Looking back, did we mess up with the Beckham transfer?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The only issue I had and still have to this day is that we actually sold him. I just wish Fergie and Becks could've straightened things out as I truly believe Beckham wanted to stay.

In the end we got Ronaldo so it wasn't all doom and gloom, but he was and still is my favourite United player ever, and I just wish he'd have stayed with us ala Giggs/Scholes/G.Nev for the entirety of his career.
I also wish we had kept him longer.
If it had been in today's world I doubt there would have been an issue.

However back then he was ahead of his time, especially in England. In Spain or Italy players already had celebrity WAGs whereas in England it was still somehow a big deal.
Nowadays almost every footballer is together either with a celebrity or a wannabe celebrity who present all their private life on social media on a daily basis.

Zen

I dunno, players brands don't seem to matter too much in transfer prices, especially when the clubs is confident of building new ones, which United did over the next years in Rooney and Ronaldo, they seem to have a lost confidence though, thus the reliance on keeping Rooney for the past few years. Clearly going to be a big effort around Pogba over the next 5 years though.

I don't know what Beckhams contract was either, but he was worth more than half a Zidane regardless, just Fergie wanted shot, so whatever.

stevoc

The only issue I had and still have to this day is that we actually sold him. I just wish Fergie and Becks could've straightened things out as I truly believe Beckham wanted to stay.

In the end we got Ronaldo so it wasn't all doom and gloom, but he was and still is my favourite United player ever, and I just wish he'd have stayed with us ala Giggs/Scholes/G.Nev for the entirety of his career.
I wanted him to stay as i loved Becks but Gill made a very good point about his sale at the time. Beckham, Giggs and Scholes were all the same age and Keane was older so you can't have your entire midfield going over the hill at the same time. So we needed some new blood and someone had to be sacrificed, as good as he was Beckham wasn't as good a player as Scholes or Giggs for me and i assume Ferguson.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
You are losing the player, losing him dirt cheap makes you look stupid. Good luck trying to buy a Beckham from woody on the cheap.
These things happens all the time. To me it signals the club don't give a shit about the money - the dignity is more important. Holding on to a player you don't want just because the money isn't right will make you look like you want something in return for losing an important player. The way we sold him was good in many ways. Beckham got his transfer and a decent fee to uphold his status. We got our money, got rid of the problem and also signaled to the fans we're not getting rid of an important player. One should also remember 24m was not that bad back then. I think it can compare to 40m today.

We've given away quite some players over the years. We're not known for selling players - and that's something I'm proud of.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I also wish we had kept him longer.
If it had been in today's world I doubt there would have been an issue.

However back then he was ahead of his time, especially in England. In Spain or Italy players already had celebrity WAGs whereas in England it was still somehow a big deal.
Nowadays almost every footballer is together either with a celebrity or a wannabe celebrity who present all their private life on social media on a daily basis.
You think? I still think, even in this day and age, Fergie would've had a problem with Beckham's lifestyle. I can't remember a player after Beckham and before Fergie's retirement that had a similar lifestyle to Becks here at United. Maybe Rooney in terms of getting lazier when it came to putting effort into football, but Fergie did seemingly give up on him and put him up for sale by the end of his final season, too.

I wanted him to stay as i loved Becks but Gill made a very good point about his sale at the time. Beckham, Giggs and Scholes were all the same age and Keane was older so you can't have your entire midfield going over the hill at the same time. So we needed some new blood and someone had to be sacrificed, as good as he was Beckham wasn't as good a player as Scholes or Giggs for me and i assume Ferguson.
Yeah, I get that and don't dispute the reasoning behind it, but, with my fanboyish nature for Beckham, it doesn't ease the disappointment that he was sold. Personally, I think Beckham could've transitioned into a CM ala Giggs still allowing room for Ronnie to come, but there's no point going on about that now.

Oh, and for me, I'd have Giggs and Beckham about level with Scholes ahead of both, but I can see why others wouldn't have Becks as good as Giggsy.

stevoc

Yeah, I get that and don't dispute the reasoning behind it, but, with my fanboyish nature for Beckham, it doesn't ease the disappointment that he was sold. Personally, I think Beckham could've transitioned into a CM ala Giggs still allowing room for Ronnie to come, but there's no point going on about that now.

Oh, and for me, I'd have Giggs and Beckham about level with Scholes ahead of both, but I can see why others wouldn't have Becks as good as Giggsy.
I was gutted myself mate, because i knew most likely the guy replacing him wouldn't have been a United fan and Becks was a top player. And yeah Beckham could have been a very good CM but Ferguson probably even back then had it in mind to move Giggs there. He started playing Giggs in Cm only 2 years later.

Had he stayed as long as the other two i wouldn't have liked to have seen a 3 man midfield of Becks, Scholes and Giggs all 36+. But it most likely would have happened at some point.

united_99

You think? I still think, even in this day and age, Fergie would've had a problem with Beckham's lifestyle. I can't remember a player after Beckham and before Fergie's retirement that had a similar lifestyle to Becks here at United. Maybe Rooney in terms of getting lazier when it came to putting effort into football, but Fergie did seemingly give up on him and put him up for sale by the end of his final season, too.

Ronaldo if he had stayed would have been similar. In Madrid he is with tons of sponsorships, CR 7 brand , model gfs, underwear and all that. Casillas, Ramos and more than anyone Pique have famous WAG s in the media / public all the time.
Of course there are very few players who have such a high profile and such a high profile WAG and at United we only had Becks and Ronaldo meeting it (even though there are differences between them).
We also had Best , though not under SAF :smirk:

Yagami

Good post resistant
I was gutted myself mate, because i knew most likely the guy replacing him wouldn't have been a United fan and Becks was a top player. And yeah Beckham could have been a very good CM but Ferguson probably even back then had it in mind to move Giggs there. He started playing Giggs in Cm only 2 years later.

Had he stayed as long as the other two i wouldn't have liked to have seen a 3 man midfield of Becks, Scholes and Giggs all 36+. But it most likely would have happened at some point.
:lol: True! I think having both Giggs and Becks as rotation options for the wings and midfield would've been good but, yeah, it might've been a bit too much.

As for the Beckham/Giggs/Scholes midfield, I would've loved that! Though, not so much because I think it'd be a masterpiece of a midfield, moreso that it'd be because 3 of my favourite players ever playing together. The only stipulation would be not to play that against City away ala Giggs/Scholes/Park, more like a home game against Sunderland :p

Ronaldo if he had stayed would have been similar. In Madrid he is with tons of sponsorships, CR 7 brand , model gfs, underwear and all that. Casillas, Ramos and more than anyone Pique have famous WAG s in the media / public all the time.
Of course there are very few players who have such a high profile and such a high profile WAG and at United we only had Becks and Ronaldo meeting it (even though there are differences between them).
We also had Best , though not under SAF :smirk:
Yeah, if Ronaldo had stayed I don't think Fergie would've minded his lifestyle too much as SAF loved him too much. Though, to give credit to Ronnie, his off the field life hasn't effected the effort he's put into becoming the best he can be as a footballer which is incredible really.

Oh, and the thought of Best under SAF in my lifetime. :drool: Though, that Sir Matt Busby wasn't too shabby as a manager either. Just a shame it was before my time.

Rory 7

By the time he moved to LA he had won the same more or less as us, 1 league title.
I am sure neither party regrets it, we have had success after he left as well, whereas he had already achieved and won everything with United, and went on to play for RM, Milan and PSG and got mega rich and an even bigger world icon.
Selling him was a win win for both parties. He never hit the heights he had hit at United at Madrid.

united_99

:lol: True! I think having both Giggs and Becks as rotation options for the wings and midfield would've been good but, yeah, it might've been a bit too much.

As for the Beckham/Giggs/Scholes midfield, I would've loved that! Though, not so much because I think it'd be a masterpiece of a midfield, moreso that it'd be because 3 of my favourite players ever playing together. The only stipulation would be not to play that against City away ala Giggs/Scholes/Park, more like a home game against Sunderland :p

Yeah, if Ronaldo had stayed I don't think Fergie would've minded his lifestyle too much as SAF loved him too much. Though, to give credit to Ronnie, his off the field life hasn't effected the effort he's put into becoming the best he can be as a footballer which is incredible really.

Oh, and the thought of Best under SAF in my lifetime. :drool: Though, that Sir Matt Busby wasn't too shabby as a manager either. Just a shame it was before my time.
In the end it's about success. Fergie didn't mind Becks' lifestyle much for 4 - 5 years , at least not as much that he had to get rid because he still saw him as a crucial part of our success. Only when he felt he was a bit declining and that coupled with the ever increasing brand Beckham he decided to get rid.

Also apart from a bit in his last season the hype never affected Becks ' performances either. The birth of his first son was some kind of mass media event but just one day before he delivered a world class performance against Inter in the CL quarters for example.

Minimalist

Fee is still pretty good for that time and remember Beckham was already being criticised by plenty of people even then for being 'overrated' as a player, so there was no chance any team was breaking the world record on him. He was poor for United that season too I remember. Add to that Ferguson wanting him gone - it's probably a fair enough price.

Yagami

Good post resistant
In the end it's about success. Fergie didn't mind Becks' lifestyle much for 4 - 5 years , at least not as much that he had to get rid because he still saw him as a crucial part of our success. Only when he felt he was a bit declining and that coupled with the ever increasing brand Beckham he decided to get rid.

Also apart from a bit in his last season the hype never affected Becks ' performances either. The birth of his first son was some kind of mass media event but just one day before he delivered a world class performance against Inter in the CL quarters for example.
I agree in that I didn't really see his lifestyle having a negative affect on his performances for us. I always felt he gave 100% and remained professional throughout not only his career with us, but the entirety of it. I suppose Fergie didn't, though, which is what matters. Maybe it was effort being shown in training, or maybe he just wasn't happy with the majority of his performances unlike us, but I believe his lifestyle played some part in their relationship going sour and ended up being the key reason for his departure.

Ixion

Thought the fee was too low at the time and still do.

VII

Beckham was forcing his way to Real and said he's not going to Barca or anyone else. Obviously since his wife had already booked a place in an elite Madrid nursery school for his kid almost a year before him leaving.

Kenyon screwed us on the Ronaldinho and Robben deals. Everything was agreed then he got offered the Chelsea job and went back to offer less money to PSG and double Robben's wages.

ghagua

We had a higher fee agreed with Barcelona, but Beckham wanted Real Madrid only. No way to sell a player to a another club unless he wants to go.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Well yes. I thought there was a common consensus that Beckham was worth more than £25m.

RedStarUnited

We had a higher fee agreed with Barcelona, but Beckham wanted Real Madrid only. No way to sell a player to a another club unless he wants to go.
Try telling Madrid that Barcelona offered more and we only want to sell at that price.

Fergy ego got in the way and Beckham was quickly sold. The man was great but he did make certain decisions that were in his interest rather than the clubs.

Bacon apologist

I don't think it was a mistake. First of all, as has been mentioned plenty, the club wanted him gone. That will impact our ability to negotiate, and we also have to take into account that there really weren't many realistic buyers. Secondly, the the financials look worse from today's perspective than they really were:

- £25m in 2003 is not the same as £25m today, it's actually closer to £36m. So, we sold David Beckham for £36m of today's money, that already looks quite a bit better than £25m.

- The above is just general inflation. Due to a huge increase in demand for football generally, the Premier League more specifically, and of course the club Manchester United, there's a lot more money involved now than there was then. Adjusting for this is not as easy as adjusting for inflation, but we could compare the transfer fee with the club's revenue. Manchester United's revenue has more than doubled since we sold Beckham, so for a sale to make as big a financial impact as back then, the price would have to be above £50m. That is pretty close to our biggest buy, Di Maria.

- We could also try comparing with other transfer fees. The sale of David Beckham brought in a bit more than half of the world record (Zidane). The record now is £86m for Bale, so around £45m is a comparable sum.

All in all, I think it was a perfectly acceptable transfer.

Agila Dathi

Eventually it was, but Kenyon could also say in his defense that he thought no one else was in for Dinho. If Barcelona didnt need to make up for losing out on Beckham, we could have maybe got Dinho for cheaper.

And everyone saying we got CR7 because of the Beckham/Dinho stuff, whos saying we wouldnt have got Ronaldo anyway?
Didn't he stall the deal because he knew he was going to Chelsea and wanted to bring him there with him?
At least that's the story I heard :houllier: