Let's focus on coaching first

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The likelihood of signing players that would improve us significantly I estimate as pretty low in current climate. The problem is, the way we play football we make it very difficult for individuals to shine.

It worries me this team doesn't seem to progress as a whole. It's not like we're having some new players, surely at this point we should see some cohesion and well-worked patterns of play? Instead what we are served every week is slow passing, always to the feet and using fullbacks as playmakers. This is especially visible against teams that sit deep, you really have to move the ball much quicker to make space for killer pass or a shot.

It's probably less visible against teams that leave a lot of space behind because we really do have dangerous attackers who can do damage in those circumstances. However, it those games we always struggle to get the ball forward under intense pressing, which is also a coaching issue.

We seem to have the simplest game plan against teams sitting deep - relying on individual brilliance only gets you this far. At the same time, I'd argue this team can achieve much more even with current personnel.

This is not a dig directly at Ole, I think he's been doing really good job managing the squad so far. However, he has the whole coaching team at his disposal so there are some big questions about the their work.

Are there really signs of improvement in terms of coaching? It seems to be the easiest factor to improve for United.

Foxbatt

The likelihood of signing players that would improve us significantly I estimate as pretty low in current climate. The problem is, the way we play football we make it very difficult for individuals to shine.

It worries me this team doesn't seem to progress as a whole. It's not like we're having some new players, surely at this point we should see some cohesion and well-worked patterns of play? Instead what we are served every week is slow passing, always to the feet and using fullbacks as playmakers. This is especially visible against teams that sit deep, you really have to move the ball much quicker to make space for killer pass or a shot.

It's probably less visible against teams that leave a lot of space behind because we really do have dangerous attackers who can do damage in those circumstances. However, it those games we always struggle to get the ball forward under intense pressing, which is also a coaching issue.

We seem to have the simplest game plan against teams sitting deep - relying on individual brilliance only gets you this far. At the same time, I'd argue this team can achieve much more even with current personnel.

This is not a dig directly at Ole, I think he's been doing really good job managing the squad so far. However, he has the whole coaching team at his disposal so there are some big questions about the their work.

Are there really signs of improvement in terms of coaching? It seems to be the easiest factor to improve for United.

We or the press talk about pressing. But there is a science to it. It comes down to space and time. Each player has to be in the right space at the right time. Players need to use their brains. Our players do not know anything about it the way the run or job about the pitch. I do not think Ole or the coaching staff understand it either. when our players get the ball and then there stop with the ball and the opposing defenders get into position and our other players do not know what to do. It seems that the player in possession decides what to do with it. But in reality it is the player receiving it who decides where and when to receive it.
Ole needs to think out side of the box when we are under the cosh. `he doesn't do those things. Sheffield was pushed back and we had Cavani and then put Maguire up front and put in crosses and they would struggle with it. Yes the crosses need to come quicker. We need to change the play depending on the circumstance. It is stupid to do down flying the flag when 1-3 is no worse than a 1-2.

Theonas

Scout

There has a been lot of improvement in the speed and precision of our transition, team spirit and the belief in this team, they play with more confidence and character and can generate some very strong momentum. A lot of that credit has to go to Ole and I have to admit, I doubted he can instill those qualities. Our quality in possession higher up the pitch against numbers has not improved at all however and I am afraid it never will under Ole and his coaching setup. Because you are right, it is a coaching issue, it is in fact the hardest thing to implement by a coach which is why the ones who can implement it get paid the most money and are the most sought after in the business. OGS has really shown some very good qualities in his management with the way he is slowly shaping the squad and getting good performances from a lot of players. He has also shown some very good signs with his tactical setup for specific games. He managed to set up very well against several top teams in his time with us. His coaching ability however has always been in doubt and he has done nothing to show otherwise in that department.

We can still win the league without being particularly good at that like Leicester or Chelsea did recently. This is because winning the league simply means you are better/less bad than the other 19 teams. But I don't know a single top, top team the past decade who had that clear flaw.

Eddy_JukeZ

There has a been lot of improvement in the speed and precision of our transition, team spirit and the belief in this team, they play with more confidence and character and can generate some very strong momentum. Our quality in possession higher up the pitch against numbers has not improved at all however and I am afraid it never will under the current coaching setup. Because you are right, it is a coaching issue, it is in fact the hardest thing to implement by a coach which is why the ones who can implement it get paid the most money and are the most sought after in the business.

We can still win the league without being particularly good at that like Leicester or Chelsea did recently. This is because winning the league simply means you are better/less bad than the other 19 teams. But I don't know a single top, top team the past decade who had that clear flaw.
Pretty much.

Look at the CL winners the past decade

2011: Barcelona - Best possession team ever
2012: Chelsea - Fluke win
2013: Bayern - Amazing in possession higher up the field
2014: Real Madrid - Good(not amongst the best) in possession higher up the field, but entire XI is world class and they have the best CL goal-scorer ever
2015: Barcelona - Amazing in possession higher up the field
2016-2018: Real Madrid - Same as in 2014
2019: Liverpool - Great in possession higher up the field
2020: Bayern - Amazing in possession higher up the field

It's essentially a necessity to be a truly top team. That has always been my biggest doubt with Ole. I worry he's a bit too direct/gung-ho and ignores positional principles.

Theonas

Scout
Pretty much.

Look at the CL winners the past decade

2011: Barcelona - Best possession team ever
2012: Chelsea - Fluke win
2013: Bayern - Amazing in possession higher up the field
2014: Real Madrid - Good(not amongst the best) in possession higher up the field, but entire XI is world class and they have the best CL goal-scorer ever
2015: Barcelona - Amazing in possession higher up the field
2016-2018: Real Madrid - Same as in 2014
2019: Liverpool - Great in possession higher up the field
2020: Bayern - Amazing in possession higher up the field

It's essentially a necessity to be a truly top team. That has always been my biggest doubt with Ole. I worry he's a bit too direct/gung-ho and ignores positional principles.
I agree. I don't understand it when pundits and fans talk about being good enough to win the league. The league has been won plenty of times by teams that are not a top team. There is a big difference between being a top team and a team that wins a league title and sure the target for clubs our size is to be the former.

I am not sure it's a question of him ignoring those principles. I really just think it's the hardest thing to coach. I mean if it wasn't, why is Guardiola viewed so highly? I don't think he is particularly a brilliant motivator or someone who can get his players to die for him the way Mourinho at his very best could. I don't think he is amazing at his in-game tactics or at devising a set up for a specific game like Mourinho, Benitez, Allegri and some others. It is for me, because he can get a team to be very comfortable and mobile with possession in the opponent's half which is viewed by the people in football as the hardest thing to implement for a coach. It is not enough to win everything but when married with other qualities like his best teams had, it has the highest peak. As long as those other qualities are lacking, it will open the door for other teams to capitalize.

SAFMUTD

I think we have improved a lot in results which is the best way to measure progress to be fair. But on our play style I actually think we have regressed.

The best we've played under Ole was after the covid break when we scored for fun and blew teams away. Since then we have not been able to replicate it.

Yes we are second on the table, but we struggle to get results every time. I can not remember a single game besides Leeds that I have felt we had under complete control and sure that we'll win. Even against the lesser teams we struggle.

We outscored Newcastle 4-1 but we scored the 2-1 at the 85th minute so the result doesn't show how hard we struggle to get the 3 points. Against Everton we won 3-1 but scored the third goal on the 90+ minute on a counter, still before that it was a tight game. We beat westbrom at home just 1-0.

In addition I think we can all agree we've been really lucky to get some of the results like Brighton which they should have won after failing like 3 big chances and conceding a penalty on the 97 minute. Or like against Southampton where we won by scoring in the 93 minute after a huge come back. Also against wolves at the 94 minute after a deviated shot from Rashford and against Burnley and Fulham with two amazing goals from Pogba.

Those kind of lucky/brilliance moments won't repeat very often. Its only natural that if we keep playing the way we have we will start dropping points. I think we have more points that we deserve and if we don't improve it will eventually catch up to us.

We still have the same old problems, we allow a bunch of goals on set pieces, we start the games slowly, we struggle to create big chances, performing wise I don't think we have improved much. We've been saved by worldclass performances from Bruno and Pogba but they won't sustain them, sooner or later they will fell short and without a proper system implemented we'll struggle big time.

Bottom line I think we need a better coach, even if results show we are top 2 we are not the second best team in the league. We don't dominate teams and our offense depends a lot on individual brilliance more than attacking patterns. Not saying we should sack Ole right now but we should be looking to improve on him in the summer.

No disrespect to Ole, he has shown great man management, but he's simply not up to the level that we require to beat City and Liverpool for the league. If we persist with this there's simply no chance we will get 90+ points in a season which is what is required nowadays to win win it.

hungrywing

At this point, it's actually kind of weird. It's like they're deliberately not going to try and adapt some of Pep's ideas out of spite.

It's not like you need to use them all the time if you don't want to. Just use them against the low-block/eleven men behind the ball teams. Then play the 'individual brilliance swashbuckling style' against everyone else.

mikel

This game right here is why people keep questioning the manager. They were completely unprepared. It happens too often and they rely too much on pure talent advantage against the bottom 1/2 of the table. OGS has done a lot of good work and got them from D to C to B. Sadly, I see no reason to think he is the manager to get them from B to A. He had no answers to the questions today and that keeps happening. Good managers do not let their teams play down to the level of lesser opposition.

Reactions: Cheimoon

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We added Darren Fletcher now. I am sure that his immense experience in coaching will allow him to add new ideas that the likes of Carrick and Mckenna has never even heard about.

Nicolarra90

I think we have improved a lot in results which is the best way to measure progress to be fair. But on our play style I actually think we have regressed.

The best we've played under Ole was after the covid break when we scored for fun and blew teams away. Since then we have not been able to replicate it.

Yes we are second on the table, but we struggle to get results every time. I can not remember a single game besides Leeds that I have felt we had under complete control and sure that we'll win. Even against the lesser teams we struggle.

We outscored Newcastle 4-1 but we scored the 2-1 at the 85th minute so the result doesn't show how hard we struggle to get the 3 points. Against Everton we won 3-1 but scored the third goal on the 90+ minute on a counter, still before that it was a tight game. We beat westbrom at home just 1-0.

In addition I think we can all agree we've been really lucky to get some of the results like Brighton which they should have won after failing like 3 big chances and conceding a penalty on the 97 minute. Or like against Southampton where we won by scoring in the 93 minute after a huge come back. Also against wolves at the 94 minute after a deviated shot from Rashford and against Burnley and Fulham with two amazing goals from Pogba.

Those kind of lucky/brilliance moments won't repeat very often. Its only natural that if we keep playing the way we have we will start dropping points. I think we have more points that we deserve and if we don't improve it will eventually catch up to us.

We still have the same old problems, we allow a bunch of goals on set pieces, we start the games slowly, we struggle to create big chances, performing wise I don't think we have improved much. We've been saved by worldclass performances from Bruno and Pogba but they won't sustain them, sooner or later they will fell short and without a proper system implemented we'll struggle big time.

Bottom line I think we need a better coach, even if results show we are top 2 we are not the second best team in the league. We don't dominate teams and our offense depends a lot on individual brilliance more than attacking patterns. Not saying we should sack Ole right now but we should be looking to improve on him in the summer.

No disrespect to Ole, he has shown great man management, but he's simply not up to the level that we require to beat City and Liverpool for the league. If we persist with this there's simply no chance we will get 90+ points in a season which is what is required nowadays to win win it.
Yes it's true we probably have more points than we actually deserve, especially the wolves points, but anyway we are showing progress specially since 2020 onwards.

Liverpool lost to burnley at home, and every team is droping points everywhere. We are assuming city are going to begin a mad win streak but they could also start droping points as they were a few months back.

We have to wait until the end of this season to start evaluating Ole's work.

And for the bolded part, that shouldn't happen again, since that's a symptom of a bad and uncompetitive league. A healthy league should have the champion between 80-89 points or one team reaching low 90s, but 2 teams close to 100 is just a bad reflection on the rest.

Josep Dowling

Ultimately this why Ole won’t win us the title. We are near the top of the league but can you seriously say the football is better now? Every single game it feels like we grind out a result. It’s rarely a comfortable win. It feels like Fergie’s final season, without the deadly centre forward to win us games. So many games we start with slow, sloppy passing until we get woken up by conceding a goal.

Long term we have to look at dominating the ball like City and Liverpool do. That’s why I want a high press manager and have done for years. Football has moved on with its approach and I feel like we are the only top side in Europe, other than Real, who hasn’t appointed a manager to suit that style.

jackal&hyde

A few days ago we are first in the league, one defeat and we are back to patterns of play, coaching and "is there progress?". Jesus wept.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Of course we should not start any kind of Ole discussions anytime soon but watching our last 10-20 games back I am pretty sure most of us would be underwhelmed.
Ole and his crew did a fantastic job in taking advantage of others struggling and bring us to the top. He deserves our total backing for that.
However, it is obvious that we are far away from playing an attractive brand of football like City or Liverpool can - and Chelsea probably will start to do soon.
I think we have improved in certain areas, but there are still some obvious weaknesses. Especially in the final third against compact defenses we are clueless.
Look at how Chelsea got themselves into a few nice positions yesterday against a packed Wolves side, by utilizing good movements. This is something I am completely missing.

youngrell

You can analyse yesterday’s performance as much as you want but we lost simply because we failed to match SU’s desire.

It reminded me of our opening game against Palace where we were second to everything all over the pitch, but the difference was that was due to conditioning and not attitude like last night.

The team was still feeling itself after Sunday’s win and thought they only had to show up to get the 3 points.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
There are massive signs of improvement ans frankly that’s been shown by the fact we simply haven’t been slipping up regularly against teams we are expected to beat. Goals change games and the two we conceded yesterday came at the wrong time and were really poor. Every team can get caught out once or twice over a season especially those that aren’t the finished article.

The truth is this thread just reflects badly on you considering the form we have showcased this season in dispatching teams who sit deep. The progress has been there for all to see so I don’t quite understand what you are getting at. I also disagree we can’t improve the squad. It was clear last night that the weak links were Matic, Tuanzebe, Telles, Martial - all of which can either be improved by players already in our squad at the moment (Shaw, Fred, Cavani) and equally can be improved further with the right recruitment. Klopp and Pep didn’t build great teams Overnight, they had to recruit the right pieces of the puzzle before it fell into place.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
A few days ago we are first in the league, one defeat and we are back to patterns of play, coaching and "is there progress?". Jesus wept.
It’s kneejerk in the extreme, but these people have had to hold their tongues for ages so it’s not that surprising to see afew climb quickly out of the wood work. This team deserves some support right now, and that’s not a top red attitude!

Womp

idiot
There were quite a few posters, myself included questioning whether or not those wins were sustainable and still questioning our coaching. Fact of the matter is, we were somehow grinding results without looking that impressive for quite some time now, relying on individual brilliance etc.

I was happy to somewhat overlook it when the results were coming, purely because there is no point ruining my mood when wins are something to be celebrated but if our luck and individual brilliance isn't getting us out of our hole as consistently anymore, then that's worrying

I'm not sure about some of the people on here, but I just have a hard time accepting the fact that teams like Leicester and Southampton etc. Are better coached than us from an offensive standpoint despite not having nearly the same resources. Why that is acceptable to others, I'm not sure

Polar

The problem is, the way we play football we make it very difficult for individuals to shine.

It worries me this team doesn't seem to progress as a whole.
I’m glad you finally got your opportunity to criticise and being to negative again :D You have some valid points, but you exaggerate a lot.

You blame the system and say it’s difficult for individuals to shine.

Right now I se quite the opposite. Rash and Marty who is allowed to express themselves are way out of form. They try flicking tricking all the time instead of shooting from distance, like Pogba and Bruno try more often.

My second point is that we never see Greenwood or AWB challenging defenders one against one on our right side; creating unbalance. Have you seen them use speed or dribbled the left back even though they had plenty of opportunities (facilitated by the system)? Instead they have played a safe pass back or sideways. In this particular case it’s more about lack of individual brilliance than problems with our system.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It’s kneejerk in the extreme, but these people have had to hold their tongues for ages so it’s not that surprising to see afew climb quickly out of the wood work. This team deserves some support right now, and that’s not a top red attitude!
It’s not knee jerk when you consider that the performance level of the side has consistently been patchy. The results have not been in line with the underlying signals. Put simply, we have over performed in terms of points total.

A major concern for me is that United have worn the whole coming from behind thing as a badge of honour. I don’t see any major desire to change though, because we consistently start games in a languid, half arsed fashion.

We got what we deserved yesterday, and were thoroughly bested by Wilder, whose team were totally deserved winners. That’s majorly worrying when you look at where they are in the table.

RashfordisRed

Something I have noted for little while is some clear incohesion in our attacking play. We rarely see players making moves, or sprints to open space for others. I appreciate teams do set up in a low block and so space is restricted, but if you take a look often we will end up with one of the CM's, the full back and the winger in a tight triangle out wide with 3/4 players defending them - it needs one of those to make a break through the lines to at least occupy a defender and open up space to pass or dribble with some reasonable chance of success.

Instead what tends to happen is the ball is recycled back into the centre of the park and to the other side and repeat.

We have looked most at threat this season in these sort of games when AWB & Shaw break the lines and either receive the ball or leave space for our more technical players to work in but there are some games where that just is not happening with yesterday a case in point.

I can't see Donny getting much of a go in the centre of the park with the personel we have currently, however I do think we could use him out wide especially in a game like yesterdays as he does have a tendency of running in beyond the back line and making space - considering Martial's form it may give us something different to work with.

RashyForPM

Not going to talk about coaching unless results really turn to shit, but all I’ll say is that last night’s result was coming. We played 4 mid table to relegation battling teams before this and won every game by a single goal. That’s not sustainable; we can’t eke out wins in every game. There’s a reason no one has ever won a league with a +18 goal difference or something around that ballpark.

Our 2012-13 side was a Champion team, just like unfortunately, the City team who will win this league. Yes, we did eke out wins, like the 4-3 against Newcastle and 0-1 against Sunderland. However, you do also have to play well in 80% of the games and win by good margins, like the Norwich 4-0, Stoke 4-2 etc. Even Leicester handed out some smashings when they won their title, like they’re doing this season as well.

If the blueprint to win the league is to squeak 1-0 victories every game, then guess what, we won’t win the league. That’s not even a sustainable way to make top 4.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
There has a been lot of improvement in the speed and precision of our transition, team spirit and the belief in this team, they play with more confidence and character and can generate some very strong momentum. A lot of that credit has to go to Ole and I have to admit, I doubted he can instill those qualities. Our quality in possession higher up the pitch against numbers has not improved at all however and I am afraid it never will under Ole and his coaching setup. Because you are right, it is a coaching issue, it is in fact the hardest thing to implement by a coach which is why the ones who can implement it get paid the most money and are the most sought after in the business. OGS has really shown some very good qualities in his management with the way he is slowly shaping the squad and getting good performances from a lot of players. He has also shown some very good signs with his tactical setup for specific games. He managed to set up very well against several top teams in his time with us. His coaching ability however has always been in doubt and he has done nothing to show otherwise in that department.

Agreed 100%, especially with the bolded part. I do think Ole is a good manager, I understand why he does such personnel-choices but I see no improvement in terms how we move the ball high up the pitch. This is probably the reason why we tend to be so direct by the way.

The difference however against games like against Newcastle, West Brom and Southampton was that we had loads of clear cut chances and simply couldn't score (xG of over 2 in all those examples). Yesterday we've been losing for over an hour and we still couldn't create any clear chances (this happened against Istanbul first leg as well, so I don't see much improvement). There are a few important factors (Bruno form, Pogba-Matic midfield instead of Fred-McTominay etc), but one thing is clear - we do not seem to have a clear gameplan how to move the ball to create dangerous situations as a team.

Such a lazy comment, does the OP seem like an emotional reaction to you?

There are massive signs of improvement ans frankly that’s been shown by the fact we simply haven’t been slipping up regularly against teams we are expected to beat. Goals change games and the two we conceded yesterday came at the wrong time and were really poor. Every team can get caught out once or twice over a season especially those that aren’t the finished article.

The truth is this thread just reflects badly on you considering the form we have showcased this season in dispatching teams who sit deep. The progress has been there for all to see so I don’t quite understand what you are getting at. I also disagree we can’t improve the squad. It was clear last night that the weak links were Matic, Tuanzebe, Telles, Martial - all of which can either be improved by players already in our squad at the moment (Shaw, Fred, Cavani) and equally can be improved further with the right recruitment. Klopp and Pep didn’t build great teams Overnight, they had to recruit the right pieces of the puzzle before it fell into place.
I don't care about the conceded goals. You can call it bad luck or whatever. I am very worried about lack of ability to create any clear-chance while losing for over an hour against team sitting bottom of the table. Do you think we've been good recently relying on a bits of luck to get a result?
I've been talking about that for a while anyway. Before Sheffield game, we've won 7/9 games with one goal difference. If you consider only EPL games with available xG data, 3/6 we were expected to draw. We've been poor for a while, it's great that we kept the momentum going and frankly I think we squeezed everything we could from that period, but let's not pretend like it's an unexptected slip-up.

I am very interested to see those "massive signs of improvement", other than grinding results recently against the odds.
There were quite a few posters, myself included questioning whether or not those wins were sustainable and still questioning our coaching. Fact of the matter is, we were somehow grinding results without looking that impressive for quite some time now, relying on individual brilliance etc.

I was happy to somewhat overlook it when the results were coming, purely because there is no point ruining my mood when wins are something to be celebrated but if our luck and individual brilliance isn't getting us out of our hole as consistently anymore, then that's worrying

I'm not sure about some of the people on here, but I just have a hard time accepting the fact that teams like Leicester and Southampton etc. Are better coached than us from an offensive standpoint despite not having nearly the same resources. Why that is acceptable to others, I'm not sure
Seconded. The bolded part gets me too. Aren't people watching other teams play football? I don't even mention City who look on different planet, but you gave some good examples of Leicester and Southampton. And this is the point - they have decent/good players but the system takes them to another level. We have good players who look like they've never played together before when put against pressing/team sitting deep.

I’m glad you finally got your opportunity to criticise and being to negative again :D You have some valid points, but you exaggerate a lot.

You blame the system and say it’s difficult for individuals to shine.

Right now I se quite the opposite. Rash and Marty who is allowed to express themselves are way out of form. They try flicking tricking all the time instead of shooting from distance, like Pogba and Bruno try more often.

My second point is that we never see Greenwood or AWB challenging defenders one against one on our right side; creating unbalance. Have you seen them use speed or dribbled the left back even though they had plenty of opportunities (facilitated by the system)? Instead they have played a safe pass back or sideways. In this particular case it’s more about lack of individual brilliance than problems with our system.
I disagree completely. Take a close look how Rashford and Martial receive the ball when running away from goal and with two players down their back - this is the issue, we don't create space to isolate fullbacks 1v1 against our attackers. We just give them the ball and hope something happens. It's all out of sync and just random movement.

Another point is - if you have basically all forwards out of form, surely at some point it has to be down to the coaching and manager?
Not going to talk about coaching unless results really turn to shit, but all I’ll say is that last night’s result was coming. We played 4 mid table to relegation battling teams before this and won every game by a single goal. That’s not sustainable; we can’t eke out wins in every game. There’s a reason no one has ever won a league with a +18 goal difference or something around that ballpark.

Our 2012-13 side was a Champion team, just like unfortunately, the City team who will win this league. Yes, we did eke out wins, like the 4-3 against Newcastle and 0-1 against Sunderland. However, you do also have to play well in 80% of the games and win by good margins, like the Norwich 4-0, Stoke 4-2 etc. Even Leicester handed out some smashings when they won their title, like they’re doing this season as well.

If the blueprint to win the league is to squeak 1-0 victories every game, then guess what, we won’t win the league. That’s not even a sustainable way to make top 4.
Not only that, basing on xG we were more likely to draw than to win in 3/6 of last games we've won by 1 goal. Like you said, this was coming.

SAFMUTD

That happens when people are not confident on the performances but kept quiet because the results. As soon as the results stops all the doubts arise.

RashyForPM

Not only that, basing on xG we were more likely to draw than to win in 3/6 of last games we've won by 1 goal. Like you said, this was coming.
Wouldn’t be surprised. If we’re being honest, Villa deserved a point and would have got it if Bailly didn’t make a heroic block, Fulham probably deserved to actually win that game and Burnley would have got a point if Tarkowski hadn’t inexplicably shanked a late shot from 6 yards out and Vydra hadn’t missed 3 very good chances. Ifs buts maybes but the fact that we won all those games by such fine margins should be a cause for concern rather than celebration if we’re to win titles.

For example, City played these teams recently as well and won by an aggregate score of 9-0. That is probably as concerning as the fact that we lost to a really poor team last night.

cyberman

First thing we need to do is not overeact and shit the bed because of 1 loss. We just outplayed Liverpool not a week ago.
Maybe this is a hangover of being 7th etc and genuinely knowing what we were doing wasnt good enough and needing that change but not after last night. Lose once every 13 games and we win every league from now until when that stops

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Liverpool and Leicester are relegation battle teams? We hammered Leicester 6-2 a month ago, beat Liverpool 3-2 the game prior to this. We've scored 37 in the league, more than any other team except for Liverpool who sits equal at 37.

I get being dissapointed, but.. this impressive negativity the moment we fumble is unbecoming.

We haven't scored 5 goals in a game for a month so I get that scoring appears to be a concern. Martial is dragging the team down quite a bit. He's currently sitting at 2 goals and 3 assistsin 14 games. Last season he sat at 17 goals and 6 assits after 31 games.

His lack of production is hurting us, and ultimately costing the team significantly if we cant depend on him scoring with moderate frequency.
Mason Greenwood has 1 goal in 10 games. Last season he netted 10 in 12. I'm dissapointed but he's 19 so I wont give him a hard time about it. Martial however HAS TO DO BETTER if the team is to succeed.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
First thing we need to do is not overeact and shit the bed because of 1 loss.
Yeah this is important. It really was just one match, and while that one match was a train wreck it doesn't mean that all of the other matches suddenly didn't happen. We've actually had a pretty decent January. Very important that we show the right reaction at the weekend.

R'hllor

How the feck league position which depends on RESULTS is related to people expressing their issue with performances on the pitch? Jesus wept idd.

romufc

Yeah this is important. It really was just one match, and while that one match was a train wreck it doesn't mean that all of the other matches suddenly didn't happen. We've actually had a pretty decent January. Very important that we show the right reaction at the weekend.
We have got decent results. We have not played that well. Which game have we looked good on the ball? The moment we start looking better on the ball, thats when this team will be ready for a title.

Its way too many games where our passing is sloppy. Look at the goals we concede, most of them come from a turnover in possession.

Bruno V Leicester
Martial yesterday
Cavani v Liverpool

Its a joke, Rashford, Bruno, Martial cannot keep the ball longer than 5 passes.

RashyForPM

Liverpool and Leicester are relegation battle teams? We hammered Leicester 6-2 a month ago, beat Liverpool 3-2 the game prior to this. We've scored 37 in the league, more than any other team except for Liverpool who sits equal at 37.

I get being dissapointed, but.. this impressive negativity the moment we fumble is unbecoming.

We haven't scored 5 goals in a game for a month so I get that scoring appears to be a concern. Martial is dragging the team down quite a bit. He's currently sitting at 2 goals and 3 assistsin 14 games. Last season he sat at 17 goals and 6 assits after 31 games.

His lack of production is hurting us, and ultimately costing the team significantly if we cant depend on him scoring with moderate frequency.
Mason Greenwood has 1 goal in 10 games. Last season he netted 10 in 12. I'm dissapointed but he's 19 so I wont give him a hard time about it. Martial however HAS TO DO BETTER if the team is to succeed.
I’m talking about the wins ffs. We haven’t played well in our previous 5 wins bar the Pool game, so I’m not wrong when I say a result like last night’s has been coming.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I’m talking about the wins ffs. We haven’t played well in our previous 5 wins bar the Pool game, so I’m not wrong when I say a result like last night’s has been coming.
You wrote "played 4 mid table to relegation teams before this". You have to apologise for the confusion.

You can't pick and choose though. Why don't a win against Liverpool count? We played incredibly well in that game.

cyberman

We have played well, we just havent dominated for 90 minutes which isnt the be all and end all of playing well.
We outplayed Burnley up until the 80th minute ffs. Fulham couldn't get the ball off us from their early goal to the 75th minute.
Meanwhile City are alnost losing to Cheltenham, scoring an obvious offside to beat Villa and having a back and forth, nervey 1 goal win v Brighton.
Nobody s consistently dominating teams and not to the extent you think they should.

Roboc7

No there aren’t big signs of improvement in terms of coaching/style of play but there never will be under Ole, he’s not that type of manager. The coaching and tactics will always be fairly simple and pragmatic.

Like Moyes, LVG and Jose it’s all quite cautious and a lot of fine margins and reliance on individuals in final third. We’re about 8-9 points better off than same stage last season and give or take a few points will probably finish about that better off.

Ole isn’t doing as badly or as well as a lot think, somewhere in between.

hungrywing

At this point, none of the fanbase should have trouble reconciling that A. Ole (and the staff) does very much indeed look tactically a step below, but that B .Ole is a very good man manager.

As posted before, that's Ole's situation. Plus, he's potentially hamstrung by Woodward/Judge and politics, and the Martial/Pogba contracts (and all the other 'bad' contracts). Again, if you overpay people with the wrong mentality - as malignant narcissists such as Woodward and Judge are prone to do - you create extreme organizational stress.

Pointing out A. isn't an attack on Ole. AKA it's not the best idea to come in a thread such as this shouting B. in response to people pointing out A.

Everyone knows B. is true.

SAFMUTD

You wrote "played 4 mid table to relegation teams before this". You have to apologise for the confusion.

You can't pick and choose though. Why don't a win against Liverpool count? We played incredibly well in that game.
We certainly did not, we conceded 2 sloppy goals against a team that while full of quality hadn't scored in their last 4 games. They could have scored another 2 to be honest, one Milner chance and the Firmino chance.

We capitalized in a great pass and finish from Greenwood, a sloppy mistake from their youngster CB which led to the Rashford goal and a excelent free kick from Bruno.

The game could had been won or lost, we didn't dominate them so I would certainly not call that an incredibly well played game.