Kick-off
Sun, 18 February 2024 @ 4:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    ..................VS......................

Date: Sunday, February 18 2024

Kickoff Time: 1630 Hrs GMT
    Venue: Kenilworth Road, Luton

League Standings And Form Guide

6. Manchester United: LDWWW
    17. Luton Town: LDWDL

Previous League Meetings

Manchester United 1—0 Luton Town

Luton Town 1—1 Manchester United

Manchester United 5—0 Luton Town

Manchester United 4—1 Luton Town

Luton Town 0—1 Manchester United

All-Time League Record

Manchester United wins: 28
    Luton Town wins: 4
    Draws: 7

Pre-Match Pressers

Erik ten Hag

Rob Edwards

Team News

Manchester United

Anthony Martial, Tyrell Malacia, Mason Mount and Lisandro Martínez ruled out. Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Luke Shaw doubtful.

Luton Town

Marvelous Nakamba, Tom Lockyer and Mads Andersen ruled out. Daiki Hashioka doubtful.

Know The Opposition

Luton Town Football Club (nicknamed The Hatters) is a professional football club based in Luton, Bedfordshire, England. They was formed on 11 April 1885. Before this there were many clubs in the town, the most prominent of which were Luton Wanderers and Luton Excelsior. A Wanderers player, George Deacon, came up with the idea of a 'Town' club which would include all the best players in Luton. Wanderers secretary Herbert Spratley seized upon Deacon's idea and arranged a secret meeting on 13 January 1885 at the St Matthews school rooms in High Town. The Wanderers committee resolved to rename the club Luton Town – which was not well received by the wider community.

Luton Town's first achievement was perhaps to become the first professional club in the south of England, at a time when professionalism was mainly restricted to the north. Most players had to work on a Saturday morning and were often late for a game, which annoyed the crowd. It also meant shortened games in the dark winter months. On 15 December 1890, a salary of five shillings per week was offered to three players – Frank Whitby, Harry Whitby and Tom Read – to replace their lost earnings for Saturday morning, to ensure they arrived at the game on time. The club was a founder member of the Southern Football League in the 1894–95 season and finished as runners-up in its first two seasons. It then left to help form the United League and came second in that league's inaugural season before joining the Football League for 1897–98.

Luton Town are the first football team to return to the top tier of English football after successive relegations down to the fifth tier of English football. Their supporters maintain a bitter rivalry with Hertfordshire-based Watford. Watford were the higher ranked team at the end of every season from 1997 until 2022. However, overall Luton still hold the superior record in the fixture between the two clubs; out of 120 competitive matches there have been 55 Luton victories and 38 for Watford, with 29 draws. They play their home games at Kenilworth Road.

Referee

David Coote.

Familiar Faces

Tahith Chong (2016—23) and Teden Mengi (2009—23)

Red Royal

Time to rack up a huge win, big GD impact and chance to rotate a few with 30 minutes to go. Who am I kidding a tipsy turvy nervy 3-2 win for us will be fine.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
    Time to rack up a huge win, big GD impact and chance to rotate a few with 30 minutes to go. Who am I kidding a tipsy turvy nervy 3-2 win for us will be fine.
    A chance to catch up on Spurs and Villa in the 20 goal gap in our GD eh @Dirty Schwein ?
    Nobody has really smashed them this season, there have been a few games where they've conceded 4 but they scored 4 against Newcastle and 3 against Arsenal. I doubt we'll rack up the goals here, we'll need to fight for a win.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    Nobody has really smashed them this season, there have been a few games where they've conceded 4 but they scored 4 against Newcastle and 3 against Arsenal. I doubt we'll rack up the goals here, we'll need to fight for a win.
    Ahuh… it was more that Dirty is a Luton fan so a gentle jibe. Not a real life thing

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
    I love you brother but we're enemies this weekend.

Hopefully the lads show up after that shit show against Sheffield. We usually do after a bad performance.

United might win but you'll have to work for it.
    Good luck :yawn:

Still p!ssed at them losing against SU and chucking me out of Last Man Standing (was down to last 18 :()

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
    Very tough fixture this, they have given nobody an easy game at Kenilworth this season. Varane and Maguire are probably suited to their approach though.

madzo2007

Why is there posts about us smashing Luton, has no one watched them lately?

They have been playing well, scoring plenty and on a good run..... until yesterday.

Our record in recent years away to newly promoted teams hasn't been great.

BorisManUtd

Luton obviously lost yesterday but recently beat Brighton 4-0 at home and got that crazy 4-4 draw at Newcastle. Of the 3 times promoted last season they seem to be only ones having a decent season so I'm sure it won't be an easy one.

Hopefully Shaw will be ready for this one so we can start same team as today. Playing one game a week for rest of the season (apart from when we've got Fa Cup fixtures and early April) and have to make most out of it.

always_hoping

Luton at home against the top five this season

1-1 v Liverpool
    1-2 v Man City
    3-4 v Arsenal (winner in the 97th minute)
    0-1 v Tottenham
    3-1 v Aston Villa

Nothing easy and Luton raise their game at home against better sides.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
    They've been good recently but I think a bit chaotic, which will hopefully suit us. We need to win the couple games before and after the City loss.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
    It might just be a weird feeling but whenever we play a promoted team away from home and that team hasn't been in the league (Prem usually ever) for years and years then we always lose. Fully expecting all 11,000 in Kenilworth Road to turn into 110,000 and they'll be on top of us the entire game.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
    Like going to the Britannia this after they come up.

Any win here and we are proper in the top four race. Especially with other games that weekend (note I don’t actually know what games are on next weekend but I just like to imagine all the teams around us are playing each other)

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
    Can’t get carried away. Can see this being tougher than the wolves, West Ham games.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
    Like going to the Britannia this after they come up.

Any win here and we are proper in the top four race. Especially with other games that weekend (note I don’t actually know what games are on next weekend but I just like to imagine all the teams around us are playing each other)
    Villa have Fulham away which is tough and spurs have wolves which is a tough one.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    Luton at home against the top five this season

1-1 v Liverpool
    1-2 v Man City
    3-4 v Arsenal (winner in the 97th minute)
    0-1 v Tottenham
    3-1 v Aston Villa

Nothing easy and Luton raise their game at home against better sides.
    So we’ve got the chance to be the first of the big 6 to lose at Kenilworth Road? feck.

always_hoping

So we’ve got the chance to be the first of the big 6 to lose at Kenilworth Road? feck.
    Villa lost and when top of the table Liverpool was lucky to grab a draw against them it highlights a expected tough game in Kenilworth Road and if United are to win it will be every bit as hard earned as todays game.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
    Anything less than a double figure goals scored by us, which is to include a hat trick by Hojlund that he had to kneel down to head over their line will be unacceptable.

An embarrassing defeat could be on the cards

Todd

We're not catching any of the teams around us in regards goal differential. Spurs and Villa are 15 and 18 goals better off than us as far as that goes.

Gordon S

They will put up a hell of a fight, i`m sure. Need to grind it out again.

Bwuk

If Shaw isn’t fit, I really don’t want to see Amrabat or Lindelof at LB.

If Dalot has to play LB, I’d be tempted to chuck McSauce in at RB. Hes played as a RCB before for Scotland. Gives us another goal threat from set pieces too.

432JuanMata

Winning games, young players looking good, frontline firing and looks like we have turned a corner.

We all know what is coming here. Let’s hope we keep the momentum going as today we did the hard work by keeping top 4 alive be devastating to drop points here.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Rasmus Hojlund image Rasmus Hojlund 67% of 291 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 283 ratings.

Score Predictions