Let's say INEOS go full fire sale this summer: Who are your untouchables?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I think Shaw's minutes need to be managed a bit better. No rushing him back from injury or playing him constantly until he breaks down which has both happened this season. Last season he apparently only missed 3 games through injury when we could rotate him with Malacia.

I'd think of him as much as a centre half these days. If Martinez isn't playing I'd want him coming in for him to give us similar ball playing ability out, so we're not completely changing our style like this season when Maguire, Evans or Lindelof comes in instead. Also might protect him from injuries with less running. Id therefore sign a top young left back and have Shaw rotating for both him and for Martinez.
Agreed, but we’ve had no other choice to play him when he’s available as he’s the only LB we’ve got. Malacia seems to of disappeared this season. Bad mistake letting Reguilon go back. It’s another position we’re desperate for due to having injury prone players in that position. I think we can say only Bruno is guaranteed to play most games in a season as he rarely gets injured. He’s our most reliable player. That isn’t good for a team that wants to challenge for big trophies.

daba

Surprised to see Shaw making so many lists. Has been a regular fixture for years under various managers. Blows hot and cold too frequently, and picks up too many injuries.

When he's fit and on form he's one of the best left backs in the world. We don't see it often enough though.
I would not be looking to sell him this summer unless we got a big bid (eg. £50m+) which we can invest in a Theo Hernandez but either way long-term he is not the answer as a 1st XI LB due to his reliability. A rotational option at LB and LCB I can see though.

The guys on Stratford Paddock said his average league games per season has been the same as Martials but he doesn’t get nearly half as much grief from fans / the media. Maybe that’s because his performances when he plays are much better, maybe there’s some English bias, who knows.

What we do know is he needs a better and more reliable partner than Malacia.

redmanx

Of the first team players only Martinez, Hojlund, Mainoo and Garnacho are worthy of being considered for next season, the rest are either past their best, have poor attitudes or are simply not good enough, although Bruno deserves another chance next season in a team divested of dross, but not as captain, that position should go to Martinez. Onana is improving and he too deserves another chance playing with defenders who can actually defend.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I would not be looking to sell him this summer unless we got a big bid (eg. £50m+) which we can invest in a Theo Hernandez but either way long-term he is not the answer as a 1st XI LB due to his reliability. A rotational option at LB and LCB I can see though.

The guys on Stratford Paddock said his average league games per season has been the same as Martials but he doesn’t get nearly half as much grief from fans / the media. Maybe that’s because his performances when he plays are much better, maybe there’s some English bias, who knows.

What we do know is he needs a better and more reliable partner than Malacia.
I'm not necessarily advocating selling him, but the topic was who should be considered untouchable.

aeh1991

Surprised to see Shaw making so many lists. Has been a regular fixture for years under various managers. Blows hot and cold too frequently, and picks up too many injuries.

When he's fit and on form he's one of the best left backs in the world. We don't see it often enough though.
It's why I have been so vocal about making a top attacking LB one of our priorities. Luke can still remain as the firsr backup to Licha and the new LB, getting enough play time, while not overusing him or rushing him everytime he gets injured. Malacia unfortunately I can't see making it for us after this long, unfortunate injury. So, I would love to have someone like Theo Hernandez, Fran Garcia or Miguel Gutierrez. But I would definitely keep Shaw.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
If I was in charge I'd be looking at Martinez as Casemiro's replacement and put Shaw in as a CB and find another LB

Cantonagotmehere

Agreed, but we’ve had no other choice to play him when he’s available as he’s the only LB we’ve got. Malacia seems to of disappeared this season. Bad mistake letting Reguilon go back. It’s another position we’re desperate for due to having injury prone players in that position. I think we can say only Bruno is guaranteed to play most games in a season as he rarely gets injured. He’s our most reliable player. That isn’t good for a team that wants to challenge for big trophies.
I don't see how we can rely on Shaw as a starting left back. He is great, but for a team we want to be I'd sell him (if we could get big money) or hopefully he's on a reasonable wage where we can get another LB that can start most games for us. But I highly doubt he's on a reasonable wage.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
We're not going to sell 15+ players and bring in 10+ in one summer. The starting 11 that starts next season probably won't be a million miles from what's perceived as our current strongest 11 from this season.

There will be 3 or 4 new first choice starters brought in and maybe a couple that will start the season as subs.

They will look at this at a long term rebuild. Bring players in for the short/medium/long terms.

Give it two seasons (start of 26/27 season) and I reckon there's probably only 5 or 6 from the current squad still here.

Lyng

Licha - probably my favourite as a future captain if we can get his injuries in check.
Højlund
Garnacho
Mainoo
Dalot - Actually think Dalot has really shown his true potential this season and it would be foolish to sell him now.
Amad - I still believe he will come good. Especially if we get a proper system in place and stop playing "fancy" counter attack ball.

The rest can be upgraded.

M16Red

Licha - probably my favourite as a future captain if we can get his injuries in check.
Højlund
Garnacho
Mainoo
Dalot - Actually think Dalot has really shown his true potential this season and it would be foolish to sell him now.
Amad - I still believe he will come good. Especially if we get a proper system in place and stop playing "fancy" counter attack ball.

The rest can be upgraded.
How the feck did this come into your mind? He's not played enough to come to this conclusion, he didn't play like this for Sunderland.

ArbeitervonWien

We're not going to sell 15+ players and bring in 10+ in one summer. The starting 11 that starts next season probably won't be a million miles from what's perceived as our current strongest 11 from this season.

There will be 3 or 4 new first choice starters brought in and maybe a couple that will start the season as subs.

They will look at this at a long term rebuild. Bring players in for the short/medium/long terms.

Give it two seasons (start of 26/27 season) and I reckon there's probably only 5 or 6 from the current squad still here.
I think this would be absolutely fine. If we get about 6 good players in and get especially LB, CB and DM position right and adding some serious cover in attack we'll have a good squad ready for top 4.

Adamsk7

Surely you’d have Garnacho in there to?
Not as untouchable. He’s good but I feel he drifts out of games for long periods and isn’t as dangerous as some here make out. He’s young with a long way to go but he could just as easily be a player that ends up at a mid table Spanish side as he could our starting winger.

he probably sits with Dalot and Shaw and Mount (no game time) in the “would probably still keep for now” area.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Not as untouchable. He’s good but I feel he drifts out of games for long periods and isn’t as dangerous as some here make out. He’s young with a long way to go but he could just as easily be a player that ends up at a mid table Spanish side as he could our starting winger.

he probably sits with Dalot and Shaw and Mount (no game time) in the “would probably still keep for now” area.
I think under the right manager and in the correct environment/team. He could become a world beater. He’s shown glimpses of his class already, and he’s so young. Better than the likes of Pellestri and Amad. If he can work on his decision making and his finishing then he’ll be top class.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Garnacho and Mainoo are the only 2 worth keeping. Maybe Amad as well. Pretty much everyone else has been a failure. They've had their chance and just havent been good enough or reliable enough.

RedRJ

Mainoo
Garnacho
Rasmus
I’d add Dalot to that list irrespective of his cock-up tonight. Ordinarily I’d have had Shaw and Martinez on the list but they can’t stay fit for five minutes so they can go too as far as I’m concerned.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Why is Hojlund untouchable? There are loads of strikers out there better than him
He's literally the only striker we have at the club. Unless we plan to sign three this summer then we keep him. At worst he can be a bench option.

Irwin99

Same as it has been all season: Martinez, Onana, Dalot, Hojlund, Garnacho, Mainoo

The rest i've just given up on. I like Bruno a lot and his work rate is exceptional but he's not part of a future title challenging team. Shaw, Rashford, McTominay, Varane, Casemiro and a fair few others - all the same.

despairingfool

Mainoo, Hojlund, Garnacho.

All the rest can leave. Especially Rashford and McTominay.