Lingard and Martial injured - attacking options?

yo@Kirk

It was an injury crisis that gave teenager Marcus Rashford the opportunity too show Man Utd fans he was ready for the big stage. Mason Greenwood should have a similar opportunity. With his great close control and deft passing with either foot, he would be a good fit as a false 9 with Rashford at left forward and Lukaku at right forward. Physically, he could be Rashford's twin so I don't think he will be overwhelmed by EPL level defenders. I've seen all I want too see of Sanchez and Mata.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It was an injury crisis that gave teenager Marcus Rashford the opportunity too show Man Utd fans he was ready for the big stage. Mason Greenwood should have a similar opportunity. With his great close control and deft passing with either foot, he would be a good fit as a false 9 with Rashford at left forward and Lukaku at right forward. Physically, he could be Rashford's twin so I don't think he will be overwhelmed by EPL level defenders. I've seen all I want too see of Sanchez and Mata.
He’s a year younger and we’re not playing Midgetland. Chelsea away against proven internationals is quite another upgrade

Mcking

He’s a year younger and we’re not playing Midgetland. Chelsea away against proven internationals is quite another upgrade
Rashford also started our next game after Midtjylland too. Against Arsenal in the league where he scored twice.

Irrational.

There is absolutely no chance that Greenwood, Chong or Gomes would start whilst Sanchez, Lukaku and Mata are fit. The first three are novices who haven't even established themselves at U21 level, whilst the latter trio are seasoned Premier League players.

Whilst I would love to see them playing and prosper, people putting them in their starting line ups are just not realistic. The most chance we have of seeing them is one of them coming off he bench for a few minutes.

cathari

With his great close control and deft passing with either foot, he would be a good fit as a false 9 with Rashford at left forward and Lukaku at right forward. Physically, he could be Rashford's twin so I don't think he will be overwhelmed by EPL level defenders.
IF he gets his chance, it will definitely be on the wing. Rashford, Lukaku and Sanchez are all most efficient centrally.

SSSSnake

Lukaku, Sanchez and Mata all need to step up no questions asked. Lukaku out of the 3 is most capable for me personally because of his goal threat. Mata and Sanchez just don't have the same output and end product. Lingard although doesn't score and assist enough at least offers movement and decent link up play.

Redrich91

At home against Arsenal;Chelsea away is a different proposition
Football has been evolving over the last 5-8 years. No longer do we have to wait until a player is 21 or 22 before we say " yes, he's ready to make a leap to first team football."

The lad is clearly extremely talented. You take a look around and you see Sancho, Ousmane Dembele, Mbappe, Rashford etc... all started at young ages. If you're good enough, you're old enough. And Irrational. mentioning we have Mata and Sanchez is one of the reasons Pogba fecked off to Juve when we had "Gibson and Cleverly". I just feel, playing mata and sanchez is actually hurting us. I rather have give our youngsters a chance or have other options. Maybe, Fred at least getting a shot at Mata's position. Everytime I see Mata, Lukaku, or Sanchez on the pitch, I can predict exactly how the game is gonna go

Last edited by a moderator:

wrinklydong

Park the bus, flood the midfield, I'll take draws for Chelsea and Liverpool match. With our remaining attackers the potential reward doesn't out weight the risk.

Bestietom

Lukaku-Rashford-Alexis vs Chelsea? Probably the same vs Pool.

Mata shouldn't even be in the conversation. I'd rather see a kid on the bench than him.

Could try a diamond:

Matic
Herrera - Fred
Pogba
Rashford - Alexis​
Yes, I was thinking the same way. If it works against Chelsea, play the same way against Liverpool. i would like to give Greenwood a chance but he's injured, also.

buchansleftleg

If he was fit i would go for giving Greenwood a run out to stretch that chelsea defence.

As he isn't then I'd be tempted to use Chong. The issue for me will be whether to start with youth first or use Lukaku and Sanchez.

I've no confidence in Sanchez and Lukaku to actually stretch the Chelsea defence and tire them out, so maybe start with Chong and Rashford and keep everything tight in the first half. Chong is great at running at defences and is an unknown to Chelsea. He will draw a lot of fouls in and around the box too.

I'd possibly go 3-5-2 with Dalot and Shaw playing as wing-backs.

Smalling Lindelof Bailly

Dalot Matic Herrera Shaw

Pogba

Chong
Rashford

If then really need to chase the game we can bring on Sanchez for one of the 3 centre backs and Lukaku for Chong if he has frozen on the big stage.

Sarri is under pressure and i think if we can hold out for 45 minutes and have herrera all up in jorghino's face we can win this.

Last edited: