MADN Draft R1: Himannv vs Sjor

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

---------------------------------------------------- Himannv --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sjor-----------------------------------------

Himannv write-up

Formation: 3-4-1-2

Tactics:

Sjor write-up

Tactics:
Classic 442
Defending relatively deep, aggressive pressing/intensity at that point
With Redondo we are having one of the biggest brains in history so not gonna use every chance like morons to counter but will take them wisely with Redondo pulling the strings and unleashing two wide mayhems. Up front Greaves in his best role with goal-scoring machine up front.

De Gea(eng) - insane levels at his peak, could win any game of football on his own he was that good
Pavard(ger) - WC winner, starter for Bayern Munchen, that alone tells you everything. Good old school balanced fullback who will give you 7 out of 10 for majority of weeks.
McGrath(eng) - one man defence at times
Costacurta(ita) - one of the best sidekicks ever, no matter what position it was or who was next to him he did his job perfectly
Brehme(ger) - in wingback role, his crossing for Shearer/Greaves is a glorious route to goal
Senna(spa) - always cringe when they say "Riquelme's Villarreal", this guy was the guy and his partnership with Redondo should be fantastic given his understanding with Xavi for Spain
Redondo(spa) - see above
Littbarski(ger) - draft darling so decided to ruin his record
Duff(eng) - like Littbarski, absolute nightmare for any defender, pace to burn, low center of gravity, lovely technique, great left foot
Greaves(eng) - in his best role rather then the usual usage where he leads the line
Shearer(eng) - no idea why he isnt used more, goalscoring machine and pre-injury version makes him a much more attractive and usable then the likes of Ruud, Pippo and co. who are also not often used but could be used as an argument

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Easy win for me IMO, Matthaus and Diego will clash and after that its a walk in the park.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
That is a really good 4-4-2. Quite cohesive with excellent fits.

Himannv

Posting the leagues.

Schmeichel - England
Burgnich - Italy
Blankenburg - Germany
Maldini - Italy
Kimmich - Germany
Briegel - Germany
Makelele - England
Matthaus - Italy
Maradona - Italy
Baggio - Italy
Owen - England

GodShaveTheQueen

The one thing I dislike about Himan's team is Makelele there. Should be someone who would contribute more going forward, especially with Briegel there too who while has played the role, isn't the most expansive or aggressive of LBs going forward for me. Of course, only the first round, so a lot of time to build upon.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

It would be interesting to see Lothar play alongside a ball dominant, very involved, yet more advanced 10 like Maradona. Most of the time the creative players he was around were more midfieldish hybrid 8/10 types, side midfielders and wing-backs that were happy to be the sidekick to an ironlung CM and left the space for his goalscoring side very well. Maradona did seem to be able to gel with such a wide variety of players, but i'm less convinced about Matthaus himself, the German NT was never able to get the best out of Bein, Moller, Thon as the more advanced 10 he was in the 80s or even Effenberg with him as the centre-piece ( though Vogts coaching and own arguments with those players probably played at least as big a part there), and he was a disruptive personality.

Of course with the quality of Maradona and Baggio, him having to play a more restrained role that pisses him off in real-life might not make much difference in a draft context, but it's just something that came to mind. I've always wondered if a midfield with schuster and him would have ended up less than the sum of the parts too, because of the personalities involved.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Himannv's team is weirdly less intimidating than you'd expect. I'm not really a fan of his front three at least, although Riva would've made them much better.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
h-man back 4 would be fecked against a great high press team, of course i had to take a different alley this time :lol:

GodShaveTheQueen

It would be interesting to see Lothar play alongside a ball dominant, very involved, yet more advanced 10 like Maradona. Most of the time the creative players he was around were more midfieldish hybrid 8/10 types, side midfielders and wing-backs that were happy to be the sidekick to an ironlung CM and left the space for his goalscoring side very well. Maradona did seem to be able to gel with such a wide variety of players, but i'm less convinced about Matthaus himself, the German NT was never able to get the best out of Bein, Moller, Thon as the more advanced 10 he was in the 80s or even Effenberg with him as the centre-piece ( though Vogts coaching and own arguments with those players probably played at least as big a part there), and he was a disruptive personality.

Of course with the quality of Maradona and Baggio, him having to play a more restrained role that pisses him off in real-life might not make much difference in a draft context, but it's just something that came to mind. I've always wondered if a midfield with schuster and him would have ended up less than the sum of the parts too, because of the personalities involved.
Reminds me of an OP from one of my drafts games long ago. Of course, no way I dont pick Matthaus and Diego together if available :lol:

Michael/GSTQ
Formation: 4-4-2

Managers that pick Matthaus as the first pick don't often win the draft and there is a very good reason for that. They don't try to get the best out of their marquee player. The best way to build a draft team in our opinion is to build it around the best player in your team and maximize his influence on the setup. Sounds obvious and easy to do with the likes of Maradona or Di Stefano or Baresi or Beckenbauer. Not so much with the likes of Matthaus and Rijkaard. The most usual misuse of course is to shoehorn Lothar into a double pivot and place a pure No.10 ahead of him with of course the eventual hope of replacing him with a GOAT No.10 in reinforcements. That more or less converts Matthaus into a minor upgrade over players like Davids/Tigana/Keane etc. Someone who could provide a base for the playmaker ahead of him to shine. But Matthaus of course was so much better than that and offers way more than any of them listed earlier. One simply needs to use him in the right setup around the right set of players who rather than limit his game, make use of his skills both on and off the ball to the maximum.

Hence, we will be playing a 4-4-2 formation looking to make the most out of the aerial ability and pace of our front 2 as well as our all time great wingers. Its a setup that gets the best out of every one of our players. More importantly, it gets the best out of Matthaus in both directions.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I dunno. Maradona and Matthaus look golden together for me. Matthaus is one of the most complete players of all time, but if there's one area he didn't reach all-time status in it was his playmaking. As such i don't see any stepping-on-each-other's-toes.

All of that said, if you were purely maximising the attacking outputs of Matthaus, you'd make him the roaming 10 in your 3-5-2 to maximise his freedom, and importantly pair him with good all-round forwards who can work the line and play back-to-goal like Klinsmann and Voller.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Interesting about Matthuaus role,I think his world cup 86 version could fit really well with Maradona,his Inter/post 88- I'm not sure about it .Anyway Himannv team is a hell of front-line,Maradona was known for favour a rapid attacker(like Caniggia) and Owen will be gotten a lot of chances by Maradona.Great 4-4-2 from Sjor Bepo too.

Outside football,Matthaus and Diego were really close friends.

Last edited: