MADN Draft QF: Caretaker_Mustard vs P-nut

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

vs

Team Caretaker

Formation: 3-3-1-3 Bielsa style-eee

Kamikaze, turbo-paced attacking football.

- Nesta will clearly need to play out of his skin here, but there's few CBs in history that you'd rather have in such a pivotal role.
- Bielsa often preferred FBs or midfielders in those side defender roles to CBs. Brehme actually played frequently in his later career as a sweeper, as well as being deployed as a DM at times when he was younger, so he's no stranger to a more central role. Assuming Messi plays off the right wing, Lizarazu actually looks a better option to face him than a more cumbersome and lumbering CB.
- Dunga should enjoy pinging passes from that DM role, as well as tackling anything that moves. Nedved and Mendieta in the side midfielder/inverted WB roles both boast a proper two-way game and the immense stamina and workrate required to excel in that role.
- All of the front four have at some time played under a rigorous high-press orientated coach - Stoichkov and Laudrup under Cruyff, Henry under Guardiola, and MVB under Sacchi. Henry would probably prefer to be deployed centrally with licence to drift wide, but he should still be effective in that role and will warm to the task of exploiting the space behind Maicon or running at him directly.

Team P-nut

Classical WM tactics with Batistuta as a focal point allowing Messi and Kaka to cause chaos in the half spaces with defenders occupied by the front 3.

Conti and Rivaldo man the flanks providing width to keep the defence stretched.

Self explanatory defensive midfield and back line.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I’m getting the Madrid - Eintracht vibes in terms of the total goals scored!

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
feck me sideways but the old cat did it, reckon mustard team wins this.....dont like the left side of peanuts WM(Kaka/Rivaldo), though Cashley would be brilliant there.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Them teams :drool:

Some feedback for Pnut since he will be going through, the team really needs a midfielder who can get the best out of Messi. The reason I say that is because the team looks better without Messi IMO (not just in this round)

harms

Staff
There's one too many attacking midfielders in P-Nut's team. I never like when Rivaldo gets exiled out wide, if you're not playing him as a proper number 10 at least put him in a 4-2-2-2 where he would look nicely. Even a zona mista with Conti pushed back & Cole running into that outside left channel would've been better.

In a game where both attacks so clearly overwhelm their defensive opponents, I'll go with a cleaner attacking set up.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
There's one too many attacking midfielders in P-Nut's team. I never like when Rivaldo gets exiled out wide, if you're not playing him as a proper number 10 at least put him in a 4-2-2-2 where he would look nicely. Even a zona mista with Conti pushed back & Cole running into that outside left channel would've been better.

In a game where both attacks so clearly overwhelm their defensive opponents, I'll go with a cleaner attacking set up.
Yeah I was going to play with 3 AMs all interchanging, but thought I'd go for the more adventurous WM as its a dead rubber and it's more fun to dissect, build and talk about.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Honestly,I don’t have a problem with Rivaldo plays at lw.It isn’t his best role but he can contribute really well for sure.The problem is when Rivaldo plays at lw,he likes to cutting inside to the middle of the pitch and then sometimes it will overlap with Kaka‘s area.Like I have said before Rivaldo and Kaka isn’t possible best fit similar to Ronaldinho and Kaka.

Other departments both teams are great,excellent for sure.

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Honestly,I don’t have a problem with Rivaldo plays at lw.It isn’t his best role but he can contribute really well for sure.The problem is when Rivaldo plays at lw,he likes to cutting inside to the middle of the pitch and then sometimes it will overlap with Kaka‘s area.Like I have said before Rivaldo and Kaka isn’t possible best fit similar to Ronaldinho and Kaka.

Other both teams are great,excellent for sure.
He obviously can make fantastic crosses from the left etc. The issue is, he’d still be trying to cut inside a lot (while outside left in a front 5 really, really needs to stay wide), where you already have Kaka and Messi. He’d probably sulk a lot as well. You don’t even have someone like Davids/Lerby to support him out wide, it’s Fernandinho… and Cole would be restricted to defense all of the time (more so than in our usual draft arithmetic).

I’ve seen good formations with Rivaldo on the left of a 4-2-3-1, for example. You can certainly create a role out wide where Rivaldo would look alright and even great in. But this one isn’t it.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
He obviously can make fantastic crosses from the left etc. The issue is, he’d still be trying to cut inside a lot (while outside left in a front 5 really, really needs to stay wide), where you already have Kaka and Messi. He’d probably sulk a lot as well. You don’t even have someone like Davids/Lerby to support him out wide, it’s Fernandinho… and Cole would be restricted to defense all of the time (more so than in our usual draft arithmetic).

I’ve seen good formations with Rivaldo on the left of a 4-2-3-1, for example. You can certainly create a role out wide where Rivaldo would look alright and even great in. But this one isn’t it.
Yep,I would agree that he lacks support from wide.
He had some good crosses from the left too.To bring him in best forms IMO he really wants a bit of overlapping full backs or midfielders who support him out wide(which they don't have both).