Legends and their best ever performance

luke511

Name a legendary footballer and what you think was their best ever game of football, a very subjective topic of course.

I'll start with Zidane vs Brazil 2006, his 1998 world cup final performance is a very close second but this one felt more effortless compared to the final.

0le

I think any game where the opposition fan applauds you must be in with a shout, e.g. Ronaldo hat-trick vs United in CL.

paulscholes18

Eusebio - Vs North Korea 3-0 down Eusebio scored 4 in a 5-3 win.

For some reason my bar is all greyed out so I can post videos

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Name a legendary footballer and what you think was their best ever game of football, a very subjective topic of course.

I'll start with Zidane vs Brazil 2006, his 1998 world cup final performance is a very close second but this one felt more effortless compared to the final.

That zizou performance in 06 was great. So good even the commentators were begging him not to retire.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
C. Ronaldo has had many great performances but that hattrick against Sweden was perhaps my favorite, and one that deserves the word 'ruthless'.

He got like three 1v1 chances in an important WC qualifying away game and he made the finishing look so easy.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
That Dynamo team were something... but christ does Vitor Baia look like an absolute clown in that game :lol:

Wouldn't have been surprised if he was fecked off back to Portugal based on that alone.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Cracking selection there @Invictus.

That Dynamo team were something... but christ does Vitor Baia look like an absolute clown in that game :lol:

Wouldn't have been surprised if he was fecked off back to Portugal based on that alone.
Aye, you get this really big disconnect between how Baia is rated amongst many Portuguese (highly) compared to those who only saw him at Euro '96 and for Barcelona (poorly).

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Cracking selection there @Invictus.
Aye, you get this really big disconnect between how Baia is rated amongst many Portuguese (highly) compared to those who only saw him at Euro '96 and for Barcelona (poorly).
He is mainly highly rated by Porto fans, he's a legend there and they conveniently ignore his major flaws.

He wasn't a bad keeper: a very good shot stopper and he was actually very effective in 1-on-1 and sweeping behind the defense, but was bellow average doing everything else, pretty much a trademark in Portuguese goalkeepers with the exception of Ricardo who was a good shot stopper and actually played very well with his feer (he was a striker until u16 :D).

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Yeah, if I think of any from C.Ronaldo in a long list of spectacular performances, it's the one v Sweden. Won that game on his own. Think even Howard Webb said it';s the only time he has been in awe of a player during a game he was refereeing.

Messi v Arsenal 2010 is a great one I remember.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Paulo Futre performances against Real Madrid (the famous Butra Real Madrid): he was unplayable.

montpelier

Gerrard - the West Ham Cup Final

Or when he fell over, obviously.

Beckham - Greece

Lee Sharpe - hat trick at Arsenal

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's hard to pick between the two.

In the 5:0 Xavi had "only" scored a goal, but this was probably the most dominant midfield performance of all-time and individually he was the main man in that midfield. I still remember Cristiano running inside a triangle of Xavi/Iniesta & someone else, trying to get the ball, and them just casually passing it around him.

He wasn't as insanely dominant in actually controlling the game, but in terms of his direct creative passing he was on another level that night. I have to say, Xavi-Iniesta-Busquets were better, but I miss that Xavi-Iniesta-Toure unit more. And a strong answer for those who accuse Xavi of being a boring side-ways passer. 4 assists against Real Madrid!

Denis' cuff

Bobby Charlton - 1966 semi
George vs Benfica was March ‘66 on my birthday

Bobby vs Portugal WC 66?
His influence on that WC win is ridiculously overlooked because of Martin “the ghost” Peters and his mates

Denis the King vs Spurs 1964 at OT. (even Paddy scored two) Two goals and about 3 disallowed for offside. Wrongly, of course. He was far too quick for the Lino. Probably his best season. EFOTY. Always seemed to flourish against them. That unforgettable overhead kick that was disallowed (offside again) was also vs Spurs.

thepolice123

Don't know if anyone remembers this magician.

One of the sickest through pass you will ever see. Pure class.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Bobby vs Portugal WC 66?
His influence on that WC win is ridiculously overlooked because of Martin “the ghost” Peters and his mates
That was an amazing performance by him. This video should have 100k views, not 10k! What's the deal with Peters and his mates by the way?

Denis' cuff

That was an amazing performance by him. This video should have 100k views, not 10k! What's the deal with Peters and his mates by the way?

Enjoyed that. His goal vs Mexico in the same WC was his best, probably.

just the West Ham trio, mate. It’s gone down in history that they won the trophy.

Last edited:

Trezeguet17

Lahm vs Chelsea in the CL final.
Most dominant perfomance of a right back i've ever seen.
Shame Chelsea had all the luck that day...

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Phil Neville vs Viera and Arsenal. Mountain of a performance

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Matthäus against Yugoslavia at the WC 1990.

United58

Vidic/Ferdinand

Ronaldinho

De Gea

From the comments "Lukaku's only shot on target was saved by De Gea" :lol:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The Thuram one always stood out to me for three reasons. First, I'm French so I will never forget it nor anyone who was alive at that time should. Second, he had never scored before or since that game and he is one of the all-time leaders in caps for France. And third, while I'm not religious, I love the fact that he does the sign of the cross (which you can see in the clip linked) before he goes for a left-footed bending shot that helps send France to its first world cup final. His celebration of just kneeling down and pondering what the hell just happened is one of the iconic images of French football forever.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Gerrard - the West Ham Cup Final

Or when he fell over, obviously.

Beckham - Greece

Lee Sharpe - hat trick at Arsenal
Came on to say Beckham v Greece.

its not the most obvious of games but I remember watching it with my wife and thinking "he is single handedly dragging this team to a result". The rest of the England team were shite that day... some very good players too.

chomsky89

I am surprised Ronaldo vs Sweden is supposed to be a contender for Ronaldo's best ever game. I don't think it is among Ronaldo's 2.best performances. Obviously a good performance, but there are such big defensive errors involved in the goals. I saw the match And he didn't even get MOM, on the channel because of what Ibra was able to do in a much weaker team in that game.