MADN Draft QF: Himannv vs Enigma_87

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

------------------------------ Himannv ---------------------------------------- Enigma_87 -------------------------

Himannv

Tactics
:

Attack:
  • Maradona in a free role to go wherever he wants. I have him on the right here to indicate that both him and Baggio would attack wide areas more in this setup. I expect he'd often operate right from the center of the pitch if it suits him to do so.
  • There were a few videos I watched of Baggio where he's great at drawing players to him when he's on the ball and then playing it off to someone else (hopefully Diego in my case) so that the person he's passing it off to has the space to impact the game.

Midfield:
  • I have Lothar playing more to the left here to ensure he and Diego don't operate in the same areas here as much, while his offensive and defensive workrate will count more in terms of making that flank more defensively stable, but also dangerous with Baggio playing ahead of him.
  • Modric playing on the left as he did so often with Spurs when he was with him. He'd also be the one to drop deeper and help play it out from there. I have him close to Diego as I think he's the sort of playmaker who if very selfless and will work on setting things up to get the best of Diego.
  • Makelele in the Makelele role shielding the back four. On the ball, he'd be playing those short passes that he usually does to start attacks or play in one of the others.

Defence:
  • Maldini and Burgnich are both players who are comfortable wider, but they're also fantastic defenders as CBs who will be solid and uncompromising.
  • I rate Kimmich's ability on the ball quite highly and I think he'll be the one getting on the ball a lot and help play it out.

Enigma_87

Formation: 5-3-2
Style: Counter attacking

Defence:

Marschalled by Sammer in his favorite 5 man backline, our defence is consisting of two high flying full backs in Dani Alves and Jordi Alba who are very well familiar with each other and can provide in both phases of the game. In the heart of defence Sammer is pulling the strings and Gamarra and Ferrara are well equipped in dealing with wide threats and generally fit like a glove in a 5 man backline setup.

Midfield:
A robust unit of two duracel bunnies in Kante and Tardelli are the perfect counter against the opposition stacked midfield lead by Maradona. In front of them we also have Sir Bobby Charlton as main playmaker who will also contribute to the midfield battle.

Attack:
Our attack is lead the best #9 in the game in Fenomeno, who is assisted by Gullit in a second striker role. Both of them are natural fit that can very well mesh with each other.

Good luck @Himannv @Enigma_87

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Dont like Himannv's central defensive core. Maldini-Makelele-Burgnich is in general too passive for my liking, and against a press capable front 3 comprising Charlton and Gullit, it would be found out at time IMO.

Love the front 3 though, especially since he moved away from a front 2 and rather went with the two IF setup. I think that is the best use of Maradona and Baggio. Also think Modric/Matthaus is an excellent partnership, espeicially the Spurs version of Modric who played mostly with players like Matthaus alongside unlike at Real Madrid.

Great team from Enigma too, almost flawless. Love that it can transform pretty nicely at times with Charlton moving to the left and Gullit to the right giving lots of space for the midfielders and Sammer. Only thing I would probably pick on is that Hellstrom vs Schmeichel is a big plus for Himannv - could be a potential vote decider in a close game like this.

damn what a game! Best so far?
Definitely.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Dont like Himannv's central defensive core. Maldini-Makelele-Burgnich is in general too passive for my liking, and against a press capable front 3 comprising Charlton and Gullit, it would be found out at time IMO.
for some bizarre reason enigma going to defensive and playing counter when the high press and Sammer on Maradona was by far the better solution....

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Himannv's team is a complete team.You have 2 fullbacks who can support Maradona and Baggio in attacking phase.Matthaus,Modric and Makelele all of them can cooperate perfectly and have super workrates with great defensive skills.Muller will enjoy a lot of services from Baggio,Maradona too and he can link the play with Baggio and Maradona(underrated part of his game).

Enigma make a super team too,Ronaldo and Gullit are very suitable for counter-attacking games.Alves and Alba are great supporters from flanks too.

Only thing I'm a bit concern is aerial ability of Burgnich and Maldini.Burgnich was only 175 cm and he wasn't Passarella type of leapers and Maldini had lost a lot of aerial-balls during cb days too(he was good header but not great imho).

Last edited:

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Old Maldini that paired with Nesta,yes
Peak Maldini that paired with Baresi(in some matches),he was super aggresive defender.

Depends on which version of Maldini,imho.

Himannv

Nice team, @Enigma_87 - best of luck!

I think the tactics used aren't ideal considering the various dangers my side brings. I think using the midfield to deal with Diego is leaving room for someone like Matthaus to change the game. I'd say it even affords Baggio and Modric the opportunity to make a difference to the outcome too much. Someone suggested having Sammer deal with Diego and that sounds like a more viable tactic as that gives your midfield a better opportunity to deal with mine.

I think both sides have quality all over but the main differentiator is Schmeichel vs Hellstrom for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Hellstrom is a poor keeper or anything like that, but there is a quality difference there that might be telling in terms of deciding the game.

Enigma_87

You know who
Himannv's team is a complete team.You have 2 fullbacks who can support Maradona and Baggio in attacking phase.Matthaus,Modric and Makelele all of them can cooperate perfectly and have super workrates with great defensive skills.Muller will enjoy a lot of services from Baggio,Maradona too and he can link the play with Baggio and Maradona(underrated part of his game).

Enigma make a super team too,Ronaldo and Gullit are very suitable for counter-attacking games.Alves and Alba are great supporters from flanks too.

Only thing I'm a bit concern is aerial ability of Burgnich and Maldini.Burgnich was only 175 cm and he wasn't Passarella type of leapers and Maldini had lost a lot of aerial-balls during cb days too(he was good header but not great imho).
Yeah, I think that's very viable route to goal, considering the wide threat and the delivery from the side, especially Dani Alves, who has proven over the years he can produce some peach of a crosses.
On top of that I think Sir Bobby deserves some spotlight here an I like him operating between the lines and causing Makelele all sorts of problems.

Will use the opportunity to highlight @harms compilation of him

Enigma_87

You know who

good vote turnaround so far but if someone else wants to chime in inside Fergie time:D

Enigma_87

You know who
Well done @Himannv . I knew it was an uphill battle from the off and especially after the RR where I couldn't really upgrade all that much bar Alves.

Best of luck going forward!

harms

Staff
Probably a fair result considering a discrepancy between the keepers and questionable peak of Gamarra (one year in La Liga with Atlético getting relegated), but I really liked that Enigma's team. Ronaldo — Gullit — Charlton is a thing of beauty, midfield that's going to be a challenge for any opponent & Alves in a great position to influence the game as he can.

General_Elegancia

Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Gamara was selected to be 5 times South American Ideal team of The Year and he was in 1998 World Cup team of tournaments probably great but he wasn’t successful in Europe(Inter,Benfica,Atletico),a bit weird case.

harms

Staff
Now, that's a valid, but strange reason...

But I will let it go.
I think H. Herrera had already proven that good chemistry can be translated into success on the pitch.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Now, that's a valid, but strange reason...
Why strange? That Gamarra bit pointed out by Pat did make me reconsider my vote, but Enigma's team was definitely more coherent IMO.

Now that I noticed it, @Šjor Bepo Enigma's team doesn't have league names mentioned. I did want to pick Fenomeno in reinforcements but not the Spain version, so opted out.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Why strange? That Gamarra bit pointed out by Pat did make me reconsider my vote, but Enigma's team was definitely more coherent IMO.

Now that I noticed it, @Šjor Bepo Enigma's team doesn't have league names mentioned. I did want to pick Fenomeno in reinforcements but not the Spain version, so opted out.
said it multiple times to put it on formation pictures, didnt have time to babysit during the game

harms

Staff
Oh, is Ronaldo from Spain? His Barca season was incredible but that's also a bit of a surprise.

Enigma_87

You know who

Fenomeno is the Italian version. Had very little time these days so missed on that part.