Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Adidas just announced it via the app. This will be official at 7

Real Name

He wouldn't because he has nothing to prove He's done it in England Spain and for Portugal. Messi is only getting backlash because people want to see him in another relevant league since it has been a question mark of how he will perform in another relevant league. Nobody is slaughtering Ramos for going to Psg because nobody has ever cared to ask if Ramos can perform in another tough league
People, what people?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I'd love it if he went mental and said "I've won everything, been the Goat and would love to join a smaller club, help them flourish and change the course of history in terms of establishing teams... I'm going to Leicester for 180k pw."
my friends were saying he should have done this but he’s 34. He just wants one more CL

Classical Mechanic

I still don't understand why they thought that it was a good idea. As good as Ronaldo was he didn't look like a good fit for a team that was that close from the top, his needs didn't match with what they had and it clashed with what Dybala was providing. I could be wrong but I think that it also ruined Dybala by making him an awkward side piece.
Bad financials too. All the eggs in the Ronaldo basket.

RUCK4444

I'm not denying the Ligue 1 is a one team league since Qatar took over PSG but so is bundesliga and serie A.

Juve won the league every season since 2011; for them not to win it last season was a massive upset and resulted from a multitude of factors, Pirlo being at the front of the queue.

In the bundesliga, no one team can really financially compete with Bayern which means Bayern always scavenge other teams' best players and annually stroll the league. Dortmund tried under Klopp but that's it.
Yeah sure I’d agree with you the other two leagues are one horse races as well.

Just with Ligue 1, PSG are just miles ahead without really having a big established club name to guarantee them at least half a challenge every season.

They don’t have a Dortmund or the Milan teams to compete against. Not that it’s a huge mountain for Juve or Bayern to overcome, I agree, but in League 1 they are nailed on to win unless they throw it away like last season.

They do get the odd competitive Monaco or Lyon side to contend with but that lasts a single year and it’s sold off and they start again with no established competition for the league.

RUCK4444

I still don't understand why they thought that it was a good idea. As good as Ronaldo was he didn't look like a good fit for a team that was that close from the top, his needs didn't match with what they had and it clashed with what Dybala was providing. I could be wrong but I think that it also ruined Dybala by making him an awkward side piece.
Bad financials too. All the eggs in the Ronaldo basket.
Didn’t he bag a sh*t load of goals though?

I didn’t see much of him there to be honest. Just from the outside looking in it seems a bit harsh to blame Ronaldo if he’s done his job of banging them in the net.

Giggsyking

Not exactly since the employers also pays contributions on the amount actually spent before you get brut/gross. It's even more significant for CDDs because the difference between gross and net is pretty slim.

Here's the breakdown directly from the government website if anyone is interested (note that his net after tax will be higher than displayed here since, as I mentionned earlier, it doesn't take into account that part of his salary will be paid through image rights taxed differently) :

So he will be paid 950k/week. Yeah that is cheap :lol:. Did you count the sign on bonus or you forget to mention that also? He is getting a 25m sign on bonus. divided on two years his contract length, that is another 12.5m a year.

Giggsyking

What would the Caf define as a successful season for Messi? Winning the CL will be top priority for the club, but as a player, how many goals and assists do we think Messi can get? Someone above said 50 goals and 30 assists across all competitions. Would that be fair? Or do you guys think he can get more?
anything below 40 goals in the farmers league is a failure.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Didn’t he bag a sh*t load of goals though?

I didn’t see much of him there to be honest. Just from the outside looking in it seems a bit harsh to blame Ronaldo if he’s done his job of banging them in the net.
I'm not blaming Ronaldo, Football isn't about one player having good stats but about a team performing at a high level which isn't the case for Juventus mainly because spending on Ronaldo has prevented them from spending where they actually needed and he was a bad fit which has limited the impact of other players. He scores goals for a team that is worse than the one that he joined.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The romantic in me was dying to see him turn his nose at the money at go to Naples.

Or literally anywhere but PSG or City - imagine messi at Dortmund or United or Milan.

Boring option and will only be judged if they win CL.
Napoli, Dortmund and Milan :lol: :lol: Could have least have said Juventus or Bayern.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
What would the Caf define as a successful season for Messi? Winning the CL will be top priority for the club, but as a player, how many goals and assists do we think Messi can get? Someone above said 50 goals and 30 assists across all competitions. Would that be fair? Or do you guys think he can get more?
Who is the best scorer over there recently? I don't watch that league so don't know what's the standard but he surely needs to win the league, perhaps be among the top 5 scorers and assists and that would be a good, yet underwhelming season; not because of him but the league itself. So 50 goals and 30 assists would be quite good for him, PSG is the superior team but I'm not sure how 'easy' or unrealistic those expectations are.

MalcolmTucker

He made the easy decision.

Ronaldo took the harder option going to a competitive league. Greater respect to Ronaldo for that.
Competitive league yet before Ronaldo arrived Juventus had won the league 7 times in a row - it's only been competitive since Ronaldo arrived yet somehow Ronaldo gets credit for essentially 'failing' at Juventus :lol:. They were dominating the league and had been CL finalists twice in the previous 3 seasons before Ronaldo arrived. Now they are 4th and have gone out to Lyon, Ajax and a 10-man Porto and not made it past the quarter finals. PSG aren't even Ligue 1 champions and have a (marginally) worse record than Juventus in the CL in recent times. Both of them took on 'easy' challenges, although compared to most players they are still ambitious moves at their age.

Both players have gone to stacked teams in weaker leagues. Juventus have so far got worse since they signed Ronaldo, remains to be seen whether PSG get better with Messi.

edcunited1878

So he will be paid 950k/week. Yeah that is cheap :lol:. Did you count the sign on bonus or you forget to mention that also? He is getting a 25m sign on bonus. divided on two years his contract length, that is another 12.5m a year.
Can you point out how PSG is affording all this? Hold on...

Crustanoid

Even Messi has now turned to the Plastic movement.

The state of this sport……

It is truly all over

EDIT: and Chelsea, City and PSG supporters condoning this shit. You are a central part of the problem. In fact you enabled the complete implosion of the iconic sport we all love. Nice one

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Both players have gone to stacked teams in weaker leagues. Juventus have so far got worse since they signed Ronaldo, remains to be seen whether PSG get better with Messi.
This might be personal preference but I perceive Serie A as the better league and competition with better football, although it might not be saying too much for people who prefer Premier League. I also rate Bundesliga higher as a league than both Serie A and League 1, despite having an even more dominant team in Bayern Munich.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Because it shouldn’t be about money for Messi. He is one of the highest paid sportsman and his revenue streams would continue long after he stops playing. This isn’t an average low to mid table footballer we’re talking about who is still trying to secure his family’s financial future.

Regardless, if money is the only reason to join PSG, it is an even more disappointing thought.
the money doesn’t hurt but he wants to win one last CL

AlexiV

Supports
FCB
They do get the odd competitive Monaco or Lyon side to contend with but that lasts a single year and it’s sold off and they start again with no established competition for the league.
Lille deserves to be mentioned above those two. Two titles in eleven years against a competetive PSG. Montpellier has also won one since the PSG takeover but they faded. Lyon hasn't even come close since their last in 2008.