Legendary commentator John Motson to retire from his job at BBC to find another job

Tom Foster

I always thought John Motson represented the kind of football fans who supported teams like QPR, Crystal Palace, Tooting & Mitchum and a few other bohemian clubs.

You can imagine him turning up in a 1950s sports car at the ground.

When he was commentating on regular clubs in the 70s and 80s, he always sounded false, and a little bit jolly-choppy.

And who can forget his Liverpool 80s love-in.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
If Baddiel & Bloody Skinner hadn't re-branded him as 'loveable Motty', he'd have retired about 550 years ago...just like Vlad Tepes.

Judas

Open to offers
His commentary has been appalling for at least 10 years, it was about time he gave it up. Terribly grating and annoying to listen to.

I never listen to talksport so thankfully won't have to hear him.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Did anyone watch that recent documentary about him? Sounds like he was a bit of a diva at times. One of the stories was how he demanded that the producers do something about the sun in the sky :lol:.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Am I the only one that will miss him? He was the voice of BBC footy for me. Grew up watching MOTD hosted by Des and commentated by Motty. I suppose we need to embrace generic blandness now

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Am I the only one that will miss him? He was the voice of BBC footy for me. Grew up watching MOTD hosted by Des and commentated by Motty. I suppose we need to embrace generic blandness now
Unless he was reading endless stats from a crib sheet he showed very little knowledge of the game.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Not really. It just used to irritate me, because if Motson had the lead match then Barry Davies didn't.

Generic blandness would be an improvement on a lot of the hyper-excitable, got to fill every second of the soundtrack, mob who do the commentary now. But then I don't like the co-commentators either, so I'm probably better off turning off the sound.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Unless he was reading endless stats from a crib sheet he showed very little knowledge of the game.
Mmmeehh im not a huge fan of know it all commentators spouting endless guff. Just tell me about the game I’m watching. The others are akin to those boring deckers on here who write pages about tactics

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Mmmeehh im not a huge fan of know it all commentators spouting endless guff. Just tell me about the game I’m watching. The others are akin to those boring deckers on here who write pages about tactics
Thats what Motty did though. I didn't really want to hear about how a players Nan was a grade 8 pianist, but he told us anyway. He prepared a sheet of paper full of stats and read from it throughout the game.

Last edited: