LV Monopoly draft - SF2: Jayvin vs. Enigma

With players at peaks, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
vs.

-----------------------------------Team Jayvin--------------------------------------------------------------------------Team Enigma----------------------------------

TEAM JAYVIN

OVERVIEW:

- Balanced team with numerous avenues of attack.
- Strong defensive midfield with a mixture of energy, passing ability and defensive nous.
- Rock-solid, highly athletic defence in front of a man-mountain of a goalkeeper.
- Prolific goalscorers in every position in attack

My team will play a counter-attacking style in a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 formation.

Romario spearheads a fluid attack with his movement, dribbling and acceleration dragging defenders around the pitch and his deadly finishing always a danger.

Henry operates as a LWF/SS, cutting inside to support Romario and keep Enigma's central defenders on their toes. Facchetti provides most of the width on the left side with his overlapping runs, while on the right it is Jairzinho providing the width when needed. Michel Platini rounds off the attack, playmaking from an attacking midfield position and bursting forward into space provided by the movement of Henry and Romario.

Keane and Bozsik marshal the midfield, with Keane in his favoured box-to-box position while Bozsik will play a holding role, using his strong tackling to win the ball and create counter attacks with his accurate passing from deep.

The team is rounded off by a well balanced defence with plenty of physicality, pace and composure on the ball, with a complimentary partnership of Jaap Stam and Rio Ferdinand. Facchetti once again has license to get forward when he can, being well covered by Bozsik and Stam on that side, while Thuram remains in a more defensive RB role and Jairzinho provides the majority of the width on the right hand side.

SUBS: Sandor KOCSIS, Wayne ROONEY, Neymar, Arjen ROBBEN, Wladyslaw ZMUDA, David DE GEA

TEAM ENIGMA

GK: Edwin van der Sar
- complete GK- cool calm presence in the box. One of the best keepers in the last 2 decades and right up there with Schmikes in terms of United history.

LB: Karl-Heinz Schnellinger - Balanced - defensive. Has played sweeper, center back and left back in his career. He can tuck in and carry the ball forward when in possession if needed.

CB: Marcel Desailly - Stopper - marker. "The rock" in his solid and dominant CB role.

CB: Paolo Maldini: Complete Defender. One of the best defenders in history. A ferocious tackler and the master of the perfectly-time sliding tackle, Maldini was also such an astute reader of the game that his positioning allowed him to go whole games without having to make a tackle, and yet he never looked out of place, not even when he retired at the age of 40.

Right Back: Dani Alves - Offensive. In his best Barca incarnation.

Holding Midfielder: Bernd Schuster - Complete Midfielder. We're using an older version of Schuster here. Jayvin's midfield will consist of Bozsik, Keane and Platini centrally and most likely the physical key battle will be in the center of the pitch with Keane and Souness squaring up against each other. Schuster will play in a deeper role where he can distribute the play and also look for openings and find Eusebio, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho in the final third and of course stuck in with physical battles against Platini when needed. With his excellent positional skills and also covering skills (he played as a libero or midfield in Toshak's Real - a team that scored 107 goals in one season) he'll fit pretty well in this position for todays game.

Central Midfielder: Xavi - Playmaker. Probably the best playmaker in history. Kept the best Barca and Spain sides ticking for a decade

Central Midfielder: Graeme Souness. the best tackler in midfield. He would give us the edge in CM and along with Xavi and Schuster - all of whom dominated their opponents throughout their career bring the flair, passing range and defensive edge over Jayvin's midfield.

Left Forward: Ronaldinho: Free role. In his best and ridiculously good peak form.

Inside Right: Eusebio: Inside forward. At his best Eusebio played inside right or inside left just off the main striker.He's in his natural position and with Ronaldo movement up front he'll get plenty of chances to add to his tally - which is staggering - 580 goals in 575 games or more than goal per game. He would stretch the opposition (just like he did against Di Stefano's Real - springing right past him), score the decisive goals or link with Ronaldo and Ronaldinho up front.

Complete forward: Luis Ronaldo: Goalscorer. The best #9 in the game. He combines the off the ball movement, clinical finishing and skill that are second to none.

Tactical layout
4-3-3
- lopsided
Normal defensive line, fast direct tempo, look for openings and set the stage for our attacking trio.
Solid and rugged defence, midfield three generals either one who can boss a game.
Pace, interchangeability in attack
- unpredictable on the flanks and through the middle
Even better defence - with the addition of Maldini.

Defence:

Our defence is consisted of Desailly - an absolute rock in his favorite and natural stopper role, Maldini who will be up against Romario in the same LCB position that he used to play in that 1994 CL final against Romario's Barca, that Milan won 4-0. Maldini is a great fit to both Romario and Henry who are most likely to occupy that space. K-H Schnellingerwill tuck in when we're attacking on the right and Dani Alves is bombing forward shoring up the defensive unit and not making us vulnerable on counter. Schnellinger is pretty much in his zone against Jairzinho who is the exact type of inside cutting in forward that he usually plays against. Dani Alves himself will have more attacking role down the flank, along with Eusebio in the inside right position they will combine and look to expose the openings on that left flank when Facchetti goes forward.

Midfield - Schuster will be playing a holding role like he did in his later years. Xavi and Souness will be tasked to give us the edge in midfield. All three of them have the ability to boss the game and win us the midfield battle against Jayvin's midfield.

Attack - Our task is to control the midfield and give service to our forward line which at their peak were ridiculously good. Ronaldo is a one man attack who at his best didn't have the support he's getting here from peak Eusebio and Ronaldinho. Ronaldo and Ronaldinho is a combination that won't raise any eyebrows whether it will work, while we add Eusebio who can drop in space without the traditional DM in Jayvin's team. With great playmakers in the side capable of providing the killer pass we need runners in the team and Ronaldo and Eusebio are just that.

Main advantages:

Midfield: Schuster, Xavi and Souness - three midfield generals with all the big bollocks needed to put a stamp on any game. Davids was a real loss to Jayvin's midfield and I'd favor our midfield to gain advantage early on with the more static Bozsik in Jayvin's team.

Attack: Eusebio, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho is the best attack I've assembled in these drafts and I'd back them to get the better of Jayvin's defensive core. Ronaldo has faced Rio in that United - Real tie that ended with him bagging a hattrick and he also faced Stam and was really handful for the Dutch. I feel our striking due would have the upper hand here which essentially could give us the tie.

Defence: Maldini and Romario is a good fit and I expect both to neutralize each other. Maldini has faced in the same role peak Romario so I expect him to have a good game here.

Jayvin has constructed an excellent team with no clear weaknesses, what I feel is where our main advantage comes is having the better individuals(barring his excellent full backs) in both attack, midfield and central defence - who should give us the edge in the game ad outscore the opposition.

Enigma_87

You know who
Few initial thoughts. Jayvin has created an excellent team and there is not much apart in those two teams. I like our chances especially in midfield where we will suffocate the space for Platini while all of our midfielders put a shift in so we can gain an advantage there. Our defenders in Schnellinger, Maldini and Desailly match very well with Jairzinho, Henry and Romario and their respective strengths.

On the other hand I think I like our chances against Rio and Stam - obviously top defenders and one of the best in United's history but Fenomeno, Eusebio and Ronaldinho have it all and are nightmare to defend against.

Ronaldo in 98 against Stam's Holland:

and against preprime Rio:

Last edited:

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Feels wrong voting against a team that has R9 and Ronaldinho but Jayvin has the better team in this one.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Why is Souness positioned higher than both Xavi and Schuster?
Nice formation pic btw.

Don't think that Bozsik will struggle with Enigma's midfield. He isn't the best fit for his front trio, but absolutely rapid Facchetti-Stam-Rio + rock solid Thuram and genius Dane in goal will take care of that. Arguably, you could've had a better center backs at this point (all-time SF), but looking at this particular unit (Dinho-Eusebio-Ronaldo) it's hard to find a better match.

I would've switched Keane and Bozsik though. Keane is better equipped to cover Facchetti against Eusebio-Alves

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Few initial thoughts. Jayvin has created an excellent team and there is not much apart in those two teams. I like our chances especially in midfield where we will suffocate the space for Platini while all of our midfielders put a shift in so we can gain an advantage there.
Xavi wasn't renowed for his work-rate was he? I think we both have two defensive minded midfielders who will 'put in a shift' so I don't think either have much advantage there.

Our defenders in Schnellinger, Maldini and Desailly match very well with Jairzinho, Henry and Romario and their respective strengths.
As stated in the OP Jairzinho has been instructed to provide width on the right to keep Schnellinger occupied and keep him from supporting the CBs against Henry and Romario.

Enigma_87

You know who
Why is Souness positioned higher than both Xavi and Schuster?
Nice formation pic btw.

Don't think that Bozsik will struggle with Enigma's midfield. He isn't the best fit for his front trio, but absolutely rapid Facchetti-Stam-Rio + rock solid Thuram and genius Dane in goal will take care of that. Arguably, you could've had a better center backs at this point (all-time SF), but looking at this particular unit (Dinho-Eusebio-Ronaldo) it's hard to find a better match.

I would've switched Keane and Bozsik though. Keane is better equipped to cover Facchetti against Eusebio-Alves
Thanks mate, it was on the back of your inspiration but with bigger images.

Souness is position higher because well his name overlapping with Schuster, just wanted to have more air in the formation, but positionally he's not. The difference is negligible and I'd assume it won't get noticed just for aesthetic purposes :)

Not saying Bozsik will, but Platini will not put the same work rate as our midfielders and while Bozsik will not be a passenger I feel we have the upper hand there.

We have the better central defensive core while Jayvin has the better full backs, yet I think our defence is well stacked up to the occasion.

Jayvin

My thinking was Keane was more mobile so Bozsik was a better fit to sit and cover for Facchetti when needed while Keane plays a more all-action role.

Enigma_87

You know who
Xavi wasn't renowed for his work-rate was he? I think we both have two defensive minded midfielders who will 'put in a shift' so I don't think either have much advantage there.
On the contrary mate, Xavi is well renown for his work rate and this is prime Xavi here, not the 2014 one.

As stated in the OP Jairzinho has been instructed to provide width on the right to keep Schnellinger occupied and keep him from supporting the CBs against Henry and Romario.
Yeah Jairzinho will mainly be occupied by Schnellinger while Desailly, Maldini will cover for Henry and Romario, midfield will defend as an unit and Dani Alves wide, with the help of some of the midfielders when needed.

Jayvin

Platini will not put the same work rate as our midfielders and while Bozsik will not be a passenger I feel we have the upper hand there.
Maybe not the same as Souness and Schuster but I don't think there's that much difference between Platini and Xavi in terms of work-rate.

Also I actually think that video you posted shows Stam did pretty well against Ronaldo!

harms

Staff
Also - is it me, or will the trio of Ronaldinho-Eusebio-Ronaldo with that midfield would look more like a diamond and less like a 4-3-3?

Ronaldo - Eusebio
-------Dinho------
--Souness--Xavi-- (maybe a different scheme for midfielders too)
-----Schuster-----
------back 5-----

Enigma_87

You know who
Maybe not the same as Souness and Schuster but I don't think there's that much difference between Platini and Xavi in terms of work-rate.

Also I actually think that video you posted shows Stam did pretty well against Ronaldo!
I think you are underrating Xavi in that respect (as usually is) but at his peak he ran his socks off mate.

Stam had some excellent challenges, but Ronaldo got the better of him most of the time. He was more marked by De Boer mind and still got a goal and always looked threatening when he had the ball. He'll have Dinho and Eusebio to help here which is to a great advantage to him as well.

Enigma_87

You know who
Also - is it me, or will the trio of Ronaldinho-Eusebio-Ronaldo with that midfield would look more like a diamond and less like a 4-3-3?

Ronaldo - Eusebio
-------Dinho------
-----Schuster-----
------back 5-----
To be fair the difference in diamond and 4-3-3 is often not that much depending on where the ball is. The midfield will shore at times and will stretch in others. Dinho is more to the left however with both him, Ronaldo and Eusebio stretching up the play.

It's hard to pinpoint the exact positions of the front three as they will interchange a lot - that's just their game. Dinho loved that left wing with the option to cut in, while Ronaldo and Eusebio loved to peel out.

We have the space in behind Keane/Bozsik and the defensive line so that one of Ronaldo/Eusebio and Dinho to drop in space while the others look for free channels.

But in terms of formation it's 4-3-3 what I'm looking for here.

Basically more space for us centrally means potentially more time on the ball for our front three, which is what our gameplan is about. We have to defend as an unit and keep the midfield ticking while provide the stage for that front three. I can see them getting some joy especially with Keane and Bozsik engaged in that midfield battle.

Feels wrong voting against a team that has R9 and Ronaldinho but Jayvin has the better team in this one.
Well obviously I disagree mate (but respect your opinion), as IMO our midfield and attack has all the balance, creativity and fluidity that is required combined with one of the best three pure defenders in the game in Maldini, Schnellinger and Desailly.

Last edited:

Jayvin

Few points:

-- Dani Alves/Xavi/Eusebio right flank perhaps lacks defensive strength compared to Facchetti/Bozsik/Henry.

-- Thuram a great fit to defend against Ronaldinho, able to track him out wide and comfortable as a 3rd central defender when the Brazilian cuts inside.

-- I feel my side has more threat going forward via Platini who has more freedom (and is more naturally inclined) to get into the box than Enigma's midfielders, providing an extra goal threat which Enigma's team doesn't really have.

Enigma_87

You know who
Few points:

-- Dani Alves/Xavi/Eusebio right flank perhaps lacks defensive strength compared to Facchetti/Bozsik/Henry.

-- Thuram a great fit to defend against Ronaldinho, able to track him out wide and comfortable as a 3rd central defender when the Brazilian cuts inside.

-- I feel my side has more threat going forward via Platini who has more freedom (and is more naturally inclined) to get into the box than Enigma's midfielders, providing an extra goal threat which Enigma's team doesn't really have.
Dani Alves and Xavi is a proven pair both defensively and offensively winning 5 La Ligas, 3 CL's, 4 Copa del Rey's and many other trophies together. I respectfully disagree and I don't think that right side lacks anything. For one I find it really surprising that this side has been questioned during this draft as they are part of one of the best teams in history that swept everything under the sun for a half a decade, playing in the exact same roles and positions, having much less defensive support compared to a team with defensive monsters in Desailly, Maldini and Schnellinger in.
Also Dani Alves tends to be underrated IMO in that sense, still apart from that Barca team he was an integral part of a Sevilla team that won 2 EL titles and one Copa del Rey title on the trot.

Ronnie and Thuram are like Jarizinho and Schnellinger really they are both in similar roles and what they are facing. Ronnie will move a lot and create space for both Ronaldo and Eusebio.

I don't think we need another attacking midfielder in the set up, on the contrary. Having another goalscoring threat would disbalance the whole team. We need that space for both 3 attackers to drop in and Ronaldo, Dinho and Eusebio have scored north of 1000 goals in their career given all the injuries and the shorter peak that they had in the case of Dinho and Ronaldo.

Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Eusebio are one of the best pure attackers in the game, and while Platini will provide more numbers we don't need that for our midfield as it's main purpose is to provide the stage for that front three and purely in terms of attacking threat I think ours is greater in this game, based on both individual quality and as a combination of their qualities.

Platini will be well covered having in mind the numbers we will have in the back and while our midfield is not our biggest attacking threat, still Souness long range ability should not be underestimated :)

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Thanks mate, it was on the back of your inspiration but with bigger images.
Yeah, I got that - but you made it look much better, mine were hardly identifiable without a magnifying glass

harms

Staff
To be fair the difference in diamond and 4-3-3 is often not that much depending on where the ball is
Yeah, it's definitely not that important and in the game we'll see both formations depending on the situation, as your front three is nicely balanced, mobile and absolutely interchangeable. Again, more of an aesthetic issue)

Jayvin

Ronnie and Thuram are like Jarizinho and Schnellinger really they are both in similar roles and what they are facing. Ronnie will move a lot and create space for both Ronaldo and Eusebio.
Yeah similar, I think Jairzinho is more capable of providing consistent width than Ronaldinho though.

RE: the Platini thing. I just meant you have 3 midfielders who will be sitting deep the majority of the game and I have midfielder who will be in and around the box giving a defence already dealing with the movement of Henry/Romario/Jairzinho something else to think about.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeah, I got that - but you made it look much better, mine were hardly identifiable without a magnifying glass
Thanks. I'll probably create a more uniform PSD template when I have a bit more free time and post it in the next drafts for someone who might find it useful. Only need to work out the arrows to be easy to add.
Yeah, it's definitely not that important and in the game we'll see both formations depending on the situation, as your front three is nicely balanced, mobile and absolutely interchangeable. Again, more of an aesthetic issue)
yeah, that's one of the reason why I didn't go for #10 and two holding midfielders - it won't give them the freedom they need to occupy those channels.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeah similar, I think Jairzinho is more capable of providing consistent width than Ronaldinho though.

RE: the Platini thing. I just meant you have 3 midfielders who will be sitting deep the majority of the game and I have midfielder who will be in and around the box giving a defence already dealing with the movement of Henry/Romario/Jairzinho something else to think about.
I don't think Ronnie providing a width is an issue, especially with both Ronaldo and Eusebio providing additional one. I don't think the attacking trio lacks anything in that aspect.

for Platini, as I responded to harms I need 3 deeper midfielders and no #10 otherwise with that front three it will become a clusterfeck and a lot of overlapping roles and zones. Souness also provides a threat from outside the box, so that's the element of surprise we can have from midfield as well.

Jayvin

Nope never wanted a CB, especially not Baresi :wenger:

:(

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
We have the better central defensive core while Jayvin has the better full backs, yet I think our defence is well stacked up to the occasion.
I don't think you do actually, looks pretty even to me and imo both of your centre backs peaked in other positions.

Maldini is clearly the biggest name and he's obviously the best player overall, but his best position was left back. In my opinion it's exaggeration to say that he was a better centre back than Ferdindand between 2006-08 - both of them were excellent but roughly the same level, with Nesta being slightly better than both and the stand out of the decade.

Enigma_87

You know who
I don't think you do actually, looks pretty even to me and imo both of your centre backs peaked in other positions.

Maldini is clearly the biggest name and he's obviously the best player overall, but his best position was left back. In my opinion it's exaggeration to say that he was a better centre back than Ferdindand between 2006-08 - both of them were excellent but roughly the same level, with Nesta being slightly better than both and the stand out of the decade.
Maldini played all over the defensive line, including starting as a right back. He played as a CB as well when it was needed and more when Baresi retired. 94 CL final against prime Romario is another example playing in that exact position against that exact attacker.

He's not better than Baresi at CB of course, but I'd personally back him to be the best CB on the pitch.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Maldini played all over the defensive line, including starting as a right back. He played as a CB as well when it was needed and more when Baresi retired. 94 CL final against prime Romario is another example playing in that exact position against that exact attacker.

He's not better than Baresi at CB of course, but I'd personally back him to be the best CB on the pitch.
I know that Maldini could play at centre back and you don't have to go back that far to find Maldini starting as a centre back in a champions league final. As I said in that post he was excellent and imo probably as good as Ferdinand at his peak - something that should clearly be read as praise and not criticism, as Ferdinand was one of the very best of the decade.

That doesn't change where Maldini's best position was though which was clearly left back. He partnered Nesta a number of times in the early-mid 00's and it was always clear imo that Nesta was the better central defender.

Maldini was obviously the better player overall though as he could play that CB role to such a high level, whilst being the gold standard when it comes to judging a fullback and the very best across any era.

Enigma_87

You know who
I know that Maldini could play at centre back and you don't have to go back that far to find Maldini starting as a centre back in a champions league final. As I said in that post he was excellent and imo probably as good as Ferdinand at his peak - something that should clearly be read as praise and not criticism, as Ferdinand was one of the very best of the decade.

That doesn't change where Maldini's best position was though which was clearly left back. He partnered Nesta a number of times in the early-mid 00's and it was always clear imo that Nesta was the better central defender.

Maldini was obviously the better player overall though as he could play that CB role to such a high level, whilst being the gold standard when it comes to judging a fullback and the very best across any era.
To me Maldini is one of the very few that can claim to have more than one best positions. Especially given his qualities and how good he actually was at CB apart from LB. In pure defensive sense I rate him above Ferdinand at CB as well. It's not a criticism on Ferdinand either given Maldini stature in the game and Ferdinand is still one of the best of an era (and was best during his time).

So probably we can agree to disagree on this one. :)

antohan

My thinking was Keane was more mobile so Bozsik was a better fit to sit and cover for Facchetti when needed while Keane plays a more all-action role.
My first reaction was the same as that of @harms but then I realised that must have been your thinking, and massive kudos for that: Keane belongs in a box-to-box role, he shouldn't be shackled to cover Giacinto.

antohan

I'd agree with that, but think they are being deployed correctly with Schnellinger a good match for Jairzinho and Maldini needed centrally to organise and keep on eye on those two pesky mobile midgets.

antohan

Ronaldo - Eusebio
-------Dinho------
-----Schuster-----
------back 5-----
Nah, don't think so as Schnellinger is sticking to a defensive job here. You need Dinho working the outside and inside left channels.

What I noticed is, despite telling someone a few days back that there was no need for Mascherano at DM, in this game in particular it would have been handy to stick Desailly in a holding role and free up Xavi and early Schuster in midfield. Shame Chumpito got injured :(

antohan

Not a cover, but I think their combined work rate would work well that side.
I think you need Keane pushing forward at the other end which has a defensive RB.

Bozsik will sit deep, which is a better fit to a covering role. Else on the right you have Jairzinho running solo with nobody to tandem with.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Nah, don't think so as Schnellinger is sticking to a defensive job here. You need Dinho working the outside and inside left channels.

What I noticed is, despite telling someone a few days back that there was no need for Mascherano at DM, in this game in particular it would have been handy to stick Desailly in a holding role and free up Xavi and early Schuster in midfield. Shame Chumpito got injured :(
That was me. Again I'd like Enigma's team much better with a marauding left-back. Even Maldini there would have been better.

harms

Staff
My first reaction was the same as that of @harms but then I realised that must have been your thinking, and massive kudos for that: Keane belongs in a box-to-box role, he shouldn't be shackled to cover Giacinto.
Well, maybe. I just think that if you want Facchetti to function at 100%, you have to at least try to help him out defensively. It's a handful trying to stop Alves and Eusebio by yourself, even if you have Stam covering for you (Stam closer to the left btw? nitpicking as usual). Henry definitely won't help and Bozsik won't be of much use either - you don't expect him to play as Davids or even Netto here, and he simply doesn't have the pace/acceleration to be useful against those speed merchants.

On the right Thuram is well-equipped to handle Ronaldinho and with more conservative roles of Souness and Schnellinger you don't have this constant secondary threat. So you can afford to move less mobile Bozsik here (he preferred the right side as well iirc), where he will face Souness, and he is tough enough to do well there, while his relative lack of pace won't be exposed. While Keane moves slightly to the left, helping out with Eusebio when needed and still occupying different attacking channel than Facchetti, there is enough space for them not to interfere with each other.

I see the reasoning of having Keane in Tardelli's role in zona mista (with marauding LWB), but unleashing the attacking input of Facchetti is more important, imo.

Enigma_87

You know who
That was me. Again I'd like Enigma's team much better with a marauding left-back. Even Maldini there would have been better.
Nah I don't think a marauding left back would work well with Jairzinho on the flank. A tucked in LB who is solid defensively is pretty much what I need in this game. Ronaldinho can provide the natural width on the left, helped by Ronaldo and Eusebio dropping wide while Dani Alves is the attacking one on the right flank and with not much cover from Henry on the left and only Facchetti there he'll have some joy.

Marauding LB will make our team more vulnerable on the break and I don't think it will add that much to the attacking output of the team.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Nah I don't think a marauding left back would work well with Jairzinho on the flank. A tucked in LB who is solid defensively is pretty much what I need in this game. Ronaldinho can provide the natural width on the left, helped by Ronaldo and Eusebio dropping wide while Dani Alves is the attacking one on the right flank and with not much cover from Henry on the left and only Facchetti there he'll have some joy.

Marauding LB will make our team more vulnerable on the break and I don't think it will add that much to the attacking output of the team.
I see the defensive case however I just don't buy Ronaldinho providing much width without someone more attacking (Dinho had van Bronckhorst at Barca)

Enigma_87

You know who
I see the defensive case however I just don't buy Ronaldinho providing much width without someone more attacking (Dinho had van Bronckhorst at Barca)
Sure, but the layout here is more like Abidal after Bronckhorst, pretty much similar in that LCB role in fact.

Ronaldinho is one that can truly offer width on the wing and will be looking to exploit openings and also moving inside provides space for Ronaldo to peel into.

antohan

Well, maybe. I just think that if you want Facchetti to function at 100%, you have to at least try to help him out defensively. It's a handful trying to stop Alves and Eusebio by yourself, even if you have Stam covering for you (Stam closer to the left btw? nitpicking as usual). Henry definitely won't help and Bozsik won't be of much use either - you don't expect him to play as Davids or even Netto here, and he simply doesn't have the pace/acceleration to be useful against those speed merchants.

On the right Thuram is well-equipped to handle Ronaldinho and with more conservative roles of Souness and Schnellinger you don't have this constant secondary threat. So you can afford to move less mobile Bozsik here (he preferred the right side as well iirc), where he will face Souness, and he is tough enough to do well there, while his relative lack of pace won't be exposed. While Keane moves slightly to the left, helping out with Eusebio when needed and still occupying different attacking channel than Facchetti, there is enough space for them not to interfere with each other.

I see the reasoning of having Keane in Tardelli's role in zona mista (with marauding LWB), but unleashing the attacking input of Facchetti is more important, imo.
I wouldn't ask Facchetti to do anything but play at 100%. When he attacks Alves isn't a concern as he is chasing him around. Eusebio can be more problematic, sure, and De Rossi would have been a better fit than Bozsik in this system and facing this threat.

He just got gangbanged by the same frontline in the quarters though.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Great battles all over the pitch.

Some proven partnerships: Ronaldinho-Xavi-Alves, Ronaldinho-R9, Stam-Ferdinand-Keane...

Platini is a very hard undertaking for the opposing midfield and I would have preferred a destroyer against Platini.

On the other hand, who can stop R9 at his prime?

My vote is still susceptible to change.

Last edited:

Tuppet

@Enigma_87 great team but I have concern about your right side, Did Eusebio even played toward the right side, didn't he used to lean on the left side, to cut in on his stronger right foot ? It seem Alves is the only player on the right side and him alone against Henry-Facchetti is not going to end well. Now Facchetti would have the same problem as Alves but -
a) He is a better defender (Not by too much though, From what I have seen he is always overrated defensively in drafts IMO).
b) I am not sure if Eusebio would even attack him.