Luke Shaw: ‘I could hardly walk for six months, never mind play football’ (Interview With Guardian)

Lebowski

Excellent interview.

Interesting to hear his thoughts on the tackle itself and the PSV lad. He speaks quite candidly, and it chimes with most of the reports of him as a person as by all accounts he's a fairly normal lad and a popular figure among the first team.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Let's not forget that a week or so later Moreno nearly broke some other guy's leg in the league, he's a fecking cnut, that's who he is.

Smores

Good and open interview that, glad he feels that he's in the right state of mind as tgat was always going to be another big hurdle.

All these recent interviews the players seem to be much happier. Great to see

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
Great read and i'm happy for Shaw, that he made it back. What i don't like, are people calling Moreno names, being a United supporter doesn't give you any right to insult other players. Moreno is a clumsy player and sometimes it's dangerous to play against him, but that's it. It's football - things like that happen. Shaw says it was a bad challenge, he has any right to say that, but he is the only one who has that right, in my opinion (EDIT: This is silly, please ignore it, of course people are "allowed" to judge the challenge as such). He also said, that Moreno came to the hospital and apologized.

Last edited:

Kostur

海尔的老板
Great read and i'm happy for Shaw that he made it back. What i don't like, are people calling Moreno names, being a United supporter doesn't give you any right to insult other players. Moreno is a clumsy player and sometimes it's dangerous to play against him, but that's it. It's football - things like that happen. Shaw says it was a bad challenge, he has any right to say that, but he is the only one who has that right, in my opinion. He also said, that Moreno went to the hospital and apologized.
Yea, we sure don't have a right to call him a cnut but he does have a right to be a clumsy cnut and break other people's legs. It's alright because he's clumsy.

Moreno is a cnut.

Nick7

Great read and i'm happy for Shaw, that he made it back. What i don't like, are people calling Moreno names, being a United supporter doesn't give you any right to insult other players. Moreno is a clumsy player and sometimes it's dangerous to play against him, but that's it. It's football - things like that happen. Shaw says it was a bad challenge, he has any right to say that, but he is the only one who has that right, in my opinion. He also said, that Moreno came to the hospital and apologized.
That's bullshit though, isn't it. Might as well never talk about football if only players can deem what's bad or not.

pseudo_canadian

Shaw is my favorite player at the club, and the fact that he's come back from that horrific break just shows the courage and drive he has.

I really admire him as a person and player. He can become an all-time great for us.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He comes across a lot smarter and more sensible than I'd have previously given him credit for there.

Fair play.

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
Yea, we sure don't have a right to call him a cnut but he does have a right to be a clumsy cnut and break other people's legs. It's alright because he's clumsy.

Moreno is a cnut.
No, it isn't alright. He made a mistake and he made mistakes before and he will make mistakes again, just like me and you. Every footballer knows that there is a risk to play against clumsy players. In my opinion, you don't have any right to call any person, who you don't know personally, a "cnut", but i'm sure our opinions differ there.

pseudo_canadian

Great read and i'm happy for Shaw, that he made it back. What i don't like, are people calling Moreno names, being a United supporter doesn't give you any right to insult other players. Moreno is a clumsy player and sometimes it's dangerous to play against him, but that's it. It's football - things like that happen. Shaw says it was a bad challenge, he has any right to say that, but he is the only one who has that right, in my opinion. He also said, that Moreno came to the hospital and apologized.
It was a sloppy, overly aggressive tackle that should have been a red card.

He's a grade-A cnut in my books.

Kostur

海尔的老板
No, it isn't alright. He made a mistake. Every footballer knows that there is a risk to play against clumsy players. In my opinion, you don't have any right to call any person, who you don't know personally, a "cnut", but i'm sure our opinions differ there.
Yeah, I'm sure our opinions do differ. Clumsiness doesn't have to equal breaking somebody's legs and this trash has nearly managed to get two players down within a week. The guy who played in the league was simply lucky. And iirc Shaw wasn't the first victim of his.

There's being clumsy, being unlucky and being a shit like Moreno.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Some people on this forum said it wasn't a red...feck off. How can you go in with such force in the penalty area? Fecking reckless challenge. Even Colina said it was a red. That Moreno guy is a cnut.

Adisa

Why the feck should it be ok for a player to be dangerous?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
He gave other reasons for signing for United than just thinking he'd get more first team football when he signed!

He's one of my favourite United players. I hope he stays for his whole career

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
It was a clear red and a stupid tackling, but if people, who do things you don't like or even hate are "cnuts" to you, then fair enough. I'm sure, there are some sophisticated people on this forum somewhere, who can differentiate between sport and the risks of sport and stuff that makes you a real "cnut"...

Adisa

It really annoys me they [Uefa] gave him man-of-the-match. Some people were saying it was a good challenge, others were saying it was a bad challenge. For me, it’s a bad challenge.”
Spot on. Was a fecking slap on the face. Might as well have spat on us.

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
Why the feck should it be ok for a player to be dangerous?
It wasn't ok. It was a bad tackling. As you said, it was a reckless challenge. But even reckless challenges are part of sports. If Moreno is a "cnut" what are terrorists to you? Wrong forum i guess, but i'm just wondering, why people can't just say, they hated the way he challenged Shaw and that's it.

Adisa

It was a clear red and a stupid tackling, but if people, who do things you don't like or even hate are "cnuts" to you, then fair enough. I'm sure, there are some sophisticated people on this forum somewhere, who can differentiate between sport and the risks of sport and stuff that makes you a real "cnut"...
He is a reckless player. Nearly took someone's knee out in the very next game. Players who do not care about the safety of their opponents are cnuts.

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
He is a reckless player. Nearly took someone's knee out in the very next game. Players who do not care about the safety of their opponents are cnuts.
Fair enough, if that is enough for you to call someone a "cnut" :smirk:

Adisa

Fair enough, if that is enough for you to call someone a "cnut" :smirk:
I am not singling out Moreno. Imo, if any player is constantly reckless, hes a cnut. Even if he plays for Man Utd.

VanGaalEra

Ashley fecking Young takes over from Phil Jones

It was the happiest Luke Shaw had ever been to take a whack from one of his team-mates. “A proper swipe, too,” Shaw remembers, reaching down to the part of his right leg where Ashley Young had connected in training. A bad one? “Not enough to knock me over, but you could hear the crack against the shin-pad. It was the first time anyone had really kicked me since I started training again and as soon as it happened, Youngy’s reaction was [hands up to his face]: ‘Ah, shit.’

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
No, it isn't alright. He made a mistake and he made mistakes before and he will make mistakes again, just like me and you. Every footballer knows that there is a risk to play against clumsy players. In my opinion, you don't have any right to call any person, who you don't know personally, a "cnut", but i'm sure our opinions differ there.
What a load of sanctimonious bollocks.

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
I am not singling out Moreno. Imo, if any player is constantly reckless, hes a cnut. Even if he plays for Man Utd.
That's fine with me, my problem is, that "cnut" (and even its german equivalent) is not in my active vocabulary at all, so i wouldn't call any player that name - in my opinion it's...savage? But that's ok, no problem, people have different ways of describing things, english isn't my first language and at least we agree that it was a very bad challenge.

Dyslexic Untied

I still haven't really seen the tackle in replay. Leg breaks freak me out, and something about a young, positive kid getting his leg busted makes it unwatchable for me.

Brilliant interview btw.

Adisa

That's fine with me, my problem is, that "cnut" (and even its german equivalent) is not in my active vocabulary at all, so i wouldn't call any player that name - in my opinion it's...savage? But that's ok, no problem, people have different ways of describing things, english isn't my first language and at least we agree that it was a very bad challenge.
Maybe the German equivalent is used in a more derogatory manner. It's used very often here.

BigTimeCharlie

I wonder how our season would have changed had we been given a penalty and red card against PSV. Surely we wouldve qualified for the CL knockout stages and then who knows.

krombacher92

Good read. I can imagine how he felt all this time. After I tore my cruciate ligament and got surgery, I went on crutches for 6 weeks before I could start my rehabilitation and it was terribly depressing. I really thought I would never be the same again as before. To make this through for 6 months must have been absolutely terrible.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Even by Caf standards that's a silly thing to say.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think the fact he has been able to watch it back and understand what happened is a massive step forward to getting over is injury, especially mentally.

I don't think many people would want to see it, they would just tuck it in the back of their minds forever.

Refreshingly honest and open interview. He comes across well and glad he's back where he wants to be.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Especially good to read that first bit.
It was the happiest Luke Shaw had ever been to take a whack from one of his team-mates. “A proper swipe, too,” Shaw remembers, reaching down to the part of his right leg where Ashley Young had connected in training. A bad one? “Not enough to knock me over, but you could hear the crack against the shin-pad. It was the first time anyone had really kicked me since I started training again and as soon as it happened, Youngy’s reaction was [hands up to his face]: ‘Ah, shit.’

“Nobody had wanted to be the one to do it. You could tell he felt really bad – ‘Shit, are you OK?’ – but he didn’t have to. He’d hit my leg and it was fine. ‘I’m good, I’m good.’ And I was. I was really good. It was fine, and I’d needed that kick.”
My father always said that you can tell a lot about somebody by the rigidity of their shin.

BarstoolProphet

It wasn't ok. It was a bad tackling. As you said, it was a reckless challenge. But even reckless challenges are part of sports. If Moreno is a "cnut" what are terrorists to you? Wrong forum i guess, but i'm just wondering, why people can't just say, they hated the way he challenged Shaw and that's it.
What the feck? Not only is the argument weird as hell but you also want to dictate what people should feel and what the meaning of words should be. On top of that you suggest we should accept dangerous (as in prone to commit reckless tackles, not that they're gonna blow themselves up) players on the basis of them being "clumsy"?