Gaming Lies of P

Woodzy

Let’s talk about it, released today. I’ve played a few hours on game pass and have to say I’m very impressed. It’s the closet thing to Bloodborne I’ve played, and unlike most souls-like imitations, this one actually holds its own.

Reviews have said it’s too easy, but I’ve found myself dying fairly often from the first boss onwards.

Woodzy

I'm stuck on the Scrapped Watchman. It's great but definitely a step in difficulty compared to others in the genre.

Also, that song you pick up from the woman before the Scrapped Watchman fight is an absolute tune.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
I'm stuck on the Scrapped Watchman. It's great but definitely a step in difficulty compared to others in the genre.

Also, that song you pick up from the woman before the Scrapped Watchman fight is an absolute tune.
I just used the spectre to make it easy because i'm a baby :lol: The boss after Scrapped Watchman, what a bitch, gotta really play that fight right.

Feel, really want to know who sings that, it's so good.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I found the demo to be pretty bland and way too easy. Also the art direction is mostly basic, not a patch on Bloodbourne or even the early souls games.

I'll try this at some point, but I'm glad you guys are liking the full game it gives me some hope.

Siorac

I've played this a bit and it's clearly a well-made game but yeah, the problem is that everything about it just makes me want to play Bloodborne.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I found the demo to be pretty bland and way too easy. Also the art direction is mostly basic, not a patch on Bloodbourne or even the early souls games.

I'll try this at some point, but I'm glad you guys are liking the full game it gives me some hope.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

Why are you following me around like a bad smell lately? I haven't wound you up in ages :lol:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
this is a great game. Been fairly addicted to it for the last week

Using spectors for evey boss fight. But its getting very hard as I approach the end. I reckon if the exact same game was released by From it would have rated even higher and had far more eyes on it.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
100% it today. 3 full playthroughs to get the different endings. :)
Very much recommended to people enjoying souls games.

Selbourne

100% it today. 3 full playthroughs to get the different endings. :)
Very much recommended to people enjoying souls games.
I echo that. I'm near late game now I think and been really enjoying it throughout. There was one boss I have issues with, but aside from that it's really legit.

crossy1686

career ending
Really enjoyed this game for the most part but I am a fan of the Souls games. More absolute bullshit than the Souls games though, killed the boss? Not yet you haven't! Now here's the real boss fight with moves you can only block if you time them perfectly. It's for sure Dark Souls on hard mode.

Already beaten the bosses that they patched so I'm interested in playing through a couple more times to see if they're easier next time round.

Woodzy

The bosses are ridiculous to be fair. I feel like the game pretty much wants you to summon (as it makes it much easier), but I just struggle to bring myself to do it. I had to do it for the factory boss as it was a right cnut.

Ted Lasso

Got a great review on the Skill Up channel which is the only reason I know about it. How do you rank the difficulty versus something like Bloodborne?

Reditus

Got a great review on the Skill Up channel which is the only reason I know about it. How do you rank the difficulty versus something like Bloodborne?
Similar difficulty . Maybe a little harder also no option to get online help

also harder than dark souls 1-3 and demon souls but easier than Sekiro

Reditus

Really enjoyed this game for the most part but I am a fan of the Souls games. More absolute bullshit than the Souls games though, killed the boss? Not yet you haven't! Now here's the real boss fight with moves you can only block if you time them perfectly. It's for sure Dark Souls on hard mode.

Already beaten the bosses that they patched so I'm interested in playing through a couple more times to see if they're easier next time round.
yeah a lot of 2nd phase bosses, if trophy/achievements don’t pop right away it ain’t over

Reditus

Nameless Puppet was ridiculous

finally beat him. Game done and dusted

9/10

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Can anyone confirm that the patch made the significantly easier? I love the FROM games but anything even harder might be a bit much for me.

DavelinaJolie

Took me 12 goes to beat that stupid copper robot in the train station.

First time playing a souls-like, (aside from half an hour of the original Lords of the Fallen, and a few hours of Vampyr).

I'm confused by parrying. Surely it's not worth doing as you'll just get assf*cked when you don't time it perfectly?

And what's with the stupid left arm? It doesn't do anything then runs out of power.

How come the trash enemies fall over when you breath on them?

How come that woman keeps telling me to go somewhere but I haven't idea where that place is?

Woodzy

Took me 12 goes to beat that stupid copper robot in the train station.

First time playing a souls-like, (aside from half an hour of the original Lords of the Fallen, and a few hours of Vampyr).

I'm confused by parrying. Surely it's not worth doing as you'll just get assf*cked when you don't time it perfectly?

And what's with the stupid left arm? It doesn't do anything then runs out of power.

How come the trash enemies fall over when you breath on them?

How come that woman keeps telling me to go somewhere but I haven't idea where that place is?
For parrying, you need to hold the block button at the right time as opposed to just tapping it. It gets a lot easier once you nail that down.

The arm becomes more useful when you start to get upgrades, although I’m sure you should have the puppet string by now?

Enemies get slightly harder, don’t worry about that…

If you’ve just beat the police fecker then I think the next step is to go to the hotel to talk to Gepetto then back to the area where you beat the boss.

DavelinaJolie

For parrying, you need to hold the block button at the right time as opposed to just tapping it. It gets a lot easier once you nail that down.

The arm becomes more useful when you start to get upgrades, although I’m sure you should have the puppet string by now?

Enemies get slightly harder, don’t worry about that…

If you’ve just beat the police fecker then I think the next step is to go to the hotel to talk to Gepetto then back to the area where you beat the boss.
Cheers. Mm. I've reached the Parade Master, haven't met Gepetto, so I don't know if I'm doing this in the correct order.

About 7 or 8 tries against him so far, I've got parrying against his moves mostly down now, but he kicks my ass in the second phase because I just can't get an opening to attack. I might go backwards and get more of the xp stuff to level up my stamina a bit more.

Last edited:

Woodzy

Cheers. Mm. I've reached the Parade Master, haven't met Gepetto, so I don't know if I'm doing this in the correct order.

About 7 or 8 tries against him so far, I've got parrying against his moves mostly down now, but he kicks my ass in the second phase because I just can't get an opening to attack. I might go backwards and get more of the xp stuff to level up my stamina a bit more.
Yeh, when you said copper robot I thought you meant a later boss. You’re doing the correct order, but got a little bit to go before you get where I thought you were.

izzydiggler

Nearing the end I think and it's been a big surprise that it's so good.

I'm not sure whether it's fatigue/familiarity but I've not especially enjoyed the recent FROM games, despite their glowing reviews and GOTY awards.

I feel some of the frustrations of Elden Ring have been ironed out, it's a bit more focused and linear, which I've liked. If there's any criticism, it lacks a bit of location variety and some of the bosses are brutal but really enjoyed it. That it was 'free' on GP doesn't hurt either.

Dave_MUFC

Was really excited for this game before it was released because of the style, but never liked Souls-like games.

Enjoyed the opening 10 minutes, got to the first big enemy, got destroyed, and never picked it up again.

DavelinaJolie

Was really excited for this game before it was released because of the style, but never liked Souls-like games.

Enjoyed the opening 10 minutes, got to the first big enemy, got destroyed, and never picked it up again.
I'm on the same boat, as regards lack of experience of similar games. A lot of it appears to be trial and error and learning patterns. I'm still stuck on the first boss, but finding the challenge is helping me refine my use of the movement tools I have. Being able to do the proper parry seems quite important.

I'll see how it goes but I'm mentally counting down the hours til I can get back to it and try a slightly more aggressive approach.

Woodzy

Dying to bosses repeatedly is all part of the learning game. The general boss difficulty in this is probably bigger than most if not all Souls games but they can definitely be done.

Also, summoning for a boss fight in this is pretty much encouraged I think. They can be done without but the challenge is greatly reduced with help.

DavelinaJolie

Dying to bosses repeatedly is all part of the learning game. The general boss difficulty in this is probably bigger than most if not all Souls games but they can definitely be done.

Also, summoning for a boss fight in this is pretty much encouraged I think. They can be done without but the challenge is greatly reduced with help.
I dread to think what must be ahead. Just beat the Parade Master, and it was quite tough, but started to make more sense once I'd practiced the Perfect Guard against him and found the windows to try and get a counter hit (though I got a little greedy at times and had to rein myself back in).

I can see the appeal, and in a way to me it plays on the same thing I really liked about Celeste, in that you need to practice moves and sections until you get to the point you can pull them off reliably to progress. I just kinda suck at depth perception in games, so the third dimension makes it that much harder.

Last edited:

DavelinaJolie

Two hours on it this morning and working through the boulevard. Another of those asshole giant bobbies, should they be this hard? (took me 7 goes) Helpful to gauge just how bad I am at this.

The chimney sweeps are also assholes, and it's a bit dickish facing them in narrow areas when they just do their charge moves. The new coppers with the swords arent that bad, though chuck a dog in and it's kinda harsh. I think I'm at another boss, see how it goes I guess. I really like it, I just don't know if I'm really bad at it as I die so much.

DavelinaJolie

So after downing Fuoco in about 4-5 tries and feeling like a real badass I get to Andreus.

25+ attempts later he is finally done. Was only able to get through his second health bar when I got through the first with full health and all pulse cells myself. That double dash attack followed by the fury attack he does is just unavoidable, partly because the camera is so unbelievably awful against huge bosses close up when you're anywhere close to a wall.

I'm committed to seeing this game through now, partly because I really like it, but also sheer stubbornness. It's not without a few issues though.

DavelinaJolie

The jester mini-boss is the first time I've gone in hard with throwables. I regret nothing.

DavelinaJolie

Bumping this again.

Downed Laxasia last night (7th attempt), that was an amazing fight, though some of the effects made it difficult to discern what the heck she was doing. I don't know if I'm overlevelled, but the last few boss fights have felt a lot easier than King of Puppets or the Swamp Monster (downed BRB2 and Corrupted Parade Master first time).

I've gone from wondering what the hell is this game to thinking it may be my personal favourite of the year. The story is pretty cool, some of the characters are brilliant, and the humanity system is quite a nice touch. Few gripes, such as the massive amount of ambush attacks (wears thin after a while), and some sections feel a little long (I don't think chapter 11 needs to be this big).

I've seen quite a few complaints about the parry window but I've found it is pretty manageable, yeah I can't do them flawlessly through a fight but in the Laxasia fight I surprised myself by pulling out some life-saving perfect guards on instinct.

Oh, and the Puppet Ripper is life.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It’s such a blatant rip off of Bloodborne but that’s not a bad thing cause it does it really well. I’m not far in but I definitely like it.