LV Monopoly draft - QF4: MJJ/Viva vs Jayvin

With players at peak, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

....................................... TEAM MJJ/VIVA .................................................................................... TEAM JAYVIN ........................................

TEAM MJJ/Viva

General Tactics:
Formation
- 4-3-3, a side that can easily transition between playing counter-attacking football and retaining the possession to kill the game. In midfield, we have de stefano, edwards and blanchflower who will control most games and the magic of best and garrincha out wide. This is futher emphasized by having Passarella and Scirea at the back which will help in quick counter attacks or keeping possession.

Our team will rotate between playing possession/risk-less football to create opportunities and look to quickly release best/garrincha on the wings and counter attack. A strong dominant, with an extremely good work-rate, midfield will help in the former as our midfield trio will ensure we have the majority of the ball while limiting the chances of the opposition to score when best/garrincha are running at the ball.

De Stefano will have a free (but defensively responsible) role and will be the chief playmaker of the side, utilizing the likes of best/garrincha/passarella/scirea as he see fits. We will be playing a mobile front four with no fixed position to exploit the space left by our opposition the best we can.

Defensive Tactics - By looking to retain possession and keeping shape when either of the wingers are attacking, we will look to limit the scoring opportunities the opposition gets.

Key Points
  • I expect our opposition to play a high pressing style to counter the likes of de stefano,passarella,scirea as either one of the trio can control the game if they have sufficient time and space. This will open up space to counter and you cant pick two better wingers than best/garrincha to exploit that.
  • While both midfield are probably on par, I believe we are better in attack and henry/robben/jairzinho arent the ideal trio to press our defenders. Scirea vs Henry will be a big mismatch in our favor and the quality of our forwards and defense will make the difference over 90 minutes.
TEAM JAYVIN

OVERVIEW:

- Balanced team with numerous avenues of attack.
- High-energy box-to-box midfielders with outstanding defensive qualities and power and drive going forward.
- Rock-solid, highly athletic defence in front of a man-mountain of a goalkeeper.
- Prolific goalscorers in every position in attack

My team will play a high energy counter-attacking style in a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 formation.

The strength and physicality of Sandor Kocsis spearheads my side, with his goal hanging presence and finishing ability keeping the opposition defenders on their toes. While his hold up play and ability in the air will be crucial in helping to alleviate pressure on my midfield and defence. Behind him lurk a trio of fast, technically gifted attackers capable of going for goal on their own or setting up their teammates.

Davids and Keane will play box-to-box midfield roles, using their stamina and ball-winning ability to screen the defence and break up play in the middle of the pitch, while their dynamism and ability to carry the ball forward will aid in creating quick transitions from defence to attack.

Well balanced defence with plenty of physicality, pace and composure on the ball, with Zmuda dropped for a more complimentary parntership of Jaap Stam and Rio Ferdinand. Facchetti once again has license to get forward when he can, being well covered by Edgar Davids and Stam, while Thuram remains in a more defensive RB role with Jairzinho providing the majority of the width on the right hand side.

SUBS: Wayne ROONEY, Neymar, Arjen ROBBEN, Wladyslaw ZMUDA, David DE GEA

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

I really dislike Scirea and Passarella playing like that, I prefer the original defense by far with either or and would rate last rounds defense as significantly better. That front five though is just ridiculous and anybody who rates Blanchflower highly will love that team which I do. That front five could walk in to a final in my eyes and possibly win it and it is inspired to have Law as a focal point at this stage in the draft, I hope he isn't replaced for anybody even for a final.

Both managers kept it fairly short though so I guess we will see a lot of in depth discussion about how you guys will play in the thread. Hard to vote before that even if I am leaning considerably towards MJJ.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Yeah i tend to agree. Dont like Passarella as lb next to Scirea. But i also agree that attack with Di Stefano added looks insane. I definitely like to hear Mjj and Vj thoughts on that back line though.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Why Scirea next to Passarella. Swap him around with Ruggeri you nutters! i want to keep reinforcing!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Why Scirea is in the left? I thought the point of Passarella as a left back would be to create Breitner-Beckenbauer type of situation. Here you just left your entire left side potentially exposed

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
In the context of an all-time draft Jayvin maybe lacks a little bit of star quality in attack.

His team looks flawless tactically though and very well drafted - I can't see any issues with it and you can immediately see it working well in practice.

harms

Staff
Kocsis seems wasted a little, with only Facchetti providing consistent crosses. Not that he was bad with his feet, but imagine him in Law's place!

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I really like Kocsis there, I fancy his classic centre forward play to dovetail nicely with Platini and Henry running off him.

Kind of agree on the crosses, but Jairzinho has the ability to offer that wing play and I fancy him to get the better of Passarella in that role, who I can't see handling his speed/agility.

Even Thuram is more than capable of pushing up and firing in a cross for Kocsis - he's not Cafu going forward but he does have elements of that in his locker.

harms

Staff
It's really hard to defend against MJJ's multifaceted attack; he covers Garrincha pretty well, with Facchetti, Stam and Davids; Best is also fairly limited, with Thuram and Keane, but if they all will be busy dealing with wingers, Di Stefano can have a great game. I think that the balance is a little off with that trio, they love having the ball too much but Law is a great choice and can become the most important man in this star-filled attack.

On the other hand I would've preferred a more winger-ish winger on the right as Kocsis isn't used to his full potential here, at least as I see it.

Platini can have some problems with Edwards/Di Stefano, he was always more vulnerable to physical encounters than Maradona or Zico.

harms

Staff
I really like Kocsis there, I fancy his classic centre forward play to dovetail nicely with Platini and Henry running off him.
Yeah, you can see some similarities to Puskas/Hidegkuti set-up here. Different players but not so different roles.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's not just Passarella next to Scirea, it's Ruggeri on Henry's side which is concerning. The central pair swapping solves a lot of issues.

That said, I'm unconvinced a Sagnol/Irwin full-back partnership has the necessary gravitas at this stage of a draft. So something needed to be done.

Agree with @Theon on Javyin's set-up: very clean.

harms

Staff
I once contemplated with someone on another website how would a team full of sweepers would look like. Think it ended up with Figueroa as a #10.
Hm.

Off the top of my head

--------- Passarella - Sammer ----------
Krol -- Beckenbauer -- Hierro -- Scirea
Zebec -- Figueroa -- Baresi -- Chumpitaz
---------------- Ondrus ---------------

Moby

Dick
Hm.

Off the top of my head

--------- Passarella - Sammer ----------
Krol -- Beckenbauer -- Hierro -- Scirea
Zebec -- Figueroa -- Baresi -- Chumpitaz
---------------- Ondrus ---------------
I think we concluded that of all the sweepers, Figueroa was the most technically gifted and had the best qualities for a #10 like having vision and creativity.

Moby

Dick
Sammer can be in consideration. He's actually played as a forward before dropping back in phases.
Not in terms of position but in terms of ability. Figueroa didn't venture forward as much as some others or play in forward roles but when you look at his passing it is incredibly penetrative and pin point picking out players making runs with great vision. Similar to the passing game of someone like Laudrup, just put someone to run onto his passes and it will be devastating.

harms

Staff
I think we concluded that of all the sweepers, Figueroa was the most technically gifted and had the best qualities for a #10 like having vision and creativity.
Hm, I don't know. Beckenbauer is definitely better technically in my book, maybe Scirea too. You see that I went without a pure 10 though, 2 box-to-box midfielders, young Hierro and Beckenbauer whose all-round qualities are perfect for the job.

Moby

Dick
Beckenbauer is definitely better technically in my book, maybe Scirea too.
They have pretty different styles in terms of influencing a game with the ball, like Figueroa. They definitely do get talked about a lot more when talking about forward play than Figueroa who is often just labelled a complete defender and his forward play isn't mentioned much when he's right up there. I mean, who else would dribble the ball past Gerd Muller in his own penalty box! :lol:

For a #10, I'd have him ahead of those two. For a box to box midfielder I'd have Beckenbauer ahead of Don Elias.

VivaJanuzaj

There's no way around it, Scirea should've been placed on the right handed side and it was our mistake. @Edgar Allan Pillow is it considered a sub moving a player's position mid-game or is it okay because we're not changing the XI?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

VivaJanuzaj

With Facchetti bombing forward as the arrow suggests, Davids will have to be the cover to try and stop Garrincha. That would leave Keane the only one to deny space from Don Alferdo and as good as Keane was he won't be able to stop Di Stefano from dictating the play.

Moby

Dick
With Facchetti bombing forward as the arrow suggests, Davids will have to be the cover to try and stop Garrincha. That would leave Keane the only one to deny space from Don Alferdo and as good as Keane was he won't be able to stop Di Stefano from dictating the play.
Not sure how is Di Stefano dictating play at the same time when Garrincha is taking on both Facchetti and Davids out of the equation and going forward with the ball.

VivaJanuzaj

Not sure how is Di Stefano dictating play at the same time when Garrincha is taking on both Facchetti and Davids out of the equation and going forward with the ball.
Dictating the play as in spreading the ball out wide to when he finds space beyond Keane. If Davids closes him down - he'll pass it to Garrincha who is free on the right, if Rio/Stam approach he'll find the pass to Law, and if it's Thuram approaching Georgie Best will be waiting for that ball in space.

Moby

Dick
Dictating the play as in spreading the ball out wide to when he finds space beyond Keane. If Davids closes him down - he'll pass it to Garrincha who is free on the right, if Rio/Stam approach he'll find the pass to Law, and if it's Thuram approaching Georgie Best will be waiting for that ball in space.
I don't think any of them will need to approach him given his has Davids and Keane in front of him shielding the defense. Facchetti and Thuram aren't ever going to leave Best or Garrincha when Di Stefano has the ball leaving the two DMs do the job in the middle.

Enigma_87

You know who
Has Passarella ever played as a LB? I'm not sure what to make of that back four. Otherwise that front four is mouthwatering.

VivaJanuzaj

I don't think any of them will need to approach him given his has Davids and Keane in front of him shielding the defense. Facchetti and Thuram aren't ever going to leave Best or Garrincha when Di Stefano has the ball leaving the two DMs do the job in the middle.
So what should I make of that front arrow on Facchetti? That he's both going to advance forward and stay back all times to stop Garrincha?

VivaJanuzaj

Has Passarella ever played as a LB? I'm not sure what to make of that back four. Otherwise that front four is mouthwatering.
He's practically everything you'd want from a LB unless you want someone to dominate the wing for you. He's got the ball abilities to start attacks and link up with midfield and the front three, and he can put the shift defensively and tuck in if Scirea does it. In modern days where plenty of players can play at both LB and LCB I'd imagine Passarella would do well.

Enigma_87

You know who
He's practically everything you'd want from a LB unless you want someone to dominate the wing for you. He's got the ball abilities to start attacks and link up with midfield and the front three, and he can put the shift defensively and tuck in if Scirea does it. In modern days where plenty of players can play at both LB and LCB I'd imagine Passarella would do well.
He's excellent on the ball and can surge forward, so he has the qualities needed in some aspect but wondering if that would work alongside Scirea as a main organizer.

Moby

Dick
I would have probably bought Passarella in that role had they been facing an inside forward who's cut in but against a proper complete winger like Jairzinho who can draw him out to the wing and isolate him with his pace and power I'm not that confident.

Still not sure why he started when they had not one but two left backs in the squad?

Enigma_87

You know who
I would have probably bought Passarella in that role had they been facing an inside forward who's cut in but against a proper complete winger like Jairzinho who can draw him out to the wing and isolate him with his pace and power I'm not that confident.

Still not sure why he started when they had not one but two left backs in the squad?
three if you count Irwin there.

I had three right backs in a team not so long ago as well. :D

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Hm, I don't know. Beckenbauer is definitely better technically in my book, maybe Scirea too. You see that I went without a pure 10 though, 2 box-to-box midfielders, young Hierro and Beckenbauer whose all-round qualities are perfect for the job.
Beckenbauer is perfect for the box-to-box. More so than for #10.