List of the 30 biggest clubs (by France Football)

Trizy

France Football have compiled a list of the 30 biggest clubs on the planet. Judged over 10 factors.

10 Factors:

1. Number of players in current squad to have won a World Cup
  2. Continent level titles won (eg. Champions League)
  3. Shirts sold per year.
  4. Annual revenue.
  5. Record transfers fee paid.
  6. Average attendance.
  7. Market value of current squad
  8. Ballon d'Or trophies won since 1956
  9. Social media following
  10. Clubs with biggest mythical status.
Mythical Status Tweet posted by @anant

This is the final list.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Top 5 seems fair, but I'd personally nudge Juve up a spot (even if it's at our own expense).

In no world do I consider Chelsea/City bigger than Arsenal & AC Milan, though, and I really don't see the value in that first point (number of players to have won the World Cup in the squad).

Trizy

How did they measure the mythical status?
No idea. Top be fair to the list they got the top 6 right at least. As for City and PSG, they should be all the way down in 22nd and 23rd behind Celtic.

dove

Based on these 10 factors, it seems about right although it's weirdly missing domestic titles? Isn't that important?

Revan

Assumptionman
Hard to disagree with the top 6. I think that Paris is too high, would have swapped it with Milan, maybe Inter is a bit too low too. Though on the other side, the Milan clubs are going the Ajax route of becoming not super relevant in grand scheme of things.

All things considering, it is a very good list.

Trizy

Top 5 seems fair, but I'd personally nudge Juve up a spot (even if it's at our own expense).

In no world do I consider Chelsea/City bigger than Arsenal & AC Milan, though, and I really don't see the value in that first point (number of players to have won the World Cup in the squad).
Fees, Squad value, World Cups.. it's by the French and seems to help PSG.

dove

No idea. Top be fair to the list they got the top 6 right at least. As for City and PSG, they should be all the way down in 22nd and 23rd behind Celtic.
Let's be real, they shouldn't :lol: You could argue that PSG should be behind Chelsea but seriously not Celtic?

Trizy

Let's be real, they shouldn't :lol: You could argue that PSG should be behind Chelsea but seriously not Celtic?
Celtic have won the CL (European cup) and are a historically big club. City and PSG have no history outside of the past 10 years. I'd argue Celtic have twice as many fans as both clubs too.

Revan

Assumptionman

The first thing that came to my mind. However, it needs to be said that both Milan clubs have been total shit since 2010 (in case of Milan a couple of years earlier). They haven't been United after Fergie shit, they have been total shit, more like in the level of Italian Everton (with Serie A being weaker than EPL).

At some stage, Milan and Inter will need to not be considered as elite clubs, same as how Ajax is not considered anymore an elite club.

Chelsea is bigger than Arsenal nowadays. (Far) More trophies won in this century, better team, more attractive to players, a much bigger worldwide following. City probably not yet there, but it is very close.

El Presidente

Seems about right at the top. PSG are never 7th, though. They were founded less than 10 years ago. Also, Monaco? They don't even have an attendance. How is River Plate out of this? Seems pretty biased towards the French clubs but it's no surprise. Inter are pretty big club, too. You are always going to disagree with such kind of rankings but I'd say Top 6 is pretty spot on.

cusmarr

Supports
PSG
They try to mitigate past and present, that's why PSG is 7th.

Revan

Assumptionman
Celtic have won the CL (European cup) and are a historically big club. City and PSG have no history outside of the past 10 years. I'd argue Celtic have twice as many fans as both clubs too.
Absolutely no chance that Celtic has more fans than City worldwide, not even close.

City are becoming a very big club, like it or not.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Milan are on the up, though :drool: I believe.

You're right about Ajax, though. They're in the RO16 in the Champion's League, which is a pretty great achievement when you consider the financial discrepancy between the Eredivisie & the other top leagues. It's a shame, really...

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Laughs at no Porto in the top30. 2 UCL, 2ELs, 2 intercontinental cups, 1 supercup... Bigger than more than half of those clubs.

Trizy

Laughs at no Porto in the top30. 2 UCL, 2ELs, 2 intercontinental cups, 1 supercup... Bigger than more than half of those clubs.
Indeed, definitely on Benficas level of that list.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Need more World Cup winners in the squad, clearly.

Matt007a

It's sad to see a great club like Milan have fallen so far. Historically they're a top 5 team for sure.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Am I the only person that can't see a list ?
I couldn't either. I just see {IMG} (with square brackets)

But if you right-click & "Copy Image Location" you should be able to see it.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Amazing how far Lyon have fallen since the turn of this decade/PSG injection.

flappyjay

The first thing that came to my mind. However, it needs to be said that both Milan clubs have been total shit since 2010 (in case of Milan a couple of years earlier). They haven't been United after Fergie shit, they have been total shit, more like in the level of Italian Everton (with Serie A being weaker than EPL).

At some stage, Milan and Inter will need to not be considered as elite clubs, same as how Ajax is not considered anymore an elite club.

Chelsea is bigger than Arsenal nowadays. (Far) More trophies won in this century, better team, more attractive to players, a much bigger worldwide following. City probably not yet there, but it is very close.
Thank you. People seem to forget that with the availability of football to a worldwide base a team that's won most of its trophies in the last 15 years can speed past some of those historic clubs like celtic. Chelsea for instance have a big fan base in USA and Africa. If I am not wrong they have won more trophies than any other English side in the past 10 years or so

Adebesi

A way to push PSG up the list?

shahzy

Personally for what its worth, I think Pool are a bigger club than Juve.

TheLiverBird

5 of the Premier Leagues top 6 making the top 10

Overall I think the top half of the list is somewhat there abouts what I’d imagine, but it is crazy when you think of some of the Giants that have fallen, and fallen hard

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Amazing how far Lyon have fallen since the turn of this decade/PSG injection.
Not really, Lyon haven't been a big club in french football history outside of the 2000s and they are only popular in Lyon.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Seems about right at the top. PSG are never 7th, though. They were founded less than 10 years ago. Also, Monaco? They don't even have an attendance. How is River Plate out of this? Seems pretty biased towards the French clubs but it's no surprise. Inter are pretty big club, too. You are always going to disagree with such kind of rankings but I'd say Top 6 is pretty spot on.
Where is that from?

crossy1686

career ending
Based on these 10 factors, it seems about right although it's weirdly missing domestic titles? Isn't that important?
Juventus have won 36 domestic titles. At what point do you decide the weight of the league in each country? It's easier to discount it, especially in one horse leagues where the title has little to no value in Europe.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

For those asking about the mythical status computation

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020