Let's say INEOS go full fire sale this summer: Who are your untouchables?

CloneMC16

Martinez, Mainoo, Garnacho and Hojlund. Everybody else could potentially be sold and replaced.

I don't think they're untouchable, but I would also keep Dalot and AWB. I would add Shaw, but his injuries are hurting us.

CloneMC16

I'd look to sell him and try to find someone who is better than Dalot, or at the very least someone who can give us more going forward than AWB.
Fair enough. I rate him much higher than most of our fans. RB is the one position that I don't think we need to spend money. Every other position could do with some kind of change.

Remember the geese

Fair enough. I rate him much higher than most of our fans. RB is the one position that I don't think we need to spend money. Every other position could do with some kind of change.
Agreed that it isn't the biggest priority, but if we could upgrade on Dalot or at least find an attacking option (Frimpong for example), we could sell AWB in the process.

RoyH1

Martinez, Mainoo, Garnacho and Hojlund. Everybody else could potentially be sold and replaced.

I don't think they're untouchable, but I would also keep Dalot and AWB. I would add Shaw, but his injuries are hurting us.
Agree. We need upgrades on every line to get us to the place we want to be.

aj_united

On Trial
Mainoo, Garnacho, Martinez, Bruno & Hoijlund.

I'm surprised at the number of people saying Shaw given that he's injured 99% of the time.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Its just the four obvious ones that are untouchable: Martinez, Mainoo, Garnacho & Hoijlund.

The rest can be replaced periodically by priority.

From the starting eleven, i feel Rashford & Casemiro are right up there on the priority list.

croadyman

Its just the four obvious ones that are untouchable: Martinez, Mainoo, Garnacho & Hoijlund.

The rest can be replaced periodically by priority.

From the starting eleven, i feel Rashford & Casemiro are right up there on the priority list.
Completely agree they are only untouchables

iKeano

Untouchable - Garnacho, Mainoo, Hojlund.

Take or leave (partly due to injury/lack of reliability) - Martinez, Bruno, AWB, Erikson, Bayindir, Heaton, Evans, Amad

Should go - Rashford, Anthony, Sancho, McTominay, Onana, Varane, Amrabat, Shaw, Maguire, Lindelof, Malacia, Martial, VanDeBeek, Williams, Dalot, Casemiro, Huddlestone(!), Mount, Number 11.
Entire medical staff, entire physio staff, set piece coach, throw in coach, PR Team, social media team... probably left a few out but it's a start!
I'd get rid of Ten Hag too but the thought of Potter being Utd manager makes me.physically ill. The English Moyes. Southgate 2.0. A disaster in waiting.

The reality is we're stuck with underperforming, huge waged egos for the foreseeable.

Varun1

Bayindir, Martinez, Shaw, Mainoo, Garnacho, Rasmus. Am on the fence on Bruno, and Amad needs a run before I can make up my mind.

FerociousCorgis

really confused to see bayindir mentioned a couple of times. Guessing just because hasnt played much? Nobody is untouchable but the 3 id want to see most retained is the obvious trio- Garnacho/Hojlund/mainoo. Literally anyone else could go and id understand. Shows what a disaster our squad building has been.

Longlivekeano

Untouchable: mainoo, Garnacho, Højlund, dalot.

Keep but don’t extend contract: mctom, amad,

Promote youths: 2-3 a year.

sell the rest

Melville Red

Take or leave (partly due to injury/lack of reliability) - Martinez, Bruno, AWB, Erikson, Bayindir, Heaton, Evans, Amad

Should go - Rashford, Anthony, Sancho, McTominay, Onana, Varane, Amrabat, Shaw, Maguire, Lindelof, Malacia, Martial, VanDeBeek, Williams, Dalot, Casemiro, Huddlestone(!), Mount, Number 11.
Entire medical staff, entire physio staff, set piece coach, throw in coach, PR Team, social media team... probably left a few out but it's a start!
I'd get rid of Ten Hag too but the thought of Potter being Utd manager makes me.physically ill. The English Moyes. Southgate 2.0. A disaster in waiting.

The reality is we're stuck with underperforming, huge waged egos for the foreseeable.
Is the teal lady, Mrs Green safe?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wouldn't be massively upset to see anyone go if it meant we improve.

But it'd make zero sense to sell Mainoo, Garnacho or Hojlund.
Martinez and Shaw if they can prove they won't spend half the season injured again.
Beyond that there's probably an argument in favour of selling anyone else, IF you believed we'd replace with better, which isn't a given.

Paul778

Untouchable: mainoo, Garnacho, Højlund, dalot.

Keep but don’t extend contract: mctom, amad,

Promote youths: 2-3 a year.

sell the rest
McT is academy product so all profit from a FFP perspective. Selling him for 35m opens up 4-5 times that when buying and amortised. He's not that key to us.

TheRedHearted

We need complete players. We don’t need players who are half of a player, and most importantly we need pace in midfield. For way too long we have been so slow in midfield and then people are surprised we are getting over run in there.

Realistically how much can we spend if we do sell let’s say 100 million across 6 players?

McT is academy product so all profit from a FFP perspective. Selling him for 35m opens up 4-5 times that when buying and amortised. He's not that key to us.
That’s very interesting how that works with sales in regards to FFP

So a sale or rashford is the same?

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?

:lol::lol:i think you missed a few. I generally agree on the playing staff but including poor old Big Tom Huddlestone is a bit low. Malacia and Martinez i would give them another season to prove fitness though.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Wouldn't be massively upset to see anyone go if it meant we improve.

But it'd make zero sense to sell Mainoo, Garnacho or Hojlund.
Martinez and Shaw if they can prove they won't spend half the season injured again.
Beyond that there's probably an argument in favour of selling anyone else, IF you believed we'd replace with better, which isn't a given.
Given how re-worked our structure will be and the players we have, I don't think it will be that difficult for many of these.

mancsarered

Being a little more realistic than keeping two or three players in the entire club...

Who I'd keep as "starters"
Mainoo
Hojlund
Licha
Garnacho
Onana

Who I'd keep as rotational/squad players
Dalot
Lindelof
McTominay
Mount - cant bin him yet, not enough data.

Obviously I'd keep, say, a Rashford, as a rotational player, but he'd never accept that role.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
People really, really need to stop evaluating our players based on how they are performing after two seasons of inadequate coaching and in the resultant, non-existent football framework. It’s been apparent since the opening days of the season vs Wolves and Arsenal that ETH had woefully prepared the team for the campaign ahead, and it is no surprise that every single player in the squad has struggled to consistently perform.

No successful future manager is ever going to ask so many of our players to perform their current roles that they are so ill suited to. There’s loads of good piece here for the future manager and DOF to shape into a squad. There’s a few obvious gaps, but there’s also several players who are absolutely at their floor and will thrive when their skillset is utilised accordingly.

INEOS won’t go full fire sale, because financially it makes little to no sense and is a very inefficient way to develop a squad. We’ve already cut down the squad a fair bit with many of the fringe players leaving on loan, who won’t be reintegrated. I also question how many of our longer term injured players will have much of a future here. It will be more of a case of adding to the squad, with one or two leaving, rather than 10 in and 10 out.

tomaldinho1

It depends on the style of football they envision us playing to be honest. Assuming we will pass from the back and play a much more positional/possession based game we have an exciting core of players in my opinion, regardless of a manager.

---------------------Onana--------------------
Dalot
----- CB ------------- Licha ------ Shaw
--------------------- DM ----------------------
---------------
Mainoo - Bruno ---------------
Garnacho -------------------------------- LW
------------------
Hojlund ------------------

The bolded being question marks i.e. Dalot has looked better and is a good age but is he good enough? Bruno will be phased out. Shaw can't really be trusted to stay fit.

So signing a good, young CB, a DM and a Rashford replacement should be the priority. We will have huge amounts of funds available even if we shift Rashford for a lower fee given he's an academy player on huge money.

Make no mistake, the team will struggle to get top 4, but the whole point is you actually build towards something and don't do as we've done for the last decade and throw money and big names at a problem.

Roboc7

I’d give Onana another season, the other two keepers are fine if they want to stay.

Defenders I’d keep Dalot, Shaw and Martinez, midfielders Mainoo, forwards Garnacho and Hjolund. Outside of that I don’t see anyone as being a huge loss and I hope we see the vast majority cleared out over next few years.

Liverpool and more recently Arsenal have shown that gutting your squad over a few years isn’t the disaster many seem to think it will be and that it can in fact be very beneficial. The Arsenal match day squad that was thrashed by City in 2021 is vastly different. That’s exactly what we need and I do think there will be higher turnover of players being bought and sold with INEOS in charge.

gaffs

I don't think it is realistic to do a huge fire sale with FFP.

The club benefits most from the sale of homegrown players, or those who's amortization period is over - i.e. off their initial contracts.

For that reason, I would be looking to shift Rashford, Lindelof and McTominay. If there are decent offers for AWB, Casemiro, Varane, Shaw and Maguire, they should be sold. Past their best and taking up a lot of space on the wage bill.

The issue will be trying to replace this number of players.

gaffs

Being a little more realistic than keeping two or three players in the entire club...

Who I'd keep as "starters"
Mainoo
Hojlund
Licha
Garnacho
Onana

Who I'd keep as rotational/squad players
Dalot
Lindelof
McTominay
Mount - cant bin him yet, not enough data.

Obviously I'd keep, say, a Rashford, as a rotational player, but he'd never accept that role.
Cant justify his 350k a week if he is just a squad player.

The issue is that few would take him. The only hope is PSG want a Mbappe replacement.

simplyared

Despite his antics would definately keep Bruno. He's quality and he's been a great servant for the club. If he's pissed off having played in a shit team for so long I would allow him to leave and do him a favour.

Nickosaur

Garnacho, Mainoo and Hojlund are the only ones we should instantly reject offers for imo.

Everyone else should be considered- if the price is right.

E.g. Martinez/Bruno still have roles to play - but we shouldn't be turning down Saudi type offers.

Based Adnan

Ultimately anyone can go but I'd be dissapointed if anyone from the below left:

Onana, Dalot, Kambwala, Martinez, Mainoo, Garnacho, Amad, and Hoijlund.

Canucantona20

Onana can stay and start another season

Shaw is good enough but he’s never fit so he can go. Malacia can go as well.

Dalot can stay as a squad option. AWB can go.

Martinez stays and starts. Lindelof can stay as a 3rd string CB. Willy can stay or go on loan.

Evans, Varane, Maguire can all go.

Casemiro, Eriksen, Mctominay, Amarabat, Pellistri, DVB can all go.

Mainoo, Bruno, Mount, Hannibal, Amad can stay.

Martial, Sancho, Antony can go.

Hojlund stays and starts. Greenwood stays for me.

We need a massive overhaul in the summer and at least 5 signings.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Onana can stay and start another season

Shaw is good enough but he’s never fit so he can go. Malacia can go as well.

Dalot can stay as a squad option. AWB can go.

Martinez stays and starts. Lindelof can stay as a 3rd string CB. Willy can stay or go on loan.

Evans, Varane, Maguire can all go.

Casemiro, Eriksen, Mctominay, Amarabat, Pellistri, DVB can all go.

Mainoo, Bruno, Mount, Hannibal, Amad can stay.

Martial, Sancho, Antony can go.

Hojlund stays and starts. Greenwood stays for me.

We need a massive overhaul in the summer and at least 5 signings.
Not overly bothered but you’d keep Lindelof over Evans or Maguire?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Cant justify his 350k a week if he is just a squad player.

The issue is that few would take him. The only hope is PSG want a Mbappe replacement.
Not that I’m arsed if he goes personally but if he stays, club should be renegotiating.

Offer him a much reduced wage… as I wish we’d done with De Gea (and not spent that £50m)

poleglass red

Mainoo, Garnacho, Martinez, Bruno & Hoijlund.

I'm surprised at the number of people saying Shaw given that he's injured 99% of the time.
The same accusation could be levelled at Martinez, this is his 2nd season, he must have missed around 40 games now through injury. Great player and been unlucky but that's a lot of missed games.

daveskimufc

Mainoo, Martinez and hojlund are the only three that would not leave if I had the choice.

freeurmind

weak willed
Mainoo and Bruno, the rest can all piss off.

I would say Martinez as well but he's never fit.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Not that I’m arsed if he goes personally but if he stays, club should be renegotiating.

Offer him a much reduced wage… as I wish we’d done with De Gea (and not spent that £50m)
They just negotiated that deal less than a year ago, Rashford wouldn't even contemplate a much reduced wage and neither would any other player in the same situation no matter who they are

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Evans has been good but he shouldn’t be playing at our level if we’re serious.

Maguire will most likely not accept a backup role. Don’t think he’s good enough or fits the system we are trying to implement.
He had the opportunity to leave last summer knowing that staying would mean a backup role so what's changed?