Lukaku Footwork Appreciation Thread

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I've been surprised by his crossing ability, it is really good.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Lukaku has markedly improved his link-up play, to my observation at least, the past couple of months. His one-touch passing, hold-up play, one-twos, spatial awareness etc. have all gone up a notch recently.

Comparisons with Morata are inevitable considering the respective transfer sagas last summer but I for one am glad we have the Belgian and I can see him scoring a flood of goals for us in the coming years.

BulgarianDevil91

Great footwork and balance shown by Rom to set up Martial's goal. He seems to have improved a lot lately in this aspect, hope he keeps it up.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Think he should be converted to a winger to be honest. Looks something else entirely down either wing, mostly on the right.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
His football brain with the ball at his feet impresses me, he rarely makes poor decisions and seems to have decent vision, however his feet are terrible. if a smaller, weaker and slower player had his level of technical ability he wouldn't even be in the league.
True. Lukaku's brain is okay but he still looks physically clumsy to me.

arthurka

Very well done for the goal.. It was shocking to see how badly his teammates played around him and found him.. He looks in good form lately.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
His footwork and touch are inconsistent for me (fantastic at times but Rooney like at others). His strength and pace makes him a nightmare when he manages to bring the ball under control though. People just bounce off him and then he's shifted the ball and is away from them before they can recover. He's created bags of chances for either himself or a team mate this season as a result.

He's one of the few players we have who when you see someone in on goal, you trust him to actually play the pass without c*nting around. He would also I suspect have a fair few more goals if so many of his team mates weren't so shockingly inept at doing the same thing. For every 5 times Lukaku is in on goal, I reckon he gets played the ball once, if he's lucky.

RedDevil95

The video with Lukaku and Carragher really showcases Lukaku's intelligence and footballing brain. I feel like when ever pundits talk about him they always talk about his size but not his intelligence. Lukaku's link up play has also been very impressive this season. The game against Arsenal stands out for me. I love having Lukaku at this club.

SirAF

Ageist
Lukaku has markedly improved his link-up play, to my observation at least, the past couple of months. His one-touch passing, hold-up play, one-twos, spatial awareness etc. have all gone up a notch recently.

Comparisons with Morata are inevitable considering the respective transfer sagas last summer but I for one am glad we have the Belgian and I can see him scoring a flood of goals for us in the coming years.
Agreed. My brother gave him hell today, but I like him quite a lot and was pleased with his overall contribution.

roseguy64

His footwork and touch are inconsistent for me (fantastic at times but Rooney like at others). His strength and pace makes him a nightmare when he manages to bring the ball under control though. People just bounce off him and then he's shifted the ball and is away from them before they can recover. He's created bags of chances for either himself or a team mate this season as a result.

He's one of the few players we have who when you see someone in on goal, you trust him to actually play the pass without c*nting around. He would also I suspect have a fair few more goals if so many of his team mates weren't so shockingly inept at doing the same thing. For every 5 times Lukaku is in on goal, I reckon he gets played the ball once, if he's lucky.
Agree with this post. Especially the last part which was highlighted earlier with Rashford choosing to try something on his own instead of playing the first time pass to Romelu with only the goalie to beat as the Burnley player was behind him and he would have held him off.

LLMU

Executing a pass and landing on his bum seems to be his specialty. Jokes aside, his vision and ability to draw defenders are his strength. Was pissed when Rashford ignored him when he was wide open late in the game.

Ashley R1+O

He's just such a beast with a head of steam up. Regardless of how ultimately silky he is, I think his footwork is much better than people give him credit for.

Judas

Open to offers
I've given him a bit of stick recently, but he's been much better the last couple of games, could just do with much better service.

I think he's actually improving which is good to see, hopefully he keeps it up.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
He has some of the worst footwork I have ever seen from a professional footballer. Of course you will be able to find clips when it comes off once in twenty attempts.
Overall, he can do a job for us due to his power and physicality but his footwork is surprisingly bad for a professional player. If he had good footwork he would be a world beater.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yes, he can be pretty skillful when he gets going.

Did well for the goal yesterday too.

On numerous times he held it up and then switched it to one of the flanks, which is how we ended up scoring.

Greck

Decision making is very mature. Would have more chances to score if the others followed. I say chances and not goals because he also has a tendency to miscontrol good passes that should put him through on goal.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Guy has minimal technique because, and I'm no expert, he never needed it when he was growing up.
Exactly. He was probably that guy that was 6'2 at 13 years old and would just blast through everyone with power and size, despite lacking any skill. Doesn't quite work at the top level.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Exactly. He was probably that guy that was 6'2 at 13 years old and would just blast through everyone with power and size, despite lacking any skill. Doesn't quite work at the top level.
Had a lad like that at school. Scored 40 in a season but he would have so many howlers or missed open goals. Couldn't translate that to senior football.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He will very likely end the season on 30+ goals, not a bad return at all for a technically inefficient player.
And we might finish fourth. 30 goals against the lower teams and in games we have effectively won can really pad out the stats.

I like Rom and want him to do well but his technique and our game plan is exposing him.

We should not lump it up to him or play it into his feet, I think he needs to be constantly in behind where he can finish first/second time.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
And we might finish fourth. 30 goals against the lower teams and in games we have effectively won can really pad out the stats.

I like Rom and want him to do well but his technique and our game plan is exposing him.

We should not lump it up to him or play it into his feet, I think he needs to be constantly in behind where he can finish first/second time.
He's scored the winning goal on a fair few occasions this season and he's popped up with the equaliser a couple of times to. He was brought in to a team that, prior to his arrival, held an impressively poor chance conversion rate. His clinical nature in front of goal - at least earlier in the season when the team were generally performing well - has seen that conversion rate near double that if the previous seasons under LVG and Jose's first season charge.

The only Prem player I'd take ahead of him at present is Harry kane whom I've long been a fan of. Of course the likelihood of acquiring his signature is slum to none, so we're stuck with Lukaku for better or worse.

Rajma

Agree with Scholes and Rio, on the panel they all tried to be as diplomatic as possible but the guy is weak and can't bring others into play just doesn't use his massive body to protect the ball well enough. He works hard but as Shearer said that is not something players should receive credit for as it should be a given, however, he's just not good enough. He's not our main problem at the moment by the way - far from it but I don't see him succeeding long-term with us once we bring an attacking minded coach.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Quite embarassing how we celebrate any game where he looks competent at controlling the ball for 90 minutes with gifs showing him making the most basic of firs touches you'd expect of a premier league CF, let alone someone who is the most expensive CF in the history of the game.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Quite embarassing how we celebrate any game where he looks competent at controlling the ball for 90 minutes with gifs showing him making the most basic of firs touches you'd expect of a premier league CF, let alone someone who is the most expensive CF in the history of the game.
Everton did excellent business.