MADN Draft R1: Mustard vs EAP

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

vs

Team Mustard

Formation/Style of Play: Direct 3-4-3, dropping back into a 5-4-1 in organised, sustained defensive phases.

A Conte-influenced formation, with a group of ferociously competitive and energetic players that the Italian would love to manage. The team is well capable of pressing higher in phases but for the most part we expect to defend in a deeper block and counter at pace. Kempes and Best provide our main creative thrust and will be difficult for the opposition to pick up in those half-spaces, and in Passarella, Stielike, Robson and Luis Enrique, we have an impressive range of runners from deeper areas who pack a huge collective goal threat.

- I opted for two proper CBs to flank Passarella rather than FBs in those positions for a few reasons. Firstly, with the opposition probably set to field a physically imposing, penalty box expert duo of Seeler and RVN, Aldair and Godin look like better fits than Angloma and Sergi. Secondly, I wanted to give Passarella plenty of licence to gallop upfield in his libero role, so Aldair and Godin will frequently be playing quite close together. Finally, Aldair has good pedigree in this role, impressing as the RCB for Lazaroni's Brazil in a 3-5-2 during their victorious 1989 Copa America and subsequent 1990 WC qualifying campaign.

- Luis Enrique has racked up plenty of appearances as both a FB and a wide midfielder so I have no concerns at all about his suitability for this role. Aside from his sheer quality and influence as a player, the main rationale for playing him there over a more orthodox WB like Angloma or Benarrivo was his potential combination play with Best. While he's more than capable of providing orthodox width on the outside, he'll offer a unique threat breaking into dangerous positions on the underlap when Best carries the ball into wider areas.

Pat Jennings (England)
Aldair (Italy)
Daniel Passarella (Italy)
Diego Godin (Spain)
Luis Enrique (Spain)
Antonio Benarrivo (Italy)
Uli Stielike (Spain)
Bryan Robson (England)
George Best (England)
Mario Kempes (Spain)
Andriy Shevchenko (Italy)

Team EAP

Injured: Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck
Bench: Xavi, M Reus, E Cavani, R. Weidenfeller

Formation: 4-4-2 Diamond

Tactics:
Strong D-line with two 'one-man flank' fullbacks. Tireless motor and solid at both ends. Scirea marshals the D with Helmer's support.
Sousa's sublime passing flanked with two hard working box to box midfielders makes for a highly robust and creative midfield unit.
Cruyff is the perfect man to bring the midfield and attack and ensure that the super-leathal Seeler and RvN have abundance of opportunities to score.

Note: Though Hassler often played as RM, he is two footed and has scored some cracking goals with his left foot. He's also played as LCM is Euro'96 successfully!

Thomas Helmer: (Thanks to Enigma!)
Helmer was one of the very best central defenders Germany has ever had(and that's some competition) and one highlight was that long ball by Helmer during the 1996 final which resulted in Germany lifting the EURO for third time. One of the top stoppers for Bayern Munich he won the Bundesliga 3 times, 2 DFB Pokal's as well as 1 UEFA cup and 1 CL final(lost to us) and of course that EURO title with Germany. He was tough, very strong tackling world class defender in his peak who was also excellent in the air and went on to captain Bayern Munich side in the late 90's. He's also a natural left footed CB who's capable of playing as LCB flexible to drifting wide if needed.

Personal accolades and Kicker rating:
Best Libero - 1990-2
Best Marker - 1995 , 1996, 1997

Playing XI:

U. Seeler (GER)
R. Van Nistelrooy (ENG)
J. Cruyff (SPA)
S. Gerrard (ENG)
T. Hassler (GER)
P. Sousa (ITA)
G. Scirea (ITA)
A. Cabrini (ITA)
J Zanetti (ITA)
T. Helmer (GER)
T. Schumacher (GER)

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Playing XI:

U. Seeler (GER)
R. Van Nistelrooy (ENG)
J. Cruyff (SPA)
S. Gerrard (ENG)
T. Hassler (GER)
P. Sousa (ITA)
G. Scirea (ITA)
A. Cabrini (ITA)
J Zanetti (ITA)
T. Helmer (GER)
T. Schumacher (GER)

Bench:

M. Reus (GER)
Xavi (SPA)
E Cavani (ITA)
R. Weidenfeller (GER)

Injured:

H-G Schwarzenbeck (GER)

Good luck @Pat_Mustard

Šjor Bepo

Gerrard is a bit underrated here but i just cant see Stevie Me bonding well with Cruyff.....also, not that relevant but Cruyff didnt particularly rate Ruud so that partnership would also be interesting.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Gerrard is a bit underrated here but i just cant see Stevie Me bonding well with Cruyff.....also, not that relevant but Cruyff didnt particularly rate Ruud so that partnership would also be interesting.
I really don't see Gerrard having a dominant style of his own so as to not bond with anyone, far less a flexible player like Cruyff. He's a poor man's Nesskens in here, I suppose! :D

Šjor Bepo

I really don't see Gerrard having a dominant style of his own so as to not bond with anyone, far less a flexible player like Cruyff. He's a poor man's Nesskens in here, I suppose! :D
Did you ever see Stevie play? :lol:
There is no surprise his best games were when Rafa(or was it Houllier, feck knows it was ages ago) moved him away from the middle of the pitch so when he was playing behind Torres or when he played on the right he was immense. Put him in the middle and he was still great individually but others suffered, most notably Xabi Alonso who reached another dimension once he moved away from him.
Stylistically though yeah, Neeskens is a very good comparison but IMO the issue of above could easily ruin that potential partnership.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
I like Edgar's team, but if the formation is changed to a 4-3-3, I like it much better, especially against Pat's team.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
@Pat_Mustard
@Edgar Allan Pillow please post your leagues for the players and i will add them to the OP, cheers

good luck both!
Playing XI:

Pat Jennings (England)
Aldair (Italy)
Daniel Passarella (Italy)
Diego Godin (Spain)
Luis Enrique (Spain)
Antonio Benarrivo (Italy)
Uli Stielike (Spain)
Bryan Robson (England)
George Best (England)
Mario Kempes (Spain)
Andriy Shevchenko (Italy)

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I like Edgar's team, but if the formation is changed to a 4-3-3, I like it much better, especially against Pat's team.

The functional formation I had before was like, since I wanted Seeler in a free role behind RvN rather than shunting him to the right. But still, just minor nuances. I believe this is how the team will function anyway.
Just went with a symmetrical formation for OP in the end. easier on the eye.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Gerrard and Hassler are really good players for the diamond and it's a cracking pair of wing-backs too. Tend to agree that Johan would not gel that well with RVN/Gerrard, but at the same time he bossed it with a Gerrard clone in Neeskens and with an RVN figure up top may have fecking won the World Cup in 1974. However, think the system suits Pat as it funnels Edgar's attack to be fairly narrow into a square of attrition around Passarella, Robson and Stielike.

Pat_Mustard

:lol: was wondering when you'd notice that!
:D

On the topic of the side-backs in this match, while you doubtless have the more illustrious names I was happy to note Benarrivo's excellent team record against Zanetti, presumably as his direct opponent most of the time as he'll be here:

It's nothing match-deciding of course, but it does suggest that Benarrivo is more than capable of holding his own here in a role that suits him to a tee.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
On the topic of the side-backs in this match, while you doubtless have the more illustrious names I was happy to note Benarrivo's excellent team record against Zanetti, presumably as his direct opponent most of the time as he'll be here:
I have a high regard for Benarrivo!

It's the other flank that I believe I have the edge. Cruyff drifting wide faces a makeshift midfielder. Now, as much as I like Lucha, he certainly isn't a fullback and there will be lots of space between him and Lucio, a weakness that will be exploited time and again.

Passarella aside, I don't rate either of your fullbacks as good wide CBs as they are not known for drifting wide. Wide Cbs need space to be flexible and Godin definitely lacks that.

Pat_Mustard

I have a high regard for Benarrivo!

It's the other flank that I believe I have the edge. Cruyff drifting wide faces a makeshift midfielder. Now, as much as I like Lucha, he certainly isn't a fullback and there will be lots of space between him and Lucio, a weakness that will be exploited time and again.

Passarella aside, I don't rate either of your fullbacks as good wide CBs as they are not known for drifting wide. Wide Cbs need space to be flexible and Godin definitely lacks that.
Luis Enrique has racked up plenty of playing time as a full-back, as well as countless appearances as a wide midfielder. Here he is vs the Dream Team playing at right-back for example, and having a hand in Real's first two goals:

https://footballia.net/matches/real-madrid-fc-barcelona-supercopa-1993-1994

As for Aldair, he played the RCB role for Brazil quite impressively in Lazaroni's 3-5-2, with Brazil conceding only 1 goal in the 9 matches he played across the 1989 Copa America tournament and their 1990 WC qualifying campaign.

Some commentary about his role performance level from this interesting website:

vs Chile WC Qualifier 1989:

With Aldair having recovered from a sore knee, the stylish central defender regained his place at the expense of Ricardo Rocha to the right in their central defensive unit. The Italy based ace was as comfortable in possession as he was when making a header, and certainly looked a class act. He was operating with libero Mauro Galvão inside of him...To complete the back three, there was captain Ricardo Gomes as the left-sided centre half.
vs Venezuela WC Qualifier 1989:

Aldair, the right-sided among their central defenders, was someone who always looked like he was playing with a spring in his step. He was quite graceful in his approach, and though he was a very good player aerially, he was perhaps best noticed for his contributions when in possession. He ran so effortlessly with the ball at his feet, and he was equipped with fine technical ability, certainly above the average level of a centre-back.
3 Aldair 7.3
unbeatable in the air, and very comfortable along the ground. Joined in coming forward on a few occasions, and looked sound and full of belief
vs Italy pre-tournament friendly 1989:

Only a few of minutes later, Lazaroni brought off another of his more impressive players when Aldair, who’d picked up a knock, was substituted with André Cruz. The right-sided of the three central defenders had been an integral part of a tight defence
3 Aldair 7.4
has pace, agility, positional awareness, body strength, is assured on the ball – limitless potential! Part of a very solid defensive line. Comes off with a slight knock
In general with this formation, I'd rather have an experienced 3-5-2 player or someone with extensive experience at FB than Godin, but against a centre-forward duo with Seeler as his nominal opponent he looks a very good fit indeed. My worry here was that you'd go 4-3-3 with Reus as a RW, where Godin would have been pulled out of his comfort zone more often than I'd have liked.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
:D

It's nothing match-deciding of course, but it does suggest that Benarrivo is more than capable of holding his own here in a role that suits him to a tee.
That Parma team. :drool:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Those teams are absolutely stacked! Thought for sure that I'd be voting for Pat after seeing his team and then you have this Scirea-Cabrini-Zanetti defense with Cruyff & Seeler doing their magic up front.