.

Classical Mechanic

I met someone from Yorkshire who claimed they didn't know where or what Lancashire was. I'm not sure if they had a great sense of humour or just reaffirmed what unflattering things Lancastrians sometimes say about Yorkshire folk. If it was humour, their poker face was amazing.
Yorkshire folk tend to be pretty entrenched in their Yorkshire identity I find. It's very important to them.

MoskvaRed

Lots of United fans in Barnsley. Tommy Taylor and the Greenhoff brothers were from there. The ex-mining villages round Doncaster are (or were at one time) full of them as well; Rossington Reds had a fearsome reputation.

Outside of Leeds itself and a handful of neighbouring places (Wakefield, Pontefract, Castleford) you are most unlikely to encounter a Leeds fan.
Are you from Yorkshire? I see you have Saddleworth on your profile but I’m not sure which side of the border that is on. Historical Yorkshire but now Gtr Mcr?

Fener1907

Newton Heath LYR. If we're being honest, all good Yorkshire folk should reject Leeds and embrace United. They're the true people's club of Yorkshire.

Revaulx

Are you from Yorkshire? I see you have Saddleworth on your profile but I’m not sure which side of the border that is on. Historical Yorkshire but now Gtr Mcr?
Manchester born and bred, but have lived in Saddleworth for 26 years. You are right; it was part of the West Riding of Yorkshire until 1974.

I sing in two Yorkshire cathedral choirs; I’m in Bradford and Wakefield two days a week each in term time. Which makes me a reluctant Yorkshireman, I suppose :)