MADN Draft Final: P-nut vs GSTQ

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

vs

Team P-nut

Style of play: Attacking 523. High defensive line with the wing backs pushed on.

Player roles:

Lehmann: GK command of his area and intimidating for 1v1s

Centre backs

All excellent on the ball to negate any sort of high press and dictate the pace of the game if given time and space.

Ferdinand: Peak Ferdinand, great at organising the defence and can use his pace to cover wide when required.
Rijkaard: Libero, stepping up into midfield to engage and get on the ball
Schulz: Mirror of Ferdinand.

Wing backs

Brazilian flying wing backs, at their peaks they both caused carnage in attacking areas and freed up space for their attacking counter parts.

Maicon: Ability to carry the ball from defence to attack, takes a defender away from Messi with his dangerous attacking capabilities.

Carlos: With protection behind him and from Fernandinho in midfield he'll be at his attacking best. Has a playmaker in Silva who will allow him the wide areas of the pitch to do his work.

Defensive midfield

Fernandinho: Typical ball winning defensive midfielder, played under Guardiola for years now so is comfortable in possesion. Even beyond his peak City struggled to function without him holding the midfield together.

Keane: Once again resumes his box to box role, supports Messi and Silva whilst giving Rijkaard room to step into midfield. Not much really needs explaining about his game here. Will get to showcase some of his playmaking rather than the limited holder he was later in his career.

Attacking midfield

License to drift around the pitch coming inside more often than having chalk on their boots. Silva and Messi will work in the channels and link up beautifully.

Silva: Possibly the best playmaker we've seen in the Premier league, he is used to sharing with a more dominant attacking midfielder in De Bruyne, and can drift inside and out linking play.

Messi: The GOAT, in his ideal position for me, support all around him and a tireless worker behind who still has on ball ability.

Striker

Rivaldo: He has been my utility man throughout this draft and here takes up the forward berth. His pace in behind will be key to opening gaps and his time playing deeper means he will add to the intricate link up play.

Team GSTQ

Style of play - Direct attacking football with quick, incisive moves through the wings and bombastic movement in the middle.

Inspiration

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Good luck @P-Nut

Since Schuster had 2 stints in Germany, once when he was younger and once when he was older, the Schuster I am using is the younger 20 year old from his Koln days. Below is a sample performance of what I expect of him in this game. In the below game, he displays great movement and energy in midfield. Excellent work rate helping out with winning the ball back multiple times throughout the game. Not playing the advanced midfielder role he played for Germany in his younger days like at Euro 1980, so should not step on Di Stefano's toes.

Credits to @Joga Bonito for the compilation and @harms for referring it to me earlier during the initial drafting.

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

Expected Pnut to use his setup from the previous game and build on it as Rijkaard and Carlos looked like perfect upgrades

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Expected Pnut to use his setup from the previous game and build on it as Rijkaard and Carlos looked like perfect upgrades

Wanted to lock down that middle of the park and make it a slugfest. Rijkaard, Keane and Fernandinho should be solid as a rock, whilst still having the creativity of Messi and Silva in the pockets and overwhelming Cerezo

Šjor Bepo

feck sake, few more injuries and scrappy and myself would finally be on the same wavelength :lol:
Defence much better then the last round, midfield finally shaping nicely but there is one to many out of Best and Ronaldo for my taste.....you pick one and replace other with a support player, specially considering you also have Don and Law in the team!

Peanuts team is looking better then i expected but that left side with Carlos and Schulz(dont really like the use of him) would get roasted. As for Rivaldo, dont really like him up top but as a trio i reckon they would make it work.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
feck sake, few more injuries and scrappy and myself would finally be on the same wavelength :lol:
Defence much better then the last round, midfield finally shaping nicely but there is one to many out of Best and Ronaldo for my taste.....you pick one and replace other with a support player, specially considering you also have Don and Law in the team!

Peanuts team is looking better then i expected but that left side with Carlos and Schulz(dont really like the use of him) would get roasted. As for Rivaldo, dont really like him up top but as a trio i reckon they would make it work.
Only criticism I could personally find as well with GSTQ, but mainly with Di Stefano and Ronaldo as they are on the same side of the pitch, and both are going to constantly want the ball off of the other. Best on the opposite side with support players surrounding him.

GodShaveTheQueen

Only criticism I could personally find as well with GSTQ, but mainly with Di Stefano and Ronaldo as they are on the same side of the pitch, and both are going to constantly want the ball off of the other. Best on the opposite side with support players surrounding him.
Di Stefano played with Gento on the left all his career at Madrid and Gento was an exclusively on the ball player as well. And while Di Stefano is graphically on the left, his game play usually was all over the pitch, so as likely that he would link up with Best as much as he would with Cristiano.

but there is one to many out of Best and Ronaldo for my taste.....you pick one and replace other with a support player, specially considering you also have Don and Law in the team!
I think considering how the teams are lined up, Di Stefano will have a much larger role to play in the midfield, so there will be phases when the front 3 would be in action upfront with Di Stefano very deep. The team is hence portrayed as a 4-3-3 although it can have been lined up as a pretty good 4-2-3-1 as well with Di Stefano in the hole.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Good luck @P-Nut

Since Schuster had 2 stints in Germany, once when he was younger and once when he was older, the Schuster I am using is the younger 20 year old from his Koln days. Below is a sample performance of what I expect of him in this game. In the below game, he displays great movement and energy in midfield. Excellent work rate helping out with winning the ball back multiple times throughout the game. Not playing the advanced midfielder role he played for Germany in his younger days like at Euro 1980, so should not step on Di Stefano's toes.

Credits to @Joga Bonito for the compilation and @harms for referring it to me earlier during the initial drafting.
Even Schuster in Euro1980 was not an advanced role,he played at rcm in Euro1980.More of a two way midfielder,who went to support the German attack and defense.Kalle played more at advanced role behind Horst and Allof.Maybe attacking b2b for Schuster(the game vs Hollanda German had Rummenigge,Schuster and Hansi Muller in their team).

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I don’t have a problem with Di stefano,he ran all over the pitches.He even ran to lcb/lb position ,when it came to defensive-phase.Schuster for me is a perfect supporting midfielder(or you can call “sidekick”)for number10 or main playmaker.Di Stefano really liked speedy wingers from 2sides(left/right) on the pitch and Ronaldo and Best were fit in this regard.

Himannv

A much better team from P-Nut here. I think the midfield and defense looks great but I’m having trouble visualizing how that attack works with Rivaldo up top.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeh. Should just have Messi as False 9.

Messi against Vidic and Moore, hmmm...

Himannv

I’m not a huge fan of GSTQs midfield - maybe I’m not a big believer in Cerezo. They’re up against Keane, Fernandinho, and Rijkaard and that’s a tough ask for anyone. Having said that, there isn’t enough info on tactics to make much of a case on anything that will happen in this game.

GodShaveTheQueen

Having said that, there isn’t enough info on tactics to make much of a case on anything that will happen in this game.
To be fair, it's not much out of the ordinary to write much about for a direct 4-3-3

Himannv

To be fair, it's not much out of the ordinary to write much about for a direct 4-3-3
A 4-3-3 can operate in different ways. What is your plan when you don’t have the ball and how do you plan to win it back? What is the most common attacking approach you’d employ? Who are the key players who can help you play direct football and how good are they at implementing your tactics? Do you employ a high line or are you playing fairly deep? How do you plan to control the game? What does a typical attacking formation look like when you have the ball? How do you deal with their midfield threat? How are you planning to deal with Messi? How do you deal with Silva? What is the ordinary 4-3-3 and why did you go for this formation when your opponent has a back 5, which is defensively suited to counter your formation setup? Lots to write about IMO.

GodShaveTheQueen

A 4-3-3 can operate in different ways. What is your plan when you don’t have the ball and how do you plan to win it back? What is the most common attacking approach you’d employ? Who are the key players who can help you play direct football and how good are they at implementing your tactics? Do you employ a high line or are you playing fairly deep? How do you plan to control the game? What does a typical attacking formation look like when you have the ball? How do you deal with their midfield threat? How are you planning to deal with Messi? How do you deal with Silva? What is the ordinary 4-3-3 and why did you go for this formation when your opponent has a back 5, which is defensively suited to counter your formation setup? Lots to write about IMO.
Yea, those are fair points that can be addressed in an ideal OP.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I’m not a huge fan of GSTQs midfield - maybe I’m not a big believer in Cerezo. They’re up against Keane, Fernandinho, and Rijkaard and that’s a tough ask for anyone. Having said that, there isn’t enough info on tactics to make much of a case on anything that will happen in this game.
I don’t really think that Keane, Fernandinho & Rijkaard stack up very well. You can easily swap Fernandinho for some playmaker without losing much. I’m also not sure why Rijkaard is the furthest player back considering that he’s by far the most threatening out of the three in terms of attacking contribution.

Both sides would benefit from swapping at least 1 midfielder with each other at random.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Very nice.

Edit - I'd probably swap Rio and Ayala because I prefer the direct match ups where Ayala is a good fit against Law and Rio’s class on the deck is a necessary insurance against Best.

Himannv

I don’t really think that Keane, Fernandinho & Rijkaard stack up very well. You can easily swap Fernandinho for some playmaker without losing much. I’m also not sure why Rijkaard is the furthest player back considering that he’s by far the most threatening out of the three in terms of attacking contribution.

Both sides would benefit from swapping at least 1 midfielder with each other at random.
I do not have much of a problem with Rijkaard and Keane generally speaking - agree regarding Fernandinho. Since Rijkaard is a Sweeper here it’s less of a concern I think. Once again it depends on what he wants to achieve with his tactics.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I do not have much of a problem with Rijkaard and Keane generally speaking - agree regarding Fernandinho. Since Rijkaard is a Sweeper here it’s less of a concern I think. Once again it depends on what he wants to achieve with his tactics.
Oh, Rijkaard & Keane would be an amazing midfield. It’s just that Fernandinho is redundant here and also restricts Rijkaard as the latter is put deeper in a more Ajax-95 and less of a Milan role.

GodShaveTheQueen

Very nice.

Edit - I'd probably swap Rio and Ayala because I prefer the direct match ups where Ayala is a good fit against Law and Rio’s class on the deck is a necessary insurance against Best.
Yea, that is a fair shout. Also thought Buchwald/Maicon would have been a good proposition to deal with Cristiano.

Šjor Bepo

id keep everything the same just put Buchwald instead Schulz

GodShaveTheQueen

Congrats, @GodShaveTheQueen . I had you and himman as the best teams since round 1. Then your next rounds picks were just insane :lol:
Beckenbauer, Lahm, Figueroa, Di Stefano, Best and Facchetti in reinforcements for me. I probably had better reinforcements than the rest of you all combined :lol:

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
In fact,If they play in only one game,I think it will be different results too.

P-Nut team have solid midfielders that can shut-down any attackers and everyone have great defensive qualities and know how to make fouls when it is necessary(Fernandinho,Keane and Frank)

You can park the bus,defense with low-blocks with a solid defensive midfielder core and then fast counter-attacking by Messi,Silva and Rivaldo.

Or you can change your formation to 4-3-3 direct counter-attacking( a bit similar to Mourinho)with Messi as false9.Attack by the the dominant flank with offensive full-backs and wing forwards,your midfielders have main duty to break the game,do the defensive jobs and pass It to creative attackers like Messi ,Silva and Rivaldo.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Beckenbauer, Lahm, Figueroa, Di Stefano, Best and Facchetti in reinforcements for me. I probably had better reinforcements than the rest of you all combined :lol:
It's like the stars were just lining up. You needed to strengthen defence and midfield, and they just fell into your lap. Just incredible, man. :lol: