Liverpool 19/20 Vs City 17/18

RedStarUnited

When we look back in 20+ years time, who would be considered the better team? As a reminder, City have Liverpool beat in a few categories;

- Goal difference (79 vs 48) > Liverpool wont catch them.
- Goals scored (106 vs 76) > Doubt Liverpool will get close to it.
- Goals conceded (27 vs 29) > Can only get worse for Liverpool.
- More points (100 vs 99) > If Liverpool win every game left.
- Matches lost (2 vs 3) > Can only get worse for Liverpool.
-Matches won (32 vs 30) > at best Liverpool can match it.

I cant believe Liverpool ruined their chances at having a truly unmatched season. They will probably never get close to it again.

PoTMS

City had Liverpool snapping at their heels all season whereas the motivation is gone for Liverpool with the title wrapped up. But yes, that City were definitely a better team than this Liverpool side. Hell, even the Liverpool side last season were better than the one that won the Premier League.

Paul_Scholes18

I think that City side had lots of luck in games that set them up for it early on. Pool have VAR with them all season or up to the final part.
I think all of that will be forgotten and people will remember the better games.

The City side will be remembered for the attack more and they also won the league cup I think. Pool only had the league win.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Pep's 17-18 with City remains his league masterpiece. Probably the best PL season of all time in decades to come. Other than the 0 defeats of Arsenal in 03-04.

Liverpool deflated weeks ago when they got the title.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I'd rather think that in 20 years time we're comparing Liverpool 19/20 vs Leicester 15/16 vs Blackburn 94/95.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
City had Liverpool snapping at their heels all season whereas the motivation is gone for Liverpool with the title wrapped up. But yes, that City were definitely a better team than this Liverpool side. Hell, even the Liverpool side last season were better than the one that won the Premier League.
25 points behind is 'snapping at their heels'?!

I've genuinely heard it all now.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Not true we had Joses United as competition until December. Liverpool were last season.

Gazza

Manchester United won the league by 18 points in 1999/2000. Liverpool haven’t done anything new this season, really.

RedStarUnited

You are thinking of the wrong year. Liverpool chased City last year, the year City set those records is the season before.

montpelier

When we look back in 20+ years time, who would be considered the better team? As a reminder, City have Liverpool beat in a few categories;

- Goal difference (79 vs 48) > Liverpool wont catch them.
- Goals scored (106 vs 76) > Doubt Liverpool will get close to it.
- Goals conceded (27 vs 29) > Can only get worse for Liverpool.
- More points (100 vs 99) > If Liverpool win every game left.
- Matches lost (2 vs 3) > Can only get worse for Liverpool.
-Matches won (32 vs 30) > at best Liverpool can match it.

I cant believe Liverpool ruined their chances at having a truly unmatched season. They will probably never get close to it again.
The problem with just looking at the numbers is one is a competing to win season and the other isn't.

Even beyond that the structures of each season don't relate either.

And it's City anyway. Liverpool's 2nd is probably better than their first too.

RedStarUnited

Manchester United won the league by 18 points in 1999/2000. Liverpool haven’t done anything new this season, really.
Thats crazy. Apart from the earliest winners, what record have they actually set this year?

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
City 100% for me.

Say all you want about Liverpool but here's the truth in my eyes.

Liverpool are competing only for the EPL, nothing more. I'd take a side that won the title on 75 points and that wins the CL and the FA Cup over a side that wins the league by 100 points.

The reason SAFs sides were so great wasn't because of their EPL points, it was because year on year he kept the team hungry, they won title after title, they won doubles, trebles and they competed every year for everything.

A Liverpool side winning a CL and then a League the following season... whilst not competing for anything else is hardly 'the greatest side ever', how can you compare a side that wins something in their prime, versus a team that wins year on year? this Liverpool side is very good but it's not even in the top 5 EPL sides in my books.

Congratulations Liverpool, and well done Klopp but honestly the team has a long way to go, judge a team by what it does over it's generation versus over 2 years.

I don't judge a movie series by its greatest movie, I judge it by the whole series/trilogy.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The reason SAFs sides were so great wasn't because of their EPL points, it was because year on year he kept the team hungry, they won title after title, they won doubles, trebles and they competed every year for everything.
The thing that people seem to overlook is that Pep and Klopp are trivial and petty with trying to break all the league records.

Every time Sir Alex and his United won the league at a canter with loads of games left, he would take his foot off the gas, experiment, play squad players and give loads of youth players a game.

Sir Alex didn’t care about trivial records, he only cared about winning the trophies. His teams could have easily broken a load of records and points totals at the time, but he didn’t seem to care and liked to rest his best players.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The thing that people seem to overlook is that Pep and Klopp are trivial and petty with trying to break all the league records.

Every time Sir Alex and his United won the league at a canter with loads of games left, he would take his foot off the gas, experiment, play squad players and give loads of youth players a game.

SAF didn’t care about trivial records, he only cared about winning the trophies.
Yeah but nobody will talk about Sir Alex's gegenpressing.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
City were a better side and to be honest I think City will win the Premiership again next year at a canter.

Cliche Guevara

The mask is beginning to slip from both of these cnuts.

All manner of unsavoury elements, particularly doping, and unbelievable protection from referees not yet catching up with the most questionable practices of these sides have unquestionably played their part.

I can’t give much real credit to either side.

That said City are clearly the better football team.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
It’s worth noting that we’ve waited 30 years for this, so you take it how it comes.

But City’s 100 points is for me the best individual league season in the Premier League era. They were also more dominant in games than we have been.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
That City side are the best seen in the PL, and by some considerable distance.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Hmmm

I'd say 17/18 City takes it, though it's close

Funnily enough, both of their 18/19 versions were better imo

arnie_ni

This liverpool team isnt even as good as last seasons i dont think

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
This liverpool team isnt even as good as last seasons i dont think
It's not, that's the funny thing!!
They played better football last season and were harder to beat, yet they didn't win the league!!
Yet this season they have mostly been a long ball/cross team yet won the league.
Lots of reasons, mainly VAR, but also the lack of competition for them this year.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Sir Alex didn’t care about trivial records, he only cared about winning the trophies. His teams could have easily broken a load of records and points totals at the time, but he didn’t seem to care and liked to rest his best players.
I don't think he rested players, he wanted as many players to get a league medal as possible, so played the fringe players as much as possible when we had won!
With Klopps changes its clear he wants to win the game.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
25 wins 1 draw in their first 26 games...they had no competition in part because they destroyed it

But i agree, they were better last season. Lots of things went their way this season to put that run together.

Still a monstrous team though

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Today was a huge moment for us, now that they can't catch our points total. One more thing in our favour too, at least in my opinion, our football is far better on the eye. It's not a quantifiable aspect but it's important.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Today was a huge moment for us, now that they can't catch our points total. One more thing in our favour too, at least in my opinion, our football is far better on the eye. It's not a quantifiable aspect but it's important.
You’ll probably retain it next year. All you need is to keep Laporte fit and buy another CB to go alongside him.

The five subs rule will help out with the quality in your squad too.

AshRK

Ok I will say it Liverpool 18/19 were better than this season's Liverpool

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
You’ll probably retain it next year. All you need is to keep Laporte fit and buy another CB to go alongside him.

The five subs rule will help out with the quality in your squad too.
The 5 subs rule is an odd change. Should only be 3 plus 2 academy players.

Dante

Average bang
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Liverpool didn't dominate the entire league season; they only dominated from August to March. That was the length of their dynasty and now it's over.

F-A-C-T-S

Can't find any relevant thread for Liverpool 20/21.
Anyway I had a horrible epiphany and woke up with a jolt. But if they win the league this season. That's 20. Does that mean they are the most successful club in English Football History? Maybe I'm being petty but it really pisses me off. Also think they'll win C.L and go joint 2nd with Milan. Now that would be a disaster!

ExecutionerWasp001

Can't find any relevant thread for Liverpool 20/21.
Anyway I had a horrible epiphany and woke up with a jolt. But if they win the league this season. That's 20. Does that mean they are the most successful club in English Football History?
Not sure on the total trophy hauls of both clubs. The only titles that really matter though at the end of the day are League Titles & European Cups. They will take their perch back if they win the League this season as they have more European Cups.

The League looks like it's going to be complete gash to me, as it has been for the last few seasons. The only way i see them not winning it this year would be due to injuries/suspensions or complacency.

DRM

Not sure on the total trophy hauls of both clubs. The only titles that really matter though at the end of the day are League Titles & European Cups. They will take their perch back if they win the League this season as they have more European Cups.

The League looks like it's going to be complete gash to me, as it has been for the last few seasons. The only way i see them not winning it this year would be due to injuries/suspensions or complacency.

Aye, they have it wrapped up before its got going! Sigh...united fans are in for a few more depressing seasons ahead!