Luis Diaz

AneRu

You really ought to go and look at Sancho's record in Germany. Or Cavani and Ronaldo's record anywhere.
Just like Mkhitaryen, his record in Germany is worth nothing if he can't even replicate half of it in the PL for his new club. Diaz isn't world class but if he does the business for them for half of what we paid for Sancho then he is the better signing and they have made one too many of those whilst we have one too many in the poor to useless column.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Sancho’s record in Germany means nothing if he can’t replicate it here.
What's that got to do with what I said? If Sancho fails and Diaz is a big hit it won't be to do with talent, far more about coaching.

Giggsyking

What I meant by Keita level disappointment is the cost part mostly (50M+ fee), not Keita being a bad player, which is he is clearly not.

Keita's trouble is injuries, which in turn impacted his overall performances, but the simple fact is that he was an expensive player that didn't serve the purpose he was brought in for so far, but he is young enough to turn it around.
He is not good either.

LuckyScout78

A baller. Flair. Really good one on one. No mood player. Playing under a super energetic manager in Klopp. Who push that max out of the player. With Diaz already high winning and fighting mentality.

A player full of guts, determination + a manager full of guts and passion. Liverpool max full philosophy will get the max out of him. And when Diaz is on the max, speed, determination, flair and top ball control. On his max level. This is a player i will love to watch and will enjoy to watch. Luis Diaz is a baller.

40 mill £ plus add on is a good price. Its maybe Tottenham and Conte that are trying to get Luis Diaz in this transfer window. Why and maybe Liverpool and Klopp had to act and buy him now. If not not maybe Klopp will wait for him in this summer.

Compare him as attacking player and winger. I like him more than Jack Grealish. The total packet and end product of Luis Diaz is better than Grealish. So again 100 £ mill for Grealish. 40 £ mill plus add on is a really really good deal for any club that get Diaz. At this moment. Equal good as Grealish.
But i am glad Diaz best role is Mane position or maybe as CF like Jota or Firminio. So it mean Klopp has to drop or rotate one of Mane or Jota. And Mane is really good too. Same as Jota. Not sure how much they will strenght. But for the squad depth, like City. Definitely a quality and really good winger and attacking player.

Again. Diaz is a baller. He has the explosiveness, which make him really good one on one. Drive, passion and engine. Combine with a winning and beast mode mentality. He will definitely handle the pace, intensity of premier league. Dont worry about his speed, intensity and physical

Classical Mechanic

Compare him as attacking player and winger. I like him more than Jack Grealish. The total packet and end product of Luis Diaz is better than Grealish. So again 100 £ mill for Grealish. 40 £ mill plus add on is a really really good deal for any club that get Diaz. At this moment. Equal good as Grealish.
I like this paragraph 'I like him better than Grealish - he's better than Grealish - he's equal to Grealish' all in one fell swoop. The algorithm needs a bit of tweaking.

Righteous Steps

A C Milan are terrible. Hence why they've finished bottom of their CL group. They would be mid-table in the PL. Do they even have any Italian NT players? When were Arsenal getting battered off Liverpool or City in that nature? Klopp regularly puts out sides in the CL group stage that he wouldn't even play against the worst PL. Tyler Morton is a random youth player who has played 2 x 90 minutes in the CL but never played a single 90 minutes in the PL. That tells you everything about the level of some of these sides in the group stages. Liverpool beat Atalanta 5-0 on their home patch with a youth player that was on loan in non-league the season before in the centre of their defence. The likes of Porto and Milan come into those games with the confidence of winning most games in their domestic leagues and invariably get beaten easily. In the PL they'd be facing harder games every week and you'd see their level sink. What do you mean there's no top 4 in the PL? For the past two seasons it's been Liverpool, City, Chelsea and United. Those teams make up the top 4 now. There are 6 PL teams ahead of Porto in 17th in the UEFA club coefficients whilst AC Milan are ranked 40th! Since Porto last appeared in the Europa League final 10 years ago all those 6 English sides have appeared in the final of the major European trophies - Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Spurs all appearing in the Champions League final with United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool appearing in the EL final. All that considered I do think there's a gulf in quality presently and that these current Porto and Milan teams wouldn't get near the top 4 in the PL today.
It’s pointless judging players on leagues they come from in relation to the top 6-7 leagues in the world, you judge players based on their individual metrics and Diaz actually scored a great goal against City to go along with his performances in Copa America and Portuguese league this season, he is a very good signing.

Classical Mechanic

It’s pointless judging players on leagues they come from in relation to the top 6-7 leagues in the world, you judge players based on their individual metrics and Diaz actually scored a great goal against City to go along with his performances in Copa America and Portuguese league this season, he is a very good signing.
I wasn't judging him on simply on the league. I said that you need to be healthily sceptical of performances in a lesser league because they may not translate to a better league. If you look at my earlier post I also mentioned that it doesn't mean that a top player can't come from a lesser league because obviously they do. I did look at his metrics and his profile. He's 25 and his numbers in Portugal were unremarkable up until the first half of this season. He made 16 starts for Porto in the league last season and 14 sub apps with 6 goals and 5 assists. I also looked at his performances in 5 games against Liverpool, A Madrid and City over the past couple of seasons and he has 1 goal (that you mentioned) and 0 assists. At least from the stats he was fairly ineffective in those games. I said in my first post that I'm hoping this recent form was a purple patch. He may well go on to be a great signing.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He was excellent in last summer's copa America, scored an amazing goal v Brazil and generally good performances. Seems he's continued for Porto this year with hitting good numbers in domestic league.

Would imagine he'll be easy in rest of the season with sub cameos but probably expected to step up next year.

I think he'll do well personally.

Righteous Steps

I wasn't judging him on simply on the league. I said that you need to be healthily sceptical of performances in a lesser league because they may not translate to a better league. If you look at my earlier post I also mentioned that it doesn't mean that a top player can't come from a lesser league because obviously they do. I did look at his metrics and his profile. He's 25 and his numbers in Portugal were unremarkable up until the first half of this season. He made 16 starts for Porto in the league last season and 14 sub apps with 6 goals and 5 assists. I also looked at his performances in 5 games against Liverpool, A Madrid and City over the past couple of seasons and he has 1 goal (that you mentioned) and 0 assists. At least from the stats he was fairly ineffective in those games. I said in my first post that I'm hoping this recent form was a purple patch. He may well go on to be a great signing.
Yes but do you expect him to perform great against clubs who as you admit are unfairly balanced in regards to his own? There are players who play for better clubs who have just as bad records against those clubs, the Liverpool scouts would be pointing to his Copa America records where he was 2nd top goal scorer and his record this season as a breakthrough season, but more important they’ll be looking at if he has the pace strength and all round game to fit into the front three away from his stats, which he seems to have.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's not going in as a starter just yet though?

When Liverpool go to Man. City away Salah, Mane and perhaps Jota are all starting ahead of him if fit.

If Liverpool were 5th and did this signing to get them into top 4 then that's a much bigger gamble but given where they are they can ease him in gently.

Similar to when they got Robertson in. Looked o.k at Hull but nothing special when they got relegated and then had to bide his time for a few months at Liverpool but now one of best LBs in europe.

Pintu

A C Milan are terrible. Hence why they've finished bottom of their CL group. They would be mid-table in the PL. Do they even have any Italian NT players? When were Arsenal getting battered off Liverpool or City in that nature? Klopp regularly puts out sides in the CL group stage that he wouldn't even play against the worst PL. Tyler Morton is a random youth player who has played 2 x 90 minutes in the CL but never played a single 90 minutes in the PL.
Arsenal lost 4-0 and 5-0 to City and Liverpool this season. The last game in the League Cup, Klopp went with K Gordon (8 mn PL vs Brentford), and his reserve keeper and Reds still won 2-0 at the Emirates.

Milan has some NT players from Italy, France, Danmark, Belguim, Portugal. That's players from 5 of the current Fifa top 10. So you clearly don't know much about Milan, do you?

And even if they didn't have NT players, my point was almost the entire Italian national squad came from teams that ended the season behind Milan, so according to your logic these players are playing championship-level and they somehow won the Euros.

All that considered I do think there's a gulf in quality presently and that these current Porto and Milan teams wouldn't get near the top 4 in the PL today.
Tottenham 2019 are certainly a better team. There is no disputing that. Rankings based on 5 years are not relevant. We are talking about Tottenham 2022, the team that lost to Vitesse and Moura and was kicked out of a group stage in Conference League. You are beyond delusional if you think Milan and Porto are nowhere near Tottenham and Arsenal.

Then again, my initial argument was about Diaz being a CL player, not only a Portuguese league player.

Josh 76

He was excellent in last summer's copa America, scored an amazing goal v Brazil and generally good performances. Seems he's continued for Porto this year with hitting good numbers in domestic league.

Would imagine he'll be easy in rest of the season with sub cameos but probably expected to step up next year.

I think he'll do well personally.
Fred was excellent in the Copa America too.

sangria

A baller. Flair. Really good one on one. No mood player. Playing under a super energetic manager in Klopp. Who push that max out of the player. With Diaz already high winning and fighting mentality.

A player full of guts, determination + a manager full of guts and passion. Liverpool max full philosophy will get the max out of him. And when Diaz is on the max, speed, determination, flair and top ball control. On his max level. This is a player i will love to watch and will enjoy to watch. Luis Diaz is a baller.

40 mill £ plus add on is a good price. Its maybe Tottenham and Conte that are trying to get Luis Diaz in this transfer window. Why and maybe Liverpool and Klopp had to act and buy him now. If not not maybe Klopp will wait for him in this summer.

But i am glad Diaz best role is Mane position or maybe as CF like Jota or Firminio. So it mean Klopp has to drop or rotate one of Mane or Jota. And Mane is really good too. Same as Jota. Not sure how much they will strenght. But for the squad depth, like City. Definitely a quality and really good winger and attacking player.

Again. Diaz is a baller. He has the explosiveness, which make him really good one on one. Drive, passion and engine. Combine with a winning and beast mode mentality. He will definitely handle the pace, intensity of premier league. Dont worry about his speed, intensity and physical
So is he any good?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He's been the best player in the Portuguese league pretty comfortably this season. Not unlike Bruno in that regard - though Bruno had a longer track record at or around the top spot.

I'd be surprised if he flops. He's been very durable and I think his floor is high enough that he's unlikely to be a disastrous signing, with plenty of upside to boot. Very annoyed Liverpool have gotten him honestly.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Confirmed by LFC now. Excited to see what he can do in the Premier League.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If it's really only £37.5m then I think that's a bargain. Well suited to Klopp's style and a very good player.

PoTMS

This is a signing that is going to annoy a lot of us long term. Everything about that club is so well run right now, even with their stingy owners.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Great signing. Klopp can turn him into a proper World Class player. Probably Mane's future replacement.

Poor Conte. Another deal hijacked. :lol:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Who gets dropped or is he a backup?
We'll know more after the customary 3-4 months of Klopp not giving him any gametime in order to bring him up to speed in training.

Honestly, he might be a very good player for all I know, but to be as good as Mané and Salah (let's not forget Mané in top form was absolute world class and equally important for Liverpool's successes) is a very high bar that I can't see him clearing. So I say, backup.

laughtersassassin

Didn't know much about him but from watching his clips he looks like the perfect Klopp winger in terms of style.

VivaRonaldo85

Another quietly efficient signing done by a club with a very good footballing and scouting structure upstairs for not silly money in the modern market. Now wouldn’t that be nice….

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Don't they need strength in other positions?
I'm not sure to be honest. Our defence is pretty well established now and our centre half options Konate, Matip, Gomez and Williams are decent enough. We have good cover for Andy Robertson (Tsmikas) and TAA (Neco Williams) as well. Our back up keeper is decent too so the defence is OK right now.
Midfield is an area we need a couple of reinforcements in although now we have Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliott back, we don't look too bad. Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago will start. Ox, Jones, Milner, Keita and to an extent, Morton, can provide adequate cover, but I'd like to see another signing there in the summer.
Up front we now have Jota, Firmino, Mane, Salah and Diaz. Origi and Minamino can also provide cover when needed. We're well stocked with good options throughout at the moment, and just need tweaks here and there.
Diaz will provide competition for Mane who hasn't looked great recently. This may give him the incentive he needs to improve, but I'm happy with our squad going into the business end of the season.

Josh 76

I'm not sure to be honest. Our defence is pretty well established now and our centre half options Konate, Matip, Gomez and Williams are decent enough. We have good cover for Andy Robertson (Tsmikas) and TAA (Neco Williams) as well. Our back up keeper is decent too so the defence is OK right now.
Midfield is an area we need a couple of reinforcements in although now we have Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliott back, we don't look too bad. Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago will start. Ox, Jones, Milner, Keita and to an extent, Morton, can provide adequate cover, but I'd like to see another signing there in the summer.
Up front we now have Jota, Firmino, Mane, Salah and Diaz. Origi and Minamino can also provide cover when needed. We're well stocked with good options throughout at the moment, and just need tweaks here and there.
Diaz will provide competition for Mane who hasn't looked great recently. This may give him the incentive he needs to improve, but I'm happy with our squad going into the business end of the season.
It’s just a myth that Liverpool haven’t got a strong squad. You are still in 4 competitions. If Liverpool don’t win any silverware, there will be no hiding place for Klopp this season!

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
It’s just a myth that Liverpool haven’t got a strong squad. You are still in 4 competitions. If Liverpool don’t win any silverware, there will be no hiding place for Klopp this season!
Klopp doesn't need to hide anyway. He's done more for Liverpool than anyone expected and whilst it would be a disappointment if we didn't win anything, he certainly wouldn't be worrying for his job.

goptun

Klopp doesn't need to hide anyway. He's done more for Liverpool than anyone expected and whilst it would be a disappointment if we didn't win anything, he certainly wouldn't be worrying for his job.
Would be another hugely disappointing season to finish emptyhanded, though. There's no telling whether Salah will even be at the club beyond the summer.

FriedClams

Unfortunately, he will be able to hide behind their recent CL and PL success for quite some time.

Hastar

Supports
Liverpool
We have also put in a bid for Carvalho. Edwards really going out with a bang.
(I know Julian Ward is making these deals, with Edwards taking a secondary role).

Josh 76

You sound like a Leicester fan!