Luke Shaw injury for England | sustained concussion and returned to Manchester (6 day rest period)

Blatzo

Fencing is a reflex that happens in babies up to 6 months. Mild traumatic brain injury causes it to reoccur. I don't believe it has anything to do with protecting from a fall.
I'd read that it's theorized that from an evolutionary perspective those who exhibited fencing when knocked unconscious were more likely to survive and reproduce than those who didn't.

Perhaps just a case of humans trying to find an explanation for something which irrational.

Nick7

I'd read that it's theorized that from an evolutionary perspective those who exhibited fencing when knocked unconscious were more likely to survive and reproduce than those who didn't.

Perhaps just a case of humans trying to find an explanation for something which irrational.
It's related to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetrical_tonic_neck_reflex

I don't think we truly know the cause or reason but it's thought that brain injury to the brainstem makes it recall this reflex

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Just saw it. Poor fella. Just as he was looking like the Shaw of old this goes and happens. Fingers crossed he makes a quick recovery.

Scott Lewington

Got knocked out no??? Played very well before that, he looks to be turning a corner and hopefully this is a minor set back (rest for United :))

prateik

Even if its a concussion, it's 2 weeks isnt it?
Young in at LB then

Greck

Even if its a concussion, it's 2 weeks isnt it?
Young in at LB then
His tour's over then. Probably isn't displacing Young, deserved or undeserved. We're back to having Mr stop-and-go holding back fluidity on the left

Ashley R1+O

Oh my right royal fecking god. Somebody said in the thread that he was selected "watch him get injured now". Absolutely shattered for him, glad to see it is not overly serious but the guy couldn't have any worse luck to go along with the rewards he's achieved this season working his bollocks off.

Gutted for him.

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
Oh my right royal fecking god. Somebody said in the thread that he was selected "watch him get injured now". Absolutely shattered for him, glad to see it is not overly serious but the guy couldn't have any worse luck to go along with the rewards he's achieved this season working his bollocks off.

Gutted for him.
Just can't catch a break.

suhaylah

Will be gutted if he miss the match against Watford. Can't see us win this match unfortunately. Watford has won all their matches.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Will be gutted if he miss the match against Watford. Can't see us win this match unfortunately. Watford has won all their matches.
They’re in good form and it will be a tough match but I doubt they will win every game. Young is fully capable of coming in and doing a job and has a good record against his former club.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Just as he's doing well this shit happens:rolleyes:

Hope he recovers quickly.

SpyLuke10

From a 'how long will he be out?' perspective its only a minor setback fortunately.

He'll miss the Watford game but be back for sure for the Wolves game I reckon.

A concussion in professional sport is most of the time just a 'miss 1 game' kind of injury.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Fecking internationals. This felt like it was almost bound to happen. Hopefully this doesn't put any new fear in him and hopefully he's back to his recent good form soon.

predator

Youth NITK
Really have come to like him to the point where he is one of my favourite United players atm. He's been a breathe of fresh air recently compared to others in the squad. And he is very good when he's fully at it and unhindered by injuries.

Something to look forward to for us lot.

ObieDeMoon

Well it isn’t, but this injury was sadly so predictable.
InrerInternat friendlies ARE a waste of time!

Okay have a few warm up games for the big comps. No need to have an international game so early in the season... It's a joke!!!

matecro007

Can anyone confirm about Mourinho texting and smiling while Shaw was down? Is it false?

ObieDeMoon

Everyone says this same spiel until the World Cup comes along and they all want to fill their summer watching it. Perhaps they think teams should just appear at major tournaments with no qualification or preparation.

Nobody likes their precious league seasons interrupted, but it should be easy enough to appreciate the necessity. Unless you also think the Euros and World Cup is a waste of time, which is a far less commonly held view.

It's still a waste of time mate

We need an rvn

He'll be fine for next Saturday. The rest on Tuesday will help him.
Not necessarily according to some health websites / rugby concussion protocol.

The minimum time they CAN be back playing is 7-10 days but can easily last a few weeks. The way he was knocked out rather than say the Liverpool keeper, I'd think he'd be back in 2 weeks. Misses 1 game for us perhapd

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
InrerInternat friendlies ARE a waste of time!

Okay have a few warm up games for the big comps. No need to have an international game so early in the season... It's a joke!!!
And how do we decide who qualifies for these big tournaments?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yea, can’t see how Manchester United could possibly cause an upset and beat Watford. Ffs!

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Not necessarily according to some health websites / rugby concussion protocol.

The minimum time they CAN be back playing is 7-10 days but can easily last a few weeks. The way he was knocked out rather than say the Liverpool keeper, I'd think he'd be back in 2 weeks. Misses 1 game for us perhapd
Why would the minimum recovery time for a Rugby player have any relevance on Luke's recovery period ?

It makes no odds how bad it looked.

ZAGREB RED

Looks like another bump in the road for LS as he tries to play his way back into better form, hard luck on him again, to say the least. His ball in for Rashford was sublime, but hopefully this injury won't turn out to be anything more than a simple concussion and he will be back soon. He has been one of United's few bright spots this season and really looks like putting together a run of form and establishing himself in United's starting team.

::sonny::

It’s interesting to see how the players get injured.

I remember Javier Zanetti getting two injuries in 25 yrs, playing 500+ games in every single continent.

Shaw, Jones, Rojo are injury magnets

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
It's better for the team but not for the player. Just ask the NFL guys.
Different situation. That's repetition of head knocks, rarely one.

(fwiw, very impressed with Shaw, def surprised me in terms of turnaround.

Don't get the slow, cutback, lack of attack comments about Young. Sounds more like Valencia)

Last edited: