Kick-off
Sun, 18 February 2024 @ 4:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

SER19

first of 2 huge games. Im going to assume we lose to city, so beating luton and fulham is essential - after city, we play everton at home the same weekend as spurs v villa, so a real chance to have caught one of them by then, but 6 pts needed in next 2.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
    first of 2 huge games. Im going to assume we lose to city, so beating luton and fulham is essential - after city, we play everton at home the same weekend as spurs v villa, so a real chance to have caught one of them by then, but 6 pts needed in next 2.
    Spurs don't play next weekend so there's actually a chance to go level on points before City if we don't mess it up.

SER19

Spurs don't play next weekend so there's actually a chance to go level on points before City if we don't mess it up.
    yeah, a real chance to add pressure and build some momentum. as well as take a little pressure off ourselves going to city.

NLunited

If we lose will you tell us we were right to have concerns about our performances?
    Concerns without taking into account circumstances or the quality of the opponents is moaning. Especially after a win.

Chumpsbechumps

If we lose will you tell us we were right to have concerns about our performances?
    Don’t conflate “im not looking for ETH to be sacked” with “I have no concerns on anything with the way United have been playing”. That’s just bad faith argument.

The issue with the proper whingebags is that they spam threads with negative sh*t regardless of how a game went. They don’t listen to any reasons given to why people are willing to give ETH and the team some time to build some momentum. They just repeat the same stuff over and over again as if none of us are aware of it.

It’s been a sh*t season. ETH has at least some responsibility for that, I’ve no issue with that.

If United win tomorrow I don’t think it proves ETH should be kept. It’s just another step in the right direction that suggests maybe he can recover from what went before.

If United lose, there will be an avalanche of almost ecstatic perverse euphoria of “I told you so” from some posters who are just desperate to be “proven right”. ETH could of been effectively dead man walking since Ratcliffe started bidding on the club for all we know.

I want to see United win, I don’t care if I am right or wrong , nor does it make any difference on this forum if I am right or wrong. But this obsession you have with the manager is odd and it’s odd that some of you can’t see that it is an obsession.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
    People need to stop writing off the City game. I was very annoyed with Neville’s dismissiveness of it last week saying ‘everyone gets beat by them so forget that one’.

I always look at these things from the perspective of the other team. City have their own ambitions, and are looking at where they are going to pick up the points to catch up. When looking at their own fixture list, they will certainly be classifying the United game as one of the difficult and non-guaranteed games. If we were in a title race with City, it wouldn’t even take say, City vs Liverpool for us to have hope. If we see City have Spurs, Villa or even fecking Wolves on a Saturday - these are games we will be approaching as opportunities for them to drop points.

Absolutely we need to win the rest, but we need to go to Etihad and look to win that too, as we have done a number of times before.

Reactions: Invictus

SER19

People need to stop writing off the City game. I was very annoyed with Neville’s dismissiveness of it last week saying ‘everyone gets beat by them so forget that one’.

I always look at these things from the perspective of the other team. City have their own ambitions, and are looking at where they are going to pick up the points to catch up. When looking at their own fixture list, they will certainly be classifying the United game as one of the difficult and non-guaranteed games. If we were in a title race with City, it wouldn’t even take say, City vs Liverpool for us to have hope. If we see City have Spurs, Villa or even fecking Wolves on a Saturday - these are games we will be approaching as opportunities for them to drop points.

Absolutely we need to win the rest, but we need to go to Etihad and look to win that too, as we have done a number of times before.
    I dont mean to write it off, but I have very low expectations. Weve surprised people in big games sometimes in recent years, and also took some batterings. Overall, i think that if we lose it, it wont be what makes or breaks us getting CL football. Hopefully seeing how chelsea did there today gives us some confidence, and certainly if we win the next 2, we'll go there quite high on confidence while city will have lots of pressure on them so who knows. But it could very very easily be another dreadful day at the office.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
    Supports
    Luton Town
    Why is this arguement breaking out :lol:

Realistically, we will put up a good showing of ourselves after conceding a goal due to an individual error and United will win 2-1.

Telsim

So, in the last 5 games we are undefeated, with 1 draw and 4 wins. We scored 15 goals, although we conceded a lot, too. In the last three games, we defeated three strong teams. Our forwards are clicking together at last, and even Onana had a good game. We have finally hit a bit of form and things are looking up. Top 4 looks somewhat doable. Now, we are facing newly promoted Premier League minnows Luton. How fortuitous!

What could possibly go wrong?

cyberman

A fecking Men. Also they keep ignoring Citys shit record in big games these days. It’s a winnable game if we’re on form

soapythecat

This is exactly they type of opponent and timing from which we’ve dropped points these last few seasons. A real opportunity to close the gap. Wouldn’t be surprised one but to see Luton win tomorrow.

Lost bear

Luton are my PL team of the season thus far. Watching them bumble their way through the playoffs to get promoted had me expecting them to be contesting Derby for the worst points total the league has ever seen, and they started off looking like good money for that. Since then, they’ve metamorphosed into a competitive PL side, playing football on the deck and giving teams with squads 10* more expensive than theirs absolute fits to claim anything from them.

Miraculous and one thing is for sure; they will run and run all game vs. us in a stadium they’ve made a real fortress relative to their standing. Will be interesting to see how we perform there as teams above us have had real tough games there.
    Yeah. No room for complacency at the mad hatters’ tea party.

cyberman

Luton are my PL team of the season thus far. Watching them bumble their way through the playoffs to get promoted had me expecting them to be contesting Derby for the worst points total the league has ever seen, and they started off looking like good money for that. Since then, they’ve metamorphosed into a competitive PL side, playing football on the deck and giving teams with squads 10* more expensive than theirs absolute fits to claim anything from them.

Miraculous and one thing is for sure; they will run and run all game vs. us in a stadium they’ve made a real fortress relative to their standing. Will be interesting to see how we perform there as teams above us have had real tough games there.
    Luton have won 3 from 12 times at home? Thats one more than Sheff Utd. Their home record is actually worse relatively to their standing. It’s only one less than their away record and they’ve played more games at home!

Dirty Schwein

Supports
    Luton Town
    Luton have won 3 from 12 times at home? Thats one more than Sheff Utd. Their home record is actually worse relatively to their standing. It’s only one less than their away record and they’ve played more games at home!
    As I said earlier, We've played City, Newcastle, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea at home. From those, only played Chelsea and a Newcastle away. That's why our home record looks worse on paper than it is.

cyberman

As I said earlier, We've played City, Newcastle, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea at home. From those, only played Chelsea and a Newcastle away. That's why our home record looks worse on paper than it is.
    Oh I agree but you’re still not winning at home. I do think Luton makes it tough but there’s no excuse if we don’t get three points tomorrow. No offence but Burnley and Sheff United have won there

Dirty Schwein

Supports
    Luton Town
    Oh I agree but you’re still not winning at home. I do think Luton makes it tough but there’s no excuse if we don’t get three points tomorrow. No offence but Burnley and Sheff United have won there
    I guess the manner of our home games Vs big teams means United need to be on their best to get the 3 points. Liverpool got a last minute draw, arsenal scored a 97th minute winner, city won a narrow 2-1 etc.

George The Best

I guess the manner of our home games Vs big teams means United need to be on their best to get the 3 points. Liverpool got a last minute draw, arsenal scored a 97th minute winner, city won a narrow 2-1 etc.
    Yes, but Sheffield United beat them away a week ago. We have to win this after the Spurs result today.

Gordon S

So, in the last 5 games we are undefeated, with 1 draw and 4 wins. We scored 15 goals, although we conceded a lot, too. In the last three games, we defeated three strong teams. Our forwards are clicking together at last, and even Onana had a good game. We have finally hit a bit of form and things are looking up. Top 4 looks somewhat doable. Now, we are facing newly promoted Premier League minnows Luton. How fortuitous!

What could possibly go wrong?
    I think is is different this time. We have nothing else going on right now, just the chase for top 4. Erik has said that we are in no position to underestimate anyone. We should have the focus and determination to grind out another win here.

Dannn411

Another must win. Under no circumstance should anything less than 3 points even be entertained.

didz

By the time we play City we'll be on a 7-game winning run and ready to roll over them through sheer momentum alone.

As for Luton, we're gonna absolute batter them 2-1.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
    By the time we play City we'll be on a 7-game winning run and ready to roll over them through sheer momentum alone.

As for Luton, we're gonna absolute batter them 2-1.
    Spot on but we smash Luton 1-0 today.

Bruno pen (87).

Unam333

I fully expect a United win today. Luton Town are 20th. You need to beat these teams if you want to play CL football.

Northstand

I fully expect a United win today. Luton Town are 20th. You need to beat these teams if you want to play CL football.
    Not sure which table you’re looking at but according to the BBC they are 17th.

Unam333

Not sure which table you’re looking at but according to the BBC they are 17th.
    Argg... My mistake, I think I mixed up their total points tally with their league position. Still, they are 17th, bottom half of the table. They are there for a reason. Other than a United win today is considered a failure.

lysglimt

Scout
    Yeah - both Villa and Spurs will lose a lot of points until the end of the season - so if we can beat clubs like Luton and Fulham we should be able to catch up with them. And to be honest, Villa's final 8 games look really tough - so if we can stay within 4-5 points of them before that - we should have a more than decent chance

And all teams have a really tough final 6-7 games of the season
    Spurs have Newcastle (a), City (h), Arsenal (h) and Liverpool (a) in consecutive games
    United have Chelsea (a), Liverpool (h), Newcastle (h), Arsenal (h) and Brighton (a) in our final 8 games
    Villa have City (a), Arsenal (a), Chelsea (h), Brighton (a), Liverpool (h) in their final 8 games - probably the toughest end to the season of the 3

Bertie Wooster

Would be really nice to get the 3 points today to take advantage of some good results yesterday.

On the flip side, those results take a bit of pressure off what will be a tricky away game and a point wouldn't be an awful result - though it would add pressure to get something from the even harder upcoming City away game.

We've got a very winnable 4 or 5 matches either side of that City game. But then a tough run in. So we need to take advantage and pick up as many points in those games as we can. Luton and Brentford away are the trickiest, and we can probably afford to draw 1 and win the other 4 (with anything from City away a bonus). So although we can afford to draw today, it would add extra pressure to the other games.

DRJosh

Supports
    United minus the Glazers
    If we had Martinez, I’d be confident of a convincing win. He is the primary cog in our attack as much as he is a defender

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
    If we had Martinez, I’d be confident of a convincing win. He is the primary cog in our attack as much as he is a defender
    I think Luton’s a bad match up for him. There’s more to deal with in the air than on the ground. Maguire/Varane is a good duo for this game.

DRJosh

Supports
    United minus the Glazers
    I think Luton’s a bad match up for him. There’s more to deal with in the air than on the ground. Maguire/Varane is a good duo for this game.
    That’s actually a good point and one I hadn’t considered! Feel better about the game now somewhat

Chumpsbechumps

Current points target if season was to finish based on average points to date:

4th spot needs 75 points
    5th spot needs 72 points

I think Villa and spurs will drop more points until the end of the season relative from start to now. I think 70 points maybe enough for CL but we should target 75.

Target 29-35 points from 42. The higher end obviously being a much tougher target. However the Villa away win is huge, leaving us one less top 5 team to play.

City, Liverpool and arsenal have to still play us , Villa and spurs. One major difference is that Villa still have to play spurs. If we can match or do better then Villa/spurs in these three Matheus we make up ground. Then Villa v spurs knocks points off one or both.

Also, spurs have an awful end of April, playing all three of the top sides in a row. If we are Within 4 points of spurs come end April we have them.

Gotta win today of course or above doesn’t mean shit

SER19

Yeah - both Villa and Spurs will lose a lot of points until the end of the season - so if we can beat clubs like Luton and Fulham we should be able to catch up with them. And to be honest, Villa's final 8 games look really tough - so if we can stay within 4-5 points of them before that - we should have a more than decent chance

And all teams have a really tough final 6-7 games of the season
    Spurs have Newcastle (a), City (h), Arsenal (h) and Liverpool (a) in consecutive games
    United have Chelsea (a), Liverpool (h), Newcastle (h), Arsenal (h) and Brighton (a) in our final 8 games
    Villa have City (a), Arsenal (a), Chelsea (h), Brighton (a), Liverpool (h) in their final 8 games - probably the toughest end to the season of the 3
    Villa still in Europe too of course. The further they go in that the less likely they are to rotate and rest

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Rasmus Hojlund image Rasmus Hojlund 67% of 291 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 283 ratings.

Score Predictions