Ludo Draft QF - GodShaveTheQueen vs. Zlatan 7

Who will win the match based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Team GodShaveTheQueen

Setup:

If you haven't guessed it already from the picture, its a remake of the World Cup winning Brazilian team of 1958.
Below is how the Brazil 1958 team looked and the arrows explain the tactics well. The same arrows apply to my team too.

Player match ups:

1. Garrincha, Zito, Zagallo and Djalma retain their roles in the setup. That is an immense core to start off with while try to remake the setup.

2. A young Pele is replaced by a peak Ferenc Puskas. Stylistically, I couldn't have found a better fit. And definitely an upgrade from the original setup. Puskas could do almost everything a young Pele could and most of the times better (I say most because Pele was the better header). Like the young Pele, Puskas was a great support striker while being a ruthless scorer himself. Like Pele, he will also drift leftwards when the team transitions from a 4-2-4 to a 4-3-3 with Zagallo helping out in midfield from time to time. This was very important for the balance of the team.

3. Vava being replace by Sandor Kocsis doesn't need any explanation. An upgrade of gigantic proportions, especially with someone like Garrincha pinging crosses in for fun. The proven devastating Puskas-Kocsis partnership makes its instantly mouth watering.

4. And my favorite bit in the team. Didi is replaced by none other than the great Alfredo Di Stefano. He not only provides everything the system needs, he also upgrades it with his freakish amount of work rate in midfield. Didi doesn't get rated in drafts enough for a reason. The 1958-62 setup doesn't get replicated more often for a reason. Di Stefano is here to smash those reasons. The role is so meaty, so much is expected of him here, I can't think of more demanding historic setup to utilize his capabilities to the maximum. With Di Stefano, you don't provide him a base to run the show. You demand him to provide the base AND run the show.

5. Branko Zebec takes Nilton's spot. A pretty clean replacement. In an attacking sense, definitely an upgrade considering Zebec can also provide overlaps unlike Nilton.

6. The rest of the defense is pretty straight forward. Albert Shesternyov and Jose Santamria form a really complimentary partnership. Shesternyov's teammate and the greatest GK of all time, Lev Yashin starts in goal.

Team Zlatan 7

Was tempted to go 352 for this match to try and go more defensive but can’t resist wide players, even more so if gstq sets up in a similar way so I stayed with the 442 from last round.

One change is putting McGrath in Defense instead of hierro. Even though McGrath also will carry the ball forward, him and lucio are not going to be doing this at the same time and I’m sure they’re good enough to know when to go and when not to.

On the one wing will be figo, he’ll tend to stay wide providing the width and obviously causing havoc with his feints and dribbling, and of course wicked delivery.

On the other wing will be Rivelino, a mazy runner who will be happy to stay wide if we’re up against a 352 keeping the wing backs pinned back, Rivelino though will also have the license to come inside into a central 10 roll if that’s where the space is and play behind Del Piero and ronaldo for a while, Carlos as left back will be more than capable of providing that width down the left flank and getting balls into the box.

Del Piero will be playing slightly off Ronaldo, a perfect foil for him, Del Piero will occupy and drift and pull defenders all over while Ronaldo will stay up top, running channels, playing in the space Del Piero can create.

In the centre will be Davids and Redondo, I think these will be such a complimentary pairing, Davids being the work horse covering every blade of grass, Redondo staying deeper controlling the game and Playmaking from deep.

The defence, Carlos I’ve already mentioned will be up and down that wing if/while Rivelino comes inside. On the other side, Thuram will be less adventurous and will stay back more creating a 3 man defence when Carlos goes on his travels.

My 2 centrebacks, McGrath, enough said about him here, will post links in match. With him is lucio, enough said about him too :D strong and commanding in the area and dominant in the air.

And the last line of defence, Peruzzi

Good luck @GodShaveTheQueen @Zlatan 7

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Alfredo Di Stéfano, one of the five most prominent attackers who glorified football in a report to a Spanish-language magazine, when asked who would have been better - Pele, Maradona, Puskas, Cruyff or himself ...

"Don" Alfredo did not think twice and concluded:

"Pele and Maradona were geniuses, Puskas and Cruyff sensational, but the greatest of all was the man with the crooked legs - Garrincha. I never saw anybody do what he did with a ball ..."

GodShaveTheQueen

100 meters in 11 seconds. Exactly what I would need against Fenomeno.

Albert Shesternyov (Ivan the terrible)

Best defender in Soviet football history and the captain of great forgotten Soviet team. He was voted, by Ballon d'Or, the 14th, 11th, 10th and then 22nd best footballer in the world in 1968, 1969, 1970 and 1971 respectively. During these years he was regarded as one of the best defenders in the World and if he had chosen to join one of the many European big teams that were chasing him, many said he would have been even more so highly regarded in the footballing world. He was however always commended for his one club career.

A brilliant athlete, at 17 years age he ran 100 meters in 11 seconds and was champion of all of the Moscow and Moscow region. He also showed excellent results in the 200 metres, long and triple jump. He could have had fantastic athletic career but his heart was set on football. His athleticism combined with his mentality and tactical intelligence mean he was the youngest ever debutant of CSKA Moscow history and their youngest ever captain at the age of 21. He remained a one club man for his life and captained CSKA Moscow team for 10 years. After leading CSKA to their first national title in 19 years he chose to retire from football on a high at only 30.

In 1970 he was chosen the Soviet footballer of the year while coming at third place in 1964 and 1965. His great achievements for national team came in European championships, where he was selected in UEFA team of tournament in 1968. One of the unluckiest captain in that tournament, he lost to eventual winners Italy via a coin toss, after his team's 0-0 draw with Italy – a match in which he had commanded the Soviet defense with customary fortitude and authority.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Had a busy day in work today, thanks for setting the game up @Invictus, all the best @GodShaveTheQueen

I like your formation gstq and it’s one I’ve used in the past.
Wouldn’t the attacker who played furthest up top then drift deeper and either flank and then that space attacked by Pelé? Is your setup replicating this?

Is de Stefano too attacking to play the role you’ve put him in?

As for you 22nd best footballer in the world running fast when he was 17, usain bolt can run fast, Im sure ronaldo would tie both in knots, I’d say it’s silly to suggest otherwise.

When Rivelino comes inside for me who is picking him up? De Stefano? Didi? Zagallo? And then who is following del piero when he’s dropping and drifting? Your team is attacking but there’s holes everywhere to exploit, same for your attacking fullbacks being caught out.

I’m not sure Garrincha will be crossing for fun either.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’d expect to have more of the ball than you with redondo Rivelino and figo controlling the ball, both wingers able to drop deep and play the ball to Del Piero and ronaldo making runs in behind, obviously both wingers also able to do this. Davids in there harassing the shit out of your midefiled when they get the ball and helping cover the left side.
When you attack and we sit deep I’d expect Davids to help Rivelino and Carlos deal with Garrincha, I’d say he’s you biggest threat in the match against my attacking fullback so Davids is ideal to cover that side.

GodShaveTheQueen

Is de Stefano too attacking to play the role you’ve put him in?
I want you to make a call on that yourselves :)

Below is an all touches and actions video of his game from a European Cup Quarter final.

Do remember while watching that Di Stefano was 35 years old here. Don't give him a free pass just because he was 35 years old though. Just remember that he was 35. He'll impress you :)

Let me know what you think after you watch. Cheers.

GodShaveTheQueen

As for you 22nd best footballer in the world running fast when he was 17, usain bolt can run fast, Im sure ronaldo would tie both in knots, I’d say it’s silly to suggest otherwise.
Speed of course is not the only skill you need to have against any attacker, let alone Fenomeno.

But lack of speed is suicidal against Fenomeno and having a speedy athletic defender is definitely a big positive.

Just because I didn't list his other skills, doesn't just make him a poor man's Usain Bolt though, does it? :)

Wouldn’t the attacker who played furthest up top then drift deeper and either flank and then that space attacked by Pelé? Is your setup replicating this?
Yes, Puskas is playing the supporting role like Pele did in that formation.

Puskas' game also involved a fair bit of drifting wide left like Pele, so it seemed to fit like a glove. At least to me it did.

When Rivelino comes inside for me who is picking him up? De Stefano? Didi? Zagallo?
After you watch the video, you'd realize that its pointless man marking people in a Di Stefano system. Its zonal defending off the ball with Di Stefano of course having the license to roam in all zones in both defense and attack.

Not sure I see any problem. We both have quite similar setups with a hard working left winger. Having watched both, I personally found Zagallo more hard working that Rivellino.

Rivellino of course had more flair to his game than Zagallo.

And then who is following del piero when he’s dropping and drifting?
Unless you plan to invite all of Rivellino, Del Piero, Davids to the same spot on the left central side of the pitch for a tea party, I think it should be okay mate :)

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

I’m not sure Garrincha will be crossing for fun either.
I think he will be, especially against Carlos who is going to bomb up the flank at every opportunity he gets. Even if he doesn't in some situations, I would expect Garrincha to get the better of Carlos at almost every chance he gets.

I think you have built a brilliant team and I really like Carlos there as well. But against someone like Garrincha, it becomes a Achilees heel.

When you attack and we sit deep I’d expect Davids to help Rivelino and Carlos deal with Garrincha, I’d say he’s you biggest threat in the match against my attacking fullback so Davids is ideal to cover that side.
I wouldn't expect anything less out of them mate. In fact, this was the tactic most teams used against Garrincha. Have multiple people try to dispossess Garrincha. This of course gave the chance for the rest of the team/midfield to impose over the game. And that is not an opportunity you would want to give a certain Di Stefano.

The scare Garrincha would put in the opposition ranks was many times enough to set the tempo of the game. Even in midfield. Amazing that he could do it from just the right wing.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’ll give it a watch now, thanks.

Speed of course is not the only skill you need to have against any attacker, let alone Fenomeno.

But lack of speed is suicidal against Fenomeno and having a speedy athletic defender is definitely a big positive.

Just because I didn't list his other skills, doesn't just make him a poor man's Usain Bolt, does it? :)

True, I was more pointing out speed will only get you so far.

Yes, Puskas is playing the supporting role like Pele did in that formation.

Puskas' game also involved a fair bit if drifting wide left like Pele, so it seemed to fit like a glove. At least to me it did.

I meant Pelé getting into the forward position left by the forward. Not drifting the same as the forward. Admittedly I don’t know enough here though.

After you watch the video, you'd realize that its pointless man marking people in a Di Stefano system. Its zonal defending off the ball with Di Stefano of course having the license to roam in all zones in both defense and attack.

Not sure I see any problem. We both have quite similar setups with a hard working left winger. Having watched both, I personally found Zagallo more hard working that Rivellino.

Rivellino of course had more flair to his game that Zagallo.

Both got the hard working midfielder yes but I’d say I have a more robust defensive midfield 2 to go with that.

Unless you plan to invite all of Rivellino, Del Piero, Davids to the same spot on the left central side of the pitch for a tea party, I think it should be okay mate :)

When Santos and Garrincha are having a wail of a time crossing for fun down my end I’m sure those 3 would have enough time and space for a tea party there :)

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I think he will be, especially against Carlos who is going to bomb up the flank at every opportunity he gets. Even if he doesn't in some situations, I would expect Garrincha to get the better of Carlos at almost every chance he gets.

I think you have built a brilliant team and I really like Carlos there as well. But against someone like Garrincha, it becomes a Achilees heel.

Garrincha is a magnificent player no doubt, I’d still be having my own fun down that left against your fullback ifhe’s left all on his lonesome most of the match.

I wouldn't expect anything less out of them mate. In fact, this was the tactic most teams used against Garrincha. Have multiple people try to dispossess Garrincha. This of course gave the chance for the rest of the team/midfield to impose over the game. And that is not an opportunity you would want to give a certain Di Stefano.

If shutting down Garrincha invites Di Stefano forward and leaves Zito on his own I’m sure figo would look forward to this.

The scare Garrincha would put in the opposition ranks was many times enough to set the tempo of the game. Even in midfield. Amazing that he could do it from just the right wing.

I agree, and if I could field 3 left backs for one position To cover him and nullify him in drafts I would.

I could also say this about fenomemo, he’s going to scare the shit out of your centre backs and they have hardly any defensive cover from midfield to help, they’ll be doubling up or get rinsed no doubt. The space that he will create for del Piero to exploit by having more than one defender try to stop him and the space Del Piero can also create off the ball while drifting is not something your team can cover for in my opinion.

Also as I’ve said, Thuram will not be going forward too much so when I am attacking redondo and Davids could also edge forwards with some defence behind them, McGrath happily stepping forward playing the passes from deep
Apologies for the bold. I can’t do the fancy multi quote you do on my phone :)

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
In terms of speed I'd say that Shesternyov is one of the best defenders to face Ronaldo. Ronaldo still has an upper hand in that duel of course, Shesternyov was absolutely huge but that made him a bit less agile than needed when you're facing one of the most devastating dribblers in football's history.

I like that @GodShaveTheQueen stays true to his themes even though it led to him benching Garrincha in the first game (and now both Gento and Czibor).

I'll have to think on it. In terms of the absolute GOATs GSTQ is well ahead — Puskas, Di Stefano and Garrincha vs Ronaldo, but the rest of Zlatan's team looks so perfectly put together... and I don't rate Santamaria that highly, I've seen him feck up one too many times.

GodShaveTheQueen

I like that @GodShaveTheQueen stays true to his themes even though it led to him benching Garrincha in the first game (and now both Gento and Czibor).
Thanks mate.

In terms of the absolute GOATs GSTQ is well ahead — Puskas, Di Stefano and Garrincha vs Ronaldo
What a shame. A Russian forgets to add Yashin there :wenger:

but the rest of Zlatan's team looks so perfectly put together
In isolation yes, but when it comes to the game, Carlos vs Garrincha definitely pops out.

GodShaveTheQueen

and I don't rate Santamaria that highly, I've seen him feck up one too many times.
Been eagerly waiting for someone to bring this up.

I think this is not the perfect way to look at it even though I have been critical of him as well.
Below is how I look at him.

Having watched a lot of him, I noticed two flaws in his game or in the Madrid defensive structure

1. He committed a lot into his tackles/headers and if he didn't win the duel, he left a big space behind (3 man defense with 2 of them covering out wide as well) which was great for the opposition to exploit.
2. He was not a good organizer of a defense. The number of times that Madrid defense looked out of shape was very often.

How do you work around these flaws? Below is how I would do it.

1. Pair him with a good organizer of a defense so that he is not solely responsible for doing it.
2. Pair him with a good sweeper who could cover behind for his stopper partner.

In essence, you pair Santamaria with say a Forster/Kohler, its a terrible idea.

You pair him with a Tresor/Shesternyov, you have a great partnership.

There is a fairly modern example to emphasize this even more. Take John Terry and Riccardo Carvalho.

Take Carvalho out of the equation and Terry looked an average defender with tonnes of mistakes in him (You can't win all your duels obviously).
You pair him with a Carvalho to cover for him, you get the team with best defensive record of the PL era.

There is a reason Santamaria is remembered as a great of all times and there is a reason why he is often criticized. But its not pure white and black. You need to look at both the reasons and then build the defense the best way you can.

Last edited:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
[QUOTE="GodShaveTheQueen, post: 24149909, member: 114867

In isolation yes, but when it comes to the game, Carlos vs Garrincha definitely pops out.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, unless I had Maldini there, in a draft against Garrincha, who wouldn’t pop out?

Edit: that’s a weak question I’d like to withdraw :lol:

I know Carlos is attacking and you could name any number of more defensive left backs.

GodShaveTheQueen

Both got the hard working midfielder yes but I’d say I have a more robust defensive midfield 2 to go with that.
What do you think Zito was mate? :)

To be honest, unless I had Maldini there, in a draft against Garrincha, who wouldn’t pop out?
A lot of players wouldn't. A lot of players who are not given offensive responsibilities on a tucked in flank for example.

A lot of players who were way more balanced than Carlos and way more defensively strong.

You don't need to go till Maldini. I'd say Zanetti from @2mufc0 's team or Cole from @Indnyc 's wouldn't 'pop out'.

Sure it won't be a cake walk for them and they might still fail. You can never trust anyone fully against the likes of Garrincha and Fenomeno on their day

But Zanetti and Cole surely wouldn't pop out like Carlos does here. Not by any stretch of imagination.

GodShaveTheQueen

Edit: that’s a weak question I’d like to withdraw :lol:

I know Carlos is attacking and you could name any number of more defensive left backs.
That is alright mate.

Sorry I couldn't respond to all your quoted responses yet as am finding it tough to quote them.

GodShaveTheQueen

What do you think the number 2 meant mate? :)
Or is di Stefano playing more Defensive mid for you?
Ah, my apologies. I missed the 2 there.

The theme and team I built on didn't require two defensive midfielders. And it went on to win the world cup. Twice :)

I am anyways not a fan of having 2 defensive minded players with Di Stefano around unless you are going with an aggressive back 3 as I did in the last game. It's a gross misuse of his completeness as a player IMO.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Ah, my apologies. I missed the 2 there.

The theme and team I built on didn't require two defensive midfielders. And it went on to win the world cup. Twice :)

I am anyways not a fan of having 2 defensive minded players with Di Stefano around unless you are going with an aggressive back 3 as I did in the last game. It's a gross misuse of his completeness as a player IMO.
Fair enough,
I watched the first five minutes of the video, I’ll watch more later.

He gets around the field a lot for his age I agree, he’s everywhere (at different times)
It’s often sloppy football though so I’ll be honest, I do struggle to be impressed, that’s my own issues admittedly.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
We must have two amazing defences as it’s a slow low scoring game at the moment.
Guess the hot weather here in UK has distracted and fatigued the fans and atmosphere.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Is it fair to say this will play out as a duel of hero ball versus a more collective-minded style? (Not talking in absolutes here, but about general inclinations).

Zlatan's team is extremely well constructed, and I expect it to operate more on ball circulation and quicker interplay than GSTQ's. Both central defenses look clearly inferior individually to their direct opponents, and I think a lot depends on who can protect their backline better as a collective. Longer individual time on the ball from Di Stefano/Garrincha may give Zlatan's team more time to get in shape. And vice versa.

Main issues seem quite obvious and have already been addressed by the contestants. (Garrincha vs Zlatan's left side stands out, but I wouldn't expect the individual threat from "one man army" Ronaldo to be too far behind either.) I'll wait to see if discussions provide further insight. As usual, I know too little about too many players.

Btw, Lucio rang in & asked me to tell you he approves of Paul McGrath as a partner. Also added he's not quite sure about the stopper-libero hybrid label, but he'll team up with anyone anyway.

GodShaveTheQueen

Longer individual time on the ball from Di Stefano/Garrincha may give Zlatan's team more time to get in shape
While we are building up the attack, that point is valid.

On the counters, I don't think so. Di Stefano's vision and speed of transition, Garrincha's pace and trickery and Kocsis/Puskas' precision to finish moves leaves very little time for the opposition to get in shape, especially through that left flank, with Lucio not really being a wide covering CB.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
With regards to Carlos it would interesting to hear from other drafters on how they rank his defensive abilities, would you say it would similar to Evra? Imo I always loved the tenacious aspect of his game and with a strong mentality he’s a difficult player to beat. I wouldn’t put him on the Maldini, Nilton, Zanetti etc. Level in terms of defence though, but not a complete liability either .

Really close game though, love both teams, kind of leaning towards GTSQ as I’m a sucker for themed teams and I think this a very good rendition of that great Brazil team. Will follow discussions.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I agree about the tenacious aspect to Carlos game and he was no push over defending. It seems in drafts that it’s more an either or criteria, unfortunately for me Carlos being fantastic at attacking leaves the defending side of his game over looked.
That’s also my fault and I should fight that corner more.

GodShaveTheQueen

With regards to Carlos it would interesting to hear from other drafters on how they rank his defensive abilities, would you say it would similar to Evra?
Yea, I'm put them on par. Maybe peak Evra ever so slightly higher, but on average at the same level.

GodShaveTheQueen

It seems in drafts that it’s more an either or criteria, unfortunately for me Carlos being fantastic at attacking leaves the defending side of his game over looked
I think this is a wrong characterization of the drafting community.

It doesn't matter if it's Carlos of Facchetti. If they are given the responsibility to run the flank while defending against Garrincha, they will be called out for getting caught out time and again.

Facchetti himself has been called out for his attacking game really suffering to the extent of becoming non existent against great wingers like Jairzinho and Johnstone.

To expect them to run up and down but then handle Garrincha simply doesn't work in real life. Either the flank will be non existent if Carlos decides to stay back all the time or Garrincha will have fun on the counters. You can replace Carlos with Facchetti if you want to in that sentence and it will still make perfect sense.

Now coming to the other aspect. Let's also not classify Carlos as a player with great defensive skills. In an all time context, he is about average and will get the job done most of the times against most good opponents. That doesn't mean calling him out as a weakness against Garrincha, the greatest winger of all times is equal to overlooking his defensive side. He wasn't really a Facchetti now, was he?

GodShaveTheQueen

Completely different players. AdS was a far more versatile player than Didi.
I don't think that still answers the question. Because he was versatile, he is less disciplined than Didi even though he had extraordinarily more amounts of workrate? :confused:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I think this is a wrong characterization of the drafting community.

It doesn't matter if it's Carlos of Facchetti. If they are given the responsibility to run the flank while defending against Garrincha, they will be called out for getting caught out time and again.

Facchetti himself has been called out for his attacking game really suffering to the extent of becoming non existent against great wingers like Jairzinho and Johnstone.

To expect them to run up and down but then handle Garrincha simply doesn't work in real life. Either the flank will be non existent if Carlos decides to stay back all the time or Garrincha will have fun on the counters. You can replace Carlos with Facchetti if you want to in that sentence and it will still make perfect sense.

Now coming to the other aspect. Let's also not classify Carlos as a player with great defensive skills. In an all time context, he is about average and will get the job done most of the times against most good opponents. That doesn't mean calling him out as a weakness against Garrincha, the greatest winger of all times is equal to overlooking his defensive side. He wasn't really a Facchetti now, was he?
I agree mostly, I’m not trying to paint Carlos as an amazing defensive defender. I’d say his biggest defensive strength was his attacking and keeping the opposing winger pinned back. I don’t think Garrincha would like that so can see Carlos also having lots of freedom down the left.
Another weakness would be him being caught upfield but He also had ripping speed to get back and make the tackle or cover back

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I don't think that still answers the question. Because he was versatile, he is less disciplined than Didi even though he had extraordinarily more amounts of workrate? :confused:
Di Stefano was a forward who dropped deep. Though he dropped deep to run the game, he was always mobile and never restricted to a midfield playmaker role. I don't see them as comparable players at all.

GodShaveTheQueen

Di Stefano was a forward who dropped deep. Though he dropped deep to run the game, he was always mobile and never restricted to a midfield playmaker role. I don't see them as comparable players at all.
That is odd considering Didi was brought in at Madrid to eventually replace and take Di Stefano's role.

Di Stefano to Didi at his unveiling -
They say you’ve come to replace me. Well, you’re too old and not good enough

GodShaveTheQueen

I’d say his biggest defensive strength was his attacking and keeping the opposing winger pinned back.
The world could be coming to an end and Garrincha would still not be pinned back or care defensively. It was just not his game.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
That is odd considering Didi was brought in at Madrid to eventually replace and take Di Stefano's role.

Di Stefano to Didi at his unveiling -
Perhaps, but I don't believe that this will be a one to one replacement. Take out AdS and plonk in Didi and continue to play the same style...nah.

For one, AdS was a more prolific goalscorer than Didi. Probably Messi vs Xavi is what I can compare to in modern terms.

GodShaveTheQueen

For one, AdS was a more prolific goalscorer than Didi.
Being a more prolific goal scorer makes him a lesser midfielder? If anything, it makes him the most complete footballer of all time.

Probably Messi vs Xavi is what I can compare to in modern terms.
Ah, I see why we disagree with each other completely. For me that comparison is weird at best.