Luck of the draw...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ole’s been here about a year, and in that time, we’ve had the following knock-out ties:

PSG
Barcelona

Arsenal away
Chelsea away
Wolves away
Chelsea away
Wolves away
Manchester City

It’s been fecking brutal and the last thing we have needed. Credit to the squad for giving it as good a go as we have, but it’s been the worst run I can recall for a long time.

Paul_Scholes18

Ole’s been here about a year, and in that time, we’ve had the following knock-out ties:

PSG
Barcelona

Arsenal away
Chelsea away
Wolves away
Chelsea away
Wolves away
Manchester City

It’s been fecking brutal and the last thing we have needed. Credit to the squad for giving it as good a go as we have, but it’s been the worst run I can recall for a long time.
To be it was Mourinho that got PSG ;). Yeah it has been a very hard run. I think City in a semi final is not just luck though since you expect them to have gone that far.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Unlucky with the draw. Another one in long list of reasons to sack Ole..

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
To be it was Mourinho that got PSG ;). Yeah it has been a very hard run. I think City in a semi final is not just luck though since you expect them to have gone that far.
True but it's luck to a point in that there was an equal chance we would draw Aston Villa.

Web of Bissaka

Tbf, Wolves aside and few of the other games, his tactics is usually spot on. Players also performed. His sort of default counter attacks system normally suit those kind of matches. So isn't it more good than bad luck.

No big problems in those aspects...well, recent decision makings are getting glaring obvious questionable.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Wolves away, PSG, Barcelona and City in the League cup is hardly bad luck given the advanced stage of the competitions.

We've had rotten luck in the FA Cup for years. I remember us knocking out City away a few years back in the third round only to draw Liverpool away in the fourth round. Last year it was Arsenal away followed by Chelsea away. This year Wolves at home. Meanwhile Chelsea have had only 1 Premier League team in the FA Cup third and fourth rounds over the past 7 years and that was Newcastle at home.

ifightdragons

PSG
Barcelona

Arsenal away
Chelsea away
Wolves away
Chelsea away
Wolves away
Manchester City

Stop rewriting history.

1: Barcelona and City were both drawn in the very late stages of their respective tournaments. All teams you meet by then will more than likely be first rate opposition, with the odd exception.
Therefore, not bad luck, just normalcy. PSG were also drawn in the knock-out stages of arguably the world's toughest tournament. You could say that's bad luck, but it's also just to be expected at that stage in such a tournament. Besides, PSG haven't exactly been particularly great in the Champions League, so I'd argue it was a decent draw. And it was actually Jose who got us there and drew them, not Ole.

2: Though I'll grant you that they are not dream-like opposition, Arsenal, Chelsea and Wolves are not unbeatable by any stretch of the imagination.

3: You just conveniently left out teams we've drawn under Ole such as; Colchester, Reading and Rochdale. I'd say that's some fantastic luck right there!

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Stop rewriting history.

1: Barcelona and City were both drawn in the very late stages of their respective tournaments. All teams you meet by then will more than likely be first rate opposition, with the odd exception.
Therefore, not bad luck, just normalcy. PSG were also drawn in the knock-out stages of arguably the world's toughest tournament. You could say that's bad luck, but it's also just to be expected at that stage in such a tournament. Besides, PSG haven't exactly been particularly great in the Champions League, so I'd argue it was a decent draw. And it was actually Jose who got us there and drew them, not Ole.

2: Though I'll grant you that they are not dream-like opposition, Arsenal, Chelsea and Wolves are not unbeatable by any stretch of the imagination.

3: You just conveniently left out teams we've drawn under Ole such as; Colchester, Reading and Rochdale. I'd say that's some fantastic luck right there!
How can listing games that we have played be considered ‘rewriting history’? I haven’t ‘conveniently’ left anything out, I’ve stated that we have had a certain number of tough games in a short space of time. That we have also played Reading is irrelevant.

Paul_Scholes18

Stop rewriting history.

Arsenal and Chelsea early on was very hard draws. Wolves in a quarter final is pretty much what you would expect at that point. Although since we had knocked out some good sides already and both Spurs and Pool had failed it was one of the harder draws.
City on the other hand didn't play a single hard side before the final really and they still smashed Watford.

ifightdragons

How can listing games that we have played be considered ‘rewriting history’? I haven’t ‘conveniently’ left anything out, I’ve stated that we have had a certain number of tough games in a short space of time. That we have also played Reading is irrelevant.
Because you are clearly insinuating that the reason why we haven't reached any finals under Ole is because of bad luck in the draws.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I prefer harder draws myself, especially if it's a game in Europe. Would love to see United qualify for the Champions League, so they can face against European juggernauts. I was deeply underwhelmed when United were tied with Brugge.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool

PSG
Barcelona

Arsenal away
Chelsea away
Wolves away
Chelsea away
Wolves away
Manchester City

Because you are clearly insinuating that the reason why we haven't reached any finals under Ole is because of bad luck in the draws.
This. Until I read the other responses I thought that OP listed all the cup ties Utd've had under Solsjkaer so far and I thought wow that's definitely some tough luck. Especially since he says it's the "worst run I can recall for a long time." But now I notice the sly, but technically, not incorrect phrasing. :lol: