Left-footed left winger... we need one right?! (or preferably left!)

The Oracle

How many right-footed players do we have wanting to play on the left side?
Rashford, Sancho, and now Elanga

Why haven't we signed a left-footed left winger?

I know, I know, we have to prioritise a midfielder, but surely we can't continue to ignore the lack of a left-footed left winger in the team?

OL29

I think the hope was that Amad would be an option for that role but it’s not worked out so far for whatever reason.

Thelongsleevesofblomqvist

How many right-footed players do we have wanting to play on the left side?
Rashford, Sancho, and now Elanga

Why haven't we signed a left-footed left winger?

I know, I know, we have to prioritise a midfielder, but surely we can't continue to ignore the lack of a left-footed left winger in the team?
Does teams have that nowadays? Greenwood plays right wing because he has a left foot

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Doesn't seem to hurt Liverpool having Mane out there. Inverted wide players are a norm. No particular reason you need a left footer.

OL29

Doesn't seem to hurt Liverpool having Mane out there. Inverted wide players are a norm. No particular reason you need a left footer.
Doesn’t Salah play on the right for them? I think Mane did play well there for them in his first season, before Salah arrived.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Doesn’t Salah play on the right for them? I think Mane did play well there for them in his first season, before Salah arrived.
Yes that's my point, Mane plays on the left and is right footed. While Salah plays on the right and is left footed.

Dazzmondo

Top teams don't use these type of wingers anymore. The role/position is basically becoming obsolete.

The Oracle

I think we underutilize the aerial abilities of Ronaldo and Cavani, in that we're providing little service to them with crosses for them to score headers.

Having a left-footed left winger whipping in crosses from the left flank, as opposed to a right-footed player cutting back inside to cross it in from the left side, would simply add another dimension to our attack, that we don't have at the moment; and in my opinion would create a better balance on the pitch.

The reason I think inverted wide players work for Liverpool, is because of Robertson's and Alexander-Arnold's crossing ability, and their assist stats that back it up. Compare them to United, and Shaw provides crosses at times, but Wan-Bissaka's crossing ability is seriously lacking, and his first preference is to pass back to someone else when he's in an advanced position; as opposed to wanting to cross the ball into the box.

The Oracle

Top teams don't use these type of wingers anymore. The role/position is basically becoming obsolete.
That is the case for sure.

We turned back the clock in getting Ronaldo, so could we turn back the clock and get the type of winger that will deliver crosses from the by-line on the flanks?

Ronaldo and Cavani would surely be in favour of it given their heading abilities.