London 2012 - Track & Field/Athletics

eric le roi

That photo will be on the front cover of every paper in the country, if not the world, tomorrow. Amazing.

Andrew~

I have to say I don't really understand the Bolt love-in. He's an extremely talented sprinter, the best ever, but he comes across to me like an absolute twat.

eric le roi

@sammsky - found this re: Mo Farah:

Seven days before this race, on Super Saturday, he had shared the glory with Jessica Ennis and others in Team GB as they won six golds. After that race, a reporter dared to ask if he would rather be running in the colours of Somalia. “Not at all mate,” said Farah in his London accent. “This is my country.”

Sw33t

I have to say I don't really understand the Bolt love-in. He's an extremely talented sprinter, the best ever, but he comes across to me like an absolute twat.
Are you fecking mad? :lol:

He genuinely comes across as one of the nicest athletes. He's constantly thanking everyone deeply for support, help, training etc etc. He always puts on a show for everyone to make sure they enjoy themselves. Just a cool, confident character.

I don't know how you can not like him tbh.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yeah, I suppose in between constantly thanking the fans, and britain (and Birmingham) and praising his teammates and other athletes, and celebrating with fans, and paying respect to other nations National Anthems, and generally look like he's having enjoying himself and having a laugh 99% of the time... he's a right twat.

Andrew~

Are you fecking mad? :lol:

He genuinely comes across as one of the nicest athletes. He's constantly thanking everyone deeply for support, help, training etc etc. He always puts on a show for everyone to make sure they enjoy themselves. Just a cool, confident character.

I don't know how you can not like him tbh.
Like I said, this is just how he comes across to me. I don't follow sprinting at all, but from what I have seen, most of his behaviour is extremely crass and attention-seeking. He doesn't need to be like that, he's already the fastest man to have ever lived, he doesn't have the class of someone like David Rudisha or Mo Farah - who are equally as dominant in their fields as he is.

Even a fellow sprinter like Tyson Gay shows more class than him. You're free to disagree with this, but that's just the impression he gives me.

eric le roi

Like I said, this is just how he comes across to me. I don't follow sprinting at all, but from what I have seen, most of his behaviour is extremely crass and attention-seeking. He doesn't need to be like that, he's already the fastest man to have ever lived, he doesn't have the class of someone like David Rudisha or Mo Farah - who are equally as dominant in their fields as he is.

Even a fellow sprinter like Tyson Gay shows more class than him. You're free to disagree with this, but that's just the impression he gives me.
You must be a barrel of laughs.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing

Easy V

Bolt puts a smile on your face the moment he comes on your TV, and you can see the same look on the face of everybody that he comes into contact with. He is hugely respectful to his fellow athletes and takes his time to interact with the crowd, who, like most people, love his "antics". He puts on a show, because it's what people want to see, and because he's incredibly laid-back and cool. What exactly has he done that is in any way crass?

Member 39557

Bolt's OK and a poster boy for clean athletes. Personally I thought Rudisha's 800m was the standout performance of the games and Kirani James in the 400m seems to be another performance to have not been given its due.
Rudisha was amazing. Kirani James has so much potential for a youngster too.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Bolt puts a smile on your face the moment he comes on your TV, and you can see the same look on the face of everybody that he comes into contact with. He is hugely respectful to his fellow athletes and takes his time to interact with the crowd, who, like most people, love his "antics". He puts on a show, because it's what people want to see, and because he's incredibly laid-back and cool. What exactly has he done that is in any way crass?
Sky News were slating Bolt for being Arrogant in comparison to Farrah.

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
Bolt's too alpha, that's why many don't like his demeanour. The guy has time for everybody and is cool as feck.

Andrew~

:rolleyes:

What are you guys, 12? Do you really need to see a grown man doing stupid gesticulations to find sport entertaining? Let me guess, you watch football for the goal celebrations too?

Bolt's OK and a poster boy for clean athletes. Personally I thought Rudisha's 800m was the standout performance of the games and Kirani James in the 400m seems to be another performance to have not been given its due.
This is a good point, and as I said previously, he's an amazing athlete. I just prefer characters like Rudisha, who is just as amazing an athlete without all the 'zazz'.

Waltraute

She-Devil
Watching Bolt run is the definition of joy, and he seems like a truly nice person.

If you honestly think he's a twat -- not just a bit silly; not my cup of tea with the antics -- I don't know whether to envy you or pity you. Even Storey thinks he's 'OK'. :lol:

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
Watching Bolt run is the definition of joy, and he seems like a truly nice person.

If you honestly think he's a twat -- not just a bit silly; not my cup of tea with the antics -- I don't know whether to envy you or pity you. Even Storey thinks he's 'OK'. :lol:
You haven't responded to my PM from a few months back :(

OB

I don't know why you think he's a twat. He might seem cocky and stuff, but he's so respectable, and always a nice guy. I don't remember anything he's done deserving hatred. He's just having fun most times.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
Farah's race was amazing. Thought he'd tire, certianly thought he'd lost it when the Ethiopian was gaining ground in the final straight. What an achievement.

Easy V

:rolleyes:

What are you guys, 12? Do you really need to see a grown man doing stupid gesticulations to find sport entertaining? Let me guess, you watch football for the goal celebrations too?
Muhammad Ali was cocky, arrogant, big-headed, whatever you want to call him. He disrespected, belittled and embarrassed his opponents outside the ring. He also just so happened to be one of the greatest of all-time in his particular field, so had that to back it up. People loved him, he caught the attention of people who had previously held absolutely no interest in boxing, and he did it through his charisma, wit and charm.

You might not see it, but Usain Bolt is all of those things; except unlike Ali, he is completely respectful of his fellow athletes. People tune in, to see Usain Bolt. They fill stadiums and they cheer for him, louder than for any British athlete, in a British stadium, at a British Olympics.

There have been lots of truly great sportsmen, but there's a reason why, if you asked your average person on the street to name a great boxer, they would say Muhammad Ali and not Sugar Ray Robinson or Rocky Marciano. And there's a reason why people will remember Usain Bolt, long after they've forgotten Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell.

CheadleBeagle

Bolt is fantastic and I think a lot of his antics are very tongue in cheek because he knows that the fans want to see it and expect it. He seems like a very nice guy as does Mo.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
When a guy is as dominating his sport like Bolt does, I honestly couldn't care much about his demeanor, his "antics", his movements or whatever... Whoever take all his gesticulations too seriously is weird to me, I honestly don't understand how that can bother someone.
edit: the TnF was very good this year.A lot of standout performers in Bolt, Felix (three gold medals too),Farah,Rudisha and even that kid from Trinidad

Amir

This is a good point, and as I said previously, he's an amazing athlete. I just prefer characters like Rudisha, who is just as amazing an athlete without all the 'zazz'.
It's good to have both. Some will like it, some will not, and that's the way it always is in sport.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Very true Amir.Just like some people like Messi for being a quiet chap and others like Ronaldo for his showboating, his hair and his general attitude.Rudisha is a great athlete, I like how so calm and modest he is.Bolt is very different character but still cool too

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal

You need to follow sprinting then.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Allyson Felix and David Rudisha are my favs. Felix is just poetry in motion and Rusdisha ran 'my' event in a completely different way to that which I ever thought possible.
That Osagie in last place set a time which would have won the last four Olympics demonstrates that Rudisha's performance in dragging them all through, or as the Guardian put it "Rudisha pulled the field around behind him, like a speedboat leading seven water-skiers", was the standout of the games. Even more so that there has been no material improvement in the half-mile during the last 30 years.

Drifter

American
Bolt can do what ever he wants.He single-handedly took Athletics out of the doldrums.