LV Monopoly draft - QF3: Enigma vs DavidG

With players at peaks, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

TEAM ENIGMA

GK: Julio Cesar - complete GK- excellent with ball at his feet, reflexes and agility in the box.

LB: Karl-Heinz Schnellinger - Balanced - defensive. Has played sweeper, center back and left back in his career. He can tuck in and carry the ball forward when in possession if needed.

CB: Marcel Desailly - Stopper - marker. "The rock" in his solid and dominant CB role.

CB: Hector Chumpitaz: Complete Defender - ball playing defender. Fast, great technique, organizational skills - compliments well Desailly.

Right Back: Dani Alves - Offensive. In his best Barca incarnation.

Holding Midfielder: Bernd Schuster - Complete Midfielder. In contrast to the last game we're using an older version of Schuster here. DavidG midfield will consist of Seedorf, Gullit and De Rossi centrally and most likely the physical key battle will be in the center of the pitch. Schuster will play in a deeper role where he can distribute the play and also look for openings and find Eusebio, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho in the final third. With his excellent positional skills and also covering skills (he played as a libero or midfield in Toshak's Real - a team that scored 107 goals in one season) he'll fit pretty well in this position for todays game.

Central Midfielder: Xavi - Playmaker. Probably the best playmaker in history. Kept the best Barca and Spain sides ticking for a decade

Central Midfielder: Graeme Souness. the best tackler in midfield. He would give us the edge in CM and along with Xavi and Schuster - all of whom dominated their opponents throughout their career bring the flair, passing range and defensive edge over DavidG's midfield.

Left Forward: Ronaldinho: Free role. In his best and ridiculously good peak form.

Inside Right: Eusebio: Inside forward. At his best Eusebio played inside right or inside left just off the main striker.He's in his natural position and with Ronaldo movement up front he'll get plenty of chances to add to his tally - which is staggering - 580 goals in 575 games or more than goal per game. He would stretch the opposition (just like he did against Di Stefano's Real - springing right past him), score the decisive goals or link with Ronaldo and Ronaldinho up front.

Complete forward: Luis Ronaldo: Goalscorer. The best #9 in the game. He combines the off the ball movement, clinical finishing and skill that are second to none.

Tactical layout
4-3-3
- lopsided
Normal defensive line, fast direct tempo, look for openings and set the stage for our attacking trio.
Solid and rugged defence, midfield three generals either one who can boss a game.
Pace, interchangeability in attack
- unpredictable on the flanks and through the middle

Defence:

Our defence is consisted of Desailly - an absolute rock in his favorite and natural stopper role, Chumpitaz on the RCB to cover Joga/mazhar biggest goalscoring threat in Pele coming from his favorite left side position. Chumpitaz has tons of pace and is a great fit for Pele's natural game, as well as his excellent tackling ability. K-H Schnellinger will tuck in when we're attacking on the right and Dani Alves is bombing forward shoring up the defensive unit and not making us vulnerable on counter. Dani Alves himself will have more attacking role down the flank, along with Eusebio in the inside right position they will combine and look to expose the openings on that left flank with Roberto Carlos in more attacking role. Our defense is pretty well stacked up to come against both the aerial threat and the pace and trickery of Pele.

Midfield - Schuster will be playing a holding role like he did in his later years. Xavi and Souness will be tasked to give us the edge in midfield. All three of them have the ability to boss the game and win us the midfield battle against DavidG's hard working midfield.

Attack - Our task is to control the midfield and give service to our forward line which at their peak were ridiculously good. Ronaldo is a one man attack who at his best didn't have the support he's getting here from peak Eusebio and Ronaldinho. Ronaldo and Ronaldinho is a combination that won't raise any eyebrows whether it will work, while we have added Eusebio who is an upgrade to Kaka in almost every aspect. With great playmakers in the side capable of providing the killer pass we need runners in the team and Ronaldo and Eusebio are just that. We'll be looking to expose the central core of DavidG's team - De Rossi and Vidic.

Main advantages:

Midfield: Schuster, Xavi and Souness are well equipped to gain an edge against De Rossi, Seedorf and Gullit. We don't lack any playmaking ability both in advanced and deep positions which up against those three midfielders would be an issue for DavidG.

Eusebio and Ronaldo vs Vidic: Vidic is one of the top defenders of our era, but both Eusebio and Ronaldo are the types of forwards Vidic would not like to face. Baresi is probably the best CB in the game, and of course would help out, but with two attacking minded full backs and just De Rossi covering in front of them is a clear route to goal. Stopping Ronaldo itself is a monumental task, but having both Eusebio and him attacking the space with Ronaldinho pulling the strings on the left is too much to handle for DavidG's defence, especially given that he relies a lot on his flanks to provide in the attacking third.

Defence: our defence is well suited to cope with both aerial danger and Pele's ground game. On the flank we have a tucked in balanced defender in Schnellinger who excels defensively and Dani Alves who is a good fit for Bale in both agility and pace.

Opponent's lack of playmaking options: I think this could be an issue for DavidG. Baresi offers passing range from the back but he is probably the only one who can distribute the ball from deep. De Rossi is a pure DM, while Seedorf(I'd imagine DavidG will opt for the younger version) developed his playmaking game later when he lost a step or two and was pushed a bit forward. He always had an excellent passing range, but didn't run games until his later years. Gullit is an option in the attacking third but he was more of an free roaming AM, who especially against our midfield would struggle to boss the game.

TEAM DAVIDG

TACTICS

Formation:
4-4-1-1 / 4-5-1
Style of Play: Multi-dimensional, overlapping, short passing, dribbling, counter-attack, switch of play, crossing. I intend to fully utilize the diverse skill set of all of my players
Defensive Instructions: All 5 midfielders given defensive responsibilities, with Bale and Beckham trusted with covering the overlaps and Gullit to be all over the oppositions defensive midfielder. Dependent on opposition set-up, the centre halves may switch around to have Baresi dealing with Ronaldo for the majority of the game.
Set pieces: Beckham takes everything. Aiming for Vidic, Gullit and Pele.

STARTING XI PROFILES

1. Sepp Maier-
Named as the 4th greatest goalkeeper of the 20th century, there really isn't too much to discuss here. One of the best available options between the sticks for any All time draft.

2. Cafu- Arguably the greatest right back of all time and world cup winning captain. Will be playing his usual game of owning the right flank, contributing to attacking play and using his immense stamina and recovery to ensure he is rarely caught out defensively. One of the most durable players in history.

15. Vidic- One of Manchester United's greatest ever centre halves, he will be his usual combatant self, winning everything in the air and providing a real threat from set pieces. The perfect foil for his partner, Baresi.

6. Baresi-Captain- Without a doubt, one of the top 3 defenders of all time and for many, out on his own as the best. There is nothing to say about him that hasn't already been said, he has put in some all time great performances against GOAT attacker's and will be expected to do the same here.

3. Roberto Carlos- One of the games greatest attacking Left back's, Carlos will be expected to play his normal game here and give the opposition major headaches on the left wing. With no obvious right winger to deal with, He should be free to have a major effect on this game and has enough defensive abilities to deal with a slightly diminished Dani Alves ( i.e. no obvious right winger to link up with)

16. De Rossi- Probably the weakest player on the field, but no push-over, the one club man is the perfect example of a modern defensive midfielder and will be focussing on winning the ball back and using his excellent distribution to get the ball to the more creative players on the team. Has the tactical discipline to perform his role at a high level for 90 mins.

8. Seedorf- An absolute machine. Comfortable in attack as he is in defence, he will play somewhat of a box to box role, but with much more importance placed on the defensive side. Should get plenty of time on the ball when he has it, and when close enough to goal is more than capable of playing a killer pass or testing the keeper from range.

7. Beckham- The greatest crosser of all time and one of the greatest passers of all time. The Manchester United legend will play exactly as he did at the peak of his United days, only with one of the greatest right backs of all time overlapping him. A truly devastating combination, Beckham will be switching wings, playing Cafu in behind the defence, Finding Gullit and Pele in the box and generally causing the opposition nightmare by mixing it up so much. Huge demands placed on him defensively as well, however being known as one of the games fittest players, he will have no issues at all helping out, be it defending against the oppositions left back or tucking in to deal with the more attack minded midfielders.

11. Bale- He did it to Maicon, he can do it to Alves. With no true right midfielder/winger on the opposition side, Bale can pick and choose when to go at Alves or look for Carlos on the overlap. He will have Alves pinned back for most of the game, and will be hitting the byline as often as possible and looking for the runs of Gullit and Pele in the box, which he is capable of finding 9 times out of 10. Also extremely capable defensively having begun his career at left back. Bale is the perfect player to get the best out of Carlos in this game.

9. Gullit- One of the greatest players of all time and an all-round midfielder, Gullit will give the oppositions defensive midfielder the run around, and when he's not dribbling and creating he will be peeling off to whichever side Chumpitaz is on and dominating him in the air from crosses. Will play similar to the way he did during he and van Basten's peaks late 80s.

10. Pele- Officially named the greatest player of the 20th century in the IFHHS poll, There's not really anything left to say. He has a free role and can do as he pleases, so expect him operating as a number 9 just as often as a number 10 starting from the left but operating all over the final third of the pitch. He is surrounded by players who will get the best from him, and is simply the best player on the pitch.

WINNING MENTALITY

In the previous round, I touched on the collective trophy haul of my side. The defensive line has 4 world cups between them and each has won the champions league at least once. De Rossi is a world cup winner and Seedorf is the only man to win the champions league with 3 different teams. Beckham and Bale have 3 champions league's between them, and as well as the european cup, Ruud gullit has 2 european championships with The Netherlands to his name. The only player in the previous round without such a glittering trophy cabinet was John Charles, who has now been replaced by a man with 3 world cups to his name. It is a squad of winners, full of grit and determination and with all the different ways they can come at the opposition, I expect them to gel instantly.

contd...

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
...contd

WHY WE WILL WIN:

There are simply too many ways for this team to cause havoc. The right and left sides are so well balanced, that I can't imagine too many better midfielders in Beckham and Bale to compliment the attacking threat of my full backs. All 4 have the ability to switch the play effortlessly too, so just when the opposition thinks they are dealing with a Cafu overlap, the ball is spread perfectly to Carlos/ Bale to launch an attack on the left, with Seedorf comfortable drifting side to side and offering an extra alternative, as well as the obvious abilities of both Gullit and Pele to receive the ball from anywhere and instantly cause havoc.

All my midfielders are very capable defensively, and i really see them functioning well as a unit. Stamina and physique are often overlooked, but they are key traits in midfielders of any era and I have it in abundance here. When defending, the team will look more like a 4-5-1, with Gullit being more than capable of fulfilling the defensive aspects of a midfield role. Seedorf is more than capable of making things difficult for Xavi, who will be forced to look infield due to Dani Alves not being allowed to play his normal game.

With Pele and Gullit attacking crosses, It's only a matter of time before they get get on the end of one, and with the ball on the ground, both have the quickness of feet to make room for a shot, or lay the ball off to One of Bale, Beckham, Carlos, Cafu or Seedorf who are all very capable from distance.

As touched on, their are simply too many ways that this side can be effective, and I don't think the opposition can live with it. They may think that they will have some joy on the counter, but my players have such an excellent mixture of speed, stamina and tactical discipline that it's going to be an extremely difficult unit to break down.

And then there is Pele, the only player who could even come close to dealing with him is Desailly (even then, Pele wins comfortably) but Pele will be so involved all over the attacking 3rd that if Desailly tries to stay with him, then it frees up Gullit to roam into the box against a much smaller centre half, whom he will dominate in the air.

Individually speaking, I have the best Goalkeeper (by far), the best defender (Baresi) The best all round midfielder (Gullit) and the best forward player (Pele). They are surrounded by players who will help them function at their GOAT levels.

I have based all my thoughts on the way I expect my opposition will set up, however they may spring a surprise but I don't see the personnel there to limit my team , particularly on the wings

THOUGHTS ON THE OPPOSITION

An absolute dream attack, if he does choose to start Ronaldinho, Eusebio and Ronaldo. However with no real attacking threat coming from the right ( unless someone gets played completely out of position to try and help get Alves involved) it lets Roberto Carlos play exactly the kind of game he would want.

Desailly is one of the best players available for a man marking job but he'd be better at that in a DM position (where I rate him only behind rijkaard in an all time sense). If played at CB, he'll have to be disciplined with his positioning and won't be able to follow pele too much given all the other stuff going on around him. Enigma may spring a surprise and play desailly as a DM but in Gullit he has someone who can give him a good battle for strength and will likely get the better of him enough times to make a big impact. Regardless of the set up, at many points in this game there are going to be crosses coming in where it's Pele and Gullit versus Desailly and Chimpitaz and there's no way with the quality of delivery my players don't win a large amount of headers, with pele also extremely effective when bringing the ball down on his chest.

Karl Heinze Schnellinger, as good as he is, is not an overly offensive left back and far more comfortable with the defensive side of the game. He will be tormented by Cafu for large portions of the game match, ultimately freeing up Beckham who even without a hint of time space, is devastating.

Julio Cesar had the honour of being in goals when Germany thumped Brazil 7-1. Yes, he had a good spell at inter, but he has no place in an all time draft (obviously De Rossi doesn't either). I was fully expecting Enigma to strengthen here.

Good luck to Enigma. I expect that this would be a VERY exciting game to watch.

I won't be voting again to see the score , it didn't work last time as people couldn't wait to reveal the score but will try again In the hope it generates a different approach from both managers. Let me know for you're ok with that.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I like DavidG's formation picture. We should get both teams to use similar, one lining up left to right and other vice versa. Like the arial kind of view.
Aerial, arial is a font.

It's actually doing my head in TBH. Find it hard to compare and contrast given how used I am to just transpose the vertical setups. Probably a clever ploy as it is forcing me to look at one-on-one battles rather than compact sections, and he is looking good on that count.

Enigma_87

You know who
Some points to address right away.

I don't think width in attack would be a problem for our side. All of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Eusebio provide a lot of width and are no strangers to stretching the play.

Eusebio was equally devastating on either wing. An example from a run from the left:

and another one from the right:

@2:50 is his run past none other than Di Stefano and creating and scoring the penalty for his team.

Our right side is again aided by Dani Alves in attack where he would contribute significantly. On the left side naturally we have a more balanced full back, who is perfectly capable of playing a CB or a sweeper so we have 3 man backline all the time not susceptible on counter attacks.

Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Eusebio are a very fluid frontline that offer practically all. I wanted a more mobile frontline, and with the addition of Eusebio we have the space for both him and Ronaldo to run into as our midfield line doesn't overlap in that space (hence we've pushed Schuster in a deeper role and not clash with Eusebio in that inside right space).

Deleted member 101472

Came across this video of De Rossi from Euro 2012 , group stage I believe. Whilst he plays as a makeshift CB in this game, it highlights his defensive qualities and distribution better than any other one I could find.

Deleted member 101472

@Enigma_87 re your point on baresi being the only one who can distribute from deep, see the De Video above. Also, with seedorf being somewhat conservative, he will get a chance to distribute from deep too.

Not that my team even needs to distribute long balls, Ronaldonho and Eusebio aren't really going to offer anything defensively so instead of looking long, it's a simple shift to the side for the full backs who are going to have so much joy in this game.

Enigma_87

You know who
One concern in terms of DavidG's tactical layout is Pele leading the attack - he was always deeper and played behind a striker, even 1970 with Tostao playing in a false 9.

Pele always considered himself more of a midfielder than a striker and IMO the #10 role suits him a lot more than a 9.

Individually speaking, I have the best Goalkeeper (by far), the best defender (Baresi) The best all round midfielder (Gullit) and the best forward player (Pele). They are surrounded by players who will help them function at their GOAT levels.
I disagree here. I'm not sure how many will of course agree with me, but to me Ronaldo at #9 is the best striker in the game. Pele is the better all round player of course, but if we compare them in the position they are playing in this game, I think Ronaldo would have the edge as he was the complete striker and played in the exact same role throughout his career.

As for midfield goes Gullit is more comparable to Eusebio in both set ups rather than the midfield line. In terms of midfielders - individually - Schuster, Souness and Xavi are all better than Seedorf and De Rossi.

Deleted member 101472

Pele will be playing a hybrid of a #9 and #10 role all game , with the options he has around him (pace of bale, distribution of Beckham etc) he can be an excellent link up player as well as being a more than capable pure #9 when the game demands it.

There would probably be times where my formation could appear more like a 4-6-0 but the clogs all turn pretty favourably in terms of a fluid attack

Deleted member 101472

I think Cafu and Carlos have field days in this game , I almost couldn't have asked you to set up any more favourably. Forwards who pretty much just don't get involved defensively , and Xavi and souness are not playing LM and RM respectively. There can be many arguments made for what goes on in the middle of the park but on the wings, it's ideal for my players.

Enigma_87

You know who
@Enigma_87 re your point on baresi being the only one who can distribute from deep, see the De Video above. Also, with seedorf being somewhat conservative, he will get a chance to distribute from deep too.

Not that my team even needs to distribute long balls, Ronaldonho and Eusebio aren't really going to offer anything defensively so instead of looking long, it's a simple shift to the side for the full backs who are going to have so much joy in this game.
I think De Rossi is a bit limited in that sense. He was always played alongside better passers than him in both Roma and Italy. His role here is more advanced here where there's significant amount of pressure compared to playing as a CB and delivering from 20 yards back. His role would be closer to what was in the final in that EURO(if we're sticking to that EURO) where they got demolished by Spain and Xavi against him.

I can see him as a holding role and he's very good player, but having in mind the midfielders he's up against here and in historical sense I agree with you that he's the weak link here. Especially with forwards like Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Eusebio running around him.

Enigma_87

You know who
Pele will be playing a hybrid of a #9 and #10 role all game , with the options he has around him (pace of bale, distribution of Beckham etc) he can be an excellent link up player as well as being a more than capable pure #9 when the game demands it.

There would probably be times where my formation could appear more like a 4-6-0 but the clogs all turn pretty favourably in terms of a fluid attack
Sure, but then you need either Pele or Gullit in the box if you are going to cross the ball in as your initial instructions. If Gullit is there as your focal point that weakens your CM as you need his shift in so that your midfield doesn't get overran. While if Pele is there you lose his playmaking game from deep which cuts off the service in the middle to an extend.

I don't see 4-6-0 working with crosses in the box, neither playing an counter attacking game.

Enigma_87

You know who
I think Cafu and Carlos have field days in this game , I almost couldn't have asked you to set up any more favourably. Forwards who pretty much just don't get involved defensively , and Xavi and souness are not playing LM and RM respectively. There can be many arguments made for what goes on in the middle of the park but on the wings, it's ideal for my players.
I don't think Real's Bale for example puts bigger shift in defensively than Eusebio per say - both can drop deep and help the midfield which they would do, but we have Desailly, Chumpitaz and Schnellinger who are perfectly capable of covering the wings if needed. Dani Alves also is a good fit for Bale and our midfield can work their bollocks off to cover in the defensive phase.

If you bomb forward that sets you up perfectly for our side counter attacking - you have 2 offensive full backs, Vidic who is not reknown for his pace, and De Rossi who is probably as you mentioned the weakest player on the pitch. Combine that with Ronaldinho, Eusebio and Ronaldo - all capable of tearing apart even the best defenders in the game on counter.

I won't be opposed on leaving gaps on the flanks and center for our forwards to utilize :)

Deleted member 101472

Sure, but then you need either Pele or Gullit in the box if you are going to cross the ball in as your initial instructions. If Gullit is there as your focal point that weakens your CM as you need his shift in so that your midfield doesn't get overran. While if Pele is there you lose his playmaking game from deep which cuts off the service in the middle to an extend.

I don't see 4-6-0 working with crosses in the box, neither playing an counter attacking game.
It will appear that way at times , not all the time. With it likely that there would be limited tracking back from your forwards, the wide players can have the choice of getting the ball in the box quick or utilizing some triangles with de Rossi and seedorf helping out.

As touched on in my write - up, this will be a multidimensional attack ( and the players are more than capable of meeting the demands of that ) so they won't just be sticking to one tactic all game but utilizing a variety of them. It wouldn't work with a bunch of non tactically disciplined players who lack stamina, but My guys have both in abundance.

antohan

If the ball is being carried down the flank for a cross, Gullit and Pelé will be at the end of the cross, there's no need for them to put any shifts or playmaking input in such moves.

Enigma_87

You know who
Of course the obligatory Ronaldo videos :drool:

First time I've picked him so have to enjoy them once again

Deleted member 101472

I don't think Real's Bale for example puts bigger shift in defensively than Eusebio per say - both can drop deep and help the midfield which they would do, but we have Desailly, Chumpitaz and Schnellinger who are perfectly capable of covering the wings if needed. Dani Alves also is a good fit for Bale and our midfield can work their bollocks off to cover in the defensive phase.

If you bomb forward that sets you up perfectly for our side counter attacking - you have 2 offensive full backs, Vidic who is not reknown for his pace, and De Rossi who is probably as you mentioned the weakest player on the pitch. Combine that with Ronaldinho, Eusebio and Ronaldo - all capable of tearing apart even the best defenders in the game on counter.

I won't be opposed on leaving gaps on the flanks and center for our forwards to utilize :)
That works when you're not facing the greatest goalscorer of all time, the best crosser of all time , height and strength in the box and two of the best full backs the game has ever seen, one of whom has an incredible shot from distance against not the best goalkeeper. Roberto Carlos will have so much space in this game , I'd actually really fancy him for a goal here. And you won't be able to counter attack from his shots, the keeper won't save them comfortably, the ball will go out for a goal kick / corner, or it'll fly in the top corner.

With seedorf so disciplined and De Rossi being a typical DM, your attack won't outnumber my defenders and id back them to do well enough.

Deleted member 101472

If the ball is being carried down the flank for a cross, Gullit and Pelé will be at the end of the cross, there's no need for them to put any shifts or playmaking input in such moves.
Precisely, and the time and space I'm going to get on the flanks here is more than I could have asked for.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yes, of course when they are playing on the wings. I meant centrally. It creates a gap between the defence line and the forwards with De Rossi and Seedorf only left to cover for loose balls and also build an attack.

antohan

Yes, of course when they are playing on the wings. I meant centrally. It creates a gap between the defence line and the forwards with De Rossi and Seedorf only left to cover for loose balls and also build an attack.
How did we ever play 4-4-2 then?

Enigma_87

You know who
Precisely, and the time and space I'm going to get on the flanks here is more than I could have asked for.
It works both ways. My midfielders and defenders are perfectly capable of covering wide. Besides no player is faster than the ball - not Bale nor Carlos. You need both your full backs to participate in the attack as your wings will be the focal point of it.
So you need them constantly charging there. If we get the ball either of Souness, Xavi or Schuster are capable of overlapping the midfield and find either Eusebio, Ronaldo or Ronaldinho up the pitch where they will be covered most likely by Baresi, Vidic and De Rossi, which won't end well. Baresi is the best defender on the pitch, but I don't like Vidic and De Rossi chances on one on one against either of them.

Enigma_87

You know who
How did we ever play 4-4-2 then?
Seedorf and De Rossi are far off Scholes and Keane at their peak. I don't think it will work in that example with this set of players.

Besides our great success in Europe came after we ditched the 4-4-2 and after those Real and Leverkusen games. Given the space Ronaldo will be given in a such scenario I won't be surprised if he scores a few in this game - peak Ronaldo that is not the one that put 3 past us at OT.

antohan

It works both ways. My midfielders and defenders are perfectly capable of covering wide. Besides no player is faster than the ball - not Bale nor Carlos. You need both your full backs to participate in the attack as your wings will be the focal point of it.
So you need them constantly charging there. If we get the ball either of Souness, Xavi or Schuster are capable of overlapping the midfield and find either Eusebio, Ronaldo or Ronaldinho up the pitch where they will be covered most likely by Baresi, Vidic and De Rossi, which won't end well. Baresi is the best defender on the pitch, but I don't like Vidic and De Rossi chances on one on one against either of them.
That's more like it. It's an open end-to-end game. Your midfield is better so he bypasses it down the flanks, your distribution from deep is excellent so upon recovery you take out the entire midfield with a sublime pass.

It's game on, the question is whether crossing for Pelé and Gullit trumps Eusebio, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho running at a defence at full pelt.

Would love to watch it myself.

Enigma_87

You know who
That's more like it. It's an open end-to-end game. Your midfield is better so he bypasses it down the flanks, your distribution from deep is excellent so upon recovery you take out the entire midfield with a sublime pass.

It's game on, the question is whether crossing for Pelé and Gullit trumps Eusebio, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho running at a defence at full pelt.

Would love to watch it myself.
Aye, this is my favorite attack so far in these drafts. Eusebio, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho combined, and not only that but also given space to show their best game(not that they always needed as they are perfectly capable of dribble themselves out of a phone booth).

That and of course the interchangeability of the three. Ronaldinho loved to cut in and Eto'o dropped to the left. Ronaldo is great at running off and with the ball in the box and outside it, creating space. And of course Eusebio coming from deep, creating and finishing himself. Pure joy that :drool:

Enigma_87

You know who
Funny thing is @Enigma_87 could do with having Vidic and @DavidG could do with having Chumpitaz instead.
Well Desailly is excellent in the air. Schnellinger also very good at it. Chumpitaz has a very good leap. It's not like we lack players that are good in the air and with Julio Cesar who is not an all time great but in this set up IMO compliments the defence very well and able to collect crosses.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Ill have to come back to this one after i let it sit in my mind. Really like David flanks and attack but think enigma has clear advantage in midfield. At the moment im thinking of who could have the better game Gullit or Eusebio

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Aye, no issues with your distribution from deep IMO. Baresi was ridiculous on the ball, both full backs brilliant in possession, and despite his reputation I always rated De Rossi's passing higher than his defensive contribution. Even Vidic was a tidy enough passer. That said, I was very surprised that you didn't prioritise upgrading your central midfield in the reinforcement round. Yours was far and away my favourite team after the initial drafting, a real powerhouse of a 4-4-2, but the engine room is looking very underwhelming. Gullit/Pele dropping back to bolster things, along with Beckham's contribution, is enough to make me hold off on voting for now though.

Did you consider playing Gullit as a CM or just in front of your defence? Charles was tailor-made for this 4-4-2 and it would have enabled Pele to play behind the striker.

Deleted member 101472

This would be such a good match to watch.

The idea of bypassing my midfield might work on occasion, but I think there's enough intelligence back there to not be continuously caught out.

On the other hand, unless souness and Xavi morph themselves into quick side midfielders, they are going to struggle to deal with the options that my full backs present.

Enigma_87

You know who
This would be such a good match to watch.

The idea of bypassing my midfield might work on occasion, but I think there's enough intelligence back there to not be continuously caught out.

On the other hand, unless souness and Xavi morph themselves into quick side midfielders, they are going to struggle to deal with the options that my full backs present.
aye, would be a joy.

As for the second para IMO De Rossi and Vidic are not the type of players to be in their best game to cover for our attacking trio. They will struggle. You need both Roberto Carlos and Cafu to cross the half way line constantly, there is no other way about it if that's your game plan.

Aye, no issues with your distribution from deep IMO. Baresi was ridiculous on the ball, both full backs brilliant in possession, and despite his reputation I always rated De Rossi's passing higher than his defensive contribution. Even Vidic was a tidy enough passer. That said, I was very surprised that you didn't prioritise upgrading your central midfield in the reinforcement round. Yours was far and away my favourite team after the initial drafting, a real powerhouse of a 4-4-2, but the engine room is looking very underwhelming. Gullit/Pele dropping back to bolster things, along with Beckham's contribution, is enough to make me hold off on voting for now though.

Did you consider playing Gullit as a CM or just in front of your defence? Charles was tailor-made for this 4-4-2 and it would have enabled Pele to play behind the striker.
With your midfield pair I can see that 4-4-2 working that you have mentioned - but with the current CM options I think there is where it falls apart.

Even without Pele but with a top class CM and Charles up front it would be a better plan for David that would suit his gameplan more.

Deleted member 101472

Aye I considered it strongly but he was played there in previous drafts and people didn't like it.

I obviously had to take pele as he's as good a reinforcement as you can get, and I had to drop a player so there really wasn't much scope.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Couple of thoughts. Would prefer a Busquets or Mascherano instead of Schuster with a proper attacking full-back to overlap Dinho for Enigma.

For David, the midfield two is lightweight and the system is crying out for a target man.

Enigma_87

You know who
Ill have to come back to this one after i let it sit in my mind. Really like David flanks and attack but think enigma has clear advantage in midfield. At the moment im thinking of who could have the better game Gullit or Eusebio
I'd love to have Eusebio a chance to shine. I think he's a tad underrated and was surprised to go on so late in the picking order. To me he's a 2nd pick max. If we discount Pele, De Stefano, Beckenbauer, Messi, Cruyff, Maradona and probably Ronaldo he's right up there with the rest.

At his peak he was as close to unplayable as these guys. Regularly hitting 40-50 goals per season.

Enigma_87

You know who
Couple of thoughts. Would prefer a Busquets or Mascherano instead of Schuster with a proper attacking full-back to overlap Dinho for Enigma.
To be fair I thought of Busquets here and I had the chance to pick him, but I just rate Souness and Schuster at holding better than him. The only positive would be playing alongside Dani Alves and Xavi, but the latter are just better players.

Schuster in a holding role (as well as playing as a sweeper) at Real won the Championship in a great fashion, he's the better passer of the two, especially when we consider vision and range.

As for Dinho that was the other option, that I thought initially in the reinforcement round, but then when I landed Ronaldo and Eusebio I don't think I need one with 3 of them perfectly capable of creating width on either side, plus Dinho loved a striker that moved around and created space for him to cut in. Same here with Ronaldo.

And of course there is the other thing Schnellinger as a defender is one of the top around both capable of covering wide and in the middle, which would be essential for this game.

Deleted member 101472

I had considered Playing pele as #10 and Charles as #9 but then you lose extra help in midfield which Gullit undoutedbly brings. From an overall numbers perspective , it's a pretty even 3 on 3 in the centre and although enigma has the better collection, my midfield are no mugs and would work well together.

With regards the question who will be more effective of Eusebio and Gullit, I'd always take the man that can be influential at both ends.

Deleted member 101472

Not a fan of enigma's midfield, but Ronaldinho and Eusebio are well placed to cause trouble.
Love David's flanks and attack, but don't really rate his midfield combo.
It was almost impossible to upgrade and given the obvious emphasis of importance with my initial drafting, luck determined that seedorf and de Rossi were as good as I could do. A world cup winner who's number will likely be retired, and a triple champions league winner, aren't exactly bad choices. They can contain enigmas midfield well enough.

Deleted member 101472

Let's talk about the man in goals for enigma. He wouldn't even get in an all time QPR or Toronto XI let alone anywhere near an inter one. I'm assuming it's the recent Julio Cesar and that I haven't forgotten about some incredible namesake goalie