Let's all laugh at England

Foxbatt

To be fair it's normally just the @TheReligion who takes these threads personally.

Most England fans are fine. They were really good yesterday so shouldn't be too down about it, missing a penalty can happen to any team.
Yes it happens to England a lot though. Penalties and England have a common theme. But I am really happy England is out.

Josep Dowling

Almost as bad as the envelopes.
If you had seen his interview, Rice explained he bought an extra suitcase because they get given loads of free stuff. Do you really think they would put the World Cup in a suitcase had England won?

Red00012

Let me put it this way:
If I had a liking for Porto or Benfica and Portugal were knocked out of a tournament would it seem strange for me to start or contribute to a thread titled "Let's all laugh at Portugal" on their respective sites?
There’s a load of let’s laugh at “ team / player /club “ but when it’s England people get salty :lol: England lost move on and take a bit of banter

TheReligion

Abusive
To be fair it's normally just the @TheReligion who takes these threads personally.

Most England fans are fine. They were really good yesterday so shouldn't be too down about it, missing a penalty can happen to any team.
I just don’t like the lazy, thick, stereotyping that often comes with the abuse. Don’t really think that’s ‘on’ as such.

I mean the vast majority is banter and quite amusing but there’s a group of posters who have a hatred for the English and like to spout some unpleasant stuff.

Anyway I think most feel exactly as you suggested at the end. It’s just one of those things and this batch will come again. Bright future.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
This is the fantastic thing about my position. I am English and happy enough when the national team do well. But it pisses off ALL the right people when we lose. So I win either way.

Pickle85

There's a nation, whose fans persistently sing about the world wars and whose coach talked about some spirit of "people trying to invade us" . I can't remember which though. Maybe you can help me out?
There are classless morons from all nations but im not sure I've seen this type of rhetoric on this forum or in this thread, which is, of course, what we're talking about. Maybe you could help out there?

The Hilton

To be fair the laughing has been pretty good natured this year, it actually feels like friendly banter - in 2018 & 2020 there were a bunch of posters that had to deliberately misinterpret the "It's coming home" song (and that it was sung because England were rubbish) in order to justify their rabid hatred.

Anyway, England play in white like Spurs, the captain is a Spurs captain, so nobody can be all that surprised when we bottle it Spurs style.

Smacky The Frog

Usually love a good laugh at Gareth Souhgate's England, but the laughter felt a little empty last night, was more of a forced chuckle really. Thought they showed more against France (who looked like the Southgate team) than they did in all of that incredibly overrated Euros run, and I actually feel for Kane. That penalty should've been hilarious, but I don't know, just felt sad and unfortunate.

Some of the overly indignant opinions in this thread and the knowledge that Sam Matterface and Lee Dixon's week has been ruined has helped bring some of the laughter back though, thanks. We go again.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
There are classless morons from all nations but im not sure I've seen this type of rhetoric on this forum or in this thread, which is, of course, what we're talking about. Maybe you could help out there?
There have been plenty of examples in the past, you don't have to look further than this thread's predecessors. Maybe we haven't gotten to the "this is racism against the English, you Irish/Scottish would be savages without the English" stage in this one yet, but why does it matter? The players we're laughing about aren't part of the forum either, not every post needs to be entirely based on something that was written on this very forum a few minutes earlier.

Foxbatt

This is the fantastic thing about my position. I am English and happy enough when the national team do well. But it pisses off ALL the right people when we lose. So I win either way.
That's the way it should be. It's funny for the English fans to be upset when non English but United fans are happy that England is out. Being United fans and fans of England football team is not mutual.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
I wonder why our 'arry (the lion of Ingerland) isn't getting the abuse that Jadon, Marcus and Bukayo received after the Euros?
It surely couldn't have anything to do with skin colour could it? Hmmm.

Not that Kane or anyone else should receive any abuse for losing a game of football of course.

Even as an Englishman I find it a little funny when England go out, nothing to do with the current players who seem a decent lot but because of the press, media and a certain section of England supporters, especially the type who turn up in a muslim country dressed as a fecking crusader ffs.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah I’ve never seen that kind of stuff here. If German posters were repeatedly abused about the war and Nazis on the Caf those responsible would get banned.

Pickle85

There have been plenty of examples in the past, you don't have to look further than this thread's predecessors. Maybe we haven't gotten to the "this is racism against the English, you Irish/Scottish would be savages without the English" stage in this one yet, but why does it matter? The players we're laughing about aren't part of the forum either, not every post needs to be entirely based on something that was written on this very forum a few minutes earlier.
I'm well aware of this, but your rationale for justifying some of the random, non footy related jibes about what is undoubtedly a shameful imperial past was that 'English people in other places have been xenophobic bellends before too', which is just silly. Again, would it be cool for me to reference nazism in a let's laugh about Germany thread simply because I'd seen Germans acting the twat elsewhere? I think that often the 'banter' tips over into unrelated xenophobia and just allows posters like you either to air xenophobic views or just troll with impunity. It's a weird way to get your kicks.

Pickle85

Yeah I’ve never seen that kind of stuff here. If German posters were repeatedly abused about the war and Nazis on the Caf those responsible would get banned.
Definitely and rightly so. It just seems like some posters have double standards and then accuse others of sense of humor failures when this is pointed out.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm well aware of this, but your rationale for justifying some of the random, non footy related jibes about what is undoubtedly a shameful imperial past was that 'English people in other places have been xenophobic bellends before too', which is just silly. Again, would it be cool for me to reference nazism in a let's laugh about Germany thread simply because I'd seen Germans acting the twat elsewhere? I think that often the 'banter' tips over into unrelated xenophobia and just allows posters like you either to air xenophobic views or just troll with impunity. It's a weird way to get your kicks.
Isn’t his point that a small minority of England fans (in general, obviously not on here) have an established reputation for being xenophobic bell ends? Much more so than fans of other countries. Hence England losing tends to please neutrals because it pisses off those fans.

TheReligion

Abusive
Definitely and rightly so. It just seems like some posters have double standards and then accuse others of sense of humor failures when this is pointed out.
Yes that is correct but it has always been that way I suppose.

Blaming everyone who is English for what their ancestors did, and using that as a vehicle to justify being abusive, is acceptable but in truth if the same was done to other nationalities there would be quite a different approach taken.

TheReligion

Abusive
Isn’t his point that a small minority of England fans (in general, obviously not on here) have an established reputation for being xenophobic bell ends? Much more so than fans of other countries. Hence England losing tends to please neutrals because it pisses off those fans.
Personally I think anyone who hates/dislikes an entire nation of people based on something like that needs to look at themselves more than anything else.

Understand your point though.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If they had an approval rating of 59% to 19% and Germany left the EU over nostalgia and false entitlement derived from it, I'd actually welcome the mockery.

Pickle85

I totally get that and can absolutely understand the enjoyment in seeing us fail (yet again!) from an outsider perspective. Hell, at this point its a joke to many of us as well. My point is more that when that spills over into generalizing national characteristics in a manner intended to offend, or banging on about imperialism, it drains the fun rather and becomes a bit nasty.

Pickle85

If they had an approval rating of 59% to 19% and Germany left the EU over nostalgia and false entitlement derived from it, I'd actually welcome the mockery.
So, wait, it's now about Brexit?! Your trolling just gets more and more obvious.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It’s weird that I have to say this after every tournament, but 99.9% of Irish people don’t hate English people. We all have lots of English friends, we visit English cities a lot, loads of us have probably lived there at one point. And we don’t go around with a chip on our shoulder judging you for what your country did. Well, apart from Brexiteers

We also consume a lot of English media by virtue of you being our “big neighbour” and as a result, it’s just fecking hilarious whenever you lose to see that media (and social media) completely lose their shit again, and also, that media would be completely unbearable (like it was for the queen’s death) if you did win. It’s also just a really good laugh to have a team to paint as the one you want to root against.

I feel sorry for the England team, though, they probably should’ve won.

Zetrio2002

There's nothing to laugh at. England was supposed to lose to France. No surprise.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Usually love a good laugh at Gareth Souhgate's England, but the laughter felt a little empty last night, was more of a forced chuckle really. Thought they showed more against France (who looked like the Southgate team) than they did in all of that incredibly overrated Euros run, and I actually feel for Kane. That penalty should've been hilarious, but I don't know, just felt sad and unfortunate.

Some of the overly indignant opinions in this thread and the knowledge that Sam Matterface and Lee Dixon's week has been ruined has helped bring some of the laughter back though, thanks. We go again.
It would definitely have been more fun if they'd beaten France then lost to Morocco.

Pickle85

It’s weird that I have to say this after every tournament, but 99.9% of Irish people don’t hate English people. We all have lots of English friends, we visit English cities a lot, loads of us have probably lived there at one point. And we don’t go around with a chip on our shoulder judging you for what your country did. Well, apart from Brexiteers

We also consume a lot of English media by virtue of you being our “big neighbour” and as a result, it’s just fecking hilarious whenever you lose to see that media (and social media) completely lose their shit again, and also, that media would be completely unbearable (like it was for the queen’s death) if you did win. It’s also just a really good laugh to have a team to paint as the one you want to root against.

I feel sorry for the England team, though, they probably should’ve won.
Can absolutely see this and agree with you...to me, this is what the spirit of a thread like this is about.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
England - Imperialism, bad teeth, sunburn, stale beer, ugly women, bad at penalties
France - Frogs
US - Arrogant
Aus - Prisoners
Germany - Nazis
Italy - Fascists
SA - Racists

Tiresome cliches
Tiresome, but true!

On a serious note, I kind of wanted England to win yesterday. I'd love to see Argentina winning the tourney so I felt like England was the only one left that could prevent France from winning it all. Them winning would be booooring, especially after such an entertaining tournament so far.

Pickle85

Tiresome, but true!

On a serious note, I kind of wanted England to win yesterday. I'd love to see Argentina winning the tourney so I felt like England was the only one left that could prevent France from winning it all. Them winning would be booooring, especially after such an entertaining tournament so far.
You missed sexually repressed but that's a solid list otherwise!

RopersReturn

France were winning this game because they are used to winning 50/50 games. So are Croatia for that matter. England are edging closer but are not there yet.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
You'd think England fans would relish the "no one likes us, we don't care" status. I suppose it's hard to adopt a siege mentality when you're more used to doing the invading.

PoTMS

France were winning this game because they are used to winning 50/50 games. So are Croatia for that matter. England are edging closer but are not there yet.
We don't ever win competitive 50/50 games. Only one I can remember in the last 20 years is Germany.