Luis Figo

DVG7

I had to go back and watch old footage of Michael Laudrup to appreciate how good he was, and I feel like anyone born mid 90s onwards would have to do the same for Luís Figo.

Without Cristiano, he would be widely recognized as the best Portuguese player since eusebio but his 3rd place in the all time Portuguese legend standings seems almost irrelevant, such is the superstardom of CR7.

What was the full story behind his move to Real Madrid? I remember the controversy, the pigs head etc, but I think it was a purely political thing at the time in terms of the Real Madrid presidency and Florentine Perez saying if he was elected, Figo would join. If that’s true, how did they get Barca to agree to it? Guardiola is godfather to one of figos children, and the fans adored him, he really had no reason to move on. I believe It was around the time of this transfer that Barcelona started investing heavily in La Masia (Messi joined the academy around the same time figo departed) and the rest is history as they say, the galactico experiment that began with figo wasn’t as rewarding as it should have been, and in the background Barca were moulding a team of stars who would go on to become one of the best sides ever.

My enduring image of figo comes from the semi final of the euros between France and Portugal, after Abel Xavier gave away a penalty in extra time golden goal. Figo didn’t even stay to watch as he saw zidane step up, and proceeded to smack it directly into the top left hand corner. He just knew he wouldn’t miss.

so, how good was he? And why did he cross enemy lines in that manner?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Best winger of his time, until his compatriot took over.

Champagne Football

He was much better at Barca alongside Rivaldo then he was for Madrid. It was an ill-advised move regardless of the financial package on offer.

The pigs head getting hurled onto the pitch when he was taking a corner in the El Clasico, was symbolic of the betrayal felt.

Bobski

Superb player, is underrated now because he was never a prolific scorer, the rise of wide forwards who are scorers first, second and third, makes it an awkward comparison with more traditional wingers who were generally creating for a strike pair and tasked with a large defensive responsibility as well.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
He was the third or fourth best player of his generation.

1. R9
2. Zidane
3/4. Figo = Rivaldo
5. Nedved

RooneyLegend

Amazing players especially at Barca where he didn't play like a traditional winger unlike at Madrid. His influence on that side was great. Basically a more talented Ribery.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
It's only recently Cristiano has surpassed Figo for me. My favourite player growing up. Didn't need pace to beat a man and didn't need to smash the ball to work his magic. In the cultured left foot thread the poster askes does a "cultured right foot" not exist? Figo had it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I remember us being linked with him in the late 90s. Was always hoping SAF would sign some of those absolute world class players. Got linked with Thuram too for a bit, if I recall.

Easily the best winger in Europe in his prime.

Luke1995

At the 2006 World Cup he was still considered the star of the team

EasyE

Who was better - Figo or Beckham? Same playingtime scales right? Same positions. Neither relied on pace. Both godly looking. So, who was better?

EasyE

Figo and it’s not even close
1 nil to the Figo - anybody else concur? I'm sitting on the fence. I thought technically he was incredible - but I've never seen someone else bend it like Beckham.

Righteous Steps

1 nil to the Figo - anybody else concur? I'm sitting on the fence. I thought technically he was incredible - but I've never seen someone else bend it like Beckham.
Figo easily, he was arguably at one time as good as Zidane for me.

criticalanalysis

Mate, it's not even worth asking this one.

Figo was easily a level above.

If Beckham had developed and continued his box to box, action peak during those treble years (where he was truly phenomenal) then we would be having a different discussion but his overall game was too limited to be compared to Figo, who had all the tools.

crossy1686

career ending
I need to go back and watch some footage of Figo because I don't remember him being anything more than average in the games I saw him play.

Inter Yer Nan

I had to go back and watch old footage of Michael Laudrup to appreciate how good he was, and I feel like anyone born mid 90s onwards would have to do the same for Luís Figo.

Without Cristiano, he would be widely recognized as the best Portuguese player since eusebio but his 3rd place in the all time Portuguese legend standings seems almost irrelevant, such is the superstardom of CR7.

What was the full story behind his move to Real Madrid? I remember the controversy, the pigs head etc, but I think it was a purely political thing at the time in terms of the Real Madrid presidency and Florentine Perez saying if he was elected, Figo would join. If that’s true, how did they get Barca to agree to it? Guardiola is godfather to one of figos children, and the fans adored him, he really had no reason to move on. I believe It was around the time of this transfer that Barcelona started investing heavily in La Masia (Messi joined the academy around the same time figo departed) and the rest is history as they say, the galactico experiment that began with figo wasn’t as rewarding as it should have been, and in the background Barca were moulding a team of stars who would go on to become one of the best sides ever.

My enduring image of figo comes from the semi final of the euros between France and Portugal, after Abel Xavier gave away a penalty in extra time golden goal. Figo didn’t even stay to watch as he saw zidane step up, and proceeded to smack it directly into the top left hand corner. He just knew he wouldn’t miss.

so, how good was he? And why did he cross enemy lines in that manner?
He had a release clause (as all players in La Liga did) and Nunez was notorious for underpaying even the superstars. Figo was underpaid at Barca. He wasn’t even one of the biggest earners. Barca has no say as it was too late when Real came knocking on Figo’s door and wooed him.

He was great at both teams but I felt Barca got more of his prime. I think he was probably one of the top three of four players of his era. I personally felt between 1998-2002 he was the best player in the world. I rank him 5th of the greatest players of the last 30 years behind Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Messi, Zidane. He was an incredible dribbler of the ball, had great crossing, could play through the middle too. Great shot on him and he was a great leader. Such a talent.

Charlie Foley

Re the switch to Madrid, if I recall correctly I read that his arrangement had a number of contingencies etc. in it that were considered unlikely. When he first signed the agreement I don’t think he expected to actually end up at Real. Club president elections played a role. I will look up the details tomorrow if no one else has by then as I’m quite tired now :lol:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Where he stands above his peers and most other great right wingers over the years was the range of his toolkit. Unlike many who were only top class in one aspect of wing play, he had it all. He could dribble and he could cross. His right peg could bend it into the box with pace and whip, with a dead or moving ball, but it could also bludgeon a ball from range or delicately chip it over the keeper closer in.

He could cut inside onto his left and either deliver well or go direct, as he showed against Roberto Carlos here:

While very few natural wide players have the smarts and awareness to excel in the centre, he could also move inside and play as a classic 10 as he did at Real Madrid and often for Portugal. He could play anywhere across the attack, knew how to adapt his game as part of a collective, and would have fitted into any team.

Last edited:

Based Adnan

Story goes he struck a deal with Perez that if Perez was appointed President of Real Madrid, he would trigger Figo's release clause and Figo would join them. If he wasn't appointed president, Figo would get a large sum of money for essentially doing nothing. Thinking that Perez wouldn't get appointed, Figo struck the deal. Once Perez was appointed, Figo wanted to stay at Barcelona but would have to pay a significant amount of money to get out of the deal with Perez which neither he or Barca were willing to do so he ended up joining. Barca obviously had no say in the matter as his release clause was met and probably felt they shouldn't have to pay a large amount of money to another club just to keep a player already under contract with them.

Worth noting that Perez's whole campaign was based on signing Figo if he was elected.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Real had paid the release clause, so they didn't need to convince Barca.

As Figo said later, Perez pulled out one of the most incredible transfers of all-time. It was a time for a presidential election at Real Madrid, and Perez wasn't the favourite — that would be Lorenzo Sanz who had recently passed away from COVID-19 :( So Perez went to Figo's agents and made them an incredible offer — to sign a preliminary contract that Figo would sign for Madrid if Perez gets elected... but if he doesn't, Figo is free from any contractual responsibility. And he gets a hefty sum of 2,5 million euros for basically nothing.

Figo himself had also used this preliminary contract in his negotiations with Barca, but they didn't want to raise his salary even further. And then Perez surprisingly got elected (mostly on the back of his promise of bringing in Figo) & Figo had to sign for Real Madrid or pay them 35 millions from his own pocket to make this contract void :lol:

edit: @Based Adnan :o

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Who was better - Figo or Beckham? Same playingtime scales right? Same positions. Neither relied on pace. Both godly looking. So, who was better?
Figo. He was a fantastic crosser/long distance shooter/free kick taker on his own, even though probably slightly worse than Becks at every of those components. But he was one of the best dribblers in the world (or, dar I say it, of all-time) and his playmaking traits (I mean creative short/middle passing) were on another level.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I need to go back and watch some footage of Figo because I don't remember him being anything more than average in the games I saw him play.
Same. Just reading this thread makes me think he's a little overrated because the majority of games I saw him play he was regularly good but nowhere near 'top 5' in the world. I admit I didn't watch his Barca days - so it could be that I didn't see his better days?

Same level of Zidane - absolutely not from what I saw.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Figo. He was a fantastic crosser/long distance shooter/free kick taker on his own, even though probably slightly worse than Becks at every of those components. But he was one of the best dribblers in the world (or, dar I say it, of all-time) and his playmaking traits (I mean creative short/middle passing) were on another level.
Hard not to agree. Beckham's set pieces were better overall, but in open play Figo crossing was amazingly accurate. Figo's main asset was his amazing dribble rate per match which would force the opponents defense to loose organization, because someone had to cover the guy who Figo just dribbled past behind.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Have you seen Figo's wife?

There's no comparison

Redcy

Figo was definitely considered better at the time, he was more of a mix of giggs and beckham. Better at Barca than Real though

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He was definitely better at Barcelona - more of a swashbuckling winger - compared to the more pedestrian version at Real.

Inter Yer Nan

Figo was definitely considered better at the time, he was more of a mix of giggs and beckham. Better at Barca than Real though
I love Becks but yeah Figo was definitely better overall. It's not even close. Same with Giggs. All great players. Figo was still great at Madrid and some say he became better because he played more roles but like you I'll take the Barca version of Figo. I remember me and my stepdad took a trip to Barcelona when I was a kid and it was the day Rivaldo got the Balon D'or and my stepdad didn't watch much Spanish football but pointed out Figo as being by far the best player on the field.

Thinking about the three best Portuguese players ever. Outside of Brazil and Argentina is there a country with a better big three than Portugal? I honestly don't think there is.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
That is a point and a half. Eusebio, Cristiano and Figo are nothing to grumble at.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Outside of Brazil and Argentina is there a country with a better big three than Portugal? I honestly don't think there is.
There are a few of at least similar level (imo), but Portugal is the smallest I can think of.

Inter Yer Nan

That is a point and a half. Eusebio, Cristiano and Figo are nothing to grumble at.
Yeah, I was thinking, surely Cristiano is top 5 ever? No worse than a top 10 guy. Eusebio is almost certainly a top 10 guy and I haven't done an in depth list but I'd imagine Figo is a borderline top 20-25 guy. France I think has a great three (IMO) with Platini, Zidane, Henry but I don't see any of them as ahead of Eusebio or Cristiano.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Thinking about the three best Portuguese players ever. Outside of Brazil and Argentina is there a country with a better big three than Portugal? I honestly don't think there is.
Yeah, I was thinking, surely Cristiano is top 5 ever? No worse than a top 10 guy. Eusebio is almost certainly a top 10 guy and I haven't done an in depth list but I'd imagine Figo is a borderline top 20-25 guy. France I think has a great three (IMO) with Platini, Zidane, Henry but I don't see any of them as ahead of Eusebio or Cristiano.
Depends on how we rate defenders or midfielders vis-à-vis attackers like Cristiano and Eusébio. If they get the requisite appreciation, there are a couple that are as good, if not marginally better...

Germany: Beckenbauer (Top 5-ish), Müller (Top 10-ish), Matthäus (Top 10-20)
Netherlands: Cruyff (Top 5-ish), Van Basten (Top 10-ish), Rijkaard (Top 10-20)

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Absolutely destroyed us at the Bernabeu in 2003, best player on the pitch by a mile.

Josh 76

If you think Figo was average. Can you tell me some players that you think were great?

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Same. Just reading this thread makes me think he's a little overrated because the majority of games I saw him play he was regularly good but nowhere near 'top 5' in the world. I admit I didn't watch his Barca days - so it could be that I didn't see his better days?

Didn't realise Zidane and Figo were the same age! For me I'd put Figo at Barca > Zidane at Juve. When they were both at Madrid, Zidane in front. Both retired at the 2006 World cup. Zidane obviously had the better tournament but in the Portugal vs France game he was pretty quiet as France sat back on their goal lead and Figo with Ronaldo put on the pressure. Figo at Inter was a weird one, fizzled out towards the end.

thepolice123

I remember the first time I watched him I was actually shocked that there was someone in football whose ball control was every bit as good as Zidane's.

Johan Cruyff said:
Figo is the last present I left Barca's heritage. I bought him for two million dollars and they sold him for 60 million. That's good business.

I will make no comment on the whys and wherefores which have taken Figo to Real Madrid.

I can only say that a player who is happy somewhere never leaves.

Figo has a special talent few players have. Like Zidane, he is able to take responsibility for the team at difficult moments.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
At the 2006 World Cup he was still considered the star of the team
He was maybe still the bigger name internationally but Cristiano had better tournaments than him both in 2004 and 2006 and was already the better player by a big margin by then. Figo didn't actually play the qualification for the 2006 WC which caused controversy and we had one of our best qualifications ever with Ronaldo and Deco regularly putting on a show and Pauleta scoring for fun. Lots of people were calling for Figo to not get called up for the WC and there was a lot of tension, it was a weird situation.

Figo had a long career and enough longevity but his years at the very top were very few, 1999-2000 and 2000-01 he was as good as anyone in the world imo. But by 2004 and 2006 which were historical years for Portugal he already wasn't at that level. Euro 2000 was his tournament but unfortunately there was a certain Zinedine Zidane that stole the spotlight.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
He was the third or fourth best player of his generation.

1. R9
2. Zidane
3/4. Figo = Rivaldo
5. Nedved
This. He was unlucky to have had his prime when he did too, 1998-2002 were crazy years with lots of incredible players having their peak years.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Figo easily, he was arguably at one time as good as Zidane for me.
Didn't realise Zidane and Figo were the same age! For me I'd put Figo at Barca > Zidane at Juve. When they were both at Madrid, Zidane in front. Both retired at the 2006 World cup. Zidane obviously had the better tournament but in the Portugal vs France game he was pretty quiet as France sat back on their goal lead and Figo with Ronaldo put on the pressure. Figo at Inter was a weird one, fizzled out towards the end.
Here's a very old thread from another forum, asking the question of Zidane vs Figo vs Rivaldo

https://www.xtratime.org/threads/zizou-figo-or-rivaldo-the-best-in-the-world.11302/

The debate seems very balanced and there's a variety of viewpoints, with no clear winner.

That thread was from 2000, when those three players were all in their prime.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP

Will never forgive him for that last miss. Best chance we'll ever have of playing a WC final.

He was cursed at international level, the shitshow that were the 1998 and 2002 World Cups, the way we missed out on the final in 2000 and 2006 plus the way we lost the final in 2004... honestly believe he could have been remembered on the same level as Zidane had a couple of moments gone slightly different.