Liverpool 2018/19

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Felt inappropriate to bump the old thread.
Could be looking at a front six of
Fabinho, Keita, Fekir, Mane, Salah and Firmino.
As Pogue said in the other thread, they're a team who has been getting the best out of their signings so far. Are they going to be significantly better than last year. Especially in the league?

Adisa

Mods please delete this or the other. Don't know why the thread got posted twice.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
They will finish 4-6th. They wont do anywhere near as well in the CL.

They will mange to produce some hilarious moments along the way.

Their new goalie will be a clown. It's the poisoned chalice at this stage.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Allison
Clyne Aldeweirald VvD Robertson
Fabinho Keita Fekir
Salah Firmino Mane

Is not finish 4th-6th ffs. :lol::houllier:

Raw

If their new signings gel relatively quickly, they'll be right up there. Midfield is much stronger, now they'll need a couple of defensive reinforcements and they're set.

I do wonder if they'll keep their faith in Karius.

waza7111

So the Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson will become a bench player?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Too early to predict where we'll end. If we manage to get Allison (or at least a half decent keeper), a CB and most importantly a good forward, we can be optimistic.

cyberman

Allison
Fabinho Keita Fekir
Salah Firmino Mane

Its the players behind the starting 11 that could see you finish below the Manchester clubs and a Chelsea side who aren't fusses about the EL.
If you're still bringing Ings off the bench then you're fecked.

PhilMcD79

I can't believe everyone is getting so worried about Liverpool next season. They are basically Spurs but with more comedy value and taking themselves a lot more seriously. They'll always find new and interesting ways not to win.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Still nearly 2.5 months left in the transfer market, so there will be lot of players signed and sold at every other club too. So very early to make the call.

Hopefully Salah will prove to be one season wonder.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
They need cover for Mane Salah and Firmino.

They guys made an 103 out of a possible 114 appearances in the PL. Quite impressive.

They need some quality backup or else they are totally dependent on these guys making a similar number of appearances.

They need better than Ings,Sturridge and Solanke.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
They need cover for Mane Salah and Firmino.

They guys made an 103 out of a possible 114 appearances in the PL. Quite impressive.

They need some quality backup or else they are totally dependent on these guys making a similar number of appearances.

They need better than Ings,Sturridge and Solanke.
That's a good point. Fekir can cover in there but we do need one more just in case. Lemar has not been ruled out. And you all know about the Dembele loan link and Pulisic interest.

Solanke will go back to youth/loan. He had his big chances and didn't scream "play me, I'm brilliant!". Sturridge sold or loaned. Ings too though there's been no noises about him.

I think we'll get one more talented and proven player to cover the front three.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Goals for next season:

- Another top 4 finish | We're not good enough to win the league imo, but finishing in the top 4 again is a must. Couldn't care less whether it's 2nd or 4th, unless 2nd means that we've mounted a title challenge or ran the champions close.

- Another cup final | Winning a final often depends on details and I'm not ready to label our season as a failure if we don't win a trophy, but we should reach another final, don't care in which competition. I think it's time we finally get into the latter stages of the FA Cup under Klopp as well.

- Champions League QFs | At a minimum, we should be getting out of the group and beating the first opponent in the knock-out stages unless we immediately face a European giant.

Preferred squad to start the season:

New GK
Trent New CB Van Dijk Robertson
Fabinho
Fekir Keita
Salah Firmino Mane
On paper, that XI is good enough to compete for the title, but it's what comes after them that will determine how our season unfolds. We need a good backup for Firmino, enough options in midfield (Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum and Ox when fit is a start) and decent CB and fullback cover. Rotation without too much of a drop-off in quality is key, and I'd like to see our front three get a bit more rest than this season where possible.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
That's a good point. Fekir can cover in there but we do need one more just in case. Lemar has not been ruled out. And you all know about the Dembele loan link and Pulisic interest.

Solanke will go back to youth/loan. He had his big chances and didn't scream "play me, I'm brilliant!". Sturridge sold or loaned. Ings too though there's been no noises about him.

I think we'll get one more talented and proven player to cover the front three.
As it stands the only guaranteed signings you have made thus far is that of Keita and Fabinho, both unproven and relatively unknown quantities in relation to the premier league and the entirely different challenges it possesses. You're assuming their transition will run smoothly and without issue when the reality is quite the opposite. Based on the frankly to numerous to mention signings that failed to adapt to the premier league's physical nature and/or gel with their team mates, there is every reason to suggest they will fail rather than succeed.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch and all that.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
As it stands the only guaranteed signings you have made thus far is that of Keita and Fabinho, both unproven and relatively unknown quantities in relation to the premier league and the entirely different challenges it possesses. You're assuming their transition will run smoothly and without issue when the reality is quite the opposite. Based on the frankly to numerous to mention signings that failed to adapt to the premier league's and/or gel with their team mates, there is every reason to suggest they will fail rather than succeed.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch and all that.
The "unproven in the PL" thing is an absolute myth :rolleyes: If you'e good enough, you're good enough.

Sanchez was proven, look how good he's been for you.

Adisa

Goals for next season:

- Another top 4 finish | We're not good enough to win the league imo, but finishing in the top 4 again is a must. Couldn't care less whether it's 2nd or 4th, unless 2nd means that we've mounted a title challenge or ran the champions close.

- Another cup final | Winning a final often depends on details and I'm not ready to label our season as a failure if we don't win a trophy, but we should reach another final, don't care in which competition. I think it's time we finally get into the latter stages of the FA Cup under Klopp as well.

- Champions League QFs | At a minimum, we should be getting out of the group and beating the first opponent in the knock-out stages unless we immediately face a European giant.

New GK
Fabinho
Fekir Keita
Salah Firmino Mane
On paper, that XI is good enough to compete for the title, but it's what comes after them that will determine how our season unfolds. We need a good backup for Firmino, enough options in midfield (Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum and Ox when fit is a start) and decent CB and fullback cover. Rotation without too much of a drop-off in quality is key, and I'd like to see our front three get a bit more rest than this season where possible.
Four how long will just top 4 be Liverpool's target?
Think you guys need to put up a challenge.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Goals for next season:

New GK
Fabinho
Fekir Keita
Salah Firmino Mane
Quite modest expectations for a club ready to spend around 200m in the summer.

I think you should challenge for the league but whether Klopp is capable of doing that in England is another matter.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Allison
Fabinho Keita Fekir
Salah Firmino Mane

Clyne is not better than TAA and will be lucky to make the bench if we get the targets we need. as I see it Fabinho has made him obsolete. If Something was to happen to TAA we can always put Fabinho there and put in Henderson as the 6.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool

I think you should challenge for the league but whether Klopp is capable of doing that in England is another matter.
It's all relative though. City are getting Mahrez as a rotation player for 75m! If you guys get who you're linked with you're on target to spend 200m as well , around 500m in total for Mourinho since his time with you..

We're all playing catchup to city, spending 200m still doesn't give us a squad comparable to City's. We should challenge but i still think City will be too strong.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's all relative though. City are getting Mahrez as a rotation player for 75m! If you guys get who you're linked with you're on target to spend 200m as well , around 500m in total for Mourinho since his time with you..

We're all playing catchup to city, spending 200m still doesn't give us a squad comparable to City's. We should challenge but i still think City will be too strong.
We spent 200m less than City last season, it didn't stop everyone in the media from complaining when we were 2n and out the title race early on.

The marginal Utility from buying 75m transfers goes down when you keep doing it but the initial big purchases elevate the side massively. As I say what you seemingly spend this year should warrant a title challenge. If not its a big failure, considering the quality on XI isn't that far off between your talent and ours/City. This in itself is a massive compliment to your transfers since Klopp came because you did it on a fraction of the budget.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Four how long will just top 4 be Liverpool's target?
Think you guys need to put up a challenge.

I'm really thinking long-term here. Aside from whether Klopp will win anything at Liverpool or not, he will leave us with an infinitely better squad than when he joined us, and that is very important for me. We have young players with potential, budding stars and bona fide superstars at the moment, while you only need to go back 5 years or so to see us stacked with players like Carroll, Downing, Adam, Jovanovic, Shelvey and Bellamy, which are all midtable team players at best.

In the 6 seasons before Klopp, going back to the 09/10 season, we managed just one CL qualification and that was the Rodgers' freak season when Suarez played out of his mind. Before that, we missed the CL only once in 10 years. The sign of a big club is perpetually competing in the CL and we haven't done that for a long time, so for me that was the #1 priority which Klopp had to fix. Winning the league is damn hard, especially when the difference between the champions and the chasing pack is as big as it was last year and it looks like City will strenghten themselves once again this offseason. A title challenge is a bonus for me - if you apply your own logic to United, Jose should've been able to mount a title challenge this year as well, which he didn't do.

I'd rather Klopp establishes us as a proper big club in Europe again (hence why I think it's crucial to play in the CL every year) than that he flukes one trophy and we'll be back to average after he leaves. If you keep improving, I'd hope we will reap the rewards rather sooner than later when we win a trophy here and there. Winning a league is damn hard, and I also think Klopp teams are better suited to cup competitions than league campaigns (signing Fabinho is a good sign to fix that though imo), so we'll just see where it all takes us. After so many years of mediocrity after Benitez though, I'll take this progress and I'm really enjoying our style of football in the process. That's why saying "he needs to win something next season or he'll have failed" is a little short-sighted for me, since he has already done so much for the club since he's been here - the belief, the enjoyment, the optimism that surrounds the club is great and we lacked that for a long time before him. Once again, of course I hope this will ultimately culminate into a trophy, but for now I'm still happy where it's going.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Felt inappropriate to bump the old thread.
Could be looking at a front six of
Fabinho, Keita, Fekir, Mane, Salah and Firmino.
As Pogue said in the other thread, they're a team who has been getting the best out of their signings so far. Are they going to be significantly better than last year. Especially in the league?
If we get our targets, i.e Fekir, CB(Lascelles?), Alisson, Pulisic then we will likely finish top 3. I just don't see us being consistent enough to amass 92+ points which it will take to seriously challenge City.

I think if our signings work out, we will get points in the mid 80s. We don't need Salah to have the type of season he was having for us to finish top 3, I think about 15-20 goals should be manageable for each of our front 3. Coutinho was also on course for around 20 goals this season, I think he had 12 before he left, I'm sure Fekir can match those numbers, given his best scoring seasons have such stats.

Depth will remain an issue especially pertaining to our front 3, but realisitically, I think that needs another window after this one.

I expect 82+ points assuming we get our targets.
A good run in the CL think we should be aiming for Semis at least, all the top clubs arent as good as they used to be.
A run in the FA Cup, possibly win it. Would be very important for our club and our squad, we've starved of success.
League Cup? I don't Carabou it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
They usually have a slump after a good season.

I can see something like that happening again.
That’s usually been caused by us losing a key player/having a bad window.

2002: Didn’t sign Anelka. Signed Diouf, Diao and Cheyrou instead.

2009: Sold Alonso, replaces him with Aquilani. Also replaced Hyypia with Kyriagkos.

2014: Suarez left, replaced him with Lambert, Balotelli etc.

Those are the three main occasions where we’ve fallen apart after a good season. They were all followed by awful transfer windows.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I agree with @VP89

Liverpool have spent £170m on VVD, Keita and Fabinho and are looking to add Fekir and a goal keeper. Fekir is going for £60m and a goalkeeper will cost a pretty penny as well. You're looking at close to £300m outlay in less than a year with a net spend of £150m.

You can't spend that much money and claim to be minnows and little guys. You'll have the same expectations as Chelsea, United and City and that is to challenge for the league.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I agree with @VP89

Liverpool have spent £170m on VVD, Keita and Fabinho and are looking to add Fekir and a goal keeper. Fekir is going for £60m and a goalkeeper will cost a pretty penny as well. You're looking at close to £300m outlay in less than a year with a net spend of £150m.

You can't spend that much money and claim to be minnows and little guys. You'll have the same expectations as Chelsea, United and City and that is to challenge for the league.
A fair assessment.

No excuses then.

iKnowNothing

2 new players will help Liverpool but they still need to improve their bench strength of they're going to be challenging over multiple tournaments.

I don't think Salah will be able to replicate this season. So they will need goals from elsewhere. Addressing their defensive midfield is a good start as they cannot afford to just try and outscore their opponents all the time.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
That’s usually been caused by us losing a key player/having a bad window.

2002: Didn’t sign Anelka. Signed Diouf, Diao and Cheyrou instead.

2009: Sold Alonso, replaces him with Aquilani.

2014: Suarez left, replaced him with Lambert, Balotelli etc.

Those are the three main occasions where we’ve fallen apart after a good season. They were all followed by awful transfer windows.
That's why your GK signing will be so important. Not necessarily a guarantee either that they would hit the ground running.

I expect the same for you as I do United. Decent cup runs, no proper challenge for the league due to dropped points consistently against the smaller sides.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I agree with @VP89

It's better to be realistic about it rather than expecting a title challenge when in reality you're nowhere near good enough to do so like United last season. There's no way Chelsea will challenge for the league next season either.

Cal?

CR7 fan
That's why your GK signing will be so important. Not necessarily a guarantee either that they would hit the ground running.

I expect the same for you as I do United. Decent cup runs, no proper challenge for the league due to dropped points consistently against the smaller sides.
Has Buffon signed for anyone yet?