Lionel Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
At least he can put his comments here. On the reddit forum, you are forced to praise Messi and abuse Barca. Else get heavily downvoted and thrown out.
In fairness, they've also been hit with a ton of trolls since the news broke. Could be mixed in with that.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Does it need to be 10/11? Away to Arsenal in the CL in 09/10 was a sublime performance. The first half was one of the biggest doings I've ever seen a team take.
The CL win over United in 10/11 would be included, yeah.
The 5-0 Clasico in 10/11 would be another.
Thanks alot!

Not necessarily 2010/11: Doing a work assignment that requires me to show evidence that Barcelona 2009-11 was the best team ever. (which you have done :) )

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Oh, believe me, God is pretty much at fault here.

Anyone that has read me in this thread or related ones knows how much I rated him and wanted him in our club, but if you're the best player in the world, and the best paid at the same time, holding a choke on the club's finances with your contract, you can't play the card of "I'll play for another year" in June and "I want to leave for free" 3 weeks before the season starts, that's a bomb for the club. Not the board, the whole institution.

And I don't even care about how right or wrong the board will be in this saga, Messi has been under 6 different presidents since he joined us, probably 8 different boards and so on, up until a week ago the unnegotiable things in this club were the badge, the stadium, Cruyff and Messi, what's two years of being worse on the UCL when the club has surrounded you with the best available (or the best you asked for) for 15 seasons? as much as he's given to the club, he's been paid handsomely to do so, and in the end, he's not in debt with the fans for anything, but he very well could've guided the club into a new era if he wanted too, he wants to bail? good for him, but it has repercussions on his legacy, he seems glad to accept them so, in the end, he says a lot about his personality and principles.
He has to speak to clarify many things, that is assuming that the club did not know of his intentions for weeks and that even if they do not say it, they may be interested in selling

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
He has to speak to clarify many things, that is assuming that the club did not know of his intentions for weeks and that even if they do not say it, they may be interested in selling
Apparently the club knew since early July. Even Lapaorta who is running in the next election was worried about as early as June of this year.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Anyone that has read me in this thread or related ones knows how much I rated him and wanted him in our club, but if you're the best player in the world, and the best paid at the same time, holding a choke on the club's finances with your contract, you can't play the card of "I'll play for another year" in June and "I want to leave for free" 3 weeks before the season starts, that's a bomb for the club. Not the board, the whole institution.

And I don't even care about how right or wrong the board will be in this saga, Messi has been under 6 different presidents since he joined us, probably 8 different boards and so on, up until a week ago the unnegotiable things in this club were the badge, the stadium, Cruyff and Messi, what's two years of being worse on the UCL when the club has surrounded you with the best available (or the best you asked for) for 15 seasons? as much as he's given to the club, he's been paid handsomely to do so, and in the end, he's not in debt with the fans for anything, but he very well could've guided the club into a new era if he wanted too, he wants to bail? good for him, but it has repercussions on his legacy, he seems glad to accept them so, in the end, he says a lot about his personality and principles.
Messi's a God in Barcelona and rightly so but I have no idea how anyone can be a Barcelona fan and not feel the same way as you do about how he's gone about this.

He should have come out with some sort of statement saying he believes the club needs new blood, that he wanted a new challenge before retiring or anything else really because as of now it looks like he couldn't care less about the dumpster fire he'd be leaving behind despite being at the club for over 15 years.

Wether he leaves or not, he's going to have to give a proper explanation about what's happened.

Paul_Scholes18

I hope Messi tries to leave and then gets banned from playing for City since he didn't follow the rules.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Messi's a God in Barcelona and rightly so but I have no idea how anyone can be a Barcelona fan and not feel the same way as you do about how he's gone about this.

He should have come out with some sort of statement saying he believes the club needs new blood, that he wanted a new challenge before retiring or anything else really because as of now it looks like he couldn't care less about the dumpster fire he'd be leaving behind despite being at the club for over 15 years.
He'll make a statement in the coming week. I wish he'd say something sooner, but the board is awful. I've said this many times in this thread, but if Xavi and Puyol don't want to come for this club because of the board, the fans can sympathize with Messi wanting out of this dumpster fire.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
He'll make a statement in the coming week. I wish he'd say something sooner, but the board is awful. I've said this many times in this thread, but if Xavi and Puyol don't want to come for this club because of the board, the fans can sympathize with Messi wanting out of this dumpster fire.
I'd understand him bailing because of the board.. but the elections are only 6 months from now. Why not stay the last year of his contract, talk to the new board and then decide?

Surely that would be much better than this.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I'd understand him bailing because of the board.. but the elections are only 6 months from now. Why not stay the last year of his contract, talk to the new board and then decide?

Surely that would be much better than this.
I think he feels he barely has 2-3 years left of this level. I too wish he would at least see his contract out. But he always had this clause in his contract because of how this board is. I think after all these humiliations and the need for a rebuild Barca were never going to be in CL title contention this season and possibly next as well.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Apparently the club knew since early July. Even Lapaorta who is running in the next election was worried about as early as June of this year.
I understand (according to the version "there is no clause since 20/21") that it did not matter having said it a month ago or now, but why does he wait so long, communicating with the club in that weird way.
I imagine his father devising a plan months ago

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I understand (according to the version "there is no clause since 20/21") that it did not matter having said it a month ago or now, but why does he wait so long, communicating with the club in that weird way.
I imagine his father devising a plan months ago
I think he wanted to leave prior to Bayern to be honest, probably prior to the second Napoli leg as well. But they also perhaps wanted to make sure their lawyers looked over the contract and that Messi was (in their eyes) free of the contract. Once he got the OK, he dropped the bomb on Barto.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I think he feels he barely has 2-3 years left of this level. I too wish he would at least see his contract out. But he always had this clause in his contract because of how this board is. I think after all these humiliations and the need for a rebuild Barca were never going to be in CL title contention this season and possibly next as well.
I just don't see how a slight increase in the odds of winning one more Champions League title is worth all of this if he cares for Barcelona at all.

Waiting one more year for his contract to run down, giving the club time to prepare for his exit and avoiding any legal dispute would have been such a cleaner way to leave.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Why so bad? They've spent a shedload trying to buy the best players in the world! Perhaps the signings didn't take off immediately as hoped, but its not from a lack of trying?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I just don't see how a slight increase in the odds of winning one more Champions League title is worth all of this if he cares for Barcelona at all.

Waiting one more year for his contract to run down, giving the club time to prepare for his exit and avoiding any legal dispute would have been such a cleaner way to leave.
I hear you, I hate how awful this has become. And even after the 8-2, I thought his family was too settled in Barcelona for him to leave. I just hope he says something soon. I'm sure we will get some news this week as City's director of football and Pep are all in Barcelona. And rumour has it Messi's agent/father are meeting with Barto on Wednesday.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Why so bad? They've spent a shedload trying to buy the best players in the world! Perhaps the signings didn't take off immediately as hoped, but its not from a lack of trying?
Because the technical staff failed miserably. Coutinho plays best in Messi's position, Griezmann's best role doesn't even exist on Barca (and again occupies Messi's space) and I don't fault them for Dembele being injured as he's looked good when healthy. But they've blown 400M on players who either don't fit and like Coutinho have fallen off so hard the team is having a hard time selling them. It's been some stunning incompetence all the way through the board. Might be the worst presidency in Barca history, or it's definitely up there.

Paula

Supports
Bayern
oh man, i still remember the mems of the Barcelona fans "messi ruined and ended Boatengs career", now it more looks like Boateng and his team ruined messis career :D
Sad but true.

Messi and Barce will never be the same, even if he might stay.
Also he lost a lot of recpect

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Because the technical staff failed miserably. Coutinho plays best in Messi's position, Griezmann's best role doesn't even exist on Barca (and again occupies Messi's space) and I don't fault them for Dembele being injured as he's looked good when healthy. But they've blown 400M on players who either don't fit and like Coutinho have fallen off so hard the team is having a hard time selling them. It's been some stunning incompetence all the way through the board. Might be the worst presidency in Barca history, or it's definitely up there.
Understood. For a club with such a clear philosophy and identity, that’s not good. Is that final decisions of football director or the CEO at Barcelona?

which 3 players should they have acquired with £400 in your opinion? Assume mbappe and Neymar are off limits.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Today Marca names several reasons that more or less appear collected in this April article.
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/so...celona-reveals-new-twists-and-turns-1.4227088
Abidal blaming the players for Valverde's sacking and Messi not happy with the forms used with him, as well as the "Barçagate" , the club paying companies to run social media accounts and websites that attacked players and defended Bartomeu.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Understood. For a club with such a clear philosophy and identity, that’s not good. Is that final decisions of football director or the CEO at Barcelona?

which 3 players should they have acquired with £400 in your opinion? Assume mbappe and Neymar are off limits.
it’s not an easy question to answer as we’d have to look at several players from 2017 onward but off the top of my head I’d say some combination Son, De Ligt, Sane and Haaland.

We panic bought coutinho and dembele. Griezmann was another panic buy for someone we didn’t need and was more of a luxury. Real Madrid probably should’ve shored you their frontline as soon as Ronaldo left but at least while they were patient they waited for hazard and then spent the money. While hazard hasn’t paid off for them yet at least they didn’t panic buy and gave themselves options.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Because he's a God in Barcelona. People tend to be irrational when it comes to their Gods

As for him getting out now, like this, well, it's always been clear that clan Messi cares about clan Messi first, and second, and third, and fifth, and barcelona might come a distant sixth...

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
it’s not an easy question to answer as we’d have to look at several players from 2017 onward but off the top of my head I’d say some combination Son, De Ligt, Sane and Haaland.

We panic bought coutinho and dembele. Griezmann was another panic buy for someone we didn’t need and was more of a luxury. Real Madrid probably should’ve shored you their frontline as soon as Ronaldo left but at least while they were patient they waited for hazard and then spent the money. While hazard hasn’t paid off for them yet at least they didn’t panic buy and gave themselves options.
Yeah, Son and Sane from 2018 (with messi @ false 9) feel immediately perfect for Barcelona.

LoneStar

Fair play that he wants to try a new challenge, but the way he’s gone about it does not paint a good picture of him and speaks volumes about his character. At least come out and say what you are thinking to the public.

Understand if it was just some other club he was playing for, but this has been his home for such a long time. Regardless of the outcome, don’t think their relationship would be the same.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Fair play that he wants to try a new challenge, but the way he’s gone about it does not paint a good picture of him and speaks volumes about his character. At least come out and say what you are thinking to the public.

Understand if it was just some other club he was playing for, but this has been his home for such a long time. Regardless of the outcome, don’t think their relationship would be the same.
look at how the board is behaving, it’s a hundred times worse.

LoneStar

look at how the board is behaving, it’s a hundred times worse.
Absolutely, not saying it’s Messi is the only one at fault. Both parties should have done better, but I feel like Messi should have atleast let the fans know what was going on instead of doing things behind the scenes. no ones walking out a winner here.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Absolutely, not saying it’s Messi is the only one at fault. Both parties should have done better, but I feel like Messi should have atleast let the fans know what was going on instead of doing things behind the scenes. no ones walking out a winner here.
I agree, I think Messi will say something soon, just waiting to get the negotiation going as Barca right now are refusing to sell him so it’s awkward.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
See, you can be as tongue-in-cheek as you like, you're still contradicting yourself. So you have to decide, either it's "exclusively down to money" or "others are using money in an even worse way". You can't have it both. I mean, you quite literally agreed that they've been using their money smarter than those clubs with similar expenditures in the last years. You pretty much agreed with me that they're using it smarter than United, PSG and Barca, the remaining question is how smart it actually was.

And yes, Barca did pretty okay until Bartomeu took over. Since then, they've definitely been managed more poorly than City with the Griezmann, Dembele and Coutinho transfers. And PSG made it to a final after defeating Dortmund, Atalanta and Leipzig. This final would've been a must even without the Mbappe and Neymar transfers. City's 17/18 and 18/19 league seasons are bigger accomplishments. They've been the best EPL team in history.
I have not said that they`ve used their money better than PSG, on the contrary I have actually pointed out how PSG has been more successfull than City. It doesn`t count shit for PSG what City has done in the PL because they can`t play in England. You keep mentioning United (very specific circumstances given the post-Fergie vacuum) and Barca (still more successfull than City, terrible squad management since Neymar fiasco) as if they`re the bar to being a "great managed club whichs success is not down to money".
Liverpool, Leicester, Spurs, Southampton, Burnley. I can name 5 clubs off my head in the PL alone that have been "better run" than City. Do you want to know why (apart from Liverpool) they haven`t been as successfull as City? Money. Not because of innovation, not because of progressive thinking, not because of whatever bullshit you bring up that serves as a smokescreen for City`s spending; the difference is money itself.

From the beginning this argument has been about your claim that City`s success has not been down to money but rather because they`ve been "more progressive/innovative/smarter" than others in their club management. I never argued that they`re badly run but that this claim is bullshit and its all down to money. They a) don`t do things that are smarter or different than what others do, b) all these gimmicks that are supposedly signs of their smart modern club management are only possible because they have a shitload of money available and yet they c) still needed Europe`s biggest spending budget by far in the last 10 years to achieve their relative success.

MetoTTT

It will be really hilarious if he's forced to stay and sulking on the wages he is on. :D

DanClancy

If Messi could leave on a free then he could sign a 1 year deal with City then return to Barca next season as a hero?

Pep's Suit

Bayern just tap up under 18's and outbid everyone else due to their financial muscle. They're a very rich club, and have a monopoly on any talent coming up the german ranks. It's a joke really, even if they are a well run club.
Bayern's probably gonna win next BuLi title win something like 30W 3D 1L but suddenly Messi should join them because they're a proper club. However, when Pep chose Bayern it was because he wants it easy and they win the league with anyone in charge. Mental gymnastics of some people here are genuinely hilarious.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

I think it's really sad that things have went this way between both parties but in all honesty, from a non-juristic perspective, I feel Messi is right insisting on the clause. Barca granted him the right to autonomously terminate the contract after the season. Clubs can't just cherry pick which parts of a contract are extended due to Corona and which aren't. Barca wrote in his contract that he is allowed to leave if he wants to after the season and now they refuse him that right. Even if courts ultimately will agree with their interpretation that'll be solely down to legal loopholes which exist only as a result of a contract that didn't consider a prolonged season due to an unexpected global pandemic. In that case, the player carries the whole burden of Corona while the club even profits from it. You could actually argue that Messi waited so long since he didn't want to jeopardize Barca's season finale by activating the clause until June 10. He sure as hell would've been criticized for that, too. So in a way he's currently being punished for focusing on football instead of his future. I understand completely that Messi feels cheated.

There's no way he could've seen this through in a "correct manner" and in a way that's apparently what bothered him the most those last few years: Being presented as a godfather who runs the whole club, chooses managers and formations and so forth. If you criticize him, then for the very act of leaving not for insisting on the clause now, IMO. I can sympathize completely with him doing that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I have not said that they`ve used their money better than PSG, on the contrary I have actually pointed out how PSG has been more successfull than City. It doesn`t count shit for PSG what City has done in the PL because they can`t play in England. You keep mentioning United (very specific circumstances given the post-Fergie vacuum) and Barca (still more successfull than City, terrible squad management since Neymar fiasco) as if they`re the bar to being a "great managed club whichs success is not down to money".
Liverpool, Leicester, Spurs, Southampton, Burnley. I can name 5 clubs off my head in the PL alone that have been "better run" than City. Do you want to know why (apart from Liverpool) they haven`t been as successfull as City? Money. Not because of innovation, not because of progressive thinking, not because of whatever bullshit you bring up that serves as a smokescreen for City`s spending; the difference is money itself.

From the beginning this argument has been about your claim that City`s success has not been down to money but rather because they`ve been "more progressive/innovative/smarter" than others in their club management. I never argued that they`re badly run but that this claim is bullshit and its all down to money. They a) don`t do things that are smarter or different than what others do, b) all these gimmicks that are supposedly signs of their smart modern club management are only possible because they have a shitload of money available and yet they c) still needed Europe`s biggest spending budget by far in the last 10 years to achieve their relative success.
Tbf City management is innovative, they always found different ways to cook numbers like selling footballing asset for their Australian club for 24 million pounds. Good chance it was more than the revenue generated by their Aussie club.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Bayern's probably gonna win next BuLi title win something like 30W 3D 1L but suddenly Messi should join them because they're a proper club. However, when Pep chose Bayern it was because he wants it easy and they win the league with anyone in charge. Mental gymnastics of some people here are genuinely hilarious.
hahaha and I love how Bayern are a proper club despite still having Qatar sponsorship on the sleeves. This oil money moaning is humidors. I don’t like psg or city but money being injected into football is a necessary evil and oil countries have the most to throw away.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
If Messi could leave on a free then he could sign a 1 year deal with City then return to Barca next season as a hero?
If he left on a free the club would be in financial shambles they desperately need 100M from his sale. Wednesday they will begin negotiations

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
oh man, i still remember the mems of the Barcelona fans "messi ruined and ended Boatengs career", now it more looks like Boateng and his team ruined messis career :D
Sad but true.

Messi and Barce will never be the same, even if he might stay.
Also he lost a lot of recpect
no he hasn’t at all, very little criticizing him in public. Boateng was useless in the 8-2 and still gets meme’d about his face plant

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

I'd argue that 199 points in two back to back EPL seasons is a greater achievement than winning the French league and making it to the final by beating Dortmund, Atalanta and Leipzig in the knockout stages - actually, it's much more impressive. Yes, PSG didn't have the chance to replicate that since they don't play in the EPL but as it stands, they bought Neymar and Mbappe and only achieved things they would've achieved regardless. So yeah, among the 3 or 4 top spenders among clubs, City has done best. You keep saying "it's all down to money" when this proves it is obviously not the case but suggests they've been managed better than the other 3. And again, the fact that there are clubs that are successful without such expenditures doesn't mean that City is managed worse. I gave you the example of Dortmund which stole two league titles and one cup from Bayern during a phase in which they made the CL final 3 out of 4 years. Does that mean that Bayern wasn't well run during that time? Of course they were, they implemented a philosophy in their club, pursued a long term vision and operated accordingly.

You keep saying "it's all down to money" which is obviously and undeniably wrong since there are other clubs which had expenditures in similar stratospheres which weren't nearly as successful by doing so. If it actually was all down to money, then they would've been able to buy the same kind of success City had - yet they didn't. Suggesting that City doesn't act differently to the others is also factually wrong. To this date, City's record transfer is KdB with 76m. They didn't participate in the transfer madness that saw supposed world class talents move for 100+m. Ultimately, that was Barcelona's downfall and PSG also has a very imbalanced squad in which Neymar and Mbappe play alongside Choupo-fecking-Moting and Thilo Kehrer. That's bad resource allocation. Also City had a vision from the very beginning of Begiristain's appointment. They wanted to ingrain Barcelona's philosophy into their club, play the same brand of football and bought accordingly. Can you sincerely claim that this is true for United, Barcelona or PSG? Actually I'd say there are only two top clubs in the EPL which have such a clear idea of how they want to play and which kind of players they need: City and Liverpool. City is one of the very few clubs that understood that this shared philosophy is the facilitator of great football and ensures that the sum of a team becomes greater than the sum of it's parts. That's what's innovative for me. You may say that it isn't but should be the basics for every top club out there but unfortunately, most still prefer to gather a number of good individuals and hope they work out together.

Money is the enabler but if it isn't spent wisely it leads to nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.