Lingard at RB?

Welbeckham

I think it's not as bad an idea as people here seem to think. On the other hand, Valencia was a very good winger in his first three seasons here, and Lingard has yet to show attacking talent of that level, let alone defensive or physical capability to perform nowhere near Valencia's capability. Valencia is still underrated here, ball retaining is not a non factor in football, that's high level technical ability.

I rate Lingard lot more than most, but I think Jesse still lacks some technical consistency and security which he should already have at almost 25. Not much to suggest he would be a much better full back than Ashley Young for example.

Bojan11

No way.

Valencia easily made the transition because he is strong as a ox. Lingard gets shrugged off the ball too easily. Valencia rarely gets shrugged off it.

tomaldinho1

My underestimation of the Lingard haters has cost me dear!

Most of the arguments seem to be that he's only a squad player so I don't really get the problem. Retraining him as an RB makes him the ultimate sub - a modern day Phil Neville but with pace.

tomaldinho1

Make a thread and when people don't agree and point out why, call them 'haters' :lol:

Logic.
Not sure I follow...

Well documented Felly & Lingard divide opinion...I don't think ppl will have an issue with the word whether they're for or against....maybe you're just a bit touchy

Stactix

No couple of reasons..
Typically you want to improve on what you already have or had.. Once Valencia goes, giving that position to Lingard would be a major downgrade.
Why? easily pushed off the ball, can't beat a man half as well as Valencia.. he'll always cut inside? Which is actually one of Utds current problems and Valencia is one of the few players that stretch the play.
Defensively, he'll be a liability in comparison to Valencia
Honestly, I'd rather give Fosuh Mensah or Tuanzebe a run there..

Robbie Boy

Not sure I follow...

Well documented Felly & Lingard divide opinion...I don't think ppl will have an issue with the word whether they're for or against....maybe you're just a bit touchy
No I think you're upset people aren't agreeing with you. Also, "hater" :lol: are you a teenage girl? If so, then cool.

tomaldinho1

No I think you're upset people aren't agreeing with you. Also, "hater" :lol: are you a teenage girl? If so, then cool.
Ugh...spare me

To make sure I don't offend you further I will address them as 'people who are not fans of Jesse Lingard' moving forwards

Shuriken

When I think of a winger who can logically make this transition in the PL now, I think of someone like Oxlade-Chamberlain… not Lingard.

I can definitely see Mourinho signing Ox some day anyway, perhaps not to play as RB initially though.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
What we need from a potential RB is all round up and down plus the ability to cross well.

If he can do that with a bit of coaching then why not.

At the moment I can't see it.

kthanksbye

When Shaw Young and Rojo are back, we'll have enough cover for this season.
I strongly feel this is Shaw's last chance, we'll be in for a RB and a world class attacking player next window, that's when Jose will have truly completed the rebuilding.

Djemba-Djemba

Not sure I follow...

People have explained why he wouldn't be a good right back.

It's got nothing to do with being a "hater"

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
My underestimation of the Lingard haters has cost me dear!

Most of the arguments seem to be that he's only a squad player so I don't really get the problem. Retraining him as an RB makes him the ultimate sub - a modern day Phil Neville but with pace.
Your massive overestimation of Lingard's ability has cost you dear. He has no technical ability, is even more useless at defence than he is at attack and he has no strength. He's not even fit to lace Phil Neville's boots let along compare him to him and he isn't that fast either.

And no we don't hate him , just don't rate him at all.

tomaldinho1

Your massive overestimation of Lingard's ability has cost you dear. He has no technical ability, is even more useless at defence than he is at attack and he has no strength. He's not even fit to lace Phil Neville's boots let along compare him to him and he isn't that fast either.

And no we don't hate him , just don't rate him at all.
I can understand doubts over technical ability and physicality but he is fast. That's just a fact.

Last yr only players clocked quicker were Rashy, Bailly and Shaw...

People have explained why he wouldn't be a good right back.

It's got nothing to do with being a "hater"
You should probably read the thread in it's entirety then - to quote someone earlier 'there was no way this wasn't going to turn into a Lingard bashing thread'

No issues with ppl disagreeing about him converting to an RB but there's a lot of general dislike for the guy around

MadMike

No issues with ppl disagreeing about him converting to an RB but there's a lot of general dislike for the guy around
It's to be expected. He has been keeping much better players than him on the bench under Mourinho. Namely Mkhi and Martial.

It's not his fault, of course, but you know how fans are. Not always rational.

Robbie Boy

It's to be expected. He has been keeping much better players than him on the bench under Mourinho. Namely Mkhi and Martial.

It's not his fault, of course, but you know how fans are. Not always rational.
Hardly irrational wanting to see better players play ahead of him, really. If someone said they 'hate' him, that would be irrational but I haven't seen that at all.

NoPace

Here's a quick list of players that I'd play ahead of Lingard at RB when Valencia's out...off the top of my head.

- Darmian
- Young
- Jones
- Bailly
- Smalling
- Tuanzebe
- Lindelof.... any more CB left? no. ok
- Herrera
- Jose Mourinho
- My dad
I also think Rashford would do a better job. I just trust him in a way I don't trust Lingard and he's bigger and faster and a better crosser. Below Herrera, above Mourinho.

SoCross

Lingard was given his United debut at right wing back before he walked off injured. Think he definitely could do a job there. FFS, Fergie used Fletcher at RB so this isn't too far fetched an idea despite it not being ideal.

Robbie Boy

Lingard was given his United debut at right wing back before he walked off injured. Think he definitely could do a job there. FFS, Fergie used Fletcher at RB so this isn't too far fetched an idea despite it not being ideal.
Was he not a LWB in that game?

SoCross

Was he not a LWB in that game?
As I recall, it was Young at LWB and Lingard at RWB. Hmm.

But anyway, I'd like the idea of having a squad player around who can cover several positions. Think Lingard's role with us will be just that and he's certainly capable of doing it. Good to have around.

::sonny::

Don't shoot me down immediately but I genuinely think Lingard's future here will be as an RB or, more likely, an RWB.

It's no secret he is liked by Mourinho but his general level is a rung or two below our other players who play in his position. He seems a cert to be on the bench again this weekend and I think we will be very active in Jan/next summer getting in another marquee attacking player making his chances at establishing himself tougher.

Tony V has the RB slot nailed down but he is 32 and, as phenomenally in shape as he is, he should be rested for big games if we get the chance. Sad though it is, it's likely we will need to find another RB in the next few years.

Dare I say it but Lingard is a better technical footballer than Valencia, he just isn't as powerful and aggressive. I think he has the raw attributes to develop nicely there and would be a genuine threat going forward plus he has a great engine and is homegrown (comes with added benefit of hopefully wanting to stay at the club for life).

Apologies if there is a thread for this already - I couldn't see one.
It could be a great idea, because he can't play upfront in any epl team

It would be an opportunity for him, if he continues his career in that role in few years we will see him playing in championship sides.

Klopp_De_Klown

Evil genius at work, enter at ones own risk.

Mourinhos master plan revealed... Muwhahahahah Wuhuhuhahahhaha ahhhh

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I can understand doubts over technical ability and physicality but he is fast. That's just a fact.

Last yr only players clocked quicker were Rashy, Bailly and Shaw...
There are more than that who are faster than him, Valencia is the fastest United player , add Smalling and Martial, Pogba and Mkhi look faster too.
Never yet seen Lingard run away from anyone, he always gets caught in a chase. On top of that he can't cross or tackle.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
No.

U need a right back. Buy one.

There's no point shifting an rw into rb only to buy another back up rw.

You'll ended up back on square one and those 2 positions brcomes filled with unnatural player playing unnatural position

We tried to shift rooney to lw and we ended up with an average lw and an expensive striker and still we lack both.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Would rather sell Lingard and buy a right back or play m Tunzabe or TFM there.

Camilo

If the club wants to get back to the top then the club has to act like a top club. Putting an average footballer in defence, who has none of the physical attributes to be a defender, would be a big step backwards.

Mourinho either needs to bring in two new full backs, or start giving real game time to our younger players. That RB spot will be up for grabs in a season or two.. Are either of Fosu-Mensah or Tuanzebe potential replacements? Or are they just hanging around for a few more years before going to Wigan due to zero playing time? If Valencia gets a longish term injury, is Darmian really our replacement? Blind and Darmian at full back puts a huge strain on our front 4 I feel..

A little off topic I suppose.. I'm happy for Lingard to stay and play, but not as a starter.

tomaldinho1

There are more than that who are faster than him, Valencia is the fastest United player , add Smalling and Martial, Pogba and Mkhi look faster too.
Never yet seen Lingard run away from anyone, he always gets caught in a chase. On top of that he can't cross or tackle.
I'm just going off stats from last year's PL. FYI Rashford is our fastest player according to most media outlets (16/17)

Agree on Martial though...not sure why he wasn't on the list although he didn't play much so maybe they didn't include him