Ludo Draft R1: PNut vs harms

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

TEAM P-NUT

Total possession football, every single player is more than comfortable in possession.

The plan is to starve the opponent of the ball so much that they don't create anything, and when they eventually switch off chasing the ball we manage to score 1, before keeping the ball for the rest of the game.

Team harms

It's a 4-4-2 inspired by the era (mostly Sacchi's and Capello's AC Milan). It's built to maximise the influence of Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Ronald Koeman — the latter is especially underrated and underused because of his unique playing style. It will be a very direct team focused on quick transitions — I have outstanding playmakers from the back in Koeman and Schuster and blistering fast targets up front in Rummenigge and Weah. Savićević has freedom to move centrally to a number 10 spot.

Rummenigge's threat.

We all know and love the famous Breitenigge — a partnership so awesome that it has its own name. I've spent quite enough time watching Breitner and Rummenigge combining together and I think that Schuster and Koeman are more than an adequate replacement for Breitner's incisive long balls forward. With that base I can exploit Kalle's exquisite movement and inventive ball-control to the fullest, which can be a difference between a win and a loss. And don't forget that Rummenigge played with Schuster — and together they absolutely dominated the 1980 UEFA Euros. At the end of the year it was this German duo that occupied the very top of Ballon d'Or list — Rummenigge first, Schuster second.

Ronald Koeman — play to your strengths and hide your weaknesses.

We all know how Koeman played — he was an incredible playmaking asset as well as a consistent goal threat with his perfectly timed runs and thunderous shot. Yet, his skillset was unlike any other defender's — he wasn't particularly fast or agile so he had to rely solely on his positioning... and on his partners. I also want to highlight that he was not a player that was dependent on a particular system — we rarely use him outside of the Barca-inspired set ups but let's not forget that he had also won the European Cup with PSV and the UEFA Euros with Netherlands, teams that were not quite similar to Cruyff's Dream Team.

Back to the partners that will have to cover for Koeman when needed:

First, I give you Valery Voronin — arguably the best fit for this task after Rijkaard. At his peak years he played a very interesting role for that USSR team. Depending on the opponent, his role changed from a roaming box-to-box or holding midfielder to a man-marking center back. But the most unique role was given to him before the 1966 World Cup. Morozov experimented with the hybrid scheme that on paper only had three defenders, but Voronin, technically a midfielder, was forced to cover and orchestrate the entire unit. The most interesting thing is that he didn't only drop back as a center back — depending on the situation he found himself playing as a right and left fullback as well.

Second — Giorgio Chiellini. I'm not going to oversell him — I don't rate him as an all-time great center back, but he is definitely one of the outstanding defenders of this generation and a crucial part of one of the best defensive units of the last decade. His partnership with Bonucci is why I went with him. He compliments him very well — and he continued to do so even when Barzagli became too old to be a regular starter. The parallels between Bonucci and Koeman are pretty straight-forward for me — and I've compiled two quotes that further highlight my point:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Interesting, other than Xavi and Pique, pnut side could easily be in Shaved's Spain recreation thread. This is actually a very interesting tactical match that is going to take some time to think about

Indnyc

I quite like @P-Nut side.. Though would prefer a more B2B midfielder instead of Riquelme there..

Is Messi playing a false 9 of sorts?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I quite like @P-Nut side.. Though would prefer a more B2B midfielder instead of Riquelme there..

Is Messi playing a false 9 of sorts?
Yeah Messi is playing as a false 9 and Riquelme slightly higher than shown.

Pirlo deepest, Xavi in the middle and Riquelme as the most advanced. Hard to depict on a formation graphic though.

P-Nut

I'd like to point out that my aim was never to make the perfect or best team.

I wanted to work on an ideal and take it to the absolute maximum, to see just how effective as tactic can be with 11 players singing off the same hymn sheet.

There are no natural wingers in the side with Mazzola and McMannaman being more wide playmakers than wingers. They will never really cross the ball, unless along the floor and instead will recycle the ball to look for gaps to slot people through on goal.

The full backs don't need to overlap, (due to lack of crossing) so are more defensively sound and can stay in a position to again recycle the ball once cleared. Lahm is undoubtedly one of the most perfect players for the role, however Cole possibly requires a bit more explanation.

Cole was one of the few rivals to Evra as best LB of their time, however Cole was the more defensively sound and played the simpler pass more often than Evra, who would be likelier to overlap and cross.

Pique and McGrath are both sweepers in keeping with the essence of the side.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Interesting. Haven’t been thinking about this game much but I can actually see my team having a fighting chance here.

Voronin will be handling Messi like he did a false 9 version of Florian Albert in 1966. Messi is obviously a better player, but that will seriously help with the horrible Koeman-Messi match up.

Can’t see P-Nut’s team dealing well with Weah/Rummenigge/Savicevic/Koeman/Schuster runs. Especially Weah, who played like Ronaldo before Ronaldo — less skillful but even more physical version of him. Insert the obligatory Henry quote — can’t post it from the phone. The thought of Pirlo, Xavi and Riquelme trying to stop that freight train is quite funny. His center backs will be at disadvantage as they’ll face my attackers running at full speed.

His midfield will obviously have a lion’s share of possession, but neither Pirlo, nor Riqielme fit into my image of tiki-taka players (despite being amazing passers of the ball), so it won’t be as one-sided as it was with Barca midfield. They’ll be more direct and creative and they’ll lose the ball more.

harms

Staff
My worst player also faces his least threatening attacker, while Maldini will take care of Mazzola and will be useful if Messi’ll start one of his trademark runs from the right. Evani will drop back to deal with Mazzola in that case — I have better players on the bench but he suits the role best.

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
I'd like to point out that my aim was never to make the perfect or best team.

I wanted to work on an ideal and take it to the absolute maximum, to see just how effective as tactic can be with 11 players singing off the same hymn sheet.
I respect that, but I think the 'singing off the same hymn sheet' part is only designed for the attacking side of the game here.

Off the ball, while the back 4 is pretty good even with Pique in there, the team is bound to get overrun in midfield.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Find Pirlo - Xavi combo strange. Really don't have idea how it will work. Pirlo wasn't a possession type of player or one who would fit in that style imo.

@harms is that Schuster on the left side?

harms

Staff
Yeah. Had to put Voronin next to Koeman, and older version of Schuster would be confirtable in any central position, although ideally I’d still put him close to the right side.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Find Pirlo - Xavi combo strange. Really don't have idea how it will work. Pirlo wasn't a possession type of player or one who would fit in that style imo.

To be fair Guardiola was desperate to pair them together.

harms

Staff
When was this?

He could have wanted him in Busquets role is what I am guessing? Not sure if that would have been as effective as Barca actually were.
Not sure if desperate is the word, but I think Pirlo revealed that Pep contacted him in 2010. That would still be with Iniesta as well, not with Riquelme.

edit: It wouldn't surprise me if he considered him more of a substitute for Xavi than for Busquets. Although who knows?
Pep's words according to Pirlo said:
We're already very strong, I really couldn't ask for better, but you'd be the icing on the cake. We're looking for a midfielder to alternate with Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets, and that midfielder is you. You've got all the attributes to play for Barcelona, and one in particular – you're world class.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
To be fair Guardiola was desperate to pair them together.
Hm, interesting... find it a bit odd, but he is certainly a bit more authority on that matter. Still not sure who would he replaced in that midfield. It was absolutely perfect.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Hm, interesting... find it a bit odd, but he is certainly a bit more authority on that matter. Still not sure who would he replaced in that midfield. It was absolutely perfect.
Probably everyone. Pep loves his experiments.

We're looking for a midfielder to alternate with Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets, and that midfielder is you

P-Nut

I think people get a bit too caught up in Pirlos' ability to play between the lines and go direct, as not fitting into tiki-taka. When in reality he's more than capable of playing the same game as Busquets and deferring most of the creative work to those in front of him. Then, when the opportunity does arise to play someone in on goal with a direct pass, you have a player capable of doing so.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
When was this?

He could have wanted him in Busquets role is what I am guessing? Not sure if that would have been as effective as Barca actually were.
Pirlo said in his autobiography he almost signed for Barca when pep was there.