Luis Nani | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
From day one he had to be Ronaldo mk2. For me that has contributed to all the negative views on Nani and ultimately his downfall.

He could dribble and he could whack a ball in the top corner...but why was he never allowed to just be Nani?

Either way I've no issue with him leaving providing his talent is replaced with some potentially as good if not better. I've also got no issue if there is something of a u-turn and he stays.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Its a shame that we have not really seen him and Kagawa play together.

They are 2 players who i bet would be on the same wavelength. Have they ever started a game together?.

Cina

They started the first game of the season (Everton) together.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
We've still not seen:

---------Van Persie-------
Kagawa---Rooney-----Nani
-----Cleverley--Carrick----

I don't think so at least. That was the one everyone was looking forward to at the start of the season but I'm sure we've not even seen it once.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We've still not seen:

---------Van Persie-------
Kagawa---Rooney-----Nani
-----Cleverley--Carrick----

I don't think so at least. That was the one everyone was looking forward to at the start of the season but I'm sure we've not even seen it once.
Second half against Tottenham was closest we came to it, but with scholes instead of cleverley. And I remember that was a really good half of football.

Mad Winger

Nani's career for us have been a bumpy ride so far. His two first seasons were awful, and I almost cringed everytime I saw him in the starting lineup. Then he had two brilliant seasons, one of which he deservedly became POTY. Last season was good enough, but nothing out of the ordinary. He was heavily overshadowed by Valencia imo. This season.. Well, he's not played much, so there's obviously not much good to say. He's been decent when he's played though.

Overall I'd say he's been a mild success for us. The two "golden seasons" made him worth the money we payed for him, even though it took him long enough to reach that level.

gza the genius

His two golden seasons started when he was 23, still relatively young. He was good last season up until Carragher's tackle on him, but yeah Valencia was still better. This season he's been injured and not given a run of games so I don't really expect much else from him. Losing him will be a shame, he's a unique player in our squad, one of the few capable of creating something from nothing. If he goes we really need to try and get a similar replacement.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I thought Nani had a good first season considering he was a youngster arriving from a different and playing in a superior league. The second one was a let down though

Cina

His two golden seasons started when he was 23, still relatively young. He was good last season up until Carragher's tackle on him, but yeah Valencia was still better. This season he's been injured and not given a run of games so I don't really expect much else from him. Losing him will be a shame, he's a unique player in our squad, one of the few capable of creating something from nothing. If he goes we really need to try and get a similar replacement.
Better that season? Don't be ridiculous.

Mad Winger

Losing him will be a shame
While I don't dislike Nani nor want him to leave, I have to disagree with this. Nani has always, even in his best seasons, been very inconsistent and injury prone. Despite having a great talent, this is just too much for me to overlook. But that might just be me though. I've always valued consistent players who manage to stay fit. Carrick and Evra are pretty much gods to me because of this..

I agree that Nani is a unique player, but I'd rather we sign a new and similar player now. Someone who has a bit of flair, without it affecting their consistency and fitness. Götze would have been perfect...

Annahnomoss

Seems to be very personal between Nani and Ferguson especially hearing Bebe's interview stating so too.

Nani is better the more confidence he has and the bigger role he has the better he plays. Fergie seems to be very rough on him considering that.

Cina

Nani got injured by Carragher last season didn't he? Nani was better the previous two. My memory is shit so I could be wrong.
No, 10/11 Nani was better, he got injured by Carragher in February 2011. Valencia was definitely better last year.

gza the genius

While I don't dislike Nani nor want him to leave, I have to disagree with this. Nani has always, even in his best seasons, been very inconsistent and injury prone. Despite having a great talent, this is just too much for me to overlook. But that might just be me though. I've always valued consistent players who manage to stay fit. Carrick and Evra are pretty much gods to me because of this..

I agree that Nani is a unique player, but I'd rather we sign a new and similar player now. Someone who has a bit of flair, without it affecting their consistency and fitness. Götze would have been perfect...
Nani was very consistent the 09/10 and 10/11 seasons, he definitely had distanced himself from the inconsistency claims of his first couple seasons. He started out 11/12 very well too but injuries ended up ruining the second half of the season for him. If given consistent game time I think Nani can be a very consistent player, even if he does have a lower level than other players he's still the most likely to create something out of nowhere for us.

Gotze would've been a good replacement, Isco would be my top pick currently but there's nothing saying we'll get a good replacement in for him which is a worry.

PatrickP

If Nani leaves I will be gutted.

I would rather watch a United team with Nani in (Who sometimes gives the ball away for trying to do something with it) than with Valencia or Young who 9 times out of 10 play the simple ball back to Rafael or Evra respectively.

it is dull football and I have been brought up with wingers that want to attack. Nani is the only one out of the 3 who has that as his main priority. I really don't understand why a lot of United fans slate him for trying to make things happen

LR7

Seems to be very personal between Nani and Ferguson especially hearing Bebe's interview stating so too.

Nani is better the more confidence he has and the bigger role he has the better he plays. Fergie seems to be very rough on him considering that.
I vaguely remember the Braga coach(?) saying something about this. Like some players respond to shouting/harsh words whilst others (like Nani) are more sensitive.

Either way I think SAF has probably tried different methods all with the intention of getting the best out of him. I do think he's a confidence player though but man management is one of SAFs biggest strengths.

Aboutreika18

No, 10/11 Nani was better, he got injured by Carragher in February 2011. Valencia was definitely better last year.
Yeah, he and Berba (two of our most criticised players, ironically) carried us through the first 2/3 or so of that season.

Valencia spent most of that season injured although he came back very well.

Drifter

American

I would rather watch a United team with Nani in (Who sometimes gives the ball away for trying to do something with it) than with Valencia or Young who 9 times out of 10 play the simple ball back to Rafael or Evra respectively.

it is dull football and I have been brought up with wingers that want to attack. Nani is the only one out of the 3 who has that as his main priority. I really don't understand why a lot of United fans slate him for trying to make things happen
Zaha will bring us that, and as for Nani he as just not turned out how SAF expected.

gza the genius

Are you sure? Nani won our player of the year award in 10/11 and I'm almost positive he didn't get injured by Carragher that season. It doesn't really matter though, I think we agree but our seasons are off. Valencia was definitely better last season, Nani the previous two.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Ok, so I'm getting sucked back into the player comparison stuff I was complaining about a few posts back. Oh well, here goes.

Why do people seem to think that all Valencia (and, to a lesser extent, Young) is capable of is the inhibited displays from this season? Surely you can remember back to when he was an extremely direct and very attack-minded winger. Basically, what we saw in the second half against Villa.

Sure, Nani is an extremely creative and potent attacking player on his day but so are both our other wingers when they're on top of their game too! All three of them have very different styles but all three of them can create and score goals for the team.

The only real difference for me is that Nani can be playing poorly for 80 minutes yet still create something out of nothing. The other two tend to withdraw into their shell if they're not having a good game. Either way, it's no less frustrating watching Nani play badly than it is watching our other wingers. Frustrating in different ways but frustrating all the same.

Cina

I just didn't think his injury was in the season he won our player of the year award for some reason. But yeah, you're right.
He was largely crap after the injury too. Valencia displaced him for our run in to the CL final and was largely excellent. Nani was just unreal up until his injury though, he basically had a goal or assist a game. I miss that Nani!

gza the genius

He was largely crap after the injury too. Valencia displaced him for our run in to the CL final and was largely excellent. Nani was just unreal up until his injury though, he basically had a goal or assist a game. I miss that Nani!
See, I remember him turning crap after the injury which is the main reason I thought that couldn't have been the season he won it.

But yeah, we haven't seen that Nani in a while. He started out last season well if I remember correctly (who knows now though) but he hasn't had the consistency this season or last season that he had in the previous two.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I like the way how some people are saying how unique he is in our squad, that he can create something out of nothing & that if he goes we need to replace him with someone who can do the same.

Well, who & how much?

An awful lot more than what we can sell him for & what we will have to pay in wages to this replacement.

Why waste time & money doing that when we already have the answer. Give him a decent contract, some encouragement like a decent run in the side & don't drop him as soon as he stops performing at 100% then we can move forward.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Yeah, he and Berba (two of our most criticised players, ironically) carried us through the first 2/3 or so of that season.

Valencia spent most of that season injured although he came back very well.
Nani did. Berbatov helped get us through the 2010 part, until Hernandez decided he was a clinical little bugger. But that's a year old debate irrelevant to the Nani thread.

10/11 was Nani's season and it was a shame Carragher slowed it down for him, he deserved the clean run to the CL final,but after Anfield he struggled to play at the high standard he set that season.

Drifter

American
So Zaha at such a young age is the answer?

We should have 4 wingers anyway
Well i can't see SAF dipping in the market for a winger , so that may be the answer as well as maybe giving Adnan Januzaj a chance.

Care_de_Bobo

Gotze would've been a good replacement, Isco would be my top pick currently but there's nothing saying we'll get a good replacement in for him which is a worry.
Not sure we need a replacement, we'll have Zaha, Young, Giggs, Welbeck, Kagawa and Valencia who can all play wide.

He hasn't exactly contributed much this season anyway, hardly featured in the league which we won with ease, his faffing about in the dying seconds against Chelsea cost our youngsters a great win in the League Cup, his sending off against Madrid swung the tie in their favour(obviously not his fault) and he was abysmal in the cup quarter final against Chelsea.

It's a shame because a couple of years ago it looked like he was going to step up and become one of the very best players in the world but right now he's more inconsistent and devoid of any confidence than I can remember than at any time since he joined.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I like the way how some people are saying how unique he is in our squad, that he can create something out of nothing & that if he goes we need to replace him with someone who can do the same.

Well, who & how much?

An awful lot more than what we can sell him for & what we will have to pay in wages to this replacement.

Why waste time & money doing that when we already have the answer. Give him a decent contract, some encouragement like a decent run in the side & don't drop him as soon as he stops performing at 100% then we can move forward.
Colin, have you just discovered the "&" on your keyboard? :lol:

gza the genius

Just because we've done fine in the league this season without him doesn't mean he doesn't need replacing. Are any of you really comfortable/happy with our wing play this season? Surely it's something we'd want to improve on and selling Nani is just taking away another option. Zaha is the only addition so far and it's impossible to say how well he'll do next season.

gza the genius

Well, who & how much?

I think most people seem to be saying we should just keep him, but at this point that seems very unlikely, which means we need to find an adequate replacement.

Cina

Buttner ... fill in ... there's a joke in there somewhere.

Revan

Assumptionman
Better that season? Don't be ridiculous.
Probably Valencia was better at the end of 2010-2011 season. Ironically he returned from the injury when Nani got injured from that tackle. But considering the entire season, then Nani was the better of two, and in a close contest with Vidic for being our best player of the year.

Valencia was superior last season, no doubt about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.