Liverpool barred from playing CL match in Leipzig

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It was obvious travel restrictions would make European competitions unviable in the near future. It’s completely irresponsible to have them go ahead.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It was obvious travel restrictions would make European competitions unviable in the near future. It’s completely irresponsible to have them go ahead.
There's currently a meaningless tournament being held in Japan too.

All of the footballing bodies were too reluctant to give up their competitions.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It's pretty amazing, because the fact that German authorities barred the Liverpool team from entering Germany now means Leipzig themselves have to find a location and venue where the game can take place (and also pay for it..), if they fail they risk losing the game a default 0-3..
UEFA is demanding that the game take place in a UEFA member country, but apart from demanding stuff they're apparently not involved in organizing their own competition or finding solutions for problems the pandemic creates for it.

Options are scarce to find a place where both teams can enter without serious administrative problems, Leipzig will probably have to concede their home advantage to play both games in Liverpool, or find a neutral venue in the UK.
Gladbach will be facing a similar problem with City.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The opportunity to play both games at Anfield should have them foaming at the mouths.

RoyH1

UEFA as always in their own reality, prioritizing money over anything else.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's pretty amazing, because the fact that German authorities barred the Liverpool team from entering Germany now means Leipzig themselves have to find a location and venue where the game can take place (and also pay for it..), if they fail they risk losing the game a default 0-3..
UEFA is demanding that the game take place in a UEFA member country, but apart from demanding stuff they're apparently not involved in organizing their own competition or finding solutions for problems the pandemic creates for it.

Options are scarce to find a place where both teams can enter without serious administrative problems, Leipzig will probably have to concede their home advantage to play both games in Liverpool, or find a neutral venue in the UK.
They could request Wembley

ShinjiNinja26

It would be very unfair on Leipzig if they have to play both games at Anfield. I think the only fair thing to do in that scenario is to give Liverpool a 6 goal deficit, that should even things out.

Actually Just do that regardless of where they are playing.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Should at least be allowed to forfeit at 0-0 in these circumstances.

Rarely difficult. There’s the potential to reverse the tie, and play at Anfield first, and hope the restrictions don’t get extended, and then they can play in Germany.

Oranges038

So, let me get this right.

Liverpool aren't allowed to enter Germany from England because of this variant of the virus which the Germans don't want coming into the country.

But the German team can go to England to play the game and then presumably go back to Germany and potentially bring it back with them anyway.

hubbuh

Surely they're looking at cutting down the ties to one legged matches?
One-legged affairs at neutral grounds is surely the fairest option. Although maybe the neutral ground bit will be too much effort to coordinate?

GledTheRed

Liverpool aren't allowed to enter Germany from England because of this variant of the virus which the Germans don't want coming into the country.

But the German team can go to England to play the game and then presumably go back to Germany and potentially bring it back with them anyway.
That's my take, absolutely bonkers!

Crustanoid

Play it virtually? Neither team travels and plays their own reserves?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

Logic hasn't been a strong point for governments in the last year.

Said variant will just evolve in Germany regardless too.

Part of the problem is geographic naming of variants, clades which is a totally stupid way of refering to them.

This game will just be played at a neutral venue.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
UEFA running away from their responsibilities here.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC

Dortmund and Bayern too no? Or will it be fine around that time since it’ll be another 3-4 weeks?

Oranges038

Logic hasn't been a strong point for governments in the last year.

Said variant will just evolve in Germany regardless too.

Part of the problem is geographic naming of variants, clades which is a totally stupid way of refering to them.

This game will just be played at a neutral venue.
Nope it hasn't, but this sort of thing should be resolved before it even becomes a news story. UEFA and the club's are obviously aware of the regulations. I can only assume UEFA have set deadlines for these games to played to make sure the season is finished in time for the Euros to kick off and are reluctant to change anything.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Dortmund and Bayern too no? Or will it be fine around that time since it’ll be another 3-4 weeks?
As far as I understand, the problem with Liverpool is that at the moment, the UK is on a special list due to the newer variant of the virus being prominent there (called "virus-variant areas"..), and so far Spain or Italy are not

GMoore23

We should withdraw from the Europa league citing covid concerns and put our full effort into the league.

Blackwidow

And the current lockdown status ends after the Leipzig-Liverpool match but before the Gladbach-City match.

acnumber9

From what I read, Leipzig’s players would be expected to quarantine. It’s not workable.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Denying foreigners entry (or rather the privilege to play a a game of football) and denying people re-entry to their country of residence are two different things.
Lack of EU membership might also play a role.
It's not like authorities are devising guidelines for this match, they simply chose not to grant Leipzig an exception.

RashyForPM

Play in a neutral country and venue where the virus has no mutations. One legged tie, because two games at Anfield or even the decider at Anfield would be an utter disgrace and ruin the integrity of this season’s CL there and then.

Siorac

Denying foreigners entry and denying people re-entry to their country of residence are two different things.
It's not like authorities are devising guidelines for this match, they simply chose not to grant Leipzig an exception.
But surely if there are travel restrictions FROM the UK then it would make sense to restrict travel TO the UK as well?

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
As far as I understand, the problem with Liverpool is that at the moment, the UK is on a special list due to the newer variant of the virus being prominent there (called "virus-variant areas"..), and so far Spain or Italy are not
Oh that makes sense then. Thanks for the info.

Oranges038

Denying foreigners entry (or rather the privilege to play a a game of football) and denying people re-entry to their country of residence are two different things.
It is. But it's no different than the rules you would apply to your own house. You don't want people coming over from somewhere in case they bring it with them. But it's ok to allow people go there and back again?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
But surely if there are travel restrictions FROM the UK then it would make sense to restrict travel TO the UK as well?
I'm not sure you can tell people to what destination they are allowed to leave your county and I'm not sure why a country would care as long as they enforce their protocols when they try to re-enter.

Oldyella

Yeah, madness.

Edit - And to add, I'm kind of glad other countries are taking steps like these. Really ram home what a shit job we are making of Coronavirus in the uk.